Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Meltzer's obviously not the be-all and end-all, but it is notable that very few of Triple H's four star and above matches are just straightforward matches. Matches he has that are four stars and above without an additional gimmick:

Chris Benoit & Triple H vs. Chris Jericho & The Rock, WWF Raw April 26 2000
Chris Benoit vs Triple H, WWF No Mercy 2000
Chris Benoit & Chris Jericho vs. Steve Austin & Triple H, WWF RAW May 21 2001
Shawn Michaels vs. Triple H, WWE RAW 29 December 2003
Chris Benoit vs. Shawn Michaels vs. Triple H, Wrestlemania XX, 2004
Jeff Hardy vs. Triple H, WWE No Mercy 2008
Daniel Bryan vs. Triple H, Wrestlemania XXX, 2014
Dean Ambrose vs. Triple H, WWE Roadblock 2016

Everything else above four stars was a gimmick match or a huge multi-man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Lamuella posted:

Meltzer's obviously not the be-all and end-all, but it is notable that very few of Triple H's four star and above matches are just straightforward matches. Matches he has that are four stars and above without an additional gimmick:

Chris Benoit & Triple H vs. Chris Jericho & The Rock, WWF Raw April 26 2000
Chris Benoit vs Triple H, WWF No Mercy 2000
Chris Benoit & Chris Jericho vs. Steve Austin & Triple H, WWF RAW May 21 2001
Shawn Michaels vs. Triple H, WWE RAW 29 December 2003
Chris Benoit vs. Shawn Michaels vs. Triple H, Wrestlemania XX, 2004
Jeff Hardy vs. Triple H, WWE No Mercy 2008
Daniel Bryan vs. Triple H, Wrestlemania XXX, 2014
Dean Ambrose vs. Triple H, WWE Roadblock 2016

Everything else above four stars was a gimmick match or a huge multi-man.

That's mostly true of Edge, too. In fairness to Edge though, I don't think he's nearly the mark for himself HHH is. He's also not as divisive.

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at 12:29 on Dec 14, 2020

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
It's pretty funny that HHH's last great match is against a guy who would eventually be world champion of the promotion that's now kicking his rear end every Wednesday night

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

pseudodragon posted:

Presumably even in Kayfabe there’s people at Gorilla to cue people’s entry for regular appearances and they’d still be there to see people running past to hit the sound board or call the booth or whatever. Now if we do assume there’s actual production staff behind the scenes, why there isn’t any security stopping people from running in is another story.

We've seen what kayfabe WWE security looks like, they're not going to be able to stop anyone anyway.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

pseudodragon posted:

Presumably even in Kayfabe there’s people at Gorilla to cue people’s entry for regular appearances and they’d still be there to see people running past to hit the sound board or call the booth or whatever. Now if we do assume there’s actual production staff behind the scenes, why there isn’t any security stopping people from running in is another story.

They could just be going out there to talk or take a look around. It's not illegal to watch wrestling yet!

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
I always thought it was funny that WWE in kayfabe hire a group of security guards that are absolutely useless and never seem to be even reprimanded.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
The worst I can recall was the "R and B Security" (Russo and Bischoff) guys from late WCW, who were just a bunch of faceless goons who got battered every week.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
TNA also did a big security infighting angle in the weekly PPV era

FakePoet
Feb 6, 2006

Woo. Pig. Sooie.

Hot Rope Guy
Uranage: how do you (personally, and definitionally) pronounce this, what are its origins, and why is the one Jay White does so much better than all the others? Is anyone else even close?

Seriously, it's like a super in one of the more cartoonish wrestling games.

Jay White is just great.

(I've always said "your a nah ghee", but my brain isn't confident in that).

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Yer-uh-NAH-gay

The uranage is only a finisher-caliber move if you lift, turn, and throw them over your hip. Otherwise it's just a lazy-rear end chokeslam.

The uranage originated as a judo technique, but wrestling uranages aren't the same technique as the judo uranage. I have no idea who first did it in wrestling and called it that.

Benne posted:

Every time people say this I feel like I'm being gaslit, I've seen Jarrett's midcard work in the WWF and WCW and it was all loving terrible. He's never been good.
That is correct. His work is the precise mix of competent, bland, and derivative that makes you wish you were watching something as entertaining as Sid vs. the Nightstalker or a random Khali match. Everything about his persona is an affront to the senses and the people defending him at any point should be ashamed. I know in my heart that wrestling is bad because it is the reason I know who he is.

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Dec 14, 2020

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

FakePoet posted:

Uranage: how do you (personally, and definitionally) pronounce this, what are its origins, and why is the one Jay White does so much better than all the others? Is anyone else even close?

its a judo throw, the ura nage

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

FakePoet posted:

Jay White is just great.

You're an Auggy

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer
your-ah-NAH-gay

FakePoet
Feb 6, 2006

Woo. Pig. Sooie.

Hot Rope Guy

Aphrodite posted:

You're an Auggy

"You're an Auggy, Harry".

Dangerously close to "You're an Aggie", which...gross.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

It should be closer to oo-rah-NAH-geh.

Rule of thumb is that Japanese syllables break at the vowel so u-ra-na-ge. Unlike Enligh, the syllables always sound the same so once you know, you don’t have to guess. Like the U is always pronounced like oo in boot.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

pseudodragon posted:

It should be closer to oo-rah-NAH-geh.

Rule of thumb is that Japanese syllables break at the vowel so u-ra-na-ge. Unlike Enligh, the syllables always sound the same so once you know, you don’t have to guess. Like the U is always pronounced like oo in boot.

Technically the Japanese ”u” is a bit closer to something like the German ”ü” than the English ”oo” but yeah

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Maxwell Lord posted:

TNA also did a big security infighting angle in the weekly PPV era

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

a cyborg mug posted:

Technically the Japanese ”u” is a bit closer to something like the German ”ü” than the English ”oo” but yeah

Thanks. I thought the oo didn’t sound quite right but I couldn’t put my finger on a better sound in English.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
What's the best match The Miz was ever in?

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
Probably his title defense against Lawler

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
The US title match where he defends against Bryan.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

The IC title vs career match against Ziggler

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Related, I really liked the intro to his match with Cena at whatever Wrestlemania. The confident heel who got where he is by hook or crook, through all the bullying and being held back, now standing tall at the top of the company.

It's a shame that the match itself was hot dogshit and his actual character didn't match the intro.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Didn't he get concussed halfway through that match?

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer

Memento posted:

What's the best match The Miz was ever in?

The top snowflake matches for The Miz per Da Meltz (that aren't Rumbles/multi-man ladder/Elimination Chambers) are:

4 1/2 stars
Cesaro vs. Kevin Owens vs. Sami Zayn vs. The Miz, 5/22/16 - this is highest user rated one on Cagematch
Dolph Ziggler vs. The Miz, 10/9/16

4 1/4 stars
Alberto Del Rio vs. CM Punk vs. The Miz, TLC, 12/18/11
Finn Balor vs. Seth Rollins vs. The Miz, 5/1/17
Seth Rollins vs. The Miz, 5/6/18

4 stars
John Morrison vs. The Miz, falls count anywhere, 1/3/11
John Cena vs. John Morrison vs. The Miz, steel cage, 5/1/11
Dolph Ziggler vs. The Miz, ladder match, 12/4/16

His Daniel Bryan match from Summerlam 18 was also really good.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
That 4 way is great, but I feel like Miz is in the ring for like 40 secs.

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

El Gallinero Gros posted:

The US title match where he defends against Bryan.

I like that one because for SOME reason Miz breaks out a bunch of Nigel McGuinness spots he's never done before or since.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Dimebags Brain posted:

I like that one because for SOME reason Miz breaks out a bunch of Nigel McGuinness spots he's never done before or since.

The reason is "Bryan Danielson laid the match out", most likely.

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values
The best he can ever be is “okay,” there’s just no way anyone could EVER be invested emotionally in a Miz match. He’s a cartoon. Even if you were into the Bryan stuff, it was more because you wondered if WWE would really gently caress Bryan that bad, not because you were invested in The Miz.

Someone posted that Bray Wyatt threatened The Miz’s wife and child, and The Miz came out for that match and did his same stupid rear end Hollywood entrance and locked up as usual. That really hammered it home. How could you ever loving care about these WWE baby faces. They don’t even care if you threaten to hurt their kid. Just absolute total losers.

bartok
May 10, 2006

Gaz-L posted:

The reason is "Bryan Danielson laid the match out", most likely.

That must be why Bray Wyatt's only good singles match was against Daniel Bryan.

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

Tato posted:

The best he can ever be is “okay,” there’s just no way anyone could EVER be invested emotionally in a Miz match. He’s a cartoon. Even if you were into the Bryan stuff, it was more because you wondered if WWE would really gently caress Bryan that bad, not because you were invested in The Miz.

Someone posted that Bray Wyatt threatened The Miz’s wife and child, and The Miz came out for that match and did his same stupid rear end Hollywood entrance and locked up as usual. That really hammered it home. How could you ever loving care about these WWE baby faces. They don’t even care if you threaten to hurt their kid. Just absolute total losers.

miz vs. rey fenix would be a compelling horror show

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Imagine the Austin Theory 'WRESTLEMANIA' spot but an entire match.

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

when you jump at the king, you best not miz

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

bartok posted:

That must be why Bray Wyatt's only good singles match was against Daniel Bryan.

Bryan is a bastard because he tricked me into thinking Bray was a good wrestler. Thankfully John Cena was there to bury him and show me the truth.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Dimebags Brain posted:

Bryan is a bastard because he tricked me into thinking Bray was a good wrestler. Thankfully John Cena was there to bury him and show me the truth.

Cena had a better match with Bray than Bryan! The stairs spot in their last man standing match is an all timer.

bartok
May 10, 2006

MassRafTer posted:

Cena had a better match with Bray than Bryan! The stairs spot in their last man standing match is an all timer.

Probably going to get poo poo for this but Cena is a better worker when it comes to the WWE style.

cauliflower jones
Nov 8, 2009

Tato posted:

The Miz is the ultimate pretending to be a wrestler wrestler and his ascension to being a credible and relied upon guy on the roster is definitely one of the first signs that the product was beginning to decay. It showed that they were starting to value boot licking over talent and everything began downward spiraling from there.

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

MassRafTer posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_rkTHA6bYKA

Hell yeah!

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

GAME PLANS? We don't need no stinking game plans.

:cry: :cry: :cry:

FakePoet posted:

Jay White is just great.

A lot of the guys Jay wrestles are very athletic mad men with very little regard for their own health.

So they all put a little extra on the bump

Edit

Also the way njpw shoots action from low I think adds impact.

So it's the fact Jay is quite strong, his opponents are willing to bump hard and the way the action is shot imo

Burn Down Canberra fucked around with this message at 06:57 on Dec 16, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

This is appropos of nothing. And sorry if it should go in the social media thread.

But I have watched a few KANAchan youtube videos recently, and also watching Shayna Bazzler playing video games on UpUpDownDown and am noticing how much of an adorable dorky cutiepie they both are. I also notice Nick Gage, and how nice a man he seems to be, and Minoru Suzuki in his silly fedoras.

All four of these people could and would kick the poo poo out of me. All four of these people are angry, intimidating monsters in the ring, yet snugglebunnies outside of it.

My question is, do any of you like me, love the fact that some of the meannest, most violent wrestlers are so wholesome and sweet in real life?

Also who are the sweetest most wholesome wrestlers in real life? I don't mean cool, or even nice. I mean like Asuka, daggy middle aged mums trying and failing to build computer chairs style wholesome.