Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Game of the Decade
This poll is closed.
Bowsette 69424 23.78%
Metis Souls 85 0.03%
Metisnite 7 0.00%
Skymetis 26 0.01%
Gone Metis 9 0.00%
MGSV: Phantom Pain (Metis Gear Solid) 13 0.00%
Journey 10 0.00%
Doom 20Metis 12 0.00%
Metis Presents: House Party 95 0.03%
Xcom: Metis Unknown 19 0.01%
Metis (gamer of the decade) (no gamer moments) 36 0.01%
The Metis 3 24 0.01%
METIISSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!! 222220 76.11%
Total: 291980 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

wait is this the yakuza with the adult baby thing, i get royally skeeved out by pictures of that

(e) like a dragon, i mean

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Ciaphas posted:

wait is this the yakuza with the adult baby thing, i get royally skeeved out by pictures of that

(e) like a dragon, i mean

The well known clip is from Kiwami 2 but it happens again in LAD.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

daaaamniiiiiit

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Buying games when they are new is the only way I'm likely to finish them.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Put that sunk cost fallacy to work

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
https://www.ign.com/articles/cyberpunk-2077-for-xbox-one-and-playstation-4-review

IGN posted:

It fails to hit even the lowest bar of technical quality one should expect even when playing on lower-end hardware. It performs so poorly that it makes combat, driving, and what is otherwise a master craft of storytelling legitimately difficult to look at. It is not an exaggeration to say that I’ve felt nauseated after playing because of the terrible frame rate. It really is that bad, and it’s very suspicious that CD Projekt Red refused to provide console review copies ahead of launch.
In my original tests on patch 1.02, frame rate dipped into the teens on Xbox One during key story moments involving combat, and while patch 1.04 promised more stability, it still struggles to maintain 30fps and crashes are still frequent. At best it will regularly crash to the system screen on Xbox One; at worst it’ll hard-lock your system and you have to turn it off and on again.

In short, neither the PS4 or Xbox One is able to hold a steady frame rate, and they often freeze altogether for seconds at a time. On the base model Xbox One, it appears to be running at less than 720p resolution at times (though that fluctuates due to dynamic scaling). Even so, you can expect to see it drop as low as 10 frames per second during combat, which is all but unplayable, and it’s around 20fps even when you’re doing simple and routine things like walking outside in the introduction. The PS4 is slightly better in performance and stability since patch 1.04, but at the sacrifice of texture load-in time. Characters will often appear blocky while you wait an agonizingly long time for their faces to show up to the party, and geometry or textures will sometimes fail to appear even with all the effects like film grain and motion blur turned off.

This doesn't sound great

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Put that sunk cost fallacy to work

It's a push-pull kind of thing. If I'm only willing to buy a game on sale, chances are I'm probably not too heavily invested in completing it to begin with. Also I like to get through games when they are new so that other people are talking about them and I'm not just posting into the void about poo poo nobody will ever play, which is always pathetic. And every single game I've ever thought about purchasing on sale eventually comes to Gamepass now, so problem solved there.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

exquisite tea posted:

It's a push-pull kind of thing. If I'm only willing to buy a game on sale, chances are I'm probably not too heavily invested in completing it to begin with. Also I like to get through games when they are new so that other people are talking about them and I'm not just posting into the void about poo poo nobody will ever play, which is always pathetic. And every single game I've ever thought about purchasing on sale eventually comes to Gamepass now, so problem solved there.

Yeah, same.

Except I buy DLC for games on gamepass when they surprise me and I want more

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

exquisite tea posted:

posting into the void about poo poo nobody will ever play, which is always pathetic

I'm in this post and I don't like it

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

The DF Bone video is a thing. They have a full minute hang on the OG Xbox One. It's an (entirely foreseeable) disaster on base consoles.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

fridge corn posted:

Who spends more than 40 quid on a game? :confused:

I spent £62 on Skies of Arcadia back in February and it was worth it as the game is great and I still haven't finished it. Also it seemed to mysteriously double in value a few months later :tinfoil:

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
There's nothing stopping you from posting about new games even if you haven't played them

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

One Cardiovorax is enough.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Convex posted:

I spent £62 on Skies of Arcadia back in February and it was worth it as the game is great and I still haven't finished it. Also it seemed to mysteriously double in value a few months later :tinfoil:

Im not about to judge somebody for spending money on rare or out of print video games because that is a completely different market, but brand new games are almost guaranteed to drop a third or even half its price within 6months to a year that its almost a no-brainer to wait (also itll have been patched regularly over that time and be a much better and more complete exerience)

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I hope Sony backs off from £70 games because that is way too much for any game but I guess people are buying them anyways

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Help Im Alive posted:

I hope Sony backs off from £70 games because that is way too much for any game but I guess people are buying them anyways

everyones doing it but ubisoft and theyve only said thats for 2020 and they "might" review it after that

the first indication of $70 games was cod for both series x and ps5 a while back

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
The 2 games i spent the most on are both metal gears: twin snakes and the special edition of mgs3

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
Actually make it 3 since i pretty much bought zone of the enders for the mgs demo

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

new games fukken suk!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Hwurmp posted:

new games fukken suk!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:okboomer:

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Stux posted:

everyones doing it but ubisoft and theyve only said thats for 2020 and they "might" review it after that

the first indication of $70 games was cod for both series x and ps5 a while back

Yeah but £70 is $93!! Our standard price for a new game was £50 a few months ago

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Help Im Alive posted:

Yeah but £70 is $93!! Our standard price for a new game was £50 a few months ago

And you saw how many PS5s just got sold? Welcome to 70 town.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

everyone is too entitled to do what I want them to these days

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

exquisite tea posted:

did someone ask for a post about sonic and the secret rings??

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Looper posted:

did someone ask for a post about sonic and the secret rings??

Can't I keep uncontrollably wobbling away from where I want to be

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Help Im Alive posted:

I have come to terms that I will by no games new this generation. Waiting on sale is going to be the way to go. I will break this rule for Remake 2.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Help Im Alive posted:

lol if you dont have a us psn account and temporarily change your address to a fake us one on amazon to buy psn cards so you can get release games in dollar prices

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
i typically don't care about spoilers but spiritfarer is one game where i wish i hadn't accidentally learned the real premise in advance

knowing that the game is yet another metaphorical dying dream blunts its bigger moments

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

I bought cyberpunk for the full price because I wanted to play it it now

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
I bought my wife Cyberpunk because she wanted to play it now, and when she's done with it I can steam library share it and it's basically like me getting it for free. GALAXY BRAIN.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Oxxidation posted:

i typically don't care about spoilers but spiritfarer is one game where i wish i hadn't accidentally learned the real premise in advance

knowing that the game is yet another metaphorical dying dream blunts its bigger moments

What is it with artistic, emotional indie games where they can't just... be a fantasy story with fantastical elements. They so regularly end up to be an in-universe hallucination or dream or story someone's telling. It's like they don't trust the audience to get the metaphor unless it's a specifically-acknowledged metaphor in-universe or something.

Or like, are they all written by people who got MFAs in creative writing? Because I remember my creative writing MA being super down on anything that broke from total realism, which seemed to push anyone interested in more magical elements to always find some way to make them "realistic" to include or something like that.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Saint Freak posted:

I bought my wife Cyberpunk because she wanted to play it now, and when she's done with it I can steam library share it and it's basically like me getting it for free. GALAXY BRAIN.

You could have bought the GOG version and just copied it

The Dark Souls of Posters
Nov 4, 2011

Just Post, Kupo
13 Sentinels update. I've completed the first wave of battles, and have continued unlocking story goodies, and things are escalating quickly. Minami's segment about halfway through her completion, in the bathroom, has been the wildest for me yet.

EDIT: Cleaned up the spoiler to prevent someone accidentally revealing since the preface was vague.

The Dark Souls of Posters fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Dec 15, 2020

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Harrow posted:

What is it with artistic, emotional indie games where they can't just... be a fantasy story with fantastical elements. They so regularly end up to be an in-universe hallucination or dream or story someone's telling. It's like they don't trust the audience to get the metaphor unless it's a specifically-acknowledged metaphor in-universe or something.

Or like, are they all written by people who got MFAs in creative writing? Because I remember my creative writing MA being super down on anything that broke from total realism, which seemed to push anyone interested in more magical elements to always find some way to make them "realistic" to include or something like that.

This is one reason why I think Hellblade is awesome because it comes down strongly on the side of saying everything that Senua experienced on her journey WAS real, because it was real to her, and since you're in her head the entire time there's no competing vision of reality to show you what "actually" happened.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

Convex posted:

You could have bought the GOG version and just copied it

And not get STEAM CHIEVOS??

Besides I'm busy right now with uh, Naval Ops Warship Gunner 2, the latest and greatest PS2 boat sim.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://twitter.com/Nibellion/status/1338812331132936192

Wasn't this supposed to come out in February when the current gen consoles would be the only ones

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

exquisite tea posted:

This is one reason why I think Hellblade is awesome because it comes down strongly on the side of saying everything that Senua experienced on her journey WAS real, because it was real to her, and since you're in her head the entire time there's no competing vision of reality to show you what "actually" happened.

the other recent indie game that pulled this poo poo, jimmy and the pulsating mass, also worked because of a similarly solipsistic outlook - the characters populating that game were just caricatures of their "real" selves as viewed by a scared, sick little kid, and everything that happened in it was ultimately about giving him the nerve to move on. jimmy is at the center of everything that happens to him, with his allies and enemies alike fixating on him exclusively, because the game world exists for his benefit

this really doesn't work in spiritfarer because the passengers are very much the same individuals as they were in life, just portrayed as cuddly animal people, and dealing with their issues and struggles, rather than stella's, is the crux of the game. flipping that on its head last-minute to turn all of those characters into props for stella's own self-actualization just cheapens the entire premise

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Waffleman_ posted:

https://twitter.com/Nibellion/status/1338812331132936192

Wasn't this supposed to come out in February when the current gen consoles would be the only ones

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I'm enjoying CP77, so I don't really care at this point. I care more about the mental health and wellbeing of the devs, who I imagine behind closed doors, are being thrown under the bus. Another example of why the game industry needs an union. Management at CDPR sounds almost as bad as at Bioware, I mean at least CDPR leadership is taking some responsibility for this mess, Bioware's leadership threw their own devs under, and blamed EA Games for everything on Anthem even though EA was very hands off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Ciaphas posted:

daaaamniiiiiit

It's an optional sidequest in both games so if it really bothers you they're pretty easy to avoid.

In LAD : ignore the sidequest where a guy wants you to get baby formula and hot water.

A Sometimes Food fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Dec 15, 2020