Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players
https://techcrunch.com/2020/10/15/hangouts-meet-chat/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Yeah, if you want to keep using Hangouts then just download Chat when they tell you to and carry on.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
The thing I enjoyed about Hangouts is that I could use it with Miranda NG on the desktop and easily enjoy cross-platform chats. I'm going to be upset when the change occurs because it might take a year or two before chat clients are able to add support (if ever) and you know Google will do something really dumb with desktop support like they did with the original Hangouts chat (requiring you to install and run Chrome and installing it as some sort of weird Chrome-based app).

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

Nalin posted:

The thing I enjoyed about Hangouts is that I could use it with Miranda NG on the desktop and easily enjoy cross-platform chats. I'm going to be upset when the change occurs because it might take a year or two before chat clients are able to add support (if ever) and you know Google will do something really dumb with desktop support like they did with the original Hangouts chat (requiring you to install and run Chrome and installing it as some sort of weird Chrome-based app).

The Hangouts Chrome app is (mostly) amazing and I will continue to use it until they pry it off my desktop. :mad: The floating chat-heads feature has been very useful for many years with Hangouts combined with Google Voice.

5TonsOfFlax
Aug 31, 2001
Don't bother. Hangouts is being discontinued, but replaced by Chat. All your old conversations should all be available, and Hangouts and Chat interoperate.
"Discontinued"is classic Google marketing gently caress up. The same people are working on both products. Chat is more like successor product than a replacement. This is not a Play Music -> Youtube Music situation.

Rip Testes
Jan 29, 2004

I never forget a face, but in your case I'll be glad to make an exception.
Picked up a Pixel 4a 5G, but still retain my Pixel 2XL. How concerned should I be about lack of security updates from here on out? Would it be worth it to try and get something like Caylxos running? Anyone with experience there would be interested in your take and the pro/cons are.

Rip Testes fucked around with this message at 08:03 on Dec 13, 2020

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

Rip Testes posted:

Picked up a Pixel 4a 5G, but still retain my Pixel 2XL. How concerned should I be about lack of security updates from here on out? Would it be worth it to try and get something like Caylxos ruining? Anyone with experience there would be interested in your take and the pro/cons are.

Are you still going to be using the old one? CalyxOS is stupid easy now to get running with it thanks to a flasher tool they recently released.

CalyxOS is kind of a different beast, but don't take that as a bad thing. It's more privacy focused so by default it will come with a very limited feature set from Google. You can opt to not include any Google services, but understand that means app support is very limited. Most people will take advantage of FOSS alternatives from F-Droid.

I made the switch to CalyxOS a while ago and recently hopped over to GrapheneOS to get a little deeper into degoogling. It's been a good transition and I'd be happy to answer any questions for people curious.

Rip Testes
Jan 29, 2004

I never forget a face, but in your case I'll be glad to make an exception.

cage-free egghead posted:

Are you still going to be using the old one? CalyxOS is stupid easy now to get running with it thanks to a flasher tool they recently released.

CalyxOS is kind of a different beast, but don't take that as a bad thing. It's more privacy focused so by default it will come with a very limited feature set from Google. You can opt to not include any Google services, but understand that means app support is very limited. Most people will take advantage of FOSS alternatives from F-Droid.

I made the switch to CalyxOS a while ago and recently hopped over to GrapheneOS to get a little deeper into degoogling. It's been a good transition and I'd be happy to answer any questions for people curious.

My wife is still on a flip by preference, but it has become such a POS in all ways that she'll being taking over my older Pixel. Now that support for it has run out I am confused over the level of concern I should have over security and whether CalyxOS or an alternative would address those, whatever they may be. I doubt I am the full de-Google camp. My wife's usage needs would be limited. Would still need to support the camera which was sort of the main point of the Pixel, support mapping/driving, possibly videoconferencing to keep up with family and Spotify support would be welcome, but not essential. That's it.

Being completely ignorant, what are my options here and if I purse another OS is there any possibility of recovering the last Android install from Google that was installed?

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Anyone know why my new phone (S20) doesn't give me the option to chromecast from the chrome browser but I can do it fine from, for example, the youtube app?

I didn't have this problem with my S8.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

Rip Testes posted:

My wife is still on a flip by preference, but it has become such a POS in all ways that she'll being taking over my older Pixel. Now that support for it has run out I am confused over the level of concern I should have over security and whether CalyxOS or an alternative would address those, whatever they may be. I doubt I am the full de-Google camp. My wife's usage needs would be limited. Would still need to support the camera which was sort of the main point of the Pixel, support mapping/driving, possibly videoconferencing to keep up with family and Spotify support would be welcome, but not essential. That's it.

Being completely ignorant, what are my options here and if I purse another OS is there any possibility of recovering the last Android install from Google that was installed?

Usually Calyx and official Lineage builds will include the latest AOSP security patches so either of those would be fine. Lineage is a fine choice too and will likely have a longer run than Calyx simply because of the latter's team size being much smaller.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
I'm on a Pixel 4; anyone else's brightness get annoying starting... I wanna say about two weeks ago? After some update, I'm not sure if Ambient EQ stopped working or if it's just working wrong, but when I wake up now I feel like I'm staring into the sun, but if I turn the brightness down then I can barely see anything once I've walked into a better lit room and am more fully awake. Not sure there's much I can do in the way of options other than sliding the brightness to suit me every morning; toggling ambient doesn't seem to help.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!
So...seemingly everything that uses a Google account is currently down. Youtube still works if you're not logged in. Gmail still seems to work for me, so things might be going up and down, but as of right now, Google still has EVERYTHING listed as down.

https://www.google.com/appsstatus#hl=en&v=status

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

Vykk.Draygo posted:

So...seemingly everything that uses a Google account is currently down. Youtube still works if you're not logged in. Gmail still seems to work for me, so things might be going up and down, but as of right now, Google still has EVERYTHING listed as down.

Wreaked havoc with my Google Home's morning routines.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Vykk.Draygo posted:

This explains so much.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

After the December update, you can get rid of the media playback quick setting through long press and selecting "Dismiss" now.

So that's better at least.

https://www.androidpolice.com/2020/12/14/android-11s-media-controls-can-be-completely-dismissed-after-the-december-patch/

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

bull3964 posted:

After the December update, you can get rid of the media playback quick setting through long press and selecting "Dismiss" now.

https://www.androidpolice.com/2020/12/14/android-11s-media-controls-can-be-completely-dismissed-after-the-december-patch/

Cries in Pixel 2 XL

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
Are there any phones out or on the horizon to look out for that aren't a OnePlus or Pixel? I'm not a big fan of the former due to my experience with the software on the OP7Pro and the latter since I don't feel great about paying a premium for years old camera hardware. I'm guessing the answer is no and I'll just suck it up and get next year's Pixel to replace my 7 Pro but maybe I'm overlooking something.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

sharkytm posted:

Cries in Pixel 2 XL

I want to say the same thing happened with the Pixel where the very last release had a bug that was fixed in the next security patch that it would never receive.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

I have no idea how to send a text to a new person in Google messages anymore. Even if I add them as a Google contact there's no option to actually start typing?

Edit: photo. Just trying to get my dumb gently caress neighbour to not play loud dance music in the middle of the night. Tapping the check mark does nothing

UnfortunateSexFart fucked around with this message at 12:36 on Dec 15, 2020

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

I have no idea how to send a text to a new person in Google messages anymore. Even if I add them as a Google contact there's no option to actually start typing?

Edit: photo. Just trying to get my dumb gently caress neighbour to not play loud dance music in the middle of the night. Tapping the check mark does nothing

When I do it, there's a text entry box right above the keyboard that your image lacks. Mine's different in a lot of ways, actually. There is nothing in the title bar, just the back arrow, and there are icons on the right for video chat, phone call, search, and overflow. The next line is the same, with the selected party from my contacts but no dialpad for additional contacts, instead it has the "Create group" icon that yours has on the next line.

In fact, the only way I can get my screen to match yours is to click that Create Group but then it says "Add People" and not "New Conversation". When I'm in that mode it will not allow me to start a conversation without confirming the recipients are complete by hitting a Done button on the right of the action bar that your screen also lacks.

In other words, you're hosed.

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

I do not hear you, I do not see you, I will not let you get into the Duggler's head with your bring-downs.

Upgraded from a pixel 3 XL to a pixel 5. Really liking it so far, it's a smaller phone but it feels a lot better to hold and the back isn't made of material that's just waiting to shatter. The 90hz screen is nice and is just enough of a boost over 60hz to be noticeable.

The main reason I upgraded is because the charging port on my 3 XL hasn't worked right for like 1.5 years and I figured why bother fixing it now that it's truly died. The 5 took forever to charge and I've been using it all morning (1 hr SOT) and I'm still at 96% so I'm hopeful the battery life is really good.

The buttons are also extremely clicky which is, as we all know, essential to phone happiness.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

bull3964 posted:

Will this finally let me dismiss this "Spotify is trying to play" notification :v:

Epiphyte
Apr 7, 2006

So what's my risk to continue using my Pixel 2 XL now that security updates have ceased?

I don't sideload anything, and at the moment I don't have a compelling reason to upgrade so I was hoping to continue using the phone through 2021

redbrouw
Nov 14, 2018

ACAB
Has anyone had any problems with the Pixel 5 in ordinary Google ecosystem app use? I have a 2XL, and I want to wait for a deal on a 5. I find myself only concerned about dust resistance (I work in concrete, silica gets everywhere), battery life and lack of jankiness, all of which the 5 hits without being 1000 bucks (I've been a nexus / pixel user from the beginning and just don't think I could stand non stock android). All day long I'm pretty much looking at Google sheets, Gmail, drive, YouTube and maybe a little awful and reddit.

I pretty much only use my phone to call in speaker, so I was also wondering about the under screen speaker being too quiet.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.

redbrouw posted:

Has anyone had any problems with the Pixel 5 in ordinary Google ecosystem app use? I have a 2XL, and I want to wait for a deal on a 5. I find myself only concerned about dust resistance (I work in concrete, silica gets everywhere), battery life and lack of jankiness, all of which the 5 hits without being 1000 bucks (I've been a nexus / pixel user from the beginning and just don't think I could stand non stock android). All day long I'm pretty much looking at Google sheets, Gmail, drive, YouTube and maybe a little awful and reddit.

I pretty much only use my phone to call in speaker, so I was also wondering about the under screen speaker being too quiet.

Zero problems using Google apps.

The speakerphone is LOUD. No problem there.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

Incessant Excess posted:

Are there any phones out or on the horizon to look out for that aren't a OnePlus or Pixel? I'm not a big fan of the former due to my experience with the software on the OP7Pro and the latter since I don't feel great about paying a premium for years old camera hardware. I'm guessing the answer is no and I'll just suck it up and get next year's Pixel to replace my 7 Pro but maybe I'm overlooking something.

The S20 series is acceptable if you like giant rear end phones that are too tall for any human hands, and the S21 should be out in early 2021. Can't say much about the OP series given that I've never had one, but the OP9 is also rumored for early 2021, and they always tinker with the software for each new phone there. The Sony Xperia II...exists, I guess. The real hard part with a phone that's not a OP8 or P5 is that unless you catch them on a great sale, the pricing is terrible by comparison.

For the Pixel, even though the camera itself is quite old by phone standards, it still takes shots as good or better than newer cameras do, and shouldn't be a reason to discount it.

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
The Pixel 5 under screen speaker is fine for regular phone calls. The "sweet spot" is a little lower than you'd expect, but no problems at all.

MeKeV
Aug 10, 2010
Well the disconnecting WIFI when there no internet thing is extremely annoying.

Was doing some network stuff & remote desktop from my phone (Pixel) quite happily until I temporarily disabled my adguard server, which took down the phones DNS and in turn repeatedly kicked me off Wifi, so I couldnt turn it back on again.

Managed to fix it, but a 'force wifi anyway' for local networking, used to work just fine.

edit: vvv Tried that with mobile data, didn't make any difference.

MeKeV fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Dec 15, 2020

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

If I ever need to connect to a wifi network with no internet for whatever reason I usually just toggle off mobile data, it'll connect and use it just fine then

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

If you have issues with OnePlus's software experience, I can't imagine you would be happy with Samsung.

But no, there's really not much else out there. Pixel, Samsung, and OnePlus are the android manufacturer trifecta right now. LG is out their doing their thing and Motorola is puttering around as well, but both have poo poo for software support while those three are all decent at this point and will last you for at least 3 years.

Kinda curious what OnePlus does for the 9 Pro camera. I'm of a mind that the OP8P had the best overall camera system of 2020 and I really hope they don't go back to the crap sensor they have on the 8T for the 9 Pro.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

bull3964 posted:

If you have issues with OnePlus's software experience, I can't imagine you would be happy with Samsung.

The feature set itself is fine, it's the reliability and slow updates that bother me mostly. I've had my phone sometimes being "stuck" in apps for months now where swipe to home just won't register for some reason.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Slow updates? They are pretty much the fastest OEM outside of google for major OS updates.

Can't say I had that issue with my OP8P (or the OP7P prior to that.)

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
I've not looked too closely at other manufacturers update speeds but I'm waiting for the Android 11 update to hopefully fix my freezing issue three months after it's launch. I know that non Pixels are not great for update speed tho, so again, could very well be that this is not out of line for non Google devices.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
Not really sure I agree 100% with their methodology, but here's a quick rundown of how some other phones compare with updates: https://www.androidpolice.com/2020/12/07/android-phone-security-update-tracker/

Samsung is usually pretty quick, but drops the ball a little on some phones. OnePlus has been pretty good with the 8, not so great with the 7. Everyone else is strugglebusing it.

Also remember that in a lot of cases it's not just up to the manufacturer, but also the carrier; even with the Pixel, Verizon held the Dec update back for a week for whatever reason compared to other carriers.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Got the December update on my Pixel 2 today and was reminded that this will be the last official security update I'll get, and I can't believe I've had this thing for three years. Every smartphone I've had before it always had something that annoyed me but I've never had any complaints with this one, other than the usual battery degradation with age. I'd have replaced it by now but I know that screws up the water resistance which I rely on a lot.

Epiphyte posted:

So what's my risk to continue using my Pixel 2 XL now that security updates have ceased?

I don't sideload anything, and at the moment I don't have a compelling reason to upgrade so I was hoping to continue using the phone through 2021

I'm curious about this too, since I'm not really in the position to drop a thousand (or even a couple hundred) bucks on an upgrade for something that still works pretty well for me otherwise. I'm guessing Android forks are still a mess of trawling XDA forum posts and increasing security risks, but I haven't been there since getting my Pixel 2 since I never felt the need to root it or unlock the bootloader.

It'd be nice if LTS updates were a thing for any serious security issues that might come up, but of course that would lead to people not spending money on new phones. It'd be cool if there was something aftermarket like that for my phone like there is for my Asus router, but a phone is probably an order of magnitude more complicated for some random hobbyists to do that with.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Epiphyte posted:

Absolutely minimal risk. My giant corporate risk averse employer who has professional access control and makes everyone log into things with 3 factor lets a ton of employees run around with Galaxy S7s still.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Incessant Excess posted:

I've not looked too closely at other manufacturers update speeds but I'm waiting for the Android 11 update to hopefully fix my freezing issue three months after it's launch. I know that non Pixels are not great for update speed tho, so again, could very well be that this is not out of line for non Google devices.

Well, to give you an idea.

OnePlus 8 Pro got Android 11 back in early October. As with most manufacturers, current year flagship gets it first.

Here we are in December and the S20 line is JUST starting to see rollout of Android 11. Note 20 won't be until January. It looks like the prior gen S10 series may be scheduled to start getting it in January.

So, OnePlus beats Samsung on rollout with current gen, it may be possible that Samsung beats OnePlus for current gen - 1 (for flagship).

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

DrDork posted:

Samsung is usually pretty quick, but drops the ball a little on some phones

If you're in Canada, you will only get one Samsung phone update per quarter. It's brutal.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

What the gently caress do the cursed jesus carriers even have to do to the firmware before they can release it? That poo poo should just come right from the manufacturer to the phone end of story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

codo27 posted:

What the gently caress do the cursed jesus carriers even have to do to the firmware before they can release it? That poo poo should just come right from the manufacturer to the phone end of story.

Validate that it doesn't break something on their delicate, fragile, bespoke networks, mostly. Oh, and ensure that the correct custom 5G symbols are inserted along with whatever other bullshit carrier branding / "features" that they stack on top of the base image.