Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

the game makes visible a lot of game engine kludges that we normally don't notice. the one that stands out for me is the LOD for traffic - the cardboard cars from afar effect is pretty funny

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

shrike82 posted:

the game makes visible a lot of game engine kludges that we normally don't notice. the one that stands out for me is the LOD for traffic - the cardboard cars from afar effect is pretty funny

my favorite is the aggressive texture quality reduction when something goes off screen in conjunction with the raytraced reflections

https://streamable.com/m3i2wy

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~
Good lord, I knew the used GPU market was almost as insane as the new market, but looking at eBay prices for 1080 Tis has me seriously thinking about backing out of selling to one of my coworkers.

That said I've never actually sold anything on eBay, mainly just locally via Craigslist/FB and also here on SA Mart. How big of a pain in the rear end is it compared to those? I feel like there have to be *some* hijinks involved, but I don't have any actual data to go on.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Space Racist posted:

Good lord, I knew the used GPU market was almost as insane as the new market, but looking at eBay prices for 1080 Tis has me seriously thinking about backing out of selling to one of my coworkers.

That said I've never actually sold anything on eBay, mainly just locally via Craigslist/FB and also here on SA Mart. How big of a pain in the rear end is it compared to those? I feel like there have to be *some* hijinks involved, but I don't have any actual data to go on.

I'm curious too, since I have both a 980 and a 1080 that I would be willing to sell.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

SourKraut posted:

I'm curious too, since I have both a 980 and a 1080 that I would be willing to sell.

same i've got a 970 and 1080 ti collecting dust now, i've just been saving it for a rainy day and not wanting to get scammed on ebay and I didn't think I could get much out of them. plus i dont have original boxes for them.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum

Space Racist posted:

They take like 10% of the transaction and you have to use paypal. Other than that, I sold mine for $500, they took $50. You get the money when it gets delivered.

Take photos before you ship. I take it to the local mailbox place and take a photo of it opened and closed in the shop I'm shipping from. Don't let someone talk you into purchasing it outside ebay, it will be a scam if they contacted you from the ebay listing.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Boosted all of my settings in Control up because it's what Nvidia recommended and set ray tracing to high. The 3060 ti is still keeping things at a consistent 65-75 FPS (my vsync cap) at 1440p, but the artifacting/noise from DLSS is starting to become way more apparent as I play through to busier/more complex scenes

Look at those staticky-rear end shadows!

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Riflen posted:

According to Digital Foundry, the performance reduction from Ultra to Psycho is 16% on the 3090 they tested with. They also uncovered several bugs including VSync Enabled reducing image quality(!).

repiv posted:

IIRC it's not the vsync setting by itself, but vsync combined with dynamic resolution, so there's some quirk with vsync that makes the engine think it's GPU limited when it's not so it lowers the resolution too much

okay so I was complaining last night about how bad my RX 580's performance was, and I did notice, but did not mention at the time, that my GPU utilization was sitting at about 43% the whole time I was playing.

I turned off Vsync in the in-game options and not only did GPU utilization shoot up to max, it also let me play at a steady 30 FPS at 1080p Medium with little-or-no use of the dynamic lower-res, or 60 FPS if I let the quality suffer.

Thanks to this thread for uncovering that, but also what a lovely bug that's kneecapping performance.

Jeff Fatwood
Jun 17, 2013

shrike82 posted:

First time I noticed it was when I was driving in the desert and the literal road 300 meters in front of me was traffic jammed only to disappear when I got close. Maybe they're just cyber mirages :iiam:

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Xaris posted:

same i've got a 970 and 1080 ti collecting dust now, i've just been saving it for a rainy day and not wanting to get scammed on ebay and I didn't think I could get much out of them. plus i dont have original boxes for them.

1080 tis are still worth loads. Do not sit on them.

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

Yeah 2nd hand market is nuts right now. Sold my 1070 for 60% of what I paid 4 years ago, and feels like I could have got more as it was far from the most expensive sold on ebay.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

I sold my 2060 for 50%. It had an aftermarket cooler which I had drilled and sawed and tinkered myself to the card. Warranty status: questionable. I was glad I got rid of it. I could probably have asked more from untouched rtx 2060.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

the 3080ti rumour launch has been re-rumoured from rumoured in january to rumoured in february

https://videocardz.com/newz/nvidia-geforce-rtx-3080-ti-allegedly-postponed-till-february-rtx-3060-12gb-6gb-in-january

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006
I sold my 5600XT for £15 or so more than I'd paid for it new. Looking at Ebay, I could have got a lot more but I don't really like the idea of fleecing some young dude who just wanted more FPS in his MMOs. I wonder how much crazier things are gonna get in the run up to Christmas.

dodecahardon
Oct 20, 2008

Ragingsheep posted:

I'm at work but anyone tried this fix yet?

https://www.reddit.com/r/pcgaming/comments/kcka6t/unlock_your_cyberpunk_2077_memory_pool_budget/

I have this bug where if I reload a save, DLSS is absolutely broken causing artifacts for me until I go into the settings to change it to any other DLSS setting.

I have a very similar system to the OP of that Reddit thread (4790K, 1080Ti) and it makes an enormous difference for me. I went from a stuttering mess on Low settings to respectably smooth on Medium with no changes other than assigning 6 GB to the CPU and GPU in that file.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

https://steamcommunity.com/games/1089130/announcements/detail/2903097291402265207

Quake 2 RTX works on AMD cards now if any Big Navi havers want to try it

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

And that year, for his birthday, he got six pink ping pong balls in a little pink backpack.

The Grumbles posted:

I sold my 5600XT for £15 or so more than I'd paid for it new. Looking at Ebay, I could have got a lot more but I don't really like the idea of fleecing some young dude who just wanted more FPS in his MMOs. I wonder how much crazier things are gonna get in the run up to Christmas.

I wonder what's going to happen after the holiday pressure to :capitalism: lets up a bit. I'd guess more of the same, but less frantic.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Speaking of companies doing Pre-Orders and seem to actually be trying to do something about it.

You can at least right now, Pre-Order from ShopBLT.com pretty much all the AMD CPU's and GPU's. No money moves of course until the item ships, and if you want to cancel you have to wait a day from when you first put in the order, but otherwise its a way to at least get in line if you wanna stop stressing on finding something that may/may not come in stock.

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

Ha Ha Ha... YES!
really wish they were all just sold by the manufacturers, given they do warranty support as well the value add of the retailer is basically 0.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

EdEddnEddy posted:

Speaking of companies doing Pre-Orders and seem to actually be trying to do something about it.

You can at least right now, Pre-Order from ShopBLT.com pretty much all the AMD CPU's and GPU's. No money moves of course until the item ships, and if you want to cancel you have to wait a day from when you first put in the order, but otherwise its a way to at least get in line if you wanna stop stressing on finding something that may/may not come in stock.

to add to this , the prices seems pretty bad but not if you assume the tax and shipping is part of the price.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Fauxtool posted:

to add to this , the prices seems pretty bad but not if you assume the tax and shipping is part of the price.

Considering shipping is Free and it looks like Sales Tax isn't collected for all but 2 states per their FAQ.

Q: Do you charge sales tax? What about international duties and taxes?
A: We collect sales tax for shipments to Connecticut and Hawaii. We do not collect tax for any other states at this time. Your shopping cart will show you the total tax for your order after you've submitted your shipping information, prior to submitting your order.

So while they say they don't their prices reflect close to what it would be so it's a tossup.

Their notice about not being able to take pre orders went up shortly after I put in mine so I guess they have an allotment they open it too per day depending on incoming stock or something. Still, at least I'm virtually in line now... :shepspends:

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

What kind of RT performance are y'all seeing at 3440x1440 in CP2077? Do you turn on all three RT options and still get 50-60 fps or do you have to turn some of those off like in the DF video?

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

v1ld posted:

What kind of RT performance are y'all seeing at 3440x1440 in CP2077? Do you turn on all three RT options and still get 50-60 fps or do you have to turn some of those off like in the DF video?

I found that 3440x1440 I was getting about 50-55 FPS average with RT Ultra and DLSS quality mode (would not recommend Balanced or Performance). Psycho (RT global illumination) drops that down another 5-10 FPS average (9700k, 3090)

The game's UI is kind of broken for 21:9 screens though so I just dropped it to 1440p and it runs in the high 50s-low 60s average with dips down to the mid 40s in heavy areas.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Thanks, exactly what I was looking for. The menu breaking at 21:9 is bizarre and annoying, was no one at CDPR playing that ratio?

Is there anything coming out that looks like it'll be more demanding than CP2077 RT-wise? The consoles being under-powered relative to a 3070 probably indicates not many RT-native games this gen.

Was playing around with RT in CP and Control on Geforce Now. Funny thing is both games look great with full RT on, but they both also look very good with it off. But that still sold me on the higher fidelity lighting of RT being worth it.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

v1ld posted:

3440x1440 with all 3 RTX options on, set to High, and DLSS set to Auto, with everything else set to High except Cascading Shadows (Medium), on my 5600X + 3080 I get a pretty solid 65+ FPS in most scenes, bottoming out around 50-55 on occasion, and 70-80 FPS in smaller interior low complexity scenes.

Using the hex edit fix for the .exe did add 3-5 FPS for me.

The UI dropping back to 2560x1440 is weird, but not a real problem for me. On occasion it's stuck with that ratio when I go back into the actual game (chopping off the side edges), but popping back into the menu and then back out again has so far always fixed it. Minor annoyance, at most.

e; bigger annoyance is that DLSS is still on in the menus and totally wrecks the visual quality of the paper doll there. I'd like them to disable DLSS entirely in the menus, since there's really no need for it, but I'm not sure if that's possible for them.

DrDork fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Dec 15, 2020

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?

repiv posted:

https://steamcommunity.com/games/1089130/announcements/detail/2903097291402265207

Quake 2 RTX works on AMD cards now if any Big Navi havers want to try it

But not on my 2080s that it used to work on... Let's play driver or update game

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

DrDork posted:

3440x1440 with all 3 RTX options on, set to High, and DLSS set to Auto, with everything else set to High except Cascading Shadows (Medium), on my 5600X + 3080 I get a pretty solid 65+ FPS in most scenes, bottoming out around 50-55 on occasion, and 70-80 FPS in smaller interior low complexity scenes.

Using the hex edit fix for the .exe did add 3-5 FPS for me.

The UI dropping back to 2560x1440 is weird, but not a real problem for me. On occasion it's stuck with that ratio when I go back into the actual game (chopping off the side edges), but popping back into the menu and then back out again has so far always fixed it. Minor annoyance, at most.

Cool, good to hear. I was doing my usual over-analysis of tech purchases. Seems like a 3080 will be a solid purchase for this gen. Now I just have to get hold of one by early Feb which shouldn't be a problem.

The menus seem designed for 16:9 so there's no real issue even when truncated other than tutorial prompts going off-screen but pressing C gets rid of those.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Twibbit posted:

But not on my 2080s that it used to work on... Let's play driver or update game

It defaults to using the official Vulkan RT extension now which is only supported by the new NV and AMD drivers released today

There's a launch flag you can use to force it back to the earlier NV-only extension if you really need to

v1ld posted:

Is there anything coming out that looks like it'll be more demanding than CP2077 RT-wise?

Nothing sticks out at the moment, but there's quite a few upcoming RT games where the only thing we know is they have RT but not what they're using RT for

Witcher 3s nextgen patch will probably have the same suite of effects as Cyberpunk I guess

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

v1ld posted:

Cool, good to hear. I was doing my usual over-analysis of tech purchases. Seems like a 3080 will be a solid purchase for this gen. Now I just have to get hold of one by early Feb which shouldn't be a problem.

Yeah, a 3080 is certainly a solid performer here, and jumping to a 3090 seems to only add 5-10FPS with all the pretties on, so a pretty high cost for that benefit (and with DLSS + RTX off the 3080 can hit 100+). There's always rumors of a 3080 Ti that will probably slot in somewhere between the two in both price and performance--so waiting a few extra months to spend +$200-$300 for an extra 3-5 FPS seems like not really worth the wait to me, but to each their own on that front.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
How is DLSS in general with 1440p? My understanding is that there needs to be enough pixels at the downscaled resolution in order to give the software enough data to guess with when it upscales? So DLSS is less impactful at 1440p and 1080p vs 4k right?

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

v1ld posted:

I maxed everything with Psycho, 5900X, 3080 FE, and get a low of 47fps in busy scenes from what I’ve seen. G-Sync does a lot to have made me thought I was getting 60. This was with DLSS set to Quality.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

repiv posted:

Witcher 3s nextgen patch will probably have the same suite of effects as Cyberpunk I guess

Hope so! I spent an entire (enjoyable) week modding it for a second comprehensive run right before they announced that nextgen patch. Holding off until that comes out.

I wonder how the materials in TW3 will look with RT lighting relative to 2077's amazing work - which extends to non-RT lighting as well. Just outstanding tech and design.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

buglord posted:

How is DLSS in general with 1440p? My understanding is that there needs to be enough pixels at the downscaled resolution in order to give the software enough data to guess with when it upscales? So DLSS is less impactful at 1440p and 1080p vs 4k right?

It almost doubles the FPS @ 1440p in CP2077. I see some evidence of it (whereas in other games I didn't see any) but its still plenty worth it.

So yeah, it's better for 4k but it's still really good with 1440p.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

buglord posted:

Going "too low" on DLSS ends up getting crappy results because yeah, it simply doesn't have enough raw data to work with. 4k you get more buffer room there because DLSS-P is still 720p, which is "enough" to get decent results. DLSS-P at 1440p is an internal render of 480p, IIRC, and it shows.

At 3440x1440p, DLSS-Q and -B look pretty good, especially if you're moving around and not trying to hawk tiny details in the background shadows or whatnot. DLSS-P and -UP are noticeable losses of IQ. Any level of DLSS trashes the quality of the paper doll in the menus and V's model in mirrors for whatever reason.

Overall I've been real happy with leaving it on DLSS-Auto, which seems to move between DLSS-Q and -B to keep FPS around 65 ish for me. DLSS + RTX to me looks better than native 1440p without RTX.

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

repiv posted:

It defaults to using the official Vulkan RT extension now which is only supported by the new NV and AMD drivers released today

There's a launch flag you can use to force it back to the earlier NV-only extension if you really need to

Nothing sticks out at the moment, but there's quite a few upcoming RT games where the only thing we know is they have RT but not what they're using RT for

I was using the new driver

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Twibbit posted:

I was using the new driver

Dunno, it's working for me on 460.89 :shrug:

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Reinstalling the driver fixed it.

The denoiser improvements combined with the temporal upscaler make a much cleaner image.

Bloopsy
Jun 1, 2006

you have been visited by the Tasty Garlic Bread. you will be blessed by having good Garlic Bread in your life time, but only if you comment "ty garlic bread" in the thread below

DrDork posted:

DLSS + RTX to me looks better than native 1440p without RTX.

Same. I went back and forth between 1440p with no RTX and DLSS 1440p Quality+RTX and while native is noticeably sharper, the ray traced lighting and reflections keep me on DLSS.

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

And that year, for his birthday, he got six pink ping pong balls in a little pink backpack.
I'm tempted to sell my old Radeon R9 280x to scare up a hundred bucks, because suddenly that's a reasonable asking price for it again. Geez.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Behold, the greatest Nvidia driver bug:

quote:

[Nicehash, other mining software]: Mining software does not recognize the NVIDIA GPU. [3200758]

I don't see the problem here.