Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

I genuinely did one of these when I went from thinking this was going to be a documentary series about legendary Marvel comic issues to realising it was about the MCU:

I really don't think the MCU is old enough to start doing awe-filled recaps of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Introducing Youtube, now streaming on Disney+

WaffleZombie
May 10, 2003

"Identity Crisis" Murderer Wild Guess #333:Prince "Lady Killer Charming "Well, I AM the Adversa"

Fangz posted:

I think Batman will stub his toe.

I think it's either that, or:
Flash: Oh man, it's so cool that we're teaming up like the Scooby Gang from Buffy The Vampire Slayer!
Batman: Kid, your taste in television loving sucks.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
This ain't your loving daddy's loving Batman. This is Batman that says gently caress. Got it, kid?

There should be a fan edit somewhere where someone puts "gently caress" into every piece of Batman dialog in every tv/movie/cartoon show.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

I can't help but think this clip show is going to dramatically increase the dissonance that many people will have regarding the Wanda + Vision relationship. Having their ~6 scenes together compressed into a short time period where they go from "This red dude is rescuing me from a falling city" -> "This red dude is cooking for me but he's actually a prison guard" -> "I'm the only one who can match this red dude on the airport Battlefield" -> "We're having an affair now and now I'm saving him from aliens" -> "He died and then I died"

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

AngryBooch posted:

I can't help but think this clip show is going to dramatically increase the dissonance that many people will have regarding the Wanda + Vision relationship. Having their ~6 scenes together compressed into a short time period where they go from "This red dude is rescuing me from a falling city" -> "This red dude is cooking for me but he's actually a prison guard" -> "I'm the only one who can match this red dude on the airport Battlefield" -> "We're having an affair now and now I'm saving him from aliens" -> "He died and then I died"

They also both drew power from Infinity stones so maybe that's why they were drawn to each other.

Sumo
Jun 17, 2005

CaptainApathyUK posted:

If it goes into broader character histories or stuff from outside the MCU, maybe interview some of the Marvel Comics staff etc - that could be really fun. I've been enjoying that docu series 616 on Disney+ (even if it is basically just a series of puff pieces)

If it's just clips from the movies as like a recap then it can get in the bin.

What they should do instead is what they did on that BRUTE FORCE episode of 616 and just have Paul Scheer pitch character recaps to Jon Hamm, Ron Funches, Rachel Bloom, Jack McBrayer, and Nichole Byers

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Sumo posted:

What they should do instead is what they did on that BRUTE FORCE episode of 616 and just have Paul Scheer pitch character recaps to Jon Hamm, Ron Funches, Rachel Bloom, Jack McBrayer, and Nichole Byers

They should turn that episode into its own show. Not the show he pitched, but him pitching series based on obscure characters every week.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I can't say I have any real disconnect over the Wanda/Vision relationship. Like... they dig each other. I'm fine with that. There doesn't have to be a "reason." And they been through some poo poo and Wanda's basically lost everyone she's ever loved in horrifically violent ways. So there's probably trauma there.

But the series does kind of sound like just an accompaniment series to do "Previously on" recaps and dot connecting for the new shows and movies. Which kinda makes sense now that the universe is a decade old and expanding a lot fast, especially if they start working in stuff like Daredevil. The majority of the MCU audience aren't nerds who know who Kate Bishop, Kamala Khan, and She Hulk are.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

STAC Goat posted:

I can't say I have any real disconnect over the Wanda/Vision relationship. Like... they dig each other. I'm fine with that. There doesn't have to be a "reason." And they been through some poo poo and Wanda's basically lost everyone she's ever loved in horrifically violent ways. So there's probably trauma there.

But the series does kind of sound like just an accompaniment series to do "Previously on" recaps and dot connecting for the new shows and movies. Which kinda makes sense now that the universe is a decade old and expanding a lot fast, especially if they start working in stuff like Daredevil. The majority of the MCU audience aren't nerds who know who Kate Bishop, Kamala Khan, and She Hulk are.

I guess I phrased it wrong in that I too didn't have a real disconnect in the Wanda/Vision relationship when it was gradually released in 3 movies several years apart but it may feel jarring when/if the scenes are clipped into a 30 minute short film.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

AngryBooch posted:

AngryBooch posted:

I guess I phrased it wrong in that I too didn't have a real disconnect in the Wanda/Vision relationship when it was gradually released in 3 movies several years apart but it may feel jarring when/if the scenes are clipped into a 30 minute short film.

Wait am I missing something because I don't see any signs this is what that is? My read of the incredibly vague tweet is that it's going to be a series of short stories that fill in some background material possibly from a new perspective, or maybe using a different art style. Maybe something like the Galaxy of Adventures shorts. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YJEUAe-dcGo

Fangz fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Dec 15, 2020

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

STAC Goat posted:

Plus, by the time WandaVision comes out it will have been almost three years since we last saw the two of them together, so maybe a refresher isn't a bad idea.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Fangz posted:

Wait am I missing something because I don't see any signs this is what that is? My read of the incredibly vague tweet is that it's going to be a series of short stories that fill in some background material possibly from a new perspective, or maybe using a different art style. Maybe something like the Galaxy of Adventures shorts. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YJEUAe-dcGo

Disney would have announced and hyped up a show that contained new footage more than 4 weeks before its premier. The marketing and phrasing of the tweet are what leads me to think this is a clip show.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

AngryBooch posted:

Eh, I think you can easily make it work fine with dialogue and commentary. We're just seeing key moments in their relationship development. It doesn't have to be a shipping video of 3 seasons of interactions.

A 30-60 minute recap of those moments with commentary about Wanda's powers and how the two connected as outsiders and reminder about Quicksilver and Wanda losing her family. I think that can work to ease people into a series that seems like its gonna be a little wild.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

AngryBooch posted:

Disney would have announced and hyped up a show that contained new footage more than 4 weeks before its premier. The marketing and phrasing of the tweet are what leads me to think this is a clip show.

Yeah, this is 100% something that got thrown together from existing footage during Covid times because, well, what else are you going to do?

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

If it's just scenes from the movies who cares, but if it goes into the history of the characters in the comics and such then it could be fun.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
I hope they talk about the time their fake children became baby hands for some c list villain

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

site posted:

I hope they talk about the time their fake children became baby hands for some c list villain

Same.

Elizabeth Olsen did some fun videos about the history of the Scarlet Witch so they might use some of that footage.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

STAC Goat posted:

Eh, I think you can easily make it work fine with dialogue and commentary. We're just seeing key moments in their relationship development. It doesn't have to be a shipping video of 3 seasons of interactions.

A 30-60 minute recap of those moments with commentary about Wanda's powers and how the two connected as outsiders and reminder about Quicksilver and Wanda losing her family. I think that can work to ease people into a series that seems like its gonna be a little wild.

I really can't wait to see Wanda's accent change rapidly from scene to scene tbh.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
Now that no one buys physical media anymore, we can now have DVD extras marketed as a new show

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

I wouldn’t mind a recap of Wanda/Vision scenes the week before WandaVision.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I hope it is in-universe mocumentary style.

Sumo
Jun 17, 2005

They already have a Marvel Legends line, just make the recaps stop-motion with action figures like Robot Chicken

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

Sumo posted:

They already have a Marvel Legends line, just make the recaps stop-motion with action figures like Robot Chicken

That's basically what they're doing for MODOK.

Daduzi
Nov 22, 2005

You can't hide from the Grim Reaper. Especially when he's got a gun.

Open Marriage Night posted:

Yeah, even if it's a clip show I think it's fine. If it helps, like, 20 people understand an upcoming movie or show without having to watch 50+ hours of previous content, it's probably justified its almost non-existent budget.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
My wife is psyched for WandaVision despite not having seen or wanting to see the movies they were in. This will be perfect for her.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
Rewatching The Boys, and it's a darn shame Erin Moriarty is tied up with that show because I think she'd be a great Sue Storm.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Clip of Wonder Woman's first scene

It's currently sitting 88% on RT

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
lol, over two and a half hours long, nice try, Patty.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Shirkelton posted:

lol, over two and a half hours long, nice try, Patty.

It’s accounting for you watching it at home this time around

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
It's accounting for me watching maybe ten minutes of Pedro Pascal highlights on youtube in six months time.

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

Jamesman posted:

Rewatching The Boys, and it's a darn shame Erin Moriarty is tied up with that show because I think she'd be a great Sue Storm.

She played a character on the Jessica Jones show, so clearly she can't be Sue Storm as that would throw the entire continuity of the MCU into chaos and disarray. "This is Hope Shlottman," people would shriek every time Sue was on screen, "Hope Shlottman from Jessica Jones!!"

Fsmhunk
Jul 19, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Uh, batman saying the F-Word? Epic much?

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

SlimGoodbody posted:

She played a character on the Jessica Jones show, so clearly she can't be Sue Storm as that would throw the entire continuity of the MCU into chaos and disarray. "This is Hope Shlottman," people would shriek every time Sue was on screen, "Hope Shlottman from Jessica Jones!!"

I didn't realize that was her!

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

SlimGoodbody posted:

Mahershala Ali played Cottonmouth in Luke Cage and is now set to play Blade in a feature film, so from the looks of it Marvel isn't too concerned with double dipping on casting.

SnakesRevenge
Dec 29, 2008

Remember the basics of CQC, Snake!

Open Marriage Night posted:

This, but narrated and voiced entirely by Michael Peña.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

JordanKai posted:

Mahershala Ali played Cottonmouth in Luke Cage and is now set to play Blade in a feature film, so from the looks of it Marvel isn't too concerned with double dipping on casting.

Gemma Chan was Minn-Erva in Captain Marvel and now is Sersi in Eternals so they aren't even afraid to double dip from the movies.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

JordanKai posted:

Alfre Woodard was in Luke Cage and Civil War playing two different characters.

Laura Haddock was both Meredith Quill and someone looking for an autograph in The First Avenger!

And yeah, Gemma Chan as stated above.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I hope Loki will feature both Lady Loki and Kid Loki. Of the 3 shows we saw actual footage from its the one I am most excited about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

twistedmentat posted:

I hope Loki will feature both Lady Loki and Kid Loki. Of the 3 shows we saw actual footage from its the one I am most excited about.

WandaVision and Loki segueing into a Gillen-influenced Young Avengers would be so loving sweet