Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

AngryRobotsInc posted:

I mostly just want to understand how Tempering works. Because I read the guide on GameFAQs and still don't understand poo poo about it.

it's been a long, long time but here is my basic residual understanding of it

every item possesses two effects: an immediate effect on the item, and a "card" that is placed in the first card slot on the item. items have one invisible slot (the first one) and three visible slots. a card is shoved into the next slot when a new card is added, and the fourth card leaves the item. some items don't add a card tho.

immediate effects on the item are basically just elemental essence changes. elemental stuff like coins tend to be used repeatedly throughout most tempering plans to boost essence levels because those levels have a direct effect on the item's power.

the ultimate goal of tempering is to raise essence levels and possibly do a few things along the way like add a new plunge attack if it's a weapon, and then end the process by putting on a useful set of cards for the field instead of the forge. every elemental coin you use on an item adds "points" toward that element onto the item, which is the most basic way to add elemental essence.

cards are where it gets complicated. a card may have no effect, an effect upon entering the item, a constant effect while on the item, or an effect upon leaving the item. many cards have effects that influence the point gain, amplify it, duplicate it, redirect points from one element to another, etc. etc. and these are the ones generally added by the rare forging items like crystals or obscure monster drops (although more mundane ingredients like pumpkins can have useful cards too).

the goal of tempering a card like that onto an item is to get the maximum use out of it you can before the card is pushed off. so, for example, normally it is really difficult to get opposing elements to co-exist on an item, but there is a card from one of the crystals that removes this problem while it is on the item. that effect will be present for 4 tempers (essence calculations occur before card pushing...sort of) and then dissipate. so, if you have an item with a bunch of undine essence, you push this card onto it and then temper a bunch of salamando poo poo onto it while you can to get an item with high water and high fire. eventually the number of points needed to attain the next essence level is higher than it is possible to feed into the item in a single temper, even with all of the tricks to amplify point gain, and you max out for that element.

sometimes items behave weirdly during essence boosting because of their material, generally favoring a particular element; wood favors dryad, for example. usually you work with the materials that don't do this, but the best wood is ridiculously good for various reasons so it might come up.

once you're done essence boosting and potentially doing a few more esoteric things, you push cards onto the item that have real effects on the item instead of just effects on the tempering process, like the ones that give +50% attack or poison immunity or whatever.

Jazerus fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Dec 13, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
I never fully figured out crafting in Legend of Mana but smashing stuff together ended up giving me some sword with like 2-3x the attack of anything else and I think I two-shot the final boss with it.

My map setup also resulted in something like every element being present, and several maxed, for some pirate ship level that spawned elementals in the basement, so I was able to just keep walking in and out of the room until I got the top level cards or w/e it was those things gave you.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
hello dragon boy

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

how does he know english

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

it's an English forest

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
i've been playing tales of hearts r and really enjoying it but this military base dungeon where partway through every encounter turns into an angry miniboss is not my favorite

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Do not be rude to the mountain man

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
the arle no bouken fan tl is largely really good but i did just run into an issue where the patch broke a trigger on using the elevator after the forest dungeon, and the only way to bypass it is to turn off the patch for a minute, use the elevator, save and turn it back on. if you don't do that then uh, bad things happen

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
lol madou monogatari 1 for pc engine got tled too. it's time for the puyo fan tl fever

http://www.romhacking.net/translations/5805/

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Dec 14, 2020

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

How long into Yakuza 7 before I start actually getting paid? I've only just started but I don't remember money troubles this severe in Dragon Quest 5, 8 or 11 so I don't know how long to resign myself to being weak. I know not every Yakuza game can be 0, but man, getting :20bux: is a lot of saving so far. It's rare to get a full dollar from a fight.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

You have to do the business game

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012
Also, later fights will cough up more money. There's a few sections where you can get some good cash and experience with it. But yeah, the business minigame can give you 3mil once you hit top rank and do the shareholder meeting. It's extremely tedious, but money is money.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
I'm happy that they do just make earning cash difficult early on. It does a good job of selling their situation.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

A Bystander posted:

Also, later fights will cough up more money. There's a few sections where you can get some good cash and experience with it. But yeah, the business minigame can give you 3mil once you hit top rank and do the shareholder meeting. It's extremely tedious, but money is money.

Yeah, I'm a aware that game progression is a thing but when is that? Chapter three, chapter five, chapter 7? At least I now know that I need to do the business Minigame to earn any money in this one. That's more than I had going with Yakuza 1 and 2.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
i've never been that into puyo but i'm suddenly feeling the strangest compulsion...

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Looper posted:

i've never been that into puyo but i'm suddenly feeling the strangest compulsion...

https://files.catbox.moe/ia18iv.mp4

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

RareAcumen posted:

Yeah, I'm a aware that game progression is a thing but when is that? Chapter three, chapter five, chapter 7? At least I now know that I need to do the business Minigame to earn any money in this one. That's more than I had going with Yakuza 1 and 2.

Iirc the business game is introduced in Chapter 5, you’re not required to engage with it beyond the tutorial but you really should up until you unlock the optional party member since you’re gonna be rolling with three otherwise for a solid stretch of time.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Last Celebration posted:

Iirc the business game is introduced in Chapter 5, you’re not required to engage with it beyond the tutorial but you really should up until you unlock the optional party member since you’re gonna be rolling with three otherwise for a solid stretch of time.

If you got the version that has the cast members from previous yakuza games it's also insanely easy to compete the business mini game.

Very, very tedious, but easy.

It's not even that they're better at the managing part of the business, they just completely trivialize the shareholder battles.

Though, I actually had to reset after my first little bit in the business game because I did it wrong: always fully upgrade your business as high as you can before you buy a new one. Don't bother buying another business for the first 25 levels. Once you get a couple up and running for the second objective you can start getting the UR people and destroying everything.

It still takes forever since the fast forward mode doesn't go that fast, but yeah. You'll get a lot of money at least!

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
games that don't let you 100% complete in one playthrough should be illegal tbh

this is stopping tms from being my 2nd game of the year 2020

Tired Moritz fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Dec 15, 2020

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
Nothing new per se announced during the SaGa 30th Anniversary Finale Live Stream, though they did have 11 minutes of gameplay from Frontier Remastered.
Some tidbits, though: Fuse has multiple story arcs, and they're pretty much finishing up development, so a release before summer 2021 is possible.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
I managed to beat Baal (and steal his poo poo too) in Disgaea 1. There's just the Human World stuff left and I'll have done everything.

Except for Prinny Baal, but com'on.

Then onto... uhh Disgaea 4.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
How do Shadowrun: Dragonfall and Shadowrun: Hong Kong compare to the first one? I'm in the mood for more cyberpunk RPGs after finishing Cyberpunk 2077, but I got a bit bored after spending a couple of hours with Shadowrun Returns due to the main story quests and sidequests not being engaging enough.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
better

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

How much better?

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
They're both considerably better (even if opinions vary on which one's the best), Returns isn't very long and does a good job introducing the setting but is ultimately pretty much a prototype for the proper RPGs that came after it. They have an actual crew with distinct personalities to run with for one, and there's just a lot more going on in them overall. A more polished combat system, better writing, more focus on the titular shadowrunning, and so on.

Kanfy fucked around with this message at 09:10 on Dec 17, 2020

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

punk rebel ecks posted:

How much better?

Shadowrun Returns is basically a proof of concept. The story is basically a skeleton and there's not much meat on those bones - it's not bad, but it's very bland and forgettable.

Both Hong Kong and Dragonfall both have much more robust stories and actual party members who you interact with a lot and have a lot of personality. Both of them have more refined combat systems than Returns, too. They're both honestly great.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Play the genesis game.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Play the SNES game with a walkthrough because it's obtuse as gently caress lol

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Kanos posted:

Shadowrun Returns is basically a proof of concept. The story is basically a skeleton and there's not much meat on those bones - it's not bad, but it's very bland and forgettable.

Both Hong Kong and Dragonfall both have much more robust stories and actual party members who you interact with a lot and have a lot of personality. Both of them have more refined combat systems than Returns, too. They're both honestly great.

Will buy then. Thank you.

Gaius Marius posted:

Play the genesis game.

It still holds up?

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

punk rebel ecks posted:

It still holds up?

The Genesis game is still fun and cool IMO but it's a bit obtuse and can be really grindy when you're doing Matrix runs or whatever to build up enough money to have not suckass gear.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Man starting to feel like I need a palette cleanser from Cyberpunk. Not because Cyberpunk bad but because a lot of the quests are various levels of 'wtFUCK'
Want to play SaGa Frontier but remake won't be out for awhile. I can play the original but if I do that now I might not want to play the remake when it comes out.
Wanna play Trials of Mana but I think the plan involves hoping to God it goes on sale for Christmas/New Years because I really dun' want to play 50$ for it.
Have the online resources for Scarlet Grace grown in the last year? I have one playthrough of that game in the books but there was just so much I didn't understand.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Why does Yakuza 7 have a 'You lose if your main character dies' condition? I've only played Dq5, 8 and 11 so I assume that's not a DQ thing. It always seemed like a Persona/ SMT thing.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
What do you feel like you are missing in Scarlet Graces?I think documenation on the mechanical side of things is pretty good, you do have to dig for stuff relating to route activations sometimes though.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

RareAcumen posted:

Why does Yakuza 7 have a 'You lose if your main character dies' condition? I've only played Dq5, 8 and 11 so I assume that's not a DQ thing. It always seemed like a Persona/ SMT thing.
if they didn't do that they couldn't make the kiryu boss fight where he refuses to hit women

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

ChrisBTY posted:

Man starting to feel like I need a palette cleanser from Cyberpunk. Not because Cyberpunk bad but because a lot of the quests are various levels of 'wtFUCK'
Want to play SaGa Frontier but remake won't be out for awhile.
... I'm not an expert but i'm pretty sure Frontier is even more "what the gently caress am I supposed to be doing".