Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fistful of Silence
Aug 22, 2003

Science fiction writers, I am sorry to say, really do not know anything. We can't talk about science, because our knowledge of it is limited and unofficial, and usually our fiction is dreadful.

Grimey Drawer

Poo In An Alleyway posted:

The eyeline trick for making Snowboys didn’t work for me the first 3 times but today I tried the path trick and it worked perfectly so I guess I’m sticking with that for ensured success.
Yeah I agree. I’m even lazier actually, in that I have only one open area in my island so the snowballs always spawn there, and most of it’s covered in 6 x 10 grid of checkerboard light / dark dirt squares so I can just keep making snow boys in the same place easily.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

That’s correct. Only the first one you build will give you something, even if his proportions are off, just as like a sympathy gift for loving up. Also yes it’s only one per day.

The eyeline trick for making Snowboys didn’t work for me the first 3 times but today I tried the path trick and it worked perfectly so I guess I’m sticking with that for ensured success.

Ah...ok I was wondering what was up- I made my first snowboy yesterday and his portions were off and he gave me bupkiss. Today I made a perfect one and got the big snowflake and the Snow Scuplture DIY. THen when you mentioned only the first one you make gives you something even if you gently caress up I remembered back in August when swimming became available I was curious if swimming was still available in the dead of winter and time traveled to December to check it out. While there I made a snowman, so that was my first one. (He gave me the popsicle DIY which went better on the beach area in the summer anyway).

Thanks!

Edit: is there a maximum number of DIYs you can get by balloon each day? If it’s 2 or something and I already get that number I don’t want to bother running after another if it’s just going to probably give me some clay or a blender

GATOS Y VATOS fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Dec 14, 2020

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

I don't get anything from snowboys at all except nasty comments.
I can't wait until I've gotten all the recipes + a metric fuckton of large snowflakes, so I can build my snowboys the way god intended: hilariously awful

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
I've managed to do 3 perfect ones, but yeah the temptation to just do one with a tiny body and gigantic head is very strong

Poo In An Alleyway
Feb 12, 2016

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

Is there a maximum number of DIYs you can get by balloon each day? If it’s 2 or something and I already get that number I don’t want to bother running after another if it’s just going to probably give me some clay or a blender

I don’t think there’s a limit tbh, I got 4 of the snowflake DIYs on the 11th from balloons and I think I’ve gotten the last couple over the weekend (how many are there from balloons again?)

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd
somehow I've gotten incredibly good at eyeballing perfect snowboy proportions

I keep waiting for autosave so I can retry if I mess it up, but aside from the very first one, all of mine have come out perfect, even when not at max size :smug:
https://i.imgur.com/WJHd9sr.mp4

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

Wait, ornaments? What am I missing?

Burnt Poffin
Oct 10, 2012

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

Edit: is there a maximum number of DIYs you can get by balloon each day? If it’s 2 or something and I already get that number I don’t want to bother running after another if it’s just going to probably give me some clay or a blender

Not sure if there's a max, but when hunting balloons before the mushroom recipes went away the next day, I managed five in about 2 and a half hours (with the last three being in a row). It would have taken a lot longer than that if I hadn't spent a while dropping a mess of jail bars on my western coastline. :)

Ornaments drop from cedar trees that have holiday lights on them. The chance for that to happen doesn't start until tomorrow (Dec. 15th).

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
sometimes I think I'm too nice to my Villagers even when I've provided plenty of benches and seats to sit on :mad:
https://i.imgur.com/2B5SizL.mp4

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

track day bro! posted:

sometimes I think I'm too nice to my Villagers even when I've provided plenty of benches and seats to sit on :mad:
https://i.imgur.com/2B5SizL.mp4

You're doing great

SilentChaz
Oct 5, 2011

Sorry, I'm quite busy at the moment.
Why didn't anyone say that Isabelle is the one who decorates the cedar trees? Also, Mitzi ran over and gave me a Festive wreath first thing this morning. :3:

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

It's a small thing but I really love the tiny tinkling chimes that the snowflakes make. :3:

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib
Norma is in boxes today on Dessert. She’s been with us since very near the beginning, and we want to see her find a good home.

The Nooklings have a yellow tin robot today, and the Ables have a lot of warm weather gear.

Leave a message on the board if you stop by!

Dodo code: L5S7G

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
PSA: you cannot transplant trees with lights!!!! Doing so will remove the lights.

Moose-Alini
Sep 11, 2001

Not always so
So it’s another mad dash for balloons? No other way for toy day recipes? Dang still need so many winter.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Moose-Alini posted:

So it’s another mad dash for balloons? No other way for toy day recipes? Dang still need so many winter.

Yeah, all the Christmas recipes come from balloons. Though I prefer that to the stupid snowmen.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Trying to get christmas recipes and opening one of the presents and having it be socks is a little too on the nose

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Thwomp posted:

PSA: you cannot transplant trees with lights!!!! Doing so will remove the lights.

Oof. Glad I moved my spruce trees around last night then

Prowler
May 24, 2004

Macaluso posted:

Yeah, all the Christmas recipes come from balloons. Though I prefer that to the stupid snowmen.

Really? Because I'm 4/5 (first was a near-perfect) on Snowboys, and that takes me 3 minutes to get both a DIY and one of the materials to craft it with. I can also get another DIY for my alt account, and cheese it by time traveling.

Meanwhile, without proper setup, monitoring, active effort, and huge luck, getting presents through balloons is a nightmare. With the proper setup, it's still a really bad recurring dream, like missing your final exam or something.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

For some reason I can’t create a snow boy next to the river and moving my snowballs further away made the head just too big for perfect. :/

Poo In An Alleyway
Feb 12, 2016

Fiorina’s Nooks has a white kids tent in stock today, along with a white and silver serving cart, a blue punching bag, an antique phone, and unlimited judge’s bells and green pedal boards.

Ables has Santa coats (!), sushi chef outfits, yodel sweaters, down skirts, boa parkas, festive-tree dresses, Hakama with crest, marble-print dresses, Aran-knit caps, Santa hats, flower sunglasses, Santa beards (holy poo poo you can just become Santa!), horizontal striped tights, and cute sneakers.

Snowboys are being very generous and leaving out presents for all the good boys and girls who visit Fiorina, so take a gift on your travels!

Dodo code in PGS thread

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Nessa posted:

For some reason I can’t create a snow boy next to the river and moving my snowballs further away made the head just too big for perfect. :/

I had that problem yesterday, it's because the snowboy jumps to one side as it forms so it can't be too close to anything.

ElTacoGato
Oct 11, 2012
Just popping in to ask a question, but are the toy items locked to only one color per island? I've had the tent and the puppy twice and both have been black each time, and I can't customize them to another color. :(

And I wouldn't mind balloon event recipes so much if they didn't rely on that method of handing out event recipes so much, especially having so many different recipes suddenly available for a limited time via the same method. Let villagers give me them, let 'em wash up on the beach, let a snowflake turn out to be a recipe now and then or have a recipe drop from an ornament tree or something!

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

ElTacoGato posted:

Just popping in to ask a question, but are the toy items locked to only one color per island? I've had the tent and the puppy twice and both have been black each time, and I can't customize them to another color. :(

And I wouldn't mind balloon event recipes so much if they didn't rely on that method of handing out event recipes so much, especially having so many different recipes suddenly available for a limited time via the same method. Let villagers give me them, let 'em wash up on the beach, let a snowflake turn out to be a recipe now and then or have a recipe drop from an ornament tree or something!

Yeah, they are, you just get one colour.

I remember some of the early recipes being things your character thought of when picking up certain items, I'd like that to keep being a thing. The villagers can be struck with random inspiration, why can't I look at an ornament I just picked up and think of something cool to do with it?

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Black Robe posted:

Yeah, they are, you just get one colour.

I remember some of the early recipes being things your character thought of when picking up certain items, I'd like that to keep being a thing. The villagers can be struck with random inspiration, why can't I look at an ornament I just picked up and think of something cool to do with it?

This should be how every seasonal recipe is acquired, it makes so much more sense and is more reliable.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I've gotten six recipes so far today, including the one I wanted most which is the big tree, so christmas is going pretty good so far

ChickenDoodle
Oct 22, 2020

Question on these stupid snowballs: I don’t want them to spawn where they’ve been doing so anymore. I destroyed the balls I had and there’s only three snow boys left there. I paved the entire area, reset my game, and I still don’t have my snowballs back. Did I miss something? I have 2 more large areas of open snow where they COULD spawn but they refused to spawn until I removed the pathing.

Flubby
Feb 28, 2006
Fun Shoe
Anyone need an Amazing painting? I'll open up if so. I'll keep an eye on here while I balloon farm.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib

Flubby posted:

Anyone need an Amazing painting? I'll open up if so. I'll keep an eye on here while I balloon farm.

Please!

Flubby
Feb 28, 2006
Fun Shoe

TL posted:

Please!

Ok. The secret beach is in the middle north of the map. Go all the way up top by the telescope. You'll need a ladder to get down to Redd. LMM28

Crap I just realized it was the Worthy painting that was real!

The Amazing is fake! It's a faaaaaaake!!!

Flubby fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Dec 16, 2020

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Flubby posted:

Ok. The secret beach is in the middle north of the map. Go all the way up top by the telescope. You'll need a ladder to get down to Redd. LMM28

Wow, art crimes itt, shame on you

Ktb
Feb 24, 2006

I’ve resorted to doing that since someone came to my island about a month ago and picked the flowers on my friend’s grave. But then late last week I had my gates open (with the code only in the PGS thread) I had gifts out at the entrance for people to take and there were 5 left when I went to my house to put something in storage. Then someone arrived so I went out to greet them and they’d taken all 5 of the loving gifts so there was nothing left for anyone else who arrived after them. Dick. loving. Move.

Someone took all the gifts on my island back in October too and a few things went missing from the cataloguing area. Both times the code was PGS only. I wasn't paying enough attention to know who it was either time but it has meant I mostly only post codes in the discord now unless I'm around to keep an eye on things.

Ktb fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Dec 16, 2020

night slime
May 14, 2014
I think you can pretty easily get a perfect small snowboy by rolling one ball up and keeping the second one in the smallest state, they won't merge when you try to combine until you breach some threshold for the right proportions. What the gently caress am I writing

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus
I can't believe that only now, 9 months after release and entirely by accident, am I learning that you can show Celeste the zodiac star fragments to hear a story about that constellation.

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Might finally have a use for those soccer nets

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

Snake Maze posted:

I can't believe that only now, 9 months after release and entirely by accident, am I learning that you can show Celeste the zodiac star fragments to hear a story about that constellation.

She fuckin' hates Zeus

gregday
May 23, 2003

It is complete bullshit that you can’t combine the red clown nose and the reindeer hood to make a Rudolph outfit. One is headwear and the other is “glasses” so they shouldn’t overlap at all.

To add insult to injury, you can combine any actual glasses with the hood.

:argh:

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Snake Maze posted:

wait what

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus

Yeah that's what I said too

It looks like you can also show her the crafted furniture to get the same story, if you already used up your fragments.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Fallen Rib

Flubby posted:

Nooo! Ah, well, thanks anyway. Your island is lovely!