Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Try keep track of it for a few days. If you see it changing then that'll answer the question for you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Assorted Gubbins
Oct 28, 2017

senrath posted:

It has a 2010 timestamp in the image.

WAAAAAT?

(Yes, I obviously saw the timestamp, that's what prompted my question. I meant, did someone photoshop this for some weird reason or am I just misremembering when this picture was from - 8/26 was when Katrina hit, in 2005, and I always thought this pic was from Katrina, so I'm wondering why the timestamp says 2010 - i.e. did I berenstein bears this pic)

edit: looking at it again, if it's an American picture, it's very weird the date stamp is in European format...

edit2: well a quick GIS doesn't come up with the original source but it certainly appears a lot mostly posted to Cisco forums as a funny pic, and with that date stamp. So I guess I mentally retconned this into being taken during Katrina. My entire world is crumbling - if THIS isn't real, what ELSE isn't real? Is it...is it possible 2016 and the last four years weren't a fever dream? Did Donald Trump actually get elected president? but...but that means....oh no.

Assorted Gubbins fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Dec 14, 2020

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
or you just saw a similar image?

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Yeah, there was an image of the SA servers being flooded during Katrina, no clue where to find it nowadays tho

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Two years ago I was involved in setting up web hosting for a third-party who purchased our services to serve files related to a QR code that was going to be publicly installed. Last week I was asked to transfer ownership of this hosting to the third-party so they could take over paying the account rather than continue contracting it with us.

Today I discovered that the project manager provided the QR code manufacturer the plesk preview url instead of the subdomain url.

Spring Heeled Jack
Feb 25, 2007

If you can read this you can read

Ghostlight posted:

Two years ago I was involved in setting up web hosting for a third-party who purchased our services to serve files related to a QR code that was going to be publicly installed. Last week I was asked to transfer ownership of this hosting to the third-party so they could take over paying the account rather than continue contracting it with us.

Today I discovered that the project manager provided the QR code manufacturer the plesk preview url instead of the subdomain url.

I have some good news, no one ever actually scanned the QR code.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

RFC2324 posted:

This is mostly related to where you happen to pop out of their network, based on my understanding. Your public IP is where geolocation is based on, and so it will show your location based on where that IP is(supposed to be) physically.

Try not to be at the geographic center of your country though: https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...rld-of-trouble/

stevewm
May 10, 2005

Spring Heeled Jack posted:

I have some good news, no one ever actually scanned the QR code.

My company's marketing department made a big stink some years ago about getting a QR code sticker to put up everywhere and also include it in our circulars. So I setup a tracking URL for it, made up a code and sent it to them.

This code is plastered all over our stores, on statements, on every circular, and on every piece of advertising material that goes out.

In 5 years how many times would you guess someone actually went to the URL in the code? I just checked and it's a grand total of 4 times! And all 4 of those visits have our corp. office IP on them.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

https://picturesofpeoplescanningqrcodes.tumblr.com/

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
I think the only time I've seen it done is people scanning the code you get in Pokémon card packs because it's easier than typing them out.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

I've spent most of this year scanning QR codes but that's been because I wanted to know if I needed to quarantine rather than to see a VR model of a landmark I'm already visiting.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

My best QR experience was when I visited Frankenmuth during their winter fest many years ago.

I took a picture of one of the displays and tweeted it out. It happened to have a QR code in the display, which a friend of mine was then able to scan and we lol'd for a few minutes about that.

Actually, scratch that. In today's quarantine world, my wife got me a whiskey advent calendar from our local speakeasy. They're 'mystery' drams, like an advent calendar should be, and each of them has an associated card with a QR code that links to the website with the details for the dram.

But otherwise, they're pretty useless from a business viewpoint.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.
I have a QR code for my wireless network SSID and password taped inside of the door to the pantry in our kitchen.

I and the missus have found it much easier to tell people to scan the code with their phone when asked “do you have wifi?”

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I've been to restaurants during the pandemic that instead of paper menu's they tell you to scan a QR code.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

I could see QR codes getting used slightly more now that IOS cameras natively read them instead of requiring another separate app. I think android already did that as well.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

GreenNight posted:

I've been to restaurants during the pandemic that instead of paper menu's they tell you to scan a QR code.

As far as I can tell they are all doing this, at least here. Its pretty cool and probably not going back after things go back to normal

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

I'm trying to remember the last time I scanned a QR code. I think it was to pair some device to my phone because I was too lazy to type in a password on a touchscreen.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

At one point in my travels I sat not too far from a coffee machine. I don't drink coffee and was sick of people asking me about it, so I created documentation in Confluence and made a QR code that linked to that page. Actually, I did the same thing for the water cooler that would frequently break. I don't think it was super useful, but it was nice to be able to say "scan the QR code" instead of having to get into the ins and outs and fixing kitchen appliances.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Oh, yeah, if you want to log into multiple devices on discord, you can scan a qr code on a logged in client to instantly log in a different device.

Last time I actually used my discord password was a couple years ago, despite wiping all my devices over the pandemic

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

BaseballPCHiker posted:

I could see QR codes getting used slightly more now that IOS cameras natively read them instead of requiring another separate app. I think android already did that as well.

Ton of mobile-first payment providers use QR codes, like AliPay, WeChat. I’ve used the QR functionality in Venmo when using it to pay food trucks that use it.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Internet Explorer posted:

At one point in my travels I sat not too far from a coffee machine. I don't drink coffee and was sick of people asking me about it, so I created documentation in Confluence and made a QR code that linked to that page.

That's some nerdy poo poo.

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"

Bob Morales posted:

That's some nerdy poo poo.

I said, posting in a dead gay comedy forum in a thread about working in IT when I, too, work in IT.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

I wish we had a good coffee machine.

We have this piece of poo poo:

I don't know if it needs servicing but it's watery than poo poo. Once in a while I can get a french vanilla out of it that rivals the local gas station, but only if I'm lucky.

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

Best coffee I had when was at Pivotal, where they supplied us with 4 Baratza grinders, 8 pourover stations and let us expense a reasonable amount of beans per week.

Worst experience was at a NOC, where they had a pretty good WMF 1500 loaded with Illy beans for espresso. Except they shut it off at the end of the working day for cleaning and the night shift NOC operators had to make do with a frozen concentrate machine.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

luminalflux posted:

Best coffee I had when was at Pivotal, where they supplied us with 4 Baratza grinders, 8 pourover stations and let us expense a reasonable amount of beans per week.

Worst experience was at a NOC, where they had a pretty good WMF 1500 loaded with Illy beans for espresso. Except they shut it off at the end of the working day for cleaning and the night shift NOC operators had to make do with a frozen concentrate machine.

Iced coffee is in now so

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.
NoOoooOOOOooo!

Pull up thread! Pull up! I’d rather we stay in the QRC derail than the impending coffee derail.

:colbert:

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

Agrikk posted:

impending coffee derail.

I got one of these bad boys this year and it literally changed my life for the better in every conceivable way.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I have used QR codes for guest Wi-Fi details as it gets around the "that's too complicated for people to type in" problem while also not having a completely open network.

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010

Agrikk posted:

I have a QR code for my wireless network SSID and password taped inside of the door to the pantry in our kitchen.

I and the missus have found it much easier to tell people to scan the code with their phone when asked “do you have wifi?”

If and when company can visit again I might genuinely look into this. On a scale of 1-10 how absurdly difficult is this to set up?

I work in IT adjacent fields so I'm not as computer touchery as you lot. :(

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

I see what you did there. (It's pretty easy, since ducks have a field of vision spanning 340 degrees.)

~SMcD

DelphiAegis posted:

If and when company can visit again I might genuinely look into this. On a scale of 1-10 how absurdly difficult is this to set up?

https://qifi.org/ or a million other results from google

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

DelphiAegis posted:

If you have an Android phone, you can go into the WiFi settings for the network on your phone, and there is a "share" option that will generate this QR code for you. Easiest way to share and doesn't require leaving the access sitting around.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

Agrikk posted:

NoOoooOOOOooo!

Pull up thread! Pull up! I’d rather we stay in the QRC derail than the impending coffee derail.

:colbert:

I decided to spring for a Trade Coffee subscription and the beans they sent me to use in my french press are loving ace.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Paladine_PSoT posted:

I got one of these bad boys this year and it literally changed my life for the better in every conceivable way.

At a first glance I thought that was a Dell logo at the top

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

It's got that late 2000s Inspiron look that says "this will be broken in 14 months"

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

dragonshardz posted:

I decided to spring for a Trade Coffee subscription and the beans they sent me to use in my french press are loving ace.

Same, we have a Trade Coffee sub for a bag / week, and one from an SF roaster (Andytown) for 2 bags every other week. Most of the time it works out, but the delays mean sometimes we have only one bag of coffee, other times 5 bags.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Thanks Ants posted:

It's got that late 2000s Inspiron look that says "this will be broken in 14 months"

lol

klosterdev
Oct 10, 2006

Na na na na na na na na Batman!
Stop talking about my old Dell Studio

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

At a first glance I thought that was a Dell logo at the top

Does Dell still sell tv’s and xboxes and poo poo

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
I've been meaning to set up a qr code for network wifi access for forever. But I don't have a revolving door of guests and anyone who needs it has it, so, effort.

I really should do it for my said hidden iot network, but I dumped all the waze cams and nothing really uses it. Except maybe my sous vide machine.