Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

deep space nein
Aug 25, 2011

Elderbean posted:

A little late, but Star Citizen is the product of a failed society. I feel silly trying to effort post about a dumb video game, and a lot of it is hard to articulate, but so much of the marketing and community surronding the game is deeply exploitave and unique to our current hell of alienated consumerism.

Nearing a decade of producing nothing close to a complete product, but people are still throwing piles of cash at it. The marketing team releases lifestyle ads where they promote digital yachts as if they were real luxury goods and nerds dip into their credit cards to buy them. They go onto the official forums and write vivid stories about all the parties they're going to have on their fake yacht and speculate about gameplay features that don't and won't exist. In the early years, the forums were filled with these stories, and they all had a very sad energy to them where it was obvious a lot of the whales were chasing a pipe dream.

These speculations universally feature the player being the owner of the best ships, with a crew of underlings who carry out their orders. No ones real life ever seems to intrude, the crew is always there and ready to go. Emergent gameplay features that couldn't possibly exist anytime soon are presented as being certainties.

The most dedicated whales will sometimes post "actual play" stories where they describe what would be a routine or mundane mission in any other game as if it were an immersive, VR experience. They'll use all kinds of purple prose, or they'll describe the conversations they had in game as if everyone was in character the whole time.

It seems like these people are all just desperate for some shared imagination/empowerment in a virtual space but are being tricked into spending thousands of dollars on JPEGs. They've projected so much time and energy onto a fantasy game that will never exist. IDK, its all sad but also funny.

Are the underlings supposed to be real life players who don't put in enough money to be captains?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

deep space nein posted:

Are the underlings supposed to be real life players who don't put in enough money to be captains?

yes. and they are always ready to log on and twiddle some dials so captain whizbang can go on an adventure

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Elderbean posted:

A little late, but Star Citizen is the product of a failed society. I feel silly trying to effort post about a dumb video game, and a lot of it is hard to articulate, but so much of the marketing and community surronding the game is deeply exploitave and unique to our current hell of alienated consumerism.
It's funny that Derek Smart is a prominent critic, because it seems like they're condensing his entire career, which appealed to the same mindset, into one game. Promising a game that create an entire virtual world where you can engage and take control at any level, from the micro to macro scale.

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Dec 14, 2020

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

maybe, one day, you can twiddle enough dials to get your own space jpeg. that's surely a gameplay experience that will lure in the masses to serve their early-backer overlords

deep space nein
Aug 25, 2011

Jazerus posted:

yes. and they are always ready to log on and twiddle some dials so captain whizbang can go on an adventure

Wow. This makes it more insane than I thought but also explains a lot. I could never understand what the draw was to spend that much money on ships in a game, but if they imagine this will make them literal captains of industry that can lord their power over real people then I can see why they are so into this.

It's still completely delusional, but I can at least see the carrot they imagine at the end of the stick.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
If other online game social experiments are any indication, there seems to be a strong tendency for these types to go mad with power and flame out. Plsnetside 2 had a few armchair Warlord- generals and I've heard similar stories of WoW guilds run with an iron fist.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Panfilo posted:

If other online game social experiments are any indication, there seems to be a strong tendency for these types to go mad with power and flame out. Plsnetside 2 had a few armchair Warlord- generals and I've heard similar stories of WoW guilds run with an iron fist.

If the 50 DPK MINUS! dude was a libertarian I'll die from lack of shock.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

deep space nein posted:

Wow. This makes it more insane than I thought but also explains a lot. I could never understand what the draw was to spend that much money on ships in a game, but if they imagine this will make them literal captains of industry that can lord their power over real people then I can see why they are so into this.

It's still completely delusional, but I can at least see the carrot they imagine at the end of the stick.

It's more plausible when you consider other online multiplayer games that become like a second job. World of Warcraft had its guild raids, Star Wars Galaxies had a whole thing with a player-run economy and players doing their own little jobs, Neopets and Gaea Online had whole player economies where you earn points in minigames and traded them with other players on the free market for special items, EVE Online is probably the most notorious for being a kinda boring job where many players are just miners working for corporations instead of getting involved in the wars.

The game I've played closest to that was Puzzle Pirates, where players would get on ships to do jobs like manning the sails or fixing holes in the ship or loading cannonballs or using the bilge pump to get rid of the water leaking into the ship, and the reason why you'd do that is because each job was a little casual game that was fun in its own right. I think there was a minigame for steering the ship, but I never saw it.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Jazerus posted:

So you're basically the poor bastard on FTL having to fight boarders all the time?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I think Barotrauma works a bit like that but is set on a submarine instead.

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

deep space nein posted:

Yes, and a core philosophy of the game is that everything should be realistic so the dev's have promised menial labor and repairs as a thing players will need a crew to do. Everyone thinks they're going to be captain, with a crew of players who treat them like a real authority figure as they earn wages loading cargo into the ship.

I can't stress enough how weird some of these stories feel in a more subtle way. It's basically like watching someone roleplay by themselves.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Elderbean posted:

Yes, and a core philosophy of the game is that everything should be realistic so the dev's have promised menial labor and repairs as a thing players will need a crew to do. Everyone thinks they're going to be captain, with a crew of players who treat them like a real authority figure as they earn wages loading cargo into the ship.

I can't stress enough how weird some of these stories feel in a more subtle way. It's basically like watching someone roleplay by themselves.

Countdown till they introduce bots that do all the menial tasks. Only $30 each!

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Also if you want to be a space capitalist you can play the X series which gives you control of an entire space economy to manage while you fly your space ship round.

Really there are a bunch of games that offer all the parts of star citizen but without the real life lording over people aspect.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

OwlFancier posted:

Also if you want to be a space capitalist you can play the X series which gives you control of an entire space economy to manage while you fly your space ship round.

Really there are a bunch of games that offer all the parts of star citizen but without the real life lording over people aspect.

Well wtf is the point then?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Like I said, no socialization :v:

I don't necessarily know that all the starcit whales are actually in it for the social aspect (though gently caress knows how people with that kind of money work maybe they all love being middle managers or something) as much as probably a bunch of them just wanted a super all in one fancypants graphics space sim, which admittedly none of the other games quite manage, X is a bit simplistic in the fighting department, Elite is basically just fighting and sound/visuals, the crew management style of Pulsar Lost Colony is quite arcadey and gamified. There was a game that went nowhere where you basically spawned in derelict chunks of space debris and you could theoretically dock them together and make bigger ships and everything was simultated down to the component level.

But they're all kinda limited in scope, star citizen seems to promise to be everything and also the best at it and runs on fancy pants cryengine and poo poo. I think a lot of them just don't know how to manage expectations.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Panfilo posted:

There was a mod for some shooty game where you'd play as either a prisoner or a guard. The goal was for the prisoners to escape, but it quickly turned into an insane power trip where the guards would make the prisoners do all sorts of poo poo or they'd shoot them.

Stand in the back corner of the cell. Turn left 90 degrees. Jump five times.

It was just loving insane to watch and I'd like to say I have no idea why anyone would ever play it as the prisoners, but we all know why - they were waiting for their chance to be the guard and torture someone else.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Elderbean posted:

The closest thing I can think of, in tabletop, is the Pathfinder MMO. Because the game was always going to be vaporware, people could project whatever they wanted onto it. Pathfinder was promoted by its fans as being more "realistic" and "immersive" than D&D and it played into expectations for the MMO.

Some people wanted gameplay that was realistic, but a horrible idea. Like being able to steal all of someone's stuff when you killed them, or being able to just walk off with somebody's horse when they weren't riding it.

Some people wanted stuff that is probably technically impossible and a horrible idea. For example, implementing every single magic spell from the tabletop game exactly as it would work in a real virtual universe. So if somebody casts time stop, time would freeze for everyone else on the server. And divination spells have to be able to find anyone or anything in the game.

Some people wanted stuff that was basically asking them to make a revolutionary MMO for them and nobody else. There were people who wanted to run taverns and stores and stables, and have this be a complete game in its own right, so that you could spend hours pouring beers and brushing horse's manes instead of going into dungeons and killing goblins. Fantasizing about being a literal peon.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Halloween Jack posted:

There were people who wanted to run taverns and stores and stables, and have this be a complete game in its own right, so that you could spend hours pouring beers and brushing horse's manes instead of going into dungeons and killing goblins. Fantasizing about being a literal peon.

To be fair, IIRC this was a major pull of that one Star Wars MMORPG, in that there were a lot more things you could do than just Jedi/Smuggler/Jedi Smuggler.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

CommissarMega posted:

To be fair, IIRC this was a major pull of that one Star Wars MMORPG, in that there were a lot more things you could do than just Jedi/Smuggler/Jedi Smuggler.

Then they released those cubes telling people what to do to get force powers and it was like hundreds of hours of stuff the player didn't enjoy and everyone quit the game.

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Katt posted:

Then they released those cubes telling people what to do to get force powers and it was like hundreds of hours of stuff the player didn't enjoy and everyone quit the game.

and then they turned the combat into WoW and made jedi a base class, and everyone who followed the wisdom of the cubes for hundreds of hours to become a jedi quit

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

For instance Sherman’s free market in Georgia plantations.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Wow minimum wage was the only policy used to keep black folks down? Makes you think.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Jazerus posted:

and then they turned the combat into WoW and made jedi a base class, and everyone who followed the wisdom of the cubes for hundreds of hours to become a jedi quit

Is that what happened to Galaxies? Or are you making a TOR reference?

I actually liked the Bounty Hunter storyline, but once was enough.

Caros
May 14, 2008

CommissarMega posted:

Is that what happened to Galaxies? Or are you making a TOR reference?

I actually liked the Bounty Hunter storyline, but once was enough.

Galaxies had a few revamps in like ~2005ish where they drastically changed the game. They altered the combat by squishing what you could equip down to character classes and narrowing the levels of things you could fight to make it generally more wowlike. Then they followed that up with the 'new game enhancement' where they cut the number of professions to nearly a quarter of what there were originally, introduced a wow talent system and other things no one was really clamouring for.

E-Tank
Aug 4, 2011

Caros posted:

Galaxies had a few revamps in like ~2005ish where they drastically changed the game. They altered the combat by squishing what you could equip down to character classes and narrowing the levels of things you could fight to make it generally more wowlike. Then they followed that up with the 'new game enhancement' where they cut the number of professions to nearly a quarter of what there were originally, introduced a wow talent system and other things no one was really clamouring for.

Galaxies was where I first learned about and began to roleplay, writing stories and characters.

At the age of twelve I brokered a deal between two guilds to merge, as we had loads of resources, but were unable to get a city started on Tatooine due to the hard cap on them, and the other guild, which had managed to get the city started, but were completely out of resources to actually do anything with it.

Jump to Lightspeed was amazing and a cool hybridization of RPG and space sim mechanics, but then it all got pissed away by the NGE and 'character levels'.

Sorry, massively off topic, but it kind of ties into how libertarians view the world.

As a video game.

Food was optional in SWG, and provided bonuses. Where you could go out and just start mining resources and nobody could really stop you or lay claim to an area. The most they could do was lock off their homes. Where money was used to better your gear and make more money, as opposed to having to pay to maintain basic needs like food, medicine, and the like.

And I mean, if the idea that everyone's basic needs are always met was baked into the idea of capitalism. . .it might work better? We'd still have the issues of people overharvesting/polluting for money, but at the least we'd have people having to actually pay a fair wage for people on jobs they don't want to do.

E-Tank fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Dec 19, 2020

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

Since we are on video game chat, my first taste of libertarianism was playing Eve Online, as one of the very first members of goonfleet years and years ago

The leader, Remedial, was a huge libertarian and kind of structured the corp around it. Other corps we were fighting had subsidiary programs or gave out free ships if you lost yours in a war, but Remedial made a big post about how the free market would take care of it in our case, with the rich industrialists providing an incentive with cheap ships to defend our area so that they could continue to mine and make more money. I think it was called the Goon Free Trade Zone or something equally ridiculous.

What actually happened is that rich people kept buying up all the local stock of ships and relisting them at a profit (so it ended up MORE expensive to buy stuff), all the modules/weapons etc were similarly marked up and all the rich industrialists made a shitload of money while the normal players who were defending the space got poorer and poorer and it ended up causing a huge wealth gap while we got the crap kicked out of us.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

And they say videogames cannot be educational.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
So you're saying Goonfleet only made it big after it shifted to communism?

E-Tank
Aug 4, 2011

Tarezax posted:

So you're saying Goonfleet only made it big after it shifted to communism?

Exactly that. Communism, ensuring everyone had the ships/gear they needed to do the jobs that needed to be done, was what turned Goonfleet from a pissant third rate corp to the juggernaut it was that pissed everyone else off.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Goon fleet is more social democracy dictatorship than communist, since video games don’t really handle “communal property” in secure ways.

You still have to buy everything besides very cheap ships yourself in the market but depending on what you’re doing you’re paid to do stuff that is useful but doesn’t generate wealth for the player and compensated for most or all of your losses so you can easily rebuy stuff.

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine
Video game chat in the libtertarian thread means it's time to remind everyone that https://mises.org/library/caesar-iii-and-ubiquitous-failure-central-planning exists.

quote:

Unfortunately, there is no option to "Disable Government" (perhaps the makers thought this would be too easy a win), so we are forced to assume full control and to build a city from the ground up. This makes for the perfect experiment in central planning. I spent 3 hours on Skype with my friend J.P. Gonzales trying to finish a level. Even with our combined intellect, ordering and ruling masses of people proved tough.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Libertarian Sim City where you're not allowed to set taxes or do zoning.

TLM3101
Sep 8, 2010

I mean, if we're doing this, then the most recent and unapologetic skewering of Libertarian dogma is, obviously, Cyberpunk 2077; A world where the police hires private contractors to dispense summary justice, corporations run everything, and anything and everything - including the human body - has been commodified to the point that you can literally end up with vital biological functions being repossessed on being fired by your employer.

Ahhhhhh. Freedom!

TLM3101 fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Dec 21, 2020

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Guavanaut posted:

Libertarian Sim City where you're not allowed to set taxes or do zoning.

And bears.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

:perfect:

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I do feel like most city games tend to lack the feeling of herding cats that actual city management would be like. You have to do more work just to stop people from building than you need to do to build up a town. The absolute power approach really only makes sense for like Tropico or Frostpunk.

Of course, Tropico also has a whole system where if you don't provide affordable housing, people will just put up a shack wherever.

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

Caros posted:

I quit galaxies before any of that but I enjoyed being a bothan tailor

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

the Cities: Skylines community helped me realize that all of these games were really just diorama-builders with a bit of friction. like software fishtanks: really you can do anything or nothing and declare victory, but you want to have a fun mix of terrain, and have cute species that don't fight, and keep the ph balanced, etc. and some people get into turning all that off and doing the model train/city thing.

e: right, the Maxis guy called them "software toys" because while they had rules of interaction and simulation, they didn't have really have rules of play, score, or victory.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever
I received a beta key to Galaxies around the turn of the millenium because I was working in a game shop, and I gave it away to a friend from another MMO who was huge into Star Wars. All I can say is that I have never felt that I missed something.