Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

You know you're a bad poster when even after you've been permabanned, people are still complaining about your posting style. :discourse:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Ceave put out a good video about the blue coins in Mario Sunshine

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1sMwz2LLOBY

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

josh04 posted:

I was in a dramatic reading over the summer which included an almost-always-cut scene in between Juliet faking her death and Romeo deciding he too must die, where Shakespeare tells an extended joke about musicians being poor and stupid.

:eng101:
During the 18th (I think) century many scholars were generally of the opinion that Shakespeare was a poor writer since he mixed comedy and tragedy together, which was considered crude and ugly.

Dude just loved to joke even in his darkest tragedies. His jokes tended to be fairly timely so most go over our heads.

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

"wich the worst part was what troll face did to sonic's corpse after words wich was rape it. at that point i looked away"

Hey all. I am working on my biggest, chunkiest video yet. It's about Qanon and where it will go from here, and features an interview with a cult deprogrammer along with a former cult member.

Does anyone know a good place to go for music? Either royalty-free, or a place in general where bands upload all their stuff and are happy for it to be used in whatever? This project is going to be 40 minutes minimum I think, so I'm kinda starved for background audio at the moment.

Bug Squash posted:

:eng101:
During the 18th (I think) century many scholars were generally of the opinion that Shakespeare was a poor writer since he mixed comedy and tragedy together, which was considered crude and ugly.

Dude just loved to joke even in his darkest tragedies. His jokes tended to be fairly timely so most go over our heads.

I'm of the opinion that Shakespeare's "problem plays" (often called because they are a mix of comedy and tragedy) are simply written for broad appeal. If you're a poor shmuck gongfarmer who spends their life in miserable toil, you might see one play in your entire lifetime. As such, it's nice if it's a dramatic mix of genres and styles.

This is also the idea behind "masala cinema" - that bollywood movies jump around in genre so much because many poor families in india only go to the cinema once or tice a year. As such the films all look expensive, have songs, and are filled with weird twists.

Calico Heart fucked around with this message at 13:11 on Dec 15, 2020

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i4Pwl7hgWDQ

NS talks about a game based on a smoking hot property that was impossible to fail... yet failed anyway.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Calico Heart posted:

Hey all. I am working on my biggest, chunkiest video yet. It's about Qanon and where it will go from here, and features an interview with a cult deprogrammer along with a former cult member.

Does anyone know a good place to go for music? Either royalty-free, or a place in general where bands upload all their stuff and are happy for it to be used in whatever? This project is going to be 40 minutes minimum I think, so I'm kinda starved for background audio at the moment.

A youtube channel I watched years ago used a lot of music from Kevin MacLeod, who has composed a huge variety of instrumental music with the intent for it to be used royalty free as long as it's credited. I always thought there was a lot of good music there and that if I ever made videos of my own I'd dig around to find something fitting.

https://incompetech.com/music/royalty-free/

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

There's Epidemic Sound too. Monthly fee but worth it if you're planning on using lots of stock music. https://www.epidemicsound.com/

MacLeod is fine also. Only thing there is his stuff has been around for years so you *might* find a bunch of it to be overly familiar.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

I played a Sherlock Holmes game knowing full well it was going to be a piece of poo poo, and I was still annoyed that they used royalty-free Kevin MacLeod music during the climax.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Archer666 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i4Pwl7hgWDQ

NS talks about a game based on a smoking hot property that was impossible to fail... yet failed anyway.

I don't really watch these much, does he always just make random insane speculation like 'GAMESPOT WAS A LITTLE TOO POSITIVE WINK WINK' and 'maybe everyone was mad because they made you play someone lame like Ms Marvel at the start and everyone knows she's a sucky nobody'.

Like is his analysis videos really just him monotone reading out the development timeline and then cranking off about poo poo he just assumes happened?

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

I mean given how bad Marvels Avengers was I don't think it's really wild speculation to say that people who gave it good scores were told by management to not rock the boat. Either that or they just autopilot their reviews of grindy skinner box games because reviewers got deadlines to meet. But the Ms Marvel thing some dumb bullshit. Anyone who cares about comics or heck most of the cartoons knows her, and if you only know the movies well they failed to get the likenesses or personality of the movie anyways.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

No? He does go over the development timeline, including controversies or issues that come up, and usually points to those as reasons for failure. Or, typically with competitive games, he sometimes gets community feedback on what happened. Like with Heroes of the Storm and Blizzard’s handling of tournaments.

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008
^^This yeah. He goes through the development timeline, then release and post-release and throws up theories on why a certain product failed. Its interesting to watch if you know of a game that failed, but haven't really followed the game yourself. His Anthem video is also pretty interesting as it dives into that particularly messy development cycle.

Terrible Opinions posted:

I mean given how bad Marvels Avengers was I don't think it's really wild speculation to say that people who gave it good scores were told by management to not rock the boat. Either that or they just autopilot their reviews of grindy skinner box games because reviewers got deadlines to meet. But the Ms Marvel thing some dumb bullshit. Anyone who cares about comics or heck most of the cartoons knows her, and if you only know the movies well they failed to get the likenesses or personality of the movie anyways.

I think his speculations comes more from absolute normies who only know the movies and nothing more and how they might be less interested in the game cause the beginning of the game is focused around her. Knowing how some Gamers/hardcore comic book fans can get with female characters, I don't think its farfetched to think that maybe that contributed to some hype dying off. But I'm just spitballing here. I played the beta with some of my normie friends and they liked her well enough, despite not being into Marvel stuff outside of the movies.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

There isn't really much point to making one of his videos on the Avengers just cause the answer to "why did this game die?" is because it was a bad game straight up. It was designed to be a cash shop first and a game second.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3eqS3U6VEDY

Goddamn, when Sage finds a crazy production story he delivers.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

He’s not wrong about Ms. Marvel. I appreciate her inclusion, but your average player has only seen the movies that she doesn’t appear in. They want to play as those characters and being forced to play as someone else for a few hours is going to cause frustration. This has nothing to do with Ms. Marvel (he even says in the video her bits are good) but about the expectations set for the game.

Which is the game’s biggest flaw: it is trying to appear as a movie tie-in when it 100% wasn’t up to the task. The other Marvel game on Switch didn’t get this kind of poo poo because it was very upfront about being its own thing.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
It certainly feels like it's trying really hard to be the MCU without being the MCU.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

The Bee posted:

It certainly feels like it's trying really hard to be the MCU without being the MCU.
Feels like Disney got really involved in production; much like how they get involved in the Kingdom Hearts Series with their :psyduck: mandates

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?

achillesforever6 posted:

Feels like Disney got really involved in production; much like how they get involved in the Kingdom Hearts Series with their :psyduck: mandates

I find it funny that all of the sudden they decided they didn't want Mickey/Goofy/Donald being mean and hitting people. Like wtf did you think they were doing in the other 43589076 games?

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Disney is to KH what Nintendo is to Paper Mario. That is to say, the parts of the franchise that actually appealed to fans because they were so different now make the corporate overlords uncomfortable and they would prefer if we just forgot about that and focused on the sterile, inoffensive brand they ultimately settled on as market testing well across all demographics.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
Ms. Marvel is very popular, but with tweens and teens who pick up her comic collections at the school book fairs. You can tell Disney wants to push her into the forefront because they'll slip her into various tertiary tie-in products when they can, and did even before they confirmed her Disney+ show. I don't know if they'd bother to push for her in the Avengers video game, but I wouldn't be surprised if someone thought it'd be an attractive way to pull a new audience into buying the game because "those kids love them some Fortnite, let's get them on our cash shop game!"

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Nuns with Guns posted:

Ms. Marvel is very popular, but with tweens and teens who pick up her comic collections at the school book fairs. You can tell Disney wants to push her into the forefront because they'll slip her into various tertiary tie-in products when they can, and did even before they confirmed her Disney+ show. I don't know if they'd bother to push for her in the Avengers video game, but I wouldn't be surprised if someone thought it'd be an attractive way to pull a new audience into buying the game because "those kids love them some Fortnite, let's get them on our cash shop game!"

It's not like it's she's a bad example of a POV character. Plus she's a handy dog whistle when people erupt out of the woodwork to decry her appearing as 'political.'

Microcline
Jul 27, 2012

Pants Donkey posted:

He’s not wrong about Ms. Marvel. I appreciate her inclusion, but your average player has only seen the movies that she doesn’t appear in. They want to play as those characters and being forced to play as someone else for a few hours is going to cause frustration. This has nothing to do with Ms. Marvel (he even says in the video her bits are good) but about the expectations set for the game.

Which is the game’s biggest flaw: it is trying to appear as a movie tie-in when it 100% wasn’t up to the task. The other Marvel game on Switch didn’t get this kind of poo poo because it was very upfront about being its own thing.

The majority of MCU content is about characters that were significantly less popular than Ms. Marvel before appearing in the MCU, and to look at a comparable media empire most Star Wars licensed games (with the exception of Lego Star Wars) are primarily about entirely original characters.

If anything I think it failed because it was a tie-in game, and tie-ins are never good. Like I still haven't seen any marketing material that actually explains what the appeal of the gameplay is.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Dawgstar posted:

It's not like it's she's a bad example of a POV character. Plus she's a handy dog whistle when people erupt out of the woodwork to decry her appearing as 'political.'

It's great because you can see it happening in reaction to that production teaser Disney put out a few days ago for the Ms. Marvel series. At one point someone mentions in it how she's relatable, and there were already some comments crying about how Peter Parker was relatable first and like, yeah, and she's relatable in a different way. She's a nerdy girl who writes fan-fiction and idolizes superheroes. She's relatable to girls who are into comics in a way Peter always has been for boys.

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

Srice posted:

Ceave put out a good video about the blue coins in Mario Sunshine

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1sMwz2LLOBY

I love the Blue Coins in Sunshine. Sunshine has much denser levels than 64 and Blue Coins really emphasize that imo. I agree with this person that the save prompt that pops up every time is annoying but disagree with the notion that they're "mandatory". You don't have to get every Blue Coin/Shine Sprite in order to beat the game. You only need them if you're doing 100% completion so complaining that you need to collect everything in a game in order to get 100% completion is kind of silly to me personally. Alltho I get their main problem with BCs is that some of them are tedious to find and I admit I don't have that problem because I still have my old Prima Strategy Guide that has a checklist for each BC which makes each one harder to miss.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Jamie Faith posted:

I love the Blue Coins in Sunshine. Sunshine has much denser levels than 64 and Blue Coins really emphasize that imo. I agree with this person that the save prompt that pops up every time is annoying but disagree with the notion that they're "mandatory". You don't have to get every Blue Coin/Shine Sprite in order to beat the game. You only need them if you're doing 100% completion so complaining that you need to collect everything in a game in order to get 100% completion is kind of silly to me personally. Alltho I get their main problem with BCs is that some of them are tedious to find and I admit I don't have that problem because I still have my old Prima Strategy Guide that has a checklist for each BC which makes each one harder to miss.

Sure you don’t have to get every shine. That doesn’t mean it’s not a problem for a gameplay element to make the game super unfun to play that way if that’s the way you want to play it. I guess I don’t really get what your point is.

EDIT: Also, the video totally covers this. Getting all of the shines should be fun. It doesn’t necessarily have to be a challenge only for the most dedicated of players. The guy in the video says that he always goes for all the stars in 64 and Galaxy because they’re fun to get, but doesn’t in Sunshine because getting them all there is just tedious. That’s a problem.

Frankly, I don’t really understand the purpose of the blue coins only being there for certain shines. If they’re supposed to encourage exploration, why would you want it to be possible for a person to explore an area and not be able to get the coin that’s sometimes there?

Ariong fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Dec 15, 2020

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Dawgstar posted:

When she was announced for Marvel Heroes a thread almost immediately appeared in their forums calling for her not to be released until she publicly acknowledged Israel's right to exist.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Ghostlight posted:

When she was announced for Marvel Heroes a thread almost immediately appeared in their forums calling for her not to be released until she publicly acknowledged Israel's right to exist.

They didn't know her family was from Pakistan, huh?

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012

Sydin posted:

Disney is to KH what Nintendo is to Paper Mario. That is to say, the parts of the franchise that actually appealed to fans because they were so different now make the corporate overlords uncomfortable and they would prefer if we just forgot about that and focused on the sterile, inoffensive brand they ultimately settled on as market testing well across all demographics.
At least there's some of that old Paper Mario flavor in the Origami King. They still don't have those creative designs present in the first two games, but the writing goes to some interesting places. I burst out laughing when I found out the final boss hates the overabundance of Toads as much as people who hate the new Paper Mario games do.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
Oh noooo a video on The Arkh Project:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b8tZVgUK2P4

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe
That got pretty... uh :stare:

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.
Online animator guy Noodle made a video on video game dev crunch, including the best ever ad reading for Manscaped: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aS3-iSEwNhs

Yardbomb posted:

People who just assume that Skakespeare as a whole is some infallible high and cultured artistry are hilarious.
I like the analogy of Shakespeare being the pro wrestling of the era; action comedy-melodrama in tights with "ripped from the headlines" storylines and broad caricatures. Wrestlers cut promos, actors make soliloquies, that's all.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

stillvisions posted:

Online animator guy Noodle made a video on video game dev crunch, including the best ever ad reading for Manscaped: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aS3-iSEwNhs

I like the analogy of Shakespeare being the pro wrestling of the era; action comedy-melodrama in tights with "ripped from the headlines" storylines and broad caricatures. Wrestlers cut promos, actors make soliloquies, that's all.

Brandon Routh's final episode of Legends of Tomorrow had them going back to Elizabethan England and Shakespeare sees them having a super hero fight and he ditches comedies and tragedies to write super hero plays, turning Romeo and Juliet into Romeo v. Juliet: Dawn of Justness, and they have to go back again and convince him to write his normal plays to fix history.

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe
Richard III is Tudor propaganda.

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

He didn't even write any of the plays anyway, wake up sheeple smh :smuggo:

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Violet_Sky posted:

We all know that Richard Duke of York grew up to be a big strong boy.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Violet_Sky posted:

All of his historical plays are, plus Macbeth, yeah. King James was the patron for his theater troupe: The King's Men.

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

Nuns with Guns posted:

All of his historical plays are, plus Macbeth, yeah. King James was the patron for his theater troupe: The King's Men.

King James is a bloody Stuart king, stop getting Albion wrong.

In all seriousness, yeah. The annoying thing when Shakey's taught in schools that often a lot of context gets removed and he's just presented as THIS GREAT MAN WHO CREATED OUR LANGUAGE THAT YOU MUST RESPECT and so forth when he was but the most popular playwright of his day, and it's far more interesting to view him from that angle. No wonder so many kids despise him. Not that Shakey isn't good, I love a lot of it. But he doesn't need the pedestal.

I presume a lot of Shakey is still taught in the schools. The government doesn't like kids learning about authors and books that aren't British.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

history is propaganda.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Violet_Sky posted:

Yeah, no poo poo, dude. I hope you're seated for this one: so was Sergei Eisenstein's body of work.

Kim Justice posted:

King James is a bloody Stuart king, stop getting Albion wrong.

In all seriousness, yeah. The annoying thing when Shakey's taught in schools that often a lot of context gets removed and he's just presented as THIS GREAT MAN WHO CREATED OUR LANGUAGE THAT YOU MUST RESPECT and so forth when he was but the most popular playwright of his day, and it's far more interesting to view him from that angle. No wonder so many kids despise him. Not that Shakey isn't good, I love a lot of it. But he doesn't need the pedestal.

I presume a lot of Shakey is still taught in the schools. The government doesn't like kids learning about authors and books that aren't British.

Catholic girls' school English teacher chiming in. I taught Midsummer Night's Dream at the start of the year to a class of 14 year-olds prior to the nation-wide lockdown my country did (which also totally disrupted the assessment task based around it). We kind of try to emphasise that the ideas of Shakespeare's plays are still relevant, or in some cases, ahead of their time (like the 4th-wall breaking in Midsummer Night's Dream and the play-within-a-play subplot), and one of the ways in which we try to emphasise the relevance of Shakespeare is "lots of words and phrases he used were first recorded in his writing."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

Violet_Sky posted:

And Henry VI had a sharp hatchet for Jeanne d'Arc too.