Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

OwlFancier posted:

Also if you don't want to do crimbo you can do saturnalia instead.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mvURMFzcIqc
How do we know Io Saturnalia is pronounced Io and not like

Also that video reminds me of deep fried history chat from the autumn/summer/time isn't real thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
Tenderstem in a pan with an arseload of butter, garlic, and rock salt, finished with a little sesame oil as said above is a great shout.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
Eat the broccoli, Owlfancier!

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010
I don't eat vegetables

Which is why I'm dying

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

If you do eat vegetables you will not die. If you eat enough vegetables you will only become progressively more alive.

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

Fresh fruit for rotting vegetables.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

that Fatwa about Covid posted:

Trivial things are excused, and we have been forbidden from being overly technical.

Allah wants ease for His servants, not hardship, and He loves that His servants avail themselves of His concessions; sometimes, using them is preferable or even obligatory. Disease (or fear of it) warrants the making of concessions.

What is likelier is treated like what is certain, and what is imminent is treated like what is present. This means that that which is likely to happen is given some of the rulings and concessions of that which is present.

I'm absolutely loving the religious proscription against playing silly buggers, as well as a flat out declaration that saving lives is more important than sticking to the letter of the law. None of this pedantism about "well, if you interpret this to technically mean that"

Goldskull
Feb 20, 2011

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

Ukmt I need your expertise in all things food to answer me the following question

What

the gently caress is this cookie cutter supposed to be

It's a Turkey's head no? Beak to the right.

Quite why you'd want that shape for a cookie I dunno, but that's what it immediately looked like to me.
Got a main Xmas meal of Portuguese style beef/chorizo this year, which takes a day of prep but infinitely owns turkey. With attendant Bolinhos de Bacalhau, veg & some other good stuff I'm sure I'll be making a trip to Camden for in the next week.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Goldskull posted:

It's a Turkey's head no? Beak to the right.

Or, a whole turkey and the bumps around the top are it’s tail fan, the hooked bit on the right is it’s head

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

This is going to be live-streamed on Facebook at 7pm tonight for anyone interested:

https://www.facebook.com/events/1060390087765457/

Facebook account not necessary to watch it as it is 'public'.
Trying to watch this, it says it's happening atm on the event page but no stream - anyone else made it work?

I do not have a Facebook account

e: nm, it's past the amount of time I'm willing to gently caress around whilst my dinner goes cold. I tried, Jewish radicals

Borrovan fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Dec 15, 2020

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Borrovan posted:

Trying to watch this, it says it's happening atm on the event page but no stream - anyone else made it work?

I do not have a Facebook account

e: nm, it's past the amount of time I'm willing to gently caress around whilst my dinner goes cold. I tried, Jewish radicals

Try this link - it's streaming from the Red labour page - Alexei Sayle speaking right now:
https://fb.watch/2oNdKHKPAa/

https://www.facebook.com/watch/live/?v=402437467682837&ref=watch_permalink

Yeah sorry Borrovan it wasn't clear how to find it from the link I originally posted (I only just found it too!)

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Dec 15, 2020

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Strom Cuzewon posted:

I'm absolutely loving the religious proscription against playing silly buggers, as well as a flat out declaration that saving lives is more important than sticking to the letter of the law. None of this pedantism about "well, if you interpret this to technically mean that"
I love "What is likelier is treated like what is certain, and what is imminent is treated like what is present." because it's the only way to act in an emergency.

I pulled the first rule of engineering ethics on someone wittering about the vaccines a few days ago, there's no such thing as safe, there's only safer. It's not safe sex, it's safer sex, there's no safe cars, but there are safer cars, and the vaccines don't cause the laundry list of cardiac, reproductive, and pulmonary effects that the virus does, so the vaccine is safer.

People demand a level of safety from the vaccines that they don't care about with the disease.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Guavanaut posted:

I love "What is likelier is treated like what is certain, and what is imminent is treated like what is present." because it's the only way to act in an emergency.

I pulled the first rule of engineering ethics on someone wittering about the vaccines a few days ago, there's no such thing as safe, there's only safer. It's not safe sex, it's safer sex, there's no safe cars, but there are safer cars, and the vaccines don't cause the laundry list of cardiac, reproductive, and pulmonary effects that the virus does, so the vaccine is safer.

People demand a level of safety from the vaccines that they don't care about with the disease.

Yeah. Nothing in medicine (or life) is 100% safe.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Guavanaut posted:

Which is intuitively understandable, because the vaccine is something you are going to get and is created by human action and is thus receptive to demands, whereas the disease is something you are trying to avoid and won't listen to your demands anyway.

I demand a level of safety from the road that I don't care about with cliffs, because I avoid cliffs.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I could understand that if it was only 10x as safe, like the undercooked polio vaccines that gave a bunch of kids polio, whereas polio could be avoided for a while at least by isolation and sanitation.

But there has to come a point where that's overruled, maybe it's not even 100x as safe, if you really fancy your odds, but there's people who are comparing a couple of allergic reactions to a 40% chance of irreversible heart damage and 70,000 deaths and still not taking the preventative choice.

I'm pretty sure that there's a strong intersection with the sorts of people who share memes claiming that seatbelts are unsafe. It's true, in that crashing while wearing one is far less safe than not crashing.

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Try this link - it's streaming from the Red labour page - Alexei Sayle speaking right now:
https://fb.watch/2oNdKHKPAa/

https://www.facebook.com/watch/live/?v=402437467682837&ref=watch_permalink

Yeah sorry Borrovan it wasn't clear how to find it from the link I originally posted (I only just found it too!)
Booooo I missed him :(
(tyvm though, I'm in now!)

UnquietDream
Jul 20, 2008

How strange that nobody sees the wonder in one another

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

Ukmt I need your expertise in all things food to answer me the following question

What

the gently caress is this cookie cutter supposed to be

It's you, I mean, it's ewe... I'm saying it's a sheep.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Borrovan posted:

Booooo I missed him :(
(tyvm though, I'm in now!)

I'm hoping that it'll be available to watch afterwards as I've got a pre-existing online meeting starting at 8pm that I can't change.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Guavanaut posted:

How do we know Io Saturnalia is pronounced Io and not like

Also that video reminds me of deep fried history chat from the autumn/summer/time isn't real thread.

It's not (at least not how he does, though it's not Jo either). Basically every country have their own pronunciation of Latin, the UK one being one of the relatively weirder ones. The catholic church have their own too, called ecclesiastical Latin.

There is actually a reconstructed classical pronunciation of latin, but it's more of a mix of German and Italian than anything else (famously with Caesar being pronounced as Kaisar).

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I always assumed that it would actually be pronounced 'yo', because that's the easiest one to shout.

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

Corbz is going on The Canary and the internet is not happy.

I knew they were a bit of a rag but what has happened to push them and mendoza over the edge of acceptability?

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

notaspy posted:

Corbz is going on The Canary and the internet is not happy.

I knew they were a bit of a rag but what has happened to push them and mendoza over the edge of acceptability?

I was wondering the same thing, plus why was Mendoza banned and then reinstated on Twitter the other day? I know some people hate the monetisation model the Canary uses but this seems way ott for that.

Some noises from Westminster starting to sound like a deal might be brewing.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

As far as I know the canary is basically the left flavoured sunday sport.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
The Canary has Steve Topple as one of its regular writers, and he's actually, properly antisemitic on social media.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Unrelated but SMGT, had a fun evening and thought of you:

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

Lungboy posted:

I was wondering the same thing, plus why was Mendoza banned and then reinstated on Twitter the other day? I know some people hate the monetisation model the Canary uses but this seems way ott for that.

Some noises from Westminster starting to sound like a deal might be brewing.

I think she got mass reported by the Lee harpin crowd for calling JLM white supremacists, and then when it turned out she didn't actually call them white supremacists so they unsuspended her?

https://twitter.com/SCynic1/status/1333102407396581378?s=20

all I saw was Lee having a mini meltdown because he can't read

https://twitter.com/lmharpin/status/1333383719177084929?s=20
https://twitter.com/lmharpin/status/1333416527102693379?s=20
https://twitter.com/lmharpin/status/1333486763638206465?s=20
https://twitter.com/lmharpin/status/1333490184755798020?s=20
https://twitter.com/lmharpin/status/1333491656973279233?s=20

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

Darth Walrus posted:

The Canary has Steve Topple as one of its regular writers, and he's actually, properly antisemitic on social media.

He did a pretty reasonable mea culpa over that awful stuff.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Lungboy posted:

He did a pretty reasonable mea culpa over that awful stuff.

quote:

First off – I am not an anti-Semite. I’m not racist, or phobic about anyone, for that matter.

Suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuure.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Always a good sign when someone has to clarify in response to their actions that they are not racist

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

EAT. SHIT.

Guavanaut posted:

I always assumed that it would actually be pronounced 'yo', because that's the easiest one to shout.

You'll be happy to hear it's somewhere in-between the two - should be same as in Italian, which is this: https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/7/77/It-io.ogg.

There's a slight pause but it's far less than the ah-yo that you'd do in English Latin pronunciation.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Private Speech posted:

You'll be happy to hear it's somewhere in-between the two - should be same as in Italian, which is this: https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/7/77/It-io.ogg.

There's a slight pause but it's far less than the ah-yo that you'd do in English Latin pronunciation.

I too, have played age of mythology.

Dro-se-che?

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

OwlFancier posted:

Dro-se-che?

I actually have not! :shobon: I like games and everything, but that one passed me by.

Somewhat humorously I do have the official Age of Mythology boardgame which I got as a teen. It's okay.

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Dec 15, 2020

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

OwlFancier posted:

Dro-se-che?

Prostagma?
Esto!

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It's quite good in an age of empires sorta way, and the campaign is basically if you took a whole bunch of classical and norse mythology and threw it in a blender.

Also yes as above you will have those voice lines chiseled into your brain.

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal

Private Speech posted:

In legal or common Latin phrases maybe, but I don't think Latin has been taught with that pronunciation for fifty years or so.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Thanks to whoever posted that list a while back of incidents in Harry Potter which took place in toilets and the other info.

Was just chatting with a friend (Guardian reader/ BBC watcher) who is basically a good egg and he raised the subject of the J K Rowling 'pile on' so I was able to have a little discussion with him about 'safe spaces for women' (He said JKR had been raped in a toilet by a man when she was young - I have no idea if this is the case or not as to be honest I've not paid over much attention to the details of the whole JKR thing- but it is what he has picked up from his sources).

I was able to have a little bit of a discussion re banning some people from the women's toilets wasn't going to stop assaults from anyone of any gender and had he noticed JKR's obsession with toilets? (I've never read HP but he has as he has young kids.) He said he thought that she was a good person and had never said any bad stuff about people but everyone just hit on her, and I said 'have you ever read her twitter?' (No).

And also, when he said he thought maybe things should be put off until people were older and weren't mixed-up teens, thanks to some posts a few days ago, also able to mention (again, without being familiar with all the details) that I thought the issue re puberty blockers was that they postponed puberty so that someone could be sure about their decision, but didn't prevent puberty, but once puberty had happened, certain changes became very difficult to alter.

Anyway, my apologies if any of my understanding here is little confused, but at least I gave him some food for thought (he is always open to listen to other opinions and scientific points of view and I was very clear to him that I wasn't sure of all the ins and outs).

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

Oh dear me posted:

In legal or common Latin phrases maybe, but I don't think Latin has been taught with that pronunciation for fifty years or so.

That might be, my knowledge of English Latin pronunciation is a bit patchy. I went to a fairly posh classics-oriented school in eastern europe so I never learned all the details of it (eastern european countries naturally have their own weirdo modern Latin pronunciation, but we did learn classical as well and we've also gotten to go to a classics conference in London so I've had some exposure to the English one).

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
:yikes: those Topple tweets

Private Speech posted:

Io Sushi

That seems to be something of a human universal with words of loud agreement or salutation, like with yebo in Zulu/Swazi/SA English.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

And also, when he said he thought maybe things should be put off until people were older and weren't mixed-up teens, thanks to some posts a few days ago, also able to mention (again, without being familiar with all the details) that I thought the issue re puberty blockers was that they postponed puberty so that someone could be sure about their decision, but didn't prevent puberty, but once puberty had happened, certain changes became very difficult to alter.

The critical thing with this, which perhaps ties into guavanaut's earlier post about safety, is that when puberty is the thing you are unsure about then you can't just wait until you're feeling more sure, because that's going to happen to you without intervention. And yes, delaying it might not be ideal, it might end up not being what you want, but evidence suggests that just allowing what is for everyone an unpleasant thing and for some people an actually loving deadly thing to happen because you think that only positive action carries moral culpability, then that's just killing people to salve your conscience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aug 4, 2010

16 Yes polls in a row, let this fetid corpse of an occupation union end. The Ingerlish can keep voting corrupt tories to the end of times to keep the gamon faces in Kettering pubs happy and the rest of us can do our own thing. Lets do it.