Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cheese Thief
Oct 30, 2020

Ok Comboomer posted:

The controllers in question are like <$200 too. People turn them into synth controllers and sequencers and poo poo.

That Behringer rotary controller looks like it'd be really useful. As someone who doesn't like Behringer that much this product seems like one of their good ones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Cheese Thief posted:

That Behringer rotary controller looks like it'd be really useful. As someone who doesn't like Behringer that much this product seems like one of their good ones.

Now that I know that you can do pretty deep FM design right on the OPSIX, and that you can do so with DX7 patches, it has become more interesting to me than both versions of the Minilogue.

Granted I had a Minilogue and sold it, but I did have vague plans to replace it with an XD at.......some point.

Cheese Thief
Oct 30, 2020
I've been reading a lot. So Yamaha DX7 isn't true frequency modulation, it's phase modulation. It's capable of recursive algorithms while true FM is not. Recursive modulation is for the very noisy buzzy sounds, which would be difficult to reproduce. Just a little bit of info I've gathered that seemed interesting.

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 24 hours!
this is probably a better place to ask than the MISTer thread. are there any fpga emulations of classic digital synths?

like, if people have fpga'd every video game before 1994, surely there's a dx7 core.

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

https://www.futur3soundz.com/xfm2

First google result

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

The Voice of Labor posted:

this is probably a better place to ask than the MISTer thread. are there any fpga emulations of classic digital synths?

like, if people have fpga'd every video game before 1994, surely there's a dx7 core.

where there's a will there's a way. fpga dev boards have been coming down in price but ive got no experience.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Cheese Thief posted:

It's one of the knobbiest controllers out there. When I decided to get a hardware controller for iVCS3 on the iPad, I almost got one, but picked up the Novation Launch Control XL instead and love it and its flexibility. It has almost as many controls, but with knobs AND sliders, plus a number of buttons to use as toggles if necessary. Plus the red-green LEDs are handy for function assignments. (I have mine laid out to essentially mimic the UI of the VCS3, for example, and the LEDs correspond relatively well to the original knob color coding.

This is all a roundabout way of saying you can still avoid Behringer while getting similar specs.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer
Klevgrand continues to be weird as poo poo and I love them for it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GlIuYSbUAOU

A LOVELY LAD
Feb 8, 2006

Hey man, wanna hear a secret?

College Slice
I think the knobby controller (BCR iirc off the top of my head) is from before behringer becoming the company that just steals everyone elses work and they're discontinued now so you'll only be able to buy used so none of the money will go directly into beginners pocket.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Daft Punk apparently performed live with those behringers at their peak which I was surprised by but they are knobby as hell to the point there aren’t that many competitors.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Since behringer hasn’t brought back the bcr (the only behringer gear I ever wanted)

they should be cloned and sold by another manufacturer with no credit or remuneration imo

creamcorn
Oct 26, 2007

automatic gun for fast, continuous firing

Cheese Thief posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zysVV3Hxp2U&t=110s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VGN-Qq-SObU
I am considering this very expensive controller for the DX7. It's a huge hardware totally ridiculous mechanism to have hands on control for the DX7. So impractical and not worth it but :cool:

have you looked at dexed my man? it's not just a great free software emulation of the dx7, but it can send sysex to a hardware dx7, so you can macro control from the computer. for $0.00.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

massive spider posted:

Daft Punk apparently performed live with those behringers at their peak which I was surprised by but they are knobby as hell to the point there aren’t that many competitors.

Discovery turns 20 in February :cripes:

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

EBB posted:

Too Long

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

A MIRACLE posted:

Since behringer hasn’t brought back the bcr (the only behringer gear I ever wanted)

they should be cloned and sold by another manufacturer with no credit or remuneration imo

:agreed:

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

EBB posted:

I listened to Discovery yesterday for the first time in a long while, on some streaming service. It sounded really weird to me. I think I got used to the early-2000s-era MP3 encodes that I downloaded in high school and listened to for decades, and now the high fidelity version sounds bizarre.

DragQueenofAngmar
Dec 29, 2009

You shall not pass!

ColdPie posted:

I listened to Discovery yesterday for the first time in a long while, on some streaming service. It sounded really weird to me. I think I got used to the early-2000s-era MP3 encodes that I downloaded in high school and listened to for decades, and now the high fidelity version sounds bizarre.

I have this kind of problem with some Pixies albums I copies from bad CDs in high school, the glitches and stutters feel like a part of the songs for me and it’s weird to hear the uncorrupted versions

Cheese Thief
Oct 30, 2020
Trying to decide between saving for retirement funds or purchasing the Prophet 5 rev 4. Does this thread think the Prophet 5s are going to get rare, and go up in price? I'd like to put off buying one for at least 4 or 5 more years. To PLAY not to resell.

Cheese Thief
Oct 30, 2020

creamcorn posted:

have you looked at dexed my man? it's not just a great free software emulation of the dx7, but it can send sysex to a hardware dx7, so you can macro control from the computer. for $0.00.

Yea dexed is a really useful tool. I use it to load in the sysex sounds that I've collected, test them. I plan to make at least 2 carts to keep loaded onto the hardware(32 onboard 32 on card). In the broader picture of my synth setup, the dx7 i'd use for huge nasty bass sounds.

snorch
Jul 27, 2009

Cheese Thief posted:

Trying to decide between saving for retirement funds or purchasing the Prophet 5 rev 4. Does this thread think the Prophet 5s are going to get rare, and go up in price? I'd like to put off buying one for at least 4 or 5 more years. To PLAY not to resell.

Prophet 10 if you want a synth that holds value due to scarcity, otherwise just wait for the inevitable Brophet, which will put the squeeze on the market and provide an affordable alternative.

snorch fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Dec 15, 2020

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
I want to like the Dreadbox chromatic modular stuff but none of it speaks to me, like at all.

For whatever reason it just seems less compelling and less good than the freaking Boland System 100 stuff that I cannot now in good conscience aspirationally save up for.

Oh well, no eurorack for me, I guess (this is probably a good thing)

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

ColdPie posted:

A lot of the songs from human after all sound weird to me after seeing them live in 2007 because I’m expecting the other parts to come in.

Cheese Thief
Oct 30, 2020
i want to within the next 10 years make my own modular synths. It can't be that hard can it. I think one of the Throbbing Gristle nerds did it that way in the 70s 80s, then surely i can if they can, given the age of information we live in.

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

There’s a ton of diy modular plans all the way up to full kits so buy a soldering iron and get on it

Clavavisage
Nov 12, 2011

Ok Comboomer posted:

I want to like the Dreadbox chromatic modular stuff but none of it speaks to me, like at all.

Ataxia is good for odd ball modulation and it's kinda like a mini-Maths

Cheese Thief
Oct 30, 2020

inferis posted:

There’s a ton of diy modular plans all the way up to full kits so buy a soldering iron and get on it

I'm getting a soldering iron for christmas. Can this tread recommend a kit?
Someone in the electronics thread recommended an Ataripunk console, but the one on amazon looks like iffy quality, planning to choose my own parts. Also reading hackaday. Wanted an arduino, I know Arduinoboy is a project to get midi on the gameboy, but I'm still waiting to do that.
My little project right now will be to make led go blink, and to put together an AM radio.

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well

A MIRACLE posted:

https://soundcloud.com/natively/one-bar-many-times recorded a jam for once. this is the kind of music I make for myself after work, usually with some weed and a beer lol. just zone out and play techno songs

im_sorry posted:

I do this, too... it's a fun way to destress after work. I generally name the resulting tracks after whatever I'm doing or thinking about while I'm working on them. Since for me, "after work" is usually around 10pm, this means that I have to keep things quiet, so I mostly work with softsynths in Reaper. I got a Beatstep Pro a while ago, and I've been using it to make sequences and drum patterns.

The result is stuff like https://soundcloud.com/the_door_is_scary/wanna-pet-that-dog

Nice job, both y'all!

How are you recording stuff, into a DAW or do you have a Zoom or something?

I've found that the moment I click 'record' in Garageband or something all creativity goes out the window. But if i'm just noodling around I like what i'm doing. It's like "If a tree falls in a forest and no one is around" but for noodling on a keyboard. There must be a word for this syndrome, right?

im_sorry
Jan 15, 2006

(9999)
Ultra Carp

frogbs posted:

I've found that the moment I click 'record' in Garageband or something all creativity goes out the window. But if i'm just noodling around I like what i'm doing. It's like "If a tree falls in a forest and no one is around" but for noodling on a keyboard. There must be a word for this syndrome, right?

Have a recording device handy, and if you notice you're noodling, and it sounds good, hit Record. I've uploaded the results to my Soundcloud a couple times, but I still need get into the habit of this.. yesterday, I had the hardware synths going, and I would play one and Lola (cat) would walk on the keyboards following my hand, and it actually sounded pretty cool... but I didn't have the recorder ready to go.

Generally, though, I do software synths in the DAW. I'll load up a software synth, mess around with a MIDI keyboard while watching stupid Youtube videos or something (Goontube is great for this), and if I can find some notes that go together, I'll open the MIDI editor and write them in. Lately, I've been working more with the Beatstep Pro - I'll throw together a drum pattern, come up with a pattern of synth hits that sound good, and adjust the notes of those steps until I get something I like.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

frogbs posted:

Nice job, both y'all!

you have plenty of space on your computer, just hit record when you start and capture everything. then export it as a wav file and keep it in a folder with your other jamz and organize them by date

for the techno system my aim so far has been to design a patch with a four bar pattern using it. then fudge an arrangement to show off the patch. like this: https://soundcloud.com/natively/recording-jams-again

then its just a stereo rip from my mixer over USB into Audacity while I "perform" aka mute and unmute sequencer parts and fiddle with knobs

I think soundcloud might normalize it but thats it for post processing. the octatrack is being used as a really fancy submixer right now and everythings all wired into a patch bay. the octatrack might get more use, especially if I start using more than a stereo feed from the techno system (which has 5 out channels). I could see the octatrack as a four channel thru machine adding verbs and delays which frees up my dual FX module to do something more interesting.

also tempted to get another cv sequencer. the drum sequencer only has one and I use it for basslines, but I'm pretty sure my sample drum module can use the CV lines like that too and be used as two more monosynths. then I could have a major and minor 7 chord samples in those parts and set the playback speed via cv. but that would be a pain in the rear end I should probably just use the octa for that

A MIRACLE fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Dec 16, 2020

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

A MIRACLE posted:

also tempted to get another cv sequencer. the drum sequencer only has one and I use it for basslines, but I'm pretty sure my sample drum module can use the CV lines like that too and be used as two more monosynths. then I could have a major and minor 7 chord samples in those parts and set the playback speed via cv. but that would be a pain in the rear end I should probably just use the octa for that

If you don't want to change the modules in the techno system, check the SQ1.

If you are ready to replace a small module for a CV sequencer with 4 linked channels and plenty of cool functions (X/Y a is, auto-random, quantizing) check the mimetic digitalis

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
https://youtu.be/p5RSIWbZ6Vc

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

SpaceGoatFarts posted:

If you don't want to change the modules in the techno system, check the SQ1.

If you are ready to replace a small module for a CV sequencer with 4 linked channels and plenty of cool functions (X/Y a is, auto-random, quantizing) check the mimetic digitalis

Thanks. I think the only module I would change right now is hi hats d -> hi hats A lol. And that’s only so I could have both on hand

I think my tb03 can do cv sequencing now that I think about it

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

uli behringer's pee pee is really gonna hurt

Pillow Face
Jun 22, 2004

Spreading the Nite Crew cancer one volunteer shift at a time.

^i love ben, he’s such a good dude

does anyone know if a drum machine exists where you can load samples, have a minimum of 4 outs, and be able to import midi files?

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

What do you mean by import midi files

UncleBlazer
Jan 27, 2011

I’d not seen this channel before, very entertaining. Bet Uli won’t even acknowledge its existence.

Pillow Face
Jun 22, 2004

A MIRACLE posted:

What do you mean by import midi files

so i write in daw, and it would be awesome if i could export a midi file from a drum rack into a drum machine that is loaded with my samples for post covid live use. i really don’t want to have to bring a computer + interface + controller + cables to do that, i also don’t want to re-program beats/files into hardware and chain patterns etc, basically doubling work

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

Pillow Face posted:

so i write in daw, and it would be awesome if i could export a midi file from a drum rack into a drum machine that is loaded with my samples for post covid live use. i really don’t want to have to bring a computer + interface + controller + cables to do that, i also don’t want to re-program beats/files into hardware and chain patterns etc, basically doubling work

you might need two things, a hardware sequencer and a drum machine to listen to midi messages. I'm not sure of many dedicated drum machines that also playback midi files. but you could pair a small sampler to a yamaha QY pretty cheaply. load midi files into the QY and play it back to the sampler

e: maybe the MC 707 can do both? not cheap :) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kPdShbdVs58

Pillow Face
Jun 22, 2004

A MIRACLE posted:

you might need two things, a hardware sequencer and a drum machine to listen to midi messages. I'm not sure of many dedicated drum machines that also playback midi files. but you could pair a small sampler to a yamaha QY pretty cheaply. load midi files into the QY and play it back to the sampler

e: maybe the MC 707 can do both? not cheap :) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kPdShbdVs58

oh man, 707 also scratches that itch for a groove box that i can play with on the couch, looks like no midi import expert though

do you know which qy? seems like there were a lot of models. it looks like rm1x potentially fits the sequencer bill as well

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture

Pillow Face posted:

oh man, 707 also scratches that itch for a groove box that i can play with on the couch, looks like no midi import expert though

do you know which qy? seems like there were a lot of models. it looks like rm1x potentially fits the sequencer bill as well

Yeah, I was gonna suggest the RM1x. Just beware: it’s larger than you may think based on pictures.