Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Chevy Chase is clearly a huge rear end in a top hat but definitely way funnier than Steve Martin

I watched an interview from the 70s with Chase on Dick Cavett, and Chase kept looking directly into the camera when speaking and would always glance at the camera after making a joke. I dunno if that was how Cavett's show was supposed to work or if it was just Chase, but he seemed to love it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

hawowanlawow posted:

Chevy Chase is clearly a huge rear end in a top hat but definitely way funnier than Steve Martin

I watched an interview from the 70s with Chase on Dick Cavett, and Chase kept looking directly into the camera when speaking and would always glance at the camera after making a joke. I dunno if that was how Cavett's show was supposed to work or if it was just Chase, but he seemed to love it.

Chevy Chase had to quit the H. He may be the better man but was deffo a different person in his "prime".

Meanwhile Martin was kind of always funny. The Jerk especially.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WPgurvq6MIU

They're old it's comparing apples and oranges that are now rotten.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

ubergnu posted:

Not being a native English speaker, I just found out the proper way to pronounce "superfluous". I thought it was more like "super-floous"! Put that to my shame pile together with "Yosemite". That which lands me into the same bin as Trump, so thanks for that kick in the face.

I ironically call it Yo's might, so don't sweat it.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Superfluous is one of those words that you won't hear in speech very often, I get it.

It's been a fair number of years since I figured this out, but I used to think the emphasis in 'deviant' was on the i.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

Phlegmish posted:

Superfluous is one of those words that you won't hear in speech very often, I get it.

It's been a fair number of years since I figured this out, but I used to think the emphasis in 'deviant' was on the i.

superfluous is self defining

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

ubergnu posted:

Not being a native English speaker, I just found out the proper way to pronounce "superfluous". I thought it was more like "super-floous"! Put that to my shame pile together with "Yosemite". That which lands me into the same bin as Trump, so thanks for that kick in the face.

Must be feeling like me about 20 years ago when I first heard someone say awry :)

Friend
Aug 3, 2008

I read Suge Knight's name for years before ever actually hearing it, and I still have to catch myself from saying "Sewj."

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Alternate pronunciations are just a popularity contest. If it sounds cool enough you can get yours into the dictionary eventually.

Personally I say deluge instead of deluge, which is the correct way according to dictionaries but increasingly less popular to hear in the wild.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

zedprime posted:

Alternate pronunciations are just a popularity contest. If it sounds cool enough you can get yours into the dictionary eventually.

*in a coked-up British chef voice*: "Microwave"

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

It's common to use Jewish ceremonial objects "wrong", to emphasize the difference between those things and the ordinary work you do with ordinary tools. Like when burying a body, those first few shovelfuls are dug with the spoon side of the shovel down, to distinguish that work from other things shovels do.

Why then did I need to be told by the internet that a Menorah is not a thing whose light you use to see in a dark place, read or work? It's there "to be enjoyed", not to be put to use.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

flakeloaf posted:

Like when burying a body, those first few shovelfuls are dug with the spoon side of the shovel down, to distinguish that work from other things shovels do.

Do you normally dig with the handle down?

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Platystemon posted:

I read that as you do it with the scoop part of the shovel making a dome rather than a scoop.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Platystemon posted:

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Still can’t top WWI canadian army and their brilliant plan of a shovel with a hole in it

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

3D Megadoodoo posted:

*in a coked-up British chef voice*: "Microwave"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SRHFB8psBTU

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
That's just really strong Mom Energy

Like asking you to take out the garbahhhhj

old bean factory
Nov 18, 2006

Will ya close the fucking doors?!

What the gently caress

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Friend posted:

I read Suge Knight's name for years before ever actually hearing it, and I still have to catch myself from saying "Sewj."

I don't know why, but this reminds me of when I was in college and somebody tried to correct me about Serj Tankian's name being pronounced "Serge" in the smuggest way possible.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

mng posted:

What the gently caress

They're just playing on words. It's good.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Baron von Eevl posted:

I don't know why, but this reminds me of when I was in college and somebody tried to correct me about Serj Tankian's name being pronounced "Serge" in the smuggest way possible.

Oh no, it's one of those "y" J's, isn't it?

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019
why would you microwave something that's already on the stovetop

why would you put milk into what i assumed are mashed potatoes

nobody in my family uses milk and i'm lactose intolerant so at least once a month i find out about a new way people use milk that seems insane to me

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

Phlegmish posted:

Twenty years after learning the correct pronunciation, it still bugs me that "sleight" rhymes with "height" rather than "weight" and "freight". (We already HAVE a word pronounced that way, it's spelled without the "e"!)

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Dip Viscous posted:

why would you microwave something that's already on the stovetop

why would you put milk into what i assumed are mashed potatoes

nobody in my family uses milk and i'm lactose intolerant so at least once a month i find out about a new way people use milk that seems insane to me

It's pretty common to put both milk and butter into mash potatoes.
I warm the milk up first too.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Wasabi the J posted:

Oh no, it's one of those "y" J's, isn't it?

Apparently some noble soul has made a website that speaks IPA you put in. Copying the pronunciation on Serj's Wikipedia page yields this.

(I also used that to find out how Suge is pronounced).

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

An actual thing I just figured out, in the horror games thread no less: deer can sound like a hellbeast when they want to get their gently caress on. Relevant for me because of a spooky camping experience I had decades ago where me and a buddy ran back home and stayed the night inside after hearing some spooky monster noise we couldn't figure out. I always assumed it had to be a fighting raccoon or something, but it sounded bigger than that and there weren't any likely larger predators in the area.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Captain Hygiene posted:

An actual thing I just figured out, in the horror games thread no less: deer can sound like a hellbeast when they want to get their gently caress on. Relevant for me because of a spooky camping experience I had decades ago where me and a buddy ran back home and stayed the night inside after hearing some spooky monster noise we couldn't figure out. I always assumed it had to be a fighting raccoon or something, but it sounded bigger than that and there weren't any likely larger predators in the area.

Australian possums are cute, stupid, harmless omnivorous creatures that hang out in trees at night.

And sound like some manner of eldritch horror when they're calling to each other.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cHulXzuc_9Y

For mine: the kid from About a Boy is also a Warboy.

Memento has a new favorite as of 01:38 on Dec 16, 2020

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

I would say that's not as terrifying as I expected, it's weird, but closer to something like when my nephew discovered making fart noises :3:

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Captain Hygiene posted:

I would say that's not as terrifying as I expected, it's weird, but closer to something like when my nephew discovered making fart noises :3:

That noise coming from the crawl space in the roof above your bed at 3am when you're sound asleep is something everyone should experience growing up.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Inceltown posted:

That noise coming from the crawl space in the roof above your bed at 3am when you're sound asleep is something everyone should experience growing up.

How did my nephew even get over there :confused:

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Kids are crafty little shits when they want to be

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

I learned a long time ago- we are only top of the food chain on the concrete.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Hyperlynx posted:

Apparently some noble soul has made a website that speaks IPA you put in. Copying the pronunciation on Serj's Wikipedia page yields this.

(I also used that to find out how Suge is pronounced).

For some reason that's just giving me error messages but my understanding is it's "surge."

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!
Snuffles was my slave name.
You shall now call me Snowball; because my fur is pretty and white.

Baron von Eevl posted:

For some reason that's just giving me error messages but my understanding is it's "surge."

It's more like "shoog" as in the first syllable of sugar.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Pretty sure Serj Tankian doesn't pronounce his name the same way as Suge Knight.

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!
Snuffles was my slave name.
You shall now call me Snowball; because my fur is pretty and white.

Baron von Eevl posted:

Pretty sure Serj Tankian doesn't pronounce his name the same way as Suge Knight.

Lol, I didn't see what you quoted properly. According to the pronunciation bot, Serj is 'surz' with the last part of the syllable slurred a bit rather than the hard j sound in 'surge'.

WITCHCRAFT
Aug 28, 2007

Berries That Burn

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQFUA2cr1fw

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

cyberia posted:

And not ‘Shuggy’, like I always thought.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

cyberia posted:

SUGAR! (doo doo doo doo doo) / The Kombucha mushroom people/Sitting around all day/etcetc

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Memento posted:

Australian possums are cute, stupid, harmless omnivorous creatures that hang out in trees at night.

And sound like some manner of eldritch horror when they're calling to each other.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cHulXzuc_9Y

For mine: the kid from About a Boy is also a Warboy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x8oLu7znwQ0

Koalas sound like are actually hellbeasts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007
Curlews and feral red foxes are the worst. One sounds like a crying baby and the other like a woman shrieking