Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Not Wolverine posted:

I appreciate you going over it, but in my opinion the problem is more that the fuel taxes need to be increased. I think it's a bit unfair to use your Volt's range since it is a hybrid and not a pure EV, I think a comparable gasoline only car would average maybe 20/30mpg so estimating your taxes based off of 45mpg could be as little as half of what you would pay with a traditional car.

It's pretty easy to tell if the Volt is on one power source or the other, or using both.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

Godholio posted:

It's pretty easy to tell if the Volt is on one power source or the other, or using both.
Are you saying that if you only fill the tank with gas and never plug in the Volt will stop using it's onboard battery for regenerative braking or using any other tricks that hybrids use to boost their economy? Hell, the Volt's gas motor makes only 84hp, is it even directly connected to the wheels? I'm under the impression the gas motor on a Volt is there solely as a generator. The Volt can use a much smaller gas motor since the batteries can dump a lot of amps when your accelerating, and then switch to sipping just enough gas to recharge while your cruising down the highway. Even if you unplug I think the Volt will still benefit from having the batteries onboard to boost the mileage in ways a non hybrid can not.

Not Wolverine fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Dec 13, 2020

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Not Wolverine posted:

Are you saying that if you only fill the tank with gas and never plug in the Volt will stop using it's onboard battery for regenerative braking or using any other tricks that hybrids use to boost their economy? Hell, the Volt's gas motor makes only 84hp, is it even directly connected to the wheels? I'm under the impression the gas motor on a Voot is there solely as a generator. The Volt can use a much smaller gas motor since the batteries can dump a lot of amps when your accelerating, and then switch to sipping just enough gas to recharge while your cruising down the highway. Even if you unplug I think no the Volt will still benefit from having the batteries onboard to boost the mileage on ways a non hybrid can not.

The second gen Voltec is 101 hp on the gas engine, and the EPA rating for gas engine only use is 42mpg. I've seen about 40, personally. The gas engine will directly drive the wheels (this applies to both generations). "Hold" mode (N/A on the first gen, I think) switches from the primary drive power source being the traction battery to the gas engine...the idea is to "hold current charge level." The battery will contribute if additional power is needed, but when that need is reduced the gas engine will contribute to recharging the battery to the "hold level" when it can. "Mountain" mode is similar, but will use the battery until it gets to 45% charge, then try to hold it there.

Godholio fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Dec 13, 2020

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

taqueso posted:

They made a car that got megawatts per tank of gasoline but they covered it up and made us use batteries
They said my car gets 115 miles to the gallon but I can't find the gas tank to fill it up :mad:

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

I'm shocked that a large number of you EV thread posters have yet to play the Sheep Game!

We have just over a week left before the deadline for the annual AI Sheep Game, and I've only heard from 27 players so far. We can do better than this, AI, and we have! It's my hope that we will break our record this year for the largest Sheep Game of all, which would require 35 more players! There are a lot of people in this thread who post a ton here, but have never participated...why not get in on the fun for the first time ever?

:siren::siren:Click on the picture to continue to the Sheep Game thread!

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Living near a late night bus line, it'll be awesome when they finally swap them all for battery busses. Hopefully delivery trucks too.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Charles posted:

Living near a late night bus line, it'll be awesome when they finally swap them all for battery busses. Hopefully delivery trucks too.

I got to experience a EV bus about a year ago? I think?

It was was not a great bus ride because the acceleration was just so abrupt and jolting - Trying to stand was difficult as the jolt forward would unbalance you without warning. Made me wonder if the driver was just unfamiliar with EV characteristics or the controllers were not well tuned so acceleration would be more gradual in building and not as sharp and abrupt.

Kinda amusing tho that it was probably not a lot slower than my Forester 0- 60 kph

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct...ya4ma5GXmpqvO7d

Interesting paper on this exact subject. Study shows (Abeit with a too low sample size to be conclusive) EV buses are driven more "aggressively"

CAT INTERCEPTOR fucked around with this message at 10:32 on Dec 15, 2020

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

I got to experience a EV bus about a year ago? I think?

It was one of the worst bus rides because the acceleration was just so abrupt and jolting - Trying to stand was difficult as the jolt forward would unbalance you without warning. Made me wonder if the driver was just unfamiliar with EV characteristics or the controllers were not well tuned so acceleration would be more gradual in building and not as sharp and abrupt.

Kinda amusing tho that it was probably not a lot slower than my Forester 0- 60 kph

We'll see! The county ordered 40 with plans for 80 more. They're going to the poorer neighborhoods with more pollution first, so it may be a while before I get my try.

Edit: At least some of them 60feet/18m articulated busses too.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Finally a review from someone who actually drove the car

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c4n5iPqxpaw

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

Charles posted:

Garbage Trucks and Postal Vehicles (96% drive less than 40 miles a day and they are worn out: https://www.greatbusinessschools.org/usps-long-life-vehicle/).

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

VideoGameVet posted:

Garbage Trucks and Postal Vehicles (96% drive less than 40 miles a day and they are worn out: https://www.greatbusinessschools.org/usps-long-life-vehicle/).

They seem to just have old Dodge Grand Caravans here now. But yeah, vehicles that sit idle for long periods of time would at least benefit from hybridization, right? Like cop cars, UPS, garbage, etc? I've noticed they leave the UPS truck running when delivering something. I think some of our garbage trucks are powered by "alternative" fuels at least.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

PIZZA.BAT posted:

I just wish they hadn't called it a Mustang. Not because it's an EV - an EV Mustang faster than a Tesla would be fantastic - but because it's a CUV/sedan, which is not, and never has been, a Mustang. Even '80s/'90s Ford understood this. Can you imaging GM marketing, say, an EV Equinox as a Camaro? Even GM isn't that tasteless. Yet.

Other than the name, I like the car, and it has some really neat details. I love the knob - that's a good solution for tactile/eyes off operation. I like the actual gauge display ahead of the driver, though a small nav display on it like the Model S has would be handy.
Would prefer the option to not have the expensive, fragile glass roof.
Good looking car, for a CUV. Neat visual trick with the "fastback". Price is still a little up there for me, but I'm a cheapskate, and out of touch with what modern cars actually cost now. It's not out of line for comparable vehicles.

edit: shame about the poorly thought-out frunk latch. Why no power option? Engineers still thinking about it like an engine cover that's rarely accessed, apparently.

Darchangel fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Dec 15, 2020

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
They wanted to brand it as "performance" which in Ford parlance is just Mustang. SVO is long dead, SVT is dead, ST is now a trim level. I still think they could have just gotten away with Mach E but I guarantee they focused grouped this thing to hell and back to ensure that customers were going to get a read of performance off of it and this was probably about the only option.

Shamino
Mar 14, 2008

I am weary of loitering about Britain. There is much we could be accomplishing! Where hast thou been, anyway?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TN6W66FXXOs

The fact they just left the engine bay mostly empty and didn't make it a frunk is extremely hilarious. What on earth were they thinking?

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Charles posted:

They seem to just have old Dodge Grand Caravans here now. But yeah, vehicles that sit idle for long periods of time would at least benefit from hybridization, right? Like cop cars, UPS, garbage, etc? I've noticed they leave the UPS truck running when delivering something. I think some of our garbage trucks are powered by "alternative" fuels at least.

The garbage trucks around here are powered by biogas. Which seems quite fitting :v:

Ideally they should be hybrid or electric though...

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Wibla posted:

The garbage trucks around here are powered by biogas. Which seems quite fitting :v:

EV garbage trucks would be a lot quieter so that's already a win.

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

I can't believe Ford is passing up the opportunity to bring back the Thunderbird, like it's right there!

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Humerus posted:

I can't believe Ford is passing up the opportunity to bring back the Thunderbird, like it's right there!

The EV F-150 won't be called the lightning either. SAD!

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Powershift posted:

The EV F-150 won't be called the lightning either. SAD!

See, now THAT would be fitting.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Humerus posted:

Maybe they were afraid of Tesla? They seem to have the Firebird cornered

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

They wanted to brand it as "performance" which in Ford parlance is just Mustang. SVO is long dead, SVT is dead, ST is now a trim level. I still think they could have just gotten away with Mach E but I guarantee they focused grouped this thing to hell and back to ensure that customers were going to get a read of performance off of it and this was probably about the only option.

Worst part is Tesla has already done the ground work in convincing people that EVs are fast/sporty/performance vehicles and they could ride those coattails without doing something dumb like slapping a Mustang name on a SUV.

Other than the name, I think the Mach E is a fantastic looking vehicle inside and out. Yeah, the frunk needs a better release (including from the phone). The only other reservation I'd have is the total lack of handles on the back doors and the weird little fin for a handle on the front doors; it strikes me as another vehicle that is going to suck to get into during winter when there is significant ice/frost on it. Just like I've had issues getting in to my Model 3 during icy weather, even knowing about it in advance doesn't make it less of a pain.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

I’d be shocked if anyone anywhere cared enough about the sanctity of the Mustang brand for that to sway their decision making one way or the other.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
The mustang looks sexy as hell. It's without a doubt the best looking 4-door EV. And it goes fast.

Looks sexy, goes fast is the mustang brand.

Phuzun
Jul 4, 2007

It seems like Ford did a decent job of making an SUV in EV form. I don't get the Mustang name, it could have simply been Mach E. Whatever, wouldn't stop me from buying one (if I were actually in the market).

The volume knob is great, innovative way to keep away from some custom screen design. The door handles seem like they forgot that they have big stupid mirrors screwing them. Maybe they are expecting the regulations to change and don't want to retool to much.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Speleothing posted:

The mustang looks sexy as hell. It's without a doubt the best looking 4-door EV. And it goes fast.

Looks sexy, goes fast is the mustang brand.

Shoulda revived the Crown Victoria marque.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

The Mach E is pretty neat. Very Ford, which is not a bad thing at all. But, and yeah old man yells at cloud, get with the times etc., BUT. gently caress THIS DO EVERYTHING FROM YOUR PHONE APP. loving STOP IT.
I'm glad there's still a keyfob for luddites like me. The frunk should have a button release under the lip that unlocks with keyfob proximity when you're next to it though. Not that the footwell lever is terrible, it's the natural place you'd go to open the hood on every car ever, so it isn't weird. Just could be more convenient since you're using it for storage.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

Finger Prince posted:

The Mach E is pretty neat. Very Ford, which is not a bad thing at all. But, and yeah old man yells at cloud, get with the times etc., BUT. gently caress THIS DO EVERYTHING FROM YOUR PHONE APP. loving STOP IT.
I'm glad there's still a keyfob for luddites like me. The frunk should have a button release under the lip that unlocks with keyfob proximity when you're next to it though. Not that the footwell lever is terrible, it's the natural place you'd go to open the hood on every car ever, so it isn't weird. Just could be more convenient since you're using it for storage.

I have a Kia Niro EV EX and while it has the key-fob (2) if you don't have a smartphone you don't have navigation or charging location.

Maybe there's some magic incantation to bring them up, I might have considered the deluxe model if I knew that (I'm not a fan of sunroofs though).

Xel
Jan 21, 2003

Finger Prince posted:

When my old car keys broke (plastic snapped around the metal) it was $500 to replace them. The replacement set also broke and I ended up using a third non-electronic backup key to start the car until it was time to move on. Personally I'm very happy to just use a phone instead of carrying around a piece of plastic that will wear and eventually need replaced.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

VideoGameVet posted:

I have a Kia Niro EV EX and while it has the key-fob (2) if you don't have a smartphone you don't have navigation or charging location.

Maybe there's some magic incantation to bring them up, I might have considered the deluxe model if I knew that (I'm not a fan of sunroofs though).

I'm not against smartphones, I'm against digging them out whenever I want to do anything like open the door.
Also if the Navi isn't Waze, I never want to use it.

Ice_2_c_u
Sep 13, 2002

Xel posted:

When my old car keys broke (plastic snapped around the metal) it was $500 to replace them. The replacement set also broke and I ended up using a third non-electronic backup key to start the car until it was time to move on. Personally I'm very happy to just use a phone instead of carrying around a piece of plastic that will wear and eventually need replaced.

Jesus

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Wibla posted:

It’s definitely an option that makes sense, but there are some limitations. One being that it’s a smaller market than other applications (box bodies, refrigerated bodies, dump trucks etc) for the given GVW class. The other is in many times they’re shorter wheelbase trucks, and packaging the batteries and powertrain is tough.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

Finger Prince posted:

I'm not against smartphones, I'm against digging them out whenever I want to do anything like open the door.
Also if the Navi isn't Waze, I never want to use it.

Yeah Waze is good. If they merged that with PlugShare and A Better Route Planner it would be the epic EV app.

stevewm
May 10, 2005
It has the typical Ford door keypad entry.. Doug's video touched on the fact it has a "Backup Start Code" you can set. You can use this to start the car if the fob or phone key isn't working. That is kinda neat.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Xel posted:

That's not the technology known as "keys" fault.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
yall are thinking like car people, average fuckin consumer sees Mustang and thinks Fast

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

PIZZA.BAT posted:

Since when does the Model Y Performance start at 52k?

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

I have a real early reservation for a Mach-E GT. Today the dealership called me and asked me if I wanted to switch to a regular one that will supposedly be delivered in January. I told em I wasn't really interested.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

bird with big dick posted:

Since when does the Model Y Performance start at 52k?

Are you asking why Doug said the two cars’ performance models are similarly priced? ‘Cause he’s right.

https://www.ford.com/suvs/mach-e/models/mach-e-gt/

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

I don't understand how anyone can watch a full Doug DeMurro video, I tried really hard before giving up because I'm really interested in this car, but I literally can't do it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Nfcknblvbl posted:

Are you asking why Doug said the two cars’ performance models are similarly priced? ‘Cause he’s right.

https://www.ford.com/suvs/mach-e/models/mach-e-gt/

I mean, with the massive asterix of the Ford qualifying for the $7,500 tax credit and Tesla not, so the Ford is effectively $7000 cheaper in the US, yes that is technically correct.