Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Say, does the Control protagonist (forget her name) control slightly janky when transitioning into/out of sprinting or is my old 360 controller getting weird?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Jesse? I've had no issue. Seems smooth to me.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
The only issue I've noticed with sprinting is that sometimes I end up not sprinting when I want to sprint, but I'd guess that's me screwing up the hold/toggle and/or the game not paying attention to sprint button presses when you're in the middle of other animations. Or something like that.

I don't play many games in this genre, but I've generally been impressed by how fluid Jesse's motion is.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

So early on in Cyberpunk there's a flashback which takes place in 2023 which is still futuristic but in an 80s way.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Warbird posted:

Say, does the Control protagonist (forget her name) control slightly janky when transitioning into/out of sprinting or is my old 360 controller getting weird?

All of Remedy's games are too floaty but you get used to it

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Retro Futurist posted:

All of Remedy's games are too floaty but you get used to it

Actually they don't introduce the floatiness soon enough in this one

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice
Man, there are so many things I want to talk about for Creeper World 4, but the one I want to talk about most right now is The horrible Hubris Trap that is the Creeper Egg. Normally these things will launch themselves at objectives you haven't taken yet and explode into a massive spire of Creeper. If they can't they will instead either hitch a ride on another enemy type that tries to kamikaze your poo poo, making them much deadlier, or they will plant themselves around other enemy structures to make taking them harder.

The thing that makes me call them a Hubris trap is that usually by the time I get to the things spawning them there are dozens around the area. There is a unit that can kill them from long range, causing them to erupt into their payload, which is quite significant. Shooting a dozen or more in rapid succession means that you now suddenly have more creeper in an area than you've faced at any one time in the map, possibly when you don't have nearly enough weapons around to deal with this because you're just casually wrapping things up at that point.

It isn't actually that dangerous for the most part, since it is unlikely enough to challenge your map control, but it is a thing that can catch you off guard, and has frankly had me scrambling to fix my poo poo when I underestimated it the last two maps I've played.

It is a good way to shake things up a lot when you're getting to the cakewalk part of the map. Lovely bit of design.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Captain Hygiene posted:

Actually they don't introduce the floatiness soon enough in this one

nice :hfive:

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Playing Ghost of Tsushima immediately after AC Valhalla, and almost everything about movement and combat just feels more fluid and natural. But one little thing in Valhalla jumps out as a positive in retrospect, you can jump on a ladder from either side, and if you're on the wrong side Eivor will just swing around and climb up the right side. It's a tiny thing, but it's weirdly aggravating to go back to the "NO THE WRONG SIDE IS JUST AN OBSTACLE, YOU CAN'T INTERACT WITH IT" style of this and pretty much every other game.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Captain Hygiene posted:

Playing Ghost of Tsushima immediately after AC Valhalla, and almost everything about movement and combat just feels more fluid and natural. But one little thing in Valhalla jumps out as a positive in retrospect, you can jump on a ladder from either side, and if you're on the wrong side Eivor will just swing around and climb up the right side. It's a tiny thing, but it's weirdly aggravating to go back to the "NO THE WRONG SIDE IS JUST AN OBSTACLE, YOU CAN'T INTERACT WITH IT" style of this and pretty much every other game.

that owns holy poo poo that needs to be in every game

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

You can climb either side of the ladder and even use the thumbstick to swing around. If you approach a hatch or something where you have to be on a specific side to pass then Eivor will automatically swing around, but otherwise which side is the 'correct' side is entirely up to you.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

verbal enema posted:

that owns holy poo poo that needs to be in every game

I know I've seen it in a recent, non-Ubisoft game but I don't remember what. Astral Chain, maybe? Nier Automata? My brain's apparently sure it's Platinum

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Batman does it in the Arkham series

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

I can't believe it took the world's greatest detective to figure out how to climb up ladders properly :\

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Cyberpunk has vending machines that crap out lovely 3D-printed plastic guns

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Cleretic posted:

I know I've seen it in a recent, non-Ubisoft game but I don't remember what. Astral Chain, maybe? Nier Automata? My brain's apparently sure it's Platinum
Yeah I'm sure it was in something pre-Valhalla. Nier Automata is a good bet, albeit for me only because out of those two it's the one I played. It might have been anything. MGSV, even?

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Yeah Kass does it in Odyssey as well, I was oh that's a cool touch first time I did it. Don't remember if Bayek had that particular skill though.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

NoneMoreNegative posted:

Yeah Kass does it in Odyssey as well, I was oh that's a cool touch first time I did it. Don't remember if Bayek had that particular skill though.

2 sided ladders were only invented a few centuries later.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

And two-sided stairs were invented in the late 20th century.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
The best ladders are still in God Hand, where instead of climbing them you just jump to the top/bottom. All the ladder really does is say "hey you can jump up here".

poonchasta
Feb 22, 2007

FFFFAAAFFFFF FFFFFAAAAAAAFFFFF FFFFFFFFAAAAAAFFFFF FFFFFFFAAAAAAAFFFFFF FFFFFFFAAAAAAAFFFFF

Lobok posted:

And two-sided stairs were invented in the late 20th century.

This is Police Story 2 in case anyone was wondering.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

I'm pretty sure Prince of Persia had that so I imagine all the ACs did

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.
It's more of a collection of little things than any one thing, but I absolutely adore the main characters' relationship in Haven. Not because they're obviously in love, but because they've clearly been together long enough to be comfortable around each other. The game is full of dumb little moments that would only work in a relationship that's gone on awhile, like the girl making fun of a zit on the guy's back, or the two of them reading through the girl's teenage diary together and giving her 13-year-old self poo poo. Considering the dire state of most game "romances", it's nice to see a relationship that actually feels like a real relationship, instead of an excuse for ~*drama*~.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Assistant Manager Devil posted:

I know Ubisoft had this at least as early as Assassin's Creed 2 and it's one of those QoL that weirdly hasn't become more widespread.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Bethesda are ahead of the game as usual - they avoid the issue by never having learned how to do ladders in the first place

quote:

"You may not have noticed while playing Bethesda's Fallout or Elder Scrolls titles over the years, but none of the games from those series include climbable ladders as a means of getting to higher places.

Bethesda Game Director Todd Howard admitting during a panel at Quakecon today that one of the gameplay features the studio continues to cut game after game is the inclusion of ladders for players to climb without fading to a loading screen.

"Play our game; find a ladder that you can use. We don't have them," he said.

Where are the ladders?!?
Howard explained the primary reason for not being able to include ladders into environments is due to their engine, saying ladders caused problems for character AI.

"One day, we tried to figure out why we wanted ladders so bad because we don't really need them. It just felt like we're game development ******* because we can't do ladders."

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Man I forgot how good the Ghost Armor is in Ghost of Tsushima. It looks badass, you get a shiny cape (especially in the NG+ color), and it's just entirely too much fun to massively increase the percentage chance for enemies to flee in terror. It's so good I almost put it in the "dragging things down" thread because I just never touch any other outfit any more (well, unless I'm going the comedy undies-only route).

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Ladders suck in every single game. Either you get locked onto em and get shot to death or you float up them slowly and accidentally fall off.

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

Spider-Man just runs up ladders :v:

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

Gaius Marius posted:

Ladders suck in every single game. Either you get locked onto em and get shot to death or you float up them slowly and accidentally fall off.

Real life ladders don't provide cover either :colbert:

Also games nowadays have the dismount ladder button. A little thing there.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
Bloodborne had good ladders.

https://youtu.be/HPjJCVylFBo

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Vic posted:

Real life ladders don't provide cover either :colbert:

Also games nowadays have the dismount ladder button. A little thing there.

You can actually shoot off a ladder though in real life, In most games your character is clinging to that metal for dear life, even as the bullets tear through his flesh.

I do apologize though MGS3 had a good ladder

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
In Enchanted Arms the purpose of a ladder and the mechanics on how to climb are explained. Not to you, the player, but to the protagonist.

It’s a pretty unremarkable game but they really committed to making the protagonist a dumbass on a whole new level

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
Dark Souls 2 has the best ladders

- automatically get on with a large-radius prompt (which you can switch out of if you'd prefer to pick up a nearby item instead)
- you can slide down
- you can jump off
- you can sprint up
- attack up and down mechanics to hit assholes blocking the ladder
- many enemies can use them as well and chase you

Bloodborne and DS3 crucially omitted the sprinting part, you do ascend a little quicker by holding the sprint button, but it's so much slower than DS2's fast ascent.

Demon's Souls (original, dunno yet about remake) had absolutely garbage ladders though, with an insanely slow climbing speed up AND down and no way to speed it up, jump off or anything :v:.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

christmas boots posted:

In Enchanted Arms the purpose of a ladder and the mechanics on how to climb are explained. Not to you, the player, but to the protagonist.

It’s a pretty unremarkable game but they really committed to making the protagonist a dumbass on a whole new level

There’s two things I remember about Enchanted Arms: One is the protagonists travel being blocked by a rockslide and him angrily turning to the party member who convinced him to go with her and blaming her for it.

The other is of course Pizza Golem.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

Simply Simon posted:

Dark Souls 2 has the best ladders

- automatically get on with a large-radius prompt (which you can switch out of if you'd prefer to pick up a nearby item instead)
- you can slide down
- you can jump off
- you can sprint up
- attack up and down mechanics to hit assholes blocking the ladder
- many enemies can use them as well and chase you

Bloodborne and DS3 crucially omitted the sprinting part, you do ascend a little quicker by holding the sprint button, but it's so much slower than DS2's fast ascent.

Demon's Souls (original, dunno yet about remake) had absolutely garbage ladders though, with an insanely slow climbing speed up AND down and no way to speed it up, jump off or anything :v:.

I laughed the first time I sprinted up a ladder. The animation is so goofy

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Simply Simon posted:

The ladders suck in the DS remake too. You can hold run to climb and descend slightly faster but that's it.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

That is loving hilarious

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

Bussamove posted:

There’s two things I remember about Enchanted Arms: One is the protagonists travel being blocked by a rockslide and him angrily turning to the party member who convinced him to go with her and blaming her for it.

The other is of course Pizza Golem.

I totally forgot about this guy

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

Necrothatcher posted:

The ladders suck in the DS remake too. You can hold run to climb and descend slightly faster but that's it.

You can slide down! It's just, uh, double-tap run iirc. In DS2 that's the "drop down" command :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

My Lovely Horse posted:

Yeah I'm sure it was in something pre-Valhalla. Nier Automata is a good bet, albeit for me only because out of those two it's the one I played. It might have been anything. MGSV, even?

N:A also lets you jump up while on ladders to climb them faster, which is great.

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

I've been playing Control, and while there's a lot to like about it, the specific thing I want to highlight is the protagonist's expressiveness. The game frequently does close-ups of her face during cutscenes, and they did a superb job of animating her. Lots of subtle expressiveness to her eyes and lips in particular; you can see her hesitation before saying things as she chews over her words, for example.

There were some terrible but also unintentionally hilarious misogynist redditor types ranting about how bad Jesse's face looked when the game released and how it was a super unrealistic face except they hadn't realised that she looks just like the actress but that's obviously not the standard of generic beauty they wanted in a game. It's a really good recreation of her, having seen the YT video where she gives a tour round the remedy HQ