Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:

No Wave posted:

This week's abyss buff is another stupid geo thing (deal dmg when your shield is hit). Isnt it fun to have the character banners, weapon banners, and abyss buffs monopolized by a single element for two months.

Do they change in the middle of the month? I thought the last two lasted the whole month.

Anyway, I kind of like having a buff that does almost nothing for me, so I know what my baseline is.

And at least it does nothing for Pyro.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Plenty of gachas have had level cap increases. FFBE went from like 80-100-120. Dragalia has level cap increases as part of the spiral system, but thats mostly a feature to power up powercrept units.

The AR system is built to keep scaling indefinitely, a person starting out wont be immediately inconvenienced aside from having to wait to get the AR they need to continue the story. Theres a good chance that the softcap we have right now might also act as a catchup mechanic for people joining in later, if they suddenly boost the AR exp you get from dailies and spending resin they might be able to get to AR50+ in two weeks, something that took months for most of us.

I've played both of those and if Genshin goes that route I'll probably quit. :shrug:

Ashenai
Oct 5, 2005

You taught me language;
and my profit on't
Is, I know how to curse.

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Plenty of gachas have had level cap increases. FFBE went from like 80-100-120. Dragalia has level cap increases as part of the spiral system, but thats mostly a feature to power up powercrept units.

The AR system is built to keep scaling indefinitely, a person starting out wont be immediately inconvenienced aside from having to wait to get the AR they need to continue the story. Theres a good chance that the softcap we have right now might also act as a catchup mechanic for people joining in later, if they suddenly boost the AR exp you get from dailies and spending resin they might be able to get to AR50+ in two weeks, something that took months for most of us.

It took Honkai Impact 3 two years to increase its level cap... from 80 to 85. It doesn't seem like mihoyo is interested in going crazy with that.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

The only other gacha I play is FFRK where for sources of power other than gacha they normally kind of trickle it in at first then later end up spraying enough resources at you that you don't really need to worry about running out

YES bread
Jun 16, 2006
GBF uses 5* uncaps to bring powercrept units up to current meta or as soft reworks, and it tends to work out pretty well. the current level cap being 90, I would not be surprised at all if an additional tier of ascensions were planned for somewhere in the far future.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

YES bread posted:

GBF uses 5* uncaps to bring powercrept units up to current meta or as soft reworks, and it tends to work out pretty well. the current level cap being 90, I would not be surprised at all if an additional tier of ascensions were planned for somewhere in the far future.

FGO also does massive rebalances where launch units are quite literally the best units again.

I wouldn't be surprised if Mihoyo uses continuing stories of character quests as excuses for "Power-ups" like Childe finally learning to use his bow or Zhong regaining his powers if you beat a certain portion of the main story years from now.

YES bread
Jun 16, 2006
Childe's final ascension is unlocked when he masters the use of chopsticks

Ashenai
Oct 5, 2005

You taught me language;
and my profit on't
Is, I know how to curse.

Tae posted:

FGO also does massive rebalances where launch units are quite literally the best units again.

I wouldn't be surprised if Mihoyo uses continuing stories of character quests as excuses for "Power-ups" like Childe finally learning to use his bow or Zhong regaining his powers if you beat a certain portion of the main story years from now.

Amber passing her gliding exam for the 16th time and not having her license immediately revoked again

AParadox
Jan 7, 2012
Finally managed to 9 start floors 9-11 and get 6 stars on floor 12, just 5 hours before reset.

The teams that carried me throughout most of the floors are venti xiangling childe jean and ning fish mona bennet. Had to reset several runs after getting 3 stars on first two chambers to swap in a lvl 20 keya to deal with electro shielded fatui.

Getting 3 stars on floor 12 chamber 1 was such a nightmare and took so many restarts that I honestly skip it until I get another pyro character, It's not worth the 50 primogems. I really hope the layout and enemy compositions will start to change eventually because right now I'm really tired of chasing cryoslymes. But considering they about to release several more cryo enemies, any new abyss iteration will be even more favorable to pyro...

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Just release Alice already so we can have two generations of explosion gremlins decimating floor 12.

King of Bleh
Mar 3, 2007

A kingdom of rats.

No Wave posted:

This week's abyss buff is another stupid geo thing (deal dmg when your shield is hit). Isnt it fun to have the character banners, weapon banners, and abyss buffs monopolized by a single element for two months.

Stop trying to make "Geo" happen, Mihoyo!

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

King of Bleh posted:

Stop trying to make "Geo" happen, Mihoyo!

I mean, please try to make Geo happen, but like everywhere

Arleneth
Apr 28, 2010
I am half expecting Alice to show up as a Harbinger, thus leading to a "What if Klee, but as a boss fight?" situation.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
Another way gachas can add grind is alternate progression systems. Everyone starts off on the same footing because the mechanic never existed before, so no possibility of stockpiling materials, etc. Just make the power level granted by the new progression somewhat ahead of the curve of existing progression so everyone feels like they have to do it to catch up while new players get eased into it and thus a higher baseline of power than people who leveled up when the mechanic didn't exist.

Don't know if Mihoyo has done this or ever would do this, but it is another way they can maintain longevity without leaving people hopelessly behind. It'll suck, but that's not the reason they'd do it.

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HxTpkDtzkOU

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
i got childe with favonius bow and keqing with lions roar. would the bp sword or bow be a better investment, as these are my two main carries?

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Favonious Bow is much worse for Tartaglia than Lion's Roar is for Keqing. If you plan on picking up BP sword in another BP later I'd go for the bow, it solves the bigger problem right now. The only complicating factor is the sword is somewhat better in a vacuum, meaning it is likely to take longer to power creep (though both should be good for quite a while).

No Wave fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Dec 16, 2020

Jerry Seinfeld
Mar 30, 2009

No Wave posted:

the sword is somewhat better in a vacuum

but the bow IS a vacuum

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
black sword is great always but if you have to choose between it and something else, let me ask: do you have two good healers? if not, black sword can carry keqing in abyss in your healer-less team.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
I have black sword on Keqing and I could never make it through floor 10/11/12 without a healer unless I was crazy overleveled. There's just no way. Healers are op af in this game, you need them (unless you're a speedrunner... and even they run jean/bennett).

No Wave fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Dec 16, 2020

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

Ok, so hear me out. Cryo set could be as good as Kaeya or better on Anemo MC:
  • Chongyun to covert their autoattacks, naturally
  • Opens up a second slot for a different Cryo to enable resonance, like Diona or Qiqi
  • A1 passive helps make up for worse scaling on attack talent
  • MC has a higher ATK ceiling due to ascension stat being ATK% vs ER, but still gains ER through C2
  • Both skill and burst benefit from DMG boost if they absorb Cryo
  • Constellations are much easier to acquire than Kaeya, and C6 mitigates the need for VV
Whereas, with Kaeya, you're probably already running CY/XQ, leaving only one flex slot. If you want VV and healing, it has to be Jean, and VV is kind of awkward to use with her.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
I think the logic behind Kaeya is he fills in all the gaps that Chongyun leaves. Traveler is going to have issues with Freeze uptime. It's not the worst idea or anything, though, as long as they have a Cryo cup.

Ultiville
Jan 14, 2005

The law protects no one unless it binds everyone, binds no one unless it protects everyone.

Nakar posted:

Another way gachas can add grind is alternate progression systems. Everyone starts off on the same footing because the mechanic never existed before, so no possibility of stockpiling materials, etc. Just make the power level granted by the new progression somewhat ahead of the curve of existing progression so everyone feels like they have to do it to catch up while new players get eased into it and thus a higher baseline of power than people who leveled up when the mechanic didn't exist.

Don't know if Mihoyo has done this or ever would do this, but it is another way they can maintain longevity without leaving people hopelessly behind. It'll suck, but that's not the reason they'd do it.

It's also currently not important to grind much to see any of the actual exploring or story content, which is presumably what a lot of people like, it's more there to keep people logging in between story patches if they're into that. So since there's no PvP or anything there's not a huge "falling behind" concern since if your WL is going up, you're getting stuff to make you stronger, and if it's not, you don't need to be to engage the way you like.

Of course that could change, but for now it feels like the number-go-up stuff is really grindy, but also only important if you care deeply about number going up, and not if you just care about checking out the cool world.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Which is how FGO does it. There's nothing that requires more than basic 3 stars, but it's still the most profitable gacha for the last half decade because of character writing.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

Pro-tip for those who do artifact runs or check for the Wei on top of Stone Gate:

https://i.imgur.com/N7O25wW.mp4
Getting the one to the east is still kind of annoying (less so you have Venti and Zhongli :smug:), but if you don't mind a little climbing then it can free up your portable waypoint for other spots like crab island.

MrMel
May 12, 2011
Are we still bragging about artifacts

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

gandlethorpe posted:

Pro-tip for those who do artifact runs or check for the Wei on top of Stone Gate:

https://i.imgur.com/N7O25wW.mp4
Getting the one to the east is still kind of annoying (less so you have Venti and Zhongli :smug:), but if you don't mind a little climbing then it can free up your portable waypoint for other spots like crab island.

My thoughts watching this: "Hey, you should really go open that chest that just showed up on your- Oh, it's a leyline that you're deliberately leaving untapped."

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

it would be nice if everyone got this special pressure plate imo

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

MrMel posted:

Are we still bragging about artifacts

Biggus Dickus over here god drat

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

dogsicle posted:

it would be nice if everyone got this special pressure plate imo

I used to have it and then it disappeared. No idea when or why. I honestly had started doubting my memory until that gif.

Still kinda do. I feel like if I logged in and checked it would be there.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Log082 posted:

I used to have it and then it disappeared. No idea when or why. I honestly had started doubting my memory until that gif.

Still kinda do. I feel like if I logged in and checked it would be there.

I don't really understand. I know I've used it twice, but it seems to disappear for a while...

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

Oh, apparently it only shows up if there's a ley line. RIP

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

my leylines never seem to move from their designated respawns even if i start clearing them so rip to ever reliably getting that lol

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

I finally got a Fire Witch Hourglass.

It's pretty good.

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

:obama:My first car was a stick:obama:

dogsicle posted:

my leylines never seem to move from their designated respawns even if i start clearing them so rip to ever reliably getting that lol

Mine used to show up in different places but they haven't moved for like a month

zgrowler2
Oct 29, 2011

HOW DOES THE IPHONE APP WORK?? I WILL SPAM ENDLESSLY EVERYWHERE AND DISREGARD ANY REPLIES

YoshiOfYellow posted:

It's pretty good.

holy poo poo

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD

YoshiOfYellow posted:

It's pretty good.

now u have to roll it to 20 so you get that %HP with the last improvement

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug
is bennet c6 (...normal, charging and falling attacks now do pyro damage) a trap? it looks like a trap. i dont want keqing to do pyro damage, i want her to do electro damage

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

Yeah don't do it.

They should really add a way to switch constellations on and off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug
cool i love red exclamation marks for ever