Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

I actually used of these until like 2010. The scroll button was good!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

luminalflux posted:

Best coffee I had when was at Pivotal, where they supplied us with 4 Baratza grinders, 8 pourover stations and let us expense a reasonable amount of beans per week.

Worst experience was at a NOC, where they had a pretty good WMF 1500 loaded with Illy beans for espresso. Except they shut it off at the end of the working day for cleaning and the night shift NOC operators had to make do with a frozen concentrate machine.

My current coffee status is they give us a bunn drip machine with vacuum bottle urns. The coffee doesn't turn into sludge so that's a plus, but the downside is the coffee is some Green Mountain garbage that tastes slightly better than burnt Folgers.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

DelphiAegis posted:

If and when company can visit again I might genuinely look into this. On a scale of 1-10 how absurdly difficult is this to set up?

I’m not sure if 1 is easy or ten is easy.

So if you can go to a web site, enter in a few things, select a few things and click print, you’ll have a QR code in five minutes or less.

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday

DelphiAegis posted:

If and when company can visit again I might genuinely look into this. On a scale of 1-10 how absurdly difficult is this to set up?

I work in IT adjacent fields so I'm not as computer touchery as you lot. :(

To clarify what others have said, you don't have to change anything in your wireless infrastructure at all. The only thing you're doing is basically encoding "SSID: XXXX, PASSWORD: XXXX" in a way phones understand. Phones will read the QR code, look for the SSID, and try to connect with the password.

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

The pirate code is really more of a guideline, than actual rules.

God, shut up about coffee.

Back when i used to work for a small company writing websites for realtors, one by one they started asking for QR code functionality to add to the FOR SALE boards that linked to online listings. They all seemed to purely want it because other realtors had it, not because customers asked for it.

The QR codes hardly got any traffic at all, as expected. As in, at some point they broke, and nobody noticed for at least 4 months.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
Anyone here have an Azure background but uncertain about Azure's future in your company, so you picked up an AWS cert and some home lab projects/working with AWS teams? I'm feeling that we're the redheaded cloud stepchild and figured I could hedge against the future with the AWS sysops cert, but I wasn't sure if it was better to focus on one and stick with it vs. diversify.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

MJP posted:

Anyone here have an Azure background but uncertain about Azure's future in your company, so you picked up an AWS cert and some home lab projects/working with AWS teams? I'm feeling that we're the redheaded cloud stepchild and figured I could hedge against the future with the AWS sysops cert, but I wasn't sure if it was better to focus on one and stick with it vs. diversify.

mood but GCP

except at least you know microsoft will support Azure for the foreseeable future

as for certs, diversity is strength. i like knowing a little about a lot of things. If and when you need to do a deep dive, you'll have the context to make it not so scary.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

I just doubled down on Azure and got a job doing cloud automation stuff at a larger enterprise

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"
Azure skills are insanely hot right now

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

MJP posted:

Azure is a rolling unstoppable behemoth right now, and its growth is huge. I don't think it's going anywhere unless your company is really, REALLY mad at it.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
Oh yeah, my company is one of those big slow vital dinosaurs. AWS is the vast, vast majority and the Chief Cloud Officer or whatever is pretty adamant that while we're committed to multi-cloud, and it's whichever cloud fits the business' needs, nothing new goes into Azure unless there's a very good reason to not be on AWS.

I'm trying to stick it out here for four more years since my resume is extremely job-jumpy, and I want to get better at sticking out less than perfect jobs, or maybe see if this place is for the long haul. The money kicks rear end and I can keep a strict 8-4 schedule even if it's a bureaucracy the likes of which Byzantium would be jealous.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED
Is there a good reason to go multi cloud, or at least enough of one to offset the negatives like "takes more people to operate," "subtle configuration differences that will trip people up," and "relatively huge fees for data going in or out of their own cloud?" I'm not even close to being an expert in any of the major platforms (and I'm a developer besides, so I've only limited experience actually operating services in AWS), but so far in my career I've only heard what I interpret as bad arguments. Like being discouraged from developing in native AWS services like Lambda because "it'll lock us in to one provider." This after we spend 6 months getting all the identity management and VPC and whatever other configuration set up. Motherfucker we're already locked in.

The equation probably changes significantly at "tens of thousands of employees" compared to like, 50.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Che Delilas posted:

Is there a good reason to go multi cloud, or at least enough of one to offset the negatives like "takes more people to operate," "subtle configuration differences that will trip people up," and "relatively huge fees for data going in or out of their own cloud?" I'm not even close to being an expert in any of the major platforms (and I'm a developer besides, so I've only limited experience actually operating services in AWS), but so far in my career I've only heard what I interpret as bad arguments. Like being discouraged from developing in native AWS services like Lambda because "it'll lock us in to one provider." This after we spend 6 months getting all the identity management and VPC and whatever other configuration set up. Motherfucker we're already locked in.

The equation probably changes significantly at "tens of thousands of employees" compared to like, 50.

how much work has to be redone if amazon decides to do something that screws over your country tomorrow?

or at least thats the answer for alot of companies for why not to develop in the native services. Its like renting to programing language you write your code in

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"
If you’re mega huge there is a good chance you’re multi cloud already. And if you’re big enough it’s easy to get leverage on pricing between the cloud providers right now, which means you can be incentivized to stay rather than move cause it’s easier that way.

I was talking to a company called Morpheus at a DevOps conference a few years ago and they were/are making a product that would allow for ‘seamlessly’ moving workloads around. But there was also a TON of onboarding they needed to do to get it to work. The idea was to use their product instead of interacting directly with cloud providers so you could easily move workloads based on price/availability/etc.. Seems interesting and like a good idea in the abstract but I could see what MS/Amazon/Google might not want that to be happening easily. It’s taking the service aspect of the cloud platforms and commodifying the entire idea even further.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

And if the aim of going multi-cloud is to avoid your engineering team only knowing how to code for one platform, then putting something in front of that doesn't really solve the problem.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
My company regularly demonstrates to our TAMs that we are not vendor locked in and it gives us fat discounts.

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

i am a moron posted:

I was talking to a company called Morpheus at a DevOps conference a few years ago and they were/are making a product that would allow for ‘seamlessly’ moving workloads around. But there was also a TON of onboarding they needed to do to get it to work. The idea was to use their product instead of interacting directly with cloud providers so you could easily move workloads based on price/availability/etc.. Seems interesting and like a good idea in the abstract but I could see what MS/Amazon/Google might not want that to be happening easily. It’s taking the service aspect of the cloud platforms and commodifying the entire idea even further.

There’s a few PaaS out there that abstracts away the cloud providers. I worked on CloudFoundry which was basically sold as “Heroku for on-prem VMware clusters”. It works really well but to be portable across IaaS you can’t use stuff like RDS, PubSub or BigTable. It’s also integrates real well with Spring Boot since the same company also maintains Spring.

Fortune 500s love that poo poo and love being able to migrate workloads from their DC to the cloud. We migrated Pivotal Tracker from one IaaS to another (one was AWS, I forget the other one and in which direction) in 18 minutes due to how well it abstracts. In the end almost all customers would just run in VMware in their DC and maybe have a lab setup on a cloud provider.

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

Ah gently caress your post just reminded me I killed a Cisco Cloud Center deployment like 15 months ago and now I’m mad about it all over again

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

Methanar posted:

My company regularly demonstrates to our TAMs that we are not vendor locked in and it gives us fat discounts.

Psssst. AWS gives fat discounts to customers locked to it as well.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

Che Delilas posted:

It's concerning how often Azure forgets how to DNS or lets their certs lapse in the middle of a Azure-focused dev conference. That's enough for me.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

hell yeah slack's dead

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
The only slacks I’m in are ones I use to distract myself at work. My office runs on google hangouts and horrible email threads. :negative:

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

First work day after New Year's is always a crapshoot of expired licenses buried deep within infrastructure

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Data Graham posted:

First work day after New Year's is always a crapshoot of expired licenses buried deep within infrastructure

Its my first day of a new job! :yotj:

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

RFC2324 posted:

Its my first day of a new job! :yotj:

Congrats!

What are the chances they have all your access situated on Day 1?

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Hughmoris posted:

Congrats!

What are the chances they have all your access situated on Day 1?

They do but my actual laptop is lost, because FedEx is denying that my address exists

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

There was an actual thing over my access because I waited to tell them I am trans and prefer a different name til I felt sure I had the job lol

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008

RFC2324 posted:

There was an actual thing over my access because I waited to tell them I am trans and prefer a different name til I felt sure I had the job lol

It seems like asking for a prefered name should come before setting up stuff. It's not just a trans issue, like the formal name people use on their resume isn't the name they go by IRL. My current job set up my payroll and insurance with my nickname initially. I guess they didn't realize?

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Wouldn't at all surprise me that someone doesn't feel :100: about saying during the document signing stage "Oh hey can we use this different name" and them saying "Whoa hold up, what's all this now??" and it suddenly getting real awkward at the most uneven-power-dynamic part of the process

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Guy Axlerod posted:

It seems like asking for a prefered name should come before setting up stuff. It's not just a trans issue, like the formal name people use on their resume isn't the name they go by IRL. My current job set up my payroll and insurance with my nickname initially. I guess they didn't realize?

I hid it prior to that out of fear of discrimination.

I am making roughly 70% of what I made at my last job when I presented as a man, so I guess there is some validation there :negative:

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Wtf, that’s some goddam bullshit

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]

RFC2324 posted:

I hid it prior to that out of fear of discrimination.

I am making roughly 70% of what I made at my last job when I presented as a man, so I guess there is some validation there :negative:

What position? Did you change cities or something?

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
My user account was deactivated over my holiday break, along with several(dozen, hundred, no idea) other accounts apparently. And the portal that managers have to use to reactivate users broke under the strain.

I'm just sitting here eating popcorn in pure awe waiting to get access again and very grateful it's not on me anymore.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Woof Blitzer posted:

What position? Did you change cities or something?

lovely sysadmin position with a hosting company. Remote, based in VA. I have friends their already, but they were friends from before I figured myself out. I'm actually fairly confident it won't be an issue.

However, my own bullshit prevents me from not assuming people are going to be nice to my face and stab me in the back, so I try to protect myself during vulnerable times like job hunts.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Completely understandable.

Our fascination with stuff like names being immutable is beyond dumb. Even back in the day, I remember arguing with my boss that hey, maybe that person that got divorced and changed their last name doesn't want to type in their old last name every day to log into the computer.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

They were actually super cool, with the closest thing to pushback being the department director sighing extravagantly over having to tell security to fix it before my start date.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

That's good. Maybe we are making progress, inch by inch. :unsmith:

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Internet Explorer posted:

That's good. Maybe we are making progress, inch by inch. :unsmith:

Yeah. Tech is the place to be tho, the Geek Social Fallacies can be used for good sometimes.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

I am involved with a significant number of acquisitions and it is infuriating to me how many people have to jump thru stupid hoops because the HR system is only set up for legal names (which are usually out of date at the acquired company) and we have to move heaven and earth to get them updated to what they are actually going by. It's just maddening.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

kensei posted:

I am involved with a significant number of acquisitions and it is infuriating to me how many people have to jump thru stupid hoops because the HR system is only set up for legal names (which are usually out of date at the acquired company) and we have to move heaven and earth to get them updated to what they are actually going by. It's just maddening.

HR having to deal in legal names makes sense, tho. My HR paperwork was half legal name(because they have to cut a check to my legal identity, and pay taxes for me under that name) and half preferred name so there is a link they can follow to my accounts and stuff that people see.

Gonna tell you, the fact that exactly one letter has changed on my account names is gonna gently caress with me, lol