Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Junkozeyne posted:

RotJ Yoda:
"Once you start down the dark path, forever will it dominate your destiny."
and it does, even after redeeming vader luke turns towards the darkness trying to preserve his life the same way palpatine had, and has to be convinced by vader to let go of his attachments

Junkozeyne posted:

RotJ Obi-Wan when Luke teils him there is good in Vader:
"He's more machine now than man. Twisted and evil."
Luke says he can't kill his father:
"Then the Emperor has already won. You were our only hope."

Luke believes during the movie that Vader can be saved. He even mentions this directly to Vader when he surrenders to him. He only starts to believe this after the revelation who is behind the mask, a fact he only learned because he defied the Jedi in Empire.

The Jedi do not believe that Vader can still be redeemed. Luke is right and they are wrong.

i mean by "the jedi" you're only quoting obi-wan, the dude who already hardened his heart and tried to kill him once

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Do any EU books or whatever go into what happened after Jabbas yacht was blown up? Did another hutt take over his criminal empire? Did Jawas move into his house?

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I hope those brain spider monks took it bavk over. Tales from Jabba's Palace was the poo poo when I was 12.

BiggestBatman
Aug 23, 2018

banned from Starbucks posted:

Do any EU books or whatever go into what happened after Jabbas yacht was blown up? Did another hutt take over his criminal empire? Did Jawas move into his house?

It got abandoned and luke and han eventually went back to it in darksaber. One of the best of the star wars novels, bro. Highly recommended

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Darksaber is loving hilarious between the imperial scientist who kept getting killed and resurrected by the emperor, Revenge of the Yetis, and the main plot going full Indiana Jones by way of the titular Darksaber superweapon being a cheaply made, shoddy piece of poo poo that blows itself up the first time its used without any assistance from the heroes

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Don’t they literally install the laser backwards because someone read the blueprint wrong and that’s why it blows up?

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

P excited for the obi-wan vader fight during the tv show so it can be transposed into ANH and have a proper clash.

Maybe the reason the ANH fight is so lame is because just last week they fought and they both have DOMS

Dysgenesis
Jul 12, 2012

HAVE AT THEE!

George H.W. oval office posted:

P excited for the obi-wan vader fight during the tv show so it can be transposed into ANH and have a proper clash.

Maybe the reason the ANH fight is so lame is because just last week they fought and they both have DOMS

Obligatory https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=to2SMng4u1k

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late

George H.W. oval office posted:

Obi-Wan and Vader fight every week and that's why Vader is so confident he's on the Death Star. It wasn't about sensing him, it was just that Obi-Wan never missed their Tuesday fight appointment no matter where Vader was.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
Vader didn't track Leia's ship to Tatooine, he just happened to be headed that way for the catchup fight

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

2house2fly posted:

Vader didn't track Leia's ship to Tatooine, he just happened to be headed that way for the catchup fight

"He always said there'd be a fight where he'd retract his saber and let me kill him but I never thought he'd actually do it."

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!
So I heard somewhere recently that Timothy Zahn offered to write the Disney Sequel Trilogy but got turned away, any truth to that?

quote:

I remember when the Prequels were coming out the interpretations of the OT lightsaber battles were that you had an immensely crippled and robotic dark lord, a super old and out of shape mentor, and a youth without a ton of traditional training, which meant that all of them were improvising/not fighting at their best. Darth Vader's connection with the force and control over his body was impaired by his cybernetics; Obi-wan was just really old and out of shape from hiding as a hermit, and Luke hadn't had any proper masters to teach him for years on how to fight with a lightsaber.

Then the prequels showed us what Jedi in their prime (or twilight) could fight like.

I always liked that interpretation.

Crazy Joe Wilson fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Dec 16, 2020

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

That was also the reasoning that Lucas and stunt coordinator Nick Gillard used when devising the Jedi fighting style for Episode I, though it doesn't really hold water in the later prequels when Yoda and Grievous start fighting under similar conditions.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Rebels reversed all that silly bullshit and said that masters post the prequel era figured out to stop doing the nonsense and just restrict everything to a battle of minds and wills. Also why the Rebels Obi Wan/Maul fight is possibly the best lightsaber fight in the series for the 5 seconds it lasts. It fits right in with Vader/Obi Wan and the changes in the sequels too, and is a rejection of the old Order as opposed to people who actually grew.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Robot Style posted:

That was also the reasoning that Lucas and stunt coordinator Nick Gillard used when devising the Jedi fighting style for Episode I, though it doesn't really hold water in the later prequels when Yoda and Grievous start fighting under similar conditions.

The yoda and dooku fight was a gigantic lack of imagination, huge letdown

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Rewatching the Dooku Ani/obi/yoda fight for the first time in years. Don't think I remember hearing anakins scream as he got zapped by dooku, and I dont remember his digital head replacement being so obvious

e: I like the whole fight more now than I ever did. I love how dooku isn't trying to sell them anything, just trying to toy with them a bit before getting rid of them. The slow learner line is the closest hayden ever gets to a vadery quip I suppose

Ingmar terdman fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Dec 16, 2020

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

The lack of imagination was the point- two basically deluded characters unleashing their own gratuitous lack of vision on each other. Does the brilliance ever end

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is

Darko posted:

Rebels reversed all that silly bullshit and said that masters post the prequel era figured out to stop doing the nonsense and just restrict everything to a battle of minds and wills.

"actually, it's good that the fight choreography sucks"

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Sweet backflips and spinning (a good trick) and the generally more frenetic nature of swordfighting in the late Republic not only reflect that the Jedi are at the height of their powers, but also indicate just what exactly they think power is. An orthodox Jedi under the leadership of Yoda and Mace Windu learns extremely difficult moves and executes them with overwhelming speed and aggression in order to wear down their opponent's guard, or simply cut them down without hesitation. But Darth Sidious and his lackeys could almost always beat them at their own game, fighting that way.

Obi-Wan always had an aesthetic appreciation for elegance, and throughout his life, his most important victories were decided in a single stroke after simply biding his time until he was in the right position. He did grow wiser in the desert, but he also grew nostalgic, narrowing the story of his life just to those decisive moments and paring everything else away.

Anakin's iron lung simply can't move the way his flesh body did, nor the way a droid can. A talent like his can compensate by learning a new style, but he has learned enough to use caution against a master, especially a tricky one like Obi-Wan.

Luke learned from Yoda, and although it is unrefined, his fighting style is very acrobatic.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Bongo Bill posted:

Sweet backflips and spinning (a good trick) and the generally more frenetic nature of swordfighting in the late Republic not only reflect that the Jedi are at the height of their powers, but also indicate just what exactly they think power is. An orthodox Jedi under the leadership of Yoda and Mace Windu learns extremely difficult moves and executes them with overwhelming speed and aggression in order to wear down their opponent's guard, or simply cut them down without hesitation. But Darth Sidious and his lackeys could almost always beat them at their own game, fighting that way.

Obi-Wan always had an aesthetic appreciation for elegance, and throughout his life, his most important victories were decided in a single stroke after simply biding his time until he was in the right position. He did grow wiser in the desert, but he also grew nostalgic, narrowing the story of his life just to those decisive moments and paring everything else away.

Anakin's iron lung simply can't move the way his flesh body did, nor the way a droid can. A talent like his can compensate by learning a new style, but he has learned enough to use caution against a master, especially a tricky one like Obi-Wan.

Luke learned from Yoda, and although it is unrefined, his fighting style is very acrobatic.

There's also that martial skills become martial arts as a civilisation moves into a richer, more decadent phase. Consider the fetishisation of the samurai sword, which overwhelmingly happened after the wars of the samurai were over. The code of the samurai was written by a guy born 60 years after the last major samurai battle. When they were fighting, the samurai used everything else before their swords: guns, spears, bows, halberds, axes, whatever.

Maybe earlier jedi were just warriors, who used whatever did the job best. Then, as time goes on, they focus more and more on their lightsabers, to the exclusion of everything else.

Asgerd
May 6, 2012

I worked up a powerful loneliness in my massive bed, in the massive dark.
Grimey Drawer

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A VHS INTO THE SLOT. ITS REVENGE OF THE SITH AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I START DOING THE MOVES ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ANAKIN. I DO EVERY MOVE AND I DO EVERY MOVE HARD. MAKIN ZOOMING SOUNDS WHEN I SLAM DOWN SOME JEDI SCUM OR EVEN WHEN I MESS UP TECHNIQUE. NOT MANY CAN SAY THEY ESCAPED THE JEDI'S DOGMATIC CONSTRAINTS, I CAN. I SAY IT AND I SAY IT OUTLOUD EVERYDAY TO PEOPLE IN MY COLLEGE CLASS AND ALL THEY DO IS PROVE PEOPLE IN COLLEGE CLASS CAN STILL BE IMMATURE JERKS. AND IVE LEARNED ALL THE LINES AND IVE LEARNED HOW TO MAKE MYSELF AND MY APARTMENT LESS LONELY BY SHOUTING EM ALL. 2 HOURS INCLUDING WIND DOWN EVERY MORNING. THEN I LIFT

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
The apex of martial skill. Two ultimate warriors at the height of their power.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
It's interesting that it's actually a really standard martial arts cliche (two closely matched masters winding up their next strike at the same time) yet either people miss that or just prefer to laugh at the gif. The latter is pretty understandable.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

ungulateman posted:

"actually, it's good that the fight choreography sucks"

The Rebels fight is choreographed very well, actually, and says a ton in its five seconds about characters progressing as opposed to being stuck in the past.

Obi Wan/Vader is just classic old masters going at it stuff that is still a better looking lightsaber fight than Dooku vs. Obi/Anakin. And it does tell a story, mainly because Guinness is selling it with his facial expressions.

Vader/Luke 1 is possibly the best in the series just due to how it frames and evolves. Its very close to Maul/Obi Wan final.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Snowman_McK posted:

It's interesting that it's actually a really standard martial arts cliche (two closely matched masters winding up their next strike at the same time) yet either people miss that or just prefer to laugh at the gif. The latter is pretty understandable.

Theyre also almost evenly matched precogs, so there's that, too.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
It's also got sort of a pro-wrestling thing, they're trying to psych each other out. At this point in the fight it's basically become a mirror match, they can anticipate each other's actions and match each other's blows, so they're getting just a little desperate.

Isometric Bacon
Jul 24, 2004

Let's get naked!

Maxwell Lord posted:

At this point in the fight it's basically become a mirror match, they can anticipate each other's actions and match each other's blows, so they're getting just a little desperate.

Yeah I didn't mind that bit for that reason exactly. It is pretty fast in the film and from memory, culminates a moment in the fight.

It's the rest of that fight that really bothers me. In a scene with some huge dramatic moments and great tragedy as these brothers bitterly fight to their death, there is Mario jumping on funky little robots and uncharted like videogame esque escalating scenes where the characters need to climb on ever changing environment that fall apart in a completely ridiculous and unbelievable manner

I also liked how in contrast to alot of the lame flashy poo poo from the prequels, Obi Wan defeats Grevious ridiculous spinning blades of death poo poo with deft and careful flicks of his wrist. That feels alot more Jedi to me.

Of course, that too is ruined by a unbelievable ridiculous OneWheel spinny car and lizard chase scene.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Isometric Bacon posted:

Of course, that too is ruined by a unbelievable ridiculous OneWheel spinny car and lizard chase scene.
"Let me ask you this. If Obi-Wan were riding a horse, not a lizard, would you put in a horse sound effect every three seconds?"
"No."
"Then WHY THE gently caress?"

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
I'm torn on Grievous' OneWheel. On the one hand, it's some Skeletor poo poo. On the other hand, it's some Skeletor poo poo, so who can really say it's bad...

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Isometric Bacon posted:

Yeah I didn't mind that bit for that reason exactly. It is pretty fast in the film and from memory, culminates a moment in the fight.

It's the rest of that fight that really bothers me. In a scene with some huge dramatic moments and great tragedy as these brothers bitterly fight to their death, there is Mario jumping on funky little robots and uncharted like videogame esque escalating scenes where the characters need to climb on ever changing environment that fall apart in a completely ridiculous and unbelievable manner

I also liked how in contrast to alot of the lame flashy poo poo from the prequels, Obi Wan defeats Grevious ridiculous spinning blades of death poo poo with deft and careful flicks of his wrist. That feels alot more Jedi to me.

The fight is great until they start going around on the lava platforms. Lucas is not good at directing platforming; the factory in Episode 2 was also really bad.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Payndz posted:

"Let me ask you this. If Obi-Wan were riding a horse, not a lizard, would you put in a horse sound effect every three seconds?"
"No."
"Then WHY THE gently caress?"

It's a cool sound effect. And a cool chase. I don't understand why it being weird and over the top is a bad thing in a space opera.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

That whole sequence rules and Obi-Wan shooting a dude in the heart then using the force to come up with an assholish bon mot kill quip is fantastic.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=shHkJVHFFAk

Just for reference. Not sure I'd call it a duel, per se. It's weirdly understated and sad.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

that fuckin sucked lol

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Yes Rebels does fuckin suck agreed

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

I assume the emotional payoff is tied up in however many seasons of buildup and combat, is the point of the series that Maul is completely misguided and wasting his time, such that he eventually heads out into the desert to be put down by an old man he couldn't beat years ago and now can't even go toe-to-toe with?

Unrelatedly, from the comments:

quote:

Obi-wan has to be one of the most morally pure characters in Star Wars.
:laffo:

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

ILM has a neat little Exegol expose

Which has shining gems like

quote:

"To create the battle, the artists referenced historical conflicts like Pearl Harbor and Midway. Footage from WWII military tactics were analyzed and interpreted to visualise the aerial clash between factions."
Ya know, something that doesn't exist because they instead wanted to focus on the Jedi/Sith conflict

Exegol also originally had a sunset aesthetic, but they didn't think it was intimidating so they went with the good ol' "obscure everything with smoke and ash" approach instead - although they claimed they tuned it so as to not lose visibility

...again, none of which matters due to how little of the conflict we actually get to see

Man, imagine being the team that spent months designing something and then nobody gets to appreciate your hard work

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

this is just the two of them doing dumb flourishes to prove how cool they are to eachother, neither of them have been fighting to seriously kill the other at this point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Maxwell Lord posted:

It's a cool sound effect. And a cool chase. I don't understand why it being weird and over the top is a bad thing in a space opera.
It's SCREECH not SCREECH that SCREECH it's SCREECH weird SCREECH that's SCREECH the SCREECH probSCREECHlemSCREEEEEEEECH.

It's actually the aural equivalent of the trap that a lot of CG characters/creatures fall into: "It has to do something in every shot, or it'll look fake." [CG thing constantly fidgets and twitches and draws attention to itself]