Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Yeah, but that doesn't mean it'll work out any better than it did the last time - Dead Space 3 had more than a few systemic issues that would've had to have been there from the beginning. It doesn't bode well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I'm going to wait for more footage before I declare it creatively bankrupt because if a tie-in to another game with so little story and world building that it might as well have none.

Any way, here's a vid about why DS3 sucked

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XVJWYmfR8kU

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

phew, for a minute there i lost myself
The ship graveyard part of DS3 was pretty great. Shame about the rest, although I do wish I had tried the co-op mode

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
The co-op mode was legitimately the best thing about it. The way it hosed with you by having each player see completely different things at times was pretty inspired.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

el oso posted:

The ship graveyard part of DS3 was pretty great. Shame about the rest, although I do wish I had tried the co-op mode

Same and I would have loved a game that was entirely about exploring old wrecked spaceships

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

The openness of the first third of the game was really great. I loved floating around the ships and being able to tackle them however.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames

Blockhouse posted:

As long as the game is good it can be a tie-in to Battle Tetris Gaiden for all I care

If I can get some Rensa mode in my single player horror game, then that would be a bonus, frankly.

Bogart fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Dec 13, 2020

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

We're announcing that our new game will be taking place in the Hatred Cinematic Universe, thank you and goodnight.

Eox
Jun 20, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
After so many iterations of "100 shitheads airdrop onto an island", I'll take the possibility of "100 shitheads escape from a monster-filled prison"

CommunityEdition
May 1, 2009

Eox posted:

After so many iterations of "100 shitheads airdrop onto an island", I'll take the possibility of "100 shitheads escape from a monster-filled prison"

That’s just a rogue like though

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Also like a rogue-like, it sounds awful.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

If they are going for spooky scary serious PUBG then I look forward to hearing the in universe justification for why a bunch of office middle managers are trying to beat each other to death with frying pans.

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

CuddleCryptid posted:

If they are going for spooky scary serious PUBG then I look forward to hearing the in universe justification for why a bunch of office middle managers are trying to beat each other to death with frying pans.

My experience with middle management types is that if you took a group of them, put them on a space colony and then told them "yo there's an outbreak only the strong survive", they'd immediately turn on each other.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

CuddleCryptid posted:

This actually already exists. They've been adding backstory to PUBG through outside media for a while. (Spoilers: it involves an evil billionare)

None of said story has anything to do with space monsters, or space at all really, which just makes the connection even more confusing.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Blockhouse posted:

This actually already exists. They've been adding backstory to PUBG through outside media for a while. (Spoilers: it involves an evil billionare)

None of said story has anything to do with space monsters, or space at all really, which just makes the connection even more confusing.

Ah yes, the not-Weyland-Yutani corporation, I was wondering where you scurred off to

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H6SKmGj_-f0
:laffo:
"That's what I want for you, to meet your true self. Will you embrace who you're meant to be?"
[DISCLAIMER: FINDING WHO YOU'RE MEANT TO BE MAY INVOLVE MURDERING 99 OTHER PEOPLE ON A DEATH ISLAND]

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

So I'm playing Murderhouse, and I'm wondering... what is it about these old lo-fidelity games like the ones of yore I grew up with that are just so effective? The sound design of the game is top notch but in the prologue, being in that empty mall was just unnerving as gently caress and I think it's partially because it's just so drat ugly. I guess when you leave details to the imagination your brain does a ton of work. I'm really liking this.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

sigher posted:

So I'm playing Murderhouse, and I'm wondering... what is it about these old lo-fidelity games like the ones of yore I grew up with that are just so effective? The sound design of the game is top notch but in the prologue, being in that empty mall was just unnerving as gently caress and I think it's partially because it's just so drat ugly. I guess when you leave details to the imagination your brain does a ton of work. I'm really liking this.

that's exactly it, yes

i've long believed that horror (outside of prose ofc) is primarily an aural medium because sound is far more adept at making your brain eat itself

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Horror is what happens when a hairless money sits awake in the dark of night and starts imagining monsters for all the horrible screeching sounds that echo through the forest. It's really just a deer mating call, but god help me if something that looks like a deer should sound anything like that in a sane world.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.
Sittin' around theorycrafting about horror games I'll never actually make.

But I'm totally imagining a two player game about being some kind've farmer on a farm while some kind've hosed up cryptid is trying to eat all the cattle, poison the water, burn the crops ect. Game takes places in a round structure of day and night where by day the cowboy can buy bullets and make traps and by night the monster who is a player tries to gently caress poo poo up. The farmer guy can pop the monster to put it in a 'pain state' where the player controlling it loses control and it flees to safety inhumanly quick, but it never actually dies... but this means the incentive for the monster is to stay outta sight on the margins like a fleeting shadow and try and get at the cowboys sweet crops and cattle. The money and resources the farmer guy has are tied to the overall 'health' of the farm so each time he has less cash, less bullets, less health recovered, less everything. Monster type and goal changes each night randomly so you never know what you need to defend specifically or what will be most effective.

Of course the game ends when the cowboy pulls the trigger and the gun goes click because he couldn't afford bullets and had no water or bandages left to cure his limp and he gets dragged away to die a gruesome death. Serves you right for building on an ancient indian burial ground or whatever rear end in a top hat.

but yeah making it so that a couple of blats from your revolver or whatever dismisses the monster over a distance means that you're only ever catching glimpses and fits of it rather than the whole 'doing a big dance is the middle of the road, wooee spooky monster, please take a really close look at my horrible legs' its more this lurking figure you need to find on this massive landscape where it could be potentially anywhere but every second you don't know where it is is a second its loving you over somehow.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Cardiovorax posted:

Horror is what happens when a hairless money sits awake in the dark of night and starts imagining monsters for all the horrible screeching sounds that echo through the forest. It's really just a deer mating call, but god help me if something that looks like a deer should sound anything like that in a sane world.

You ever hear a female cougar screaming? It sounds like a human being tortured, it's absolutely goddamned unnerving.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Pope Guilty posted:

You ever hear a female cougar screaming? It sounds like a human being tortured, it's absolutely goddamned unnerving.
Not yet, but I believe it sight unseen. I looked up what things like a foxes' yowl sound like on Youtube a while ago and you really wouldn't believe some of the sounds that come out of animals.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Cardiovorax posted:

It's really just a deer mating call, but god help me if something that looks like a deer should sound anything like that in a sane world.

This probably explains a spooky camping-out mystery for me and a friend that I've vaguely wondered about for the last 20 years or so :ms:

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Captain Hygiene posted:

This probably explains a spooky camping-out mystery for me and a friend that I've vaguely wondered about for the last 20 years or so :ms:
It probably does. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Af2pGVeWDVg

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

God that's creepy. I think that was it, I always filed it away as it having to be a raccoon or possum or something, but it never felt quite right because it sounded bigger. Bigger predators were either nonexistent or vanishingly rare there so I never figured out what else it could be.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eaXmIPHrHmY

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

God, I always love that video. ":byodood: aaaaaAAAAAAAAAAaaAAaahh!"

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.

Pope Guilty posted:

Well poo poo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UE7YOJVSoIs

al-azad
May 28, 2009

HEEEEEEY! I'M HORNY!! WHO WANTS TO gently caress?!?!

Pretty positive all cryptids and monster sightings were just some drunk farmer who stumbled upon a baby owl at the same time an animal was making a mating call.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Comically enough, if it didn't say that it's a mountain lion call, I would've thought that to be a bird. It has that hooting quality, sounds weirdly like a forest dove.

al-azad posted:

And with the modern technology of dating websites, so can you!

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

al-azad posted:

Pretty positive all cryptids and monster sightings were just some drunk farmer who stumbled upon a baby owl at the same time an animal was making a mating call.

The Flatwoods monster is absolutely a barn owl, yes.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Baby owls make vultures look pretty, so I can believe that.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
Holy poo poo

https://twitter.com/redcandlegames/status/1339148313032060929?s=21

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.

That game made me legit ugly-cry.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
https://twitter.com/GOGcom/status/1339227388438306817

okay nevermind I guess

FruitPunchSamurai
Oct 20, 2010

It sucks that Devotion is stuck in limbo because of political issues. I can only assume a bunch of PRC defenders spoke out against it.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

I wasn't aware that the CCP was a gamer, do they like Apex

al-azad
May 28, 2009

This is legit censorship and is loving disgusting.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

al-azad posted:

This is legit censorship and is loving disgusting.

TBH the lie about why it is being pulled it almost as insulting as the actual censorship. Why not just say that loving Santa Claus took it away at that rate.

But no, they gotta get their market value, so CDPR is going to slam their dicks in a door for the tenth time this week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

CuddleCryptid posted:

I wasn't aware that the CCP was a gamer, do they like Apex

https://twitter.com/bighonkinburger/status/1339233615201226753?s=21