Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Breakfast Burrito
Aug 8, 2007

JBP posted:

Seems like a windup

He'll probably say it's a wind up at some point but it's also the man who was incredibly shocked and alarmed at a little sign in a bathroom to make trans people feel a little more comfortable so who knooooows

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Breakfast Burrito posted:

He'll probably say it's a wind up at some point but it's also the man who was incredibly shocked and alarmed at a little sign in a bathroom to make trans people feel a little more comfortable so who knooooows

I'm sure JBP will have some anecdotes from linguistic and historian friends explaining why "folks" actually is secret Nazi code now

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Homora Gaykemi posted:

I'm sure JBP will have some anecdotes from linguistic and historian friends explaining why "folks" actually is secret Nazi code now

That sounds more like your department.

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

JBP posted:

That sounds more like your department.

I wasn't the one that looked at a transphobe's op-ed and said "the example is bad, but the rhetoric is good"

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Homora Gaykemi posted:

I wasn't the one that looked at a transphobe's op-ed and said "the example is bad, but the rhetoric is good"

Nah that's not even remotely what I said :) Have a nice day.

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
"I wasn't saying the rhetoric was good, I was just saying it sounded true and my psychologist friends told me it was a real thing"

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
"My friend tells me kids pretend to be trannies as a fas, but they never let it get that far so this story repeating the same things I believe is obviously a fake. This isn't harmful at all"

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!
that's not even vaguely what JBP was saying.

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
I guess there's some rational cis understanding of "it doesn't sound like a made up story" after reading an article full of typical transphobic talking points that my tranny brain just can't understand so I'll have to take y'alls word for it

Homora Gaykemi fucked around with this message at 09:49 on Dec 15, 2020

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe
I think you should go back and actually read what he wrote, in the order he wrote it in, and take into consideration the posts he was replying to. You are biting the head off of someone who is very much on your side.

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

No man ever did me so much good, or enemy so much harm, but I repaid him with ENDLESS SHITPOSTING
if Chris Uhlmann thinks 'Volk' is a word of horrifying portent, just wait til he learns about the concept of 'Kollektivschuld'

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

:munch:

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!

Homora Gaykemi posted:

I guess there's some rational cis understanding of "it doesn't sound like a made up story" after reading an article full of typical transphobic talking points that my tranny brain just can't understand so I'll have to take y'alls word for it

the article (written by a lovely transphobic parent) seems like a true account of the feelings of a lovely transphobic parent? it's not an endorsement of the article.

nocturama
Dec 26, 2007

My first impression was that it was a made up story fwiw

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

nocturama posted:

My first impression was that it was a made up story fwiw

Fair enough. Reads like a pearl clutching Aussie mum that reads Fairfax and considers herself very open minded to me.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

JBP posted:

Fair enough. Reads like a pearl clutching Aussie mum that reads Fairfax and considers herself very open minded to me.

Those people lie and lie all the goddamn time.

hoiyes
May 17, 2007
I only have my child's best interests at heart, while I pen this anonymous transphobic letter that will surely be used as a stick to beat the current medical best practice for trans children and trans people and become a lightning rod for debate. It certainly will be shared widely around the LGBT community and my child will almost certainly read it and it contains enough personal detail that he will (rightly) suspect I am the author, perhaps even doxx me.

Yes, I am a real person.

Blamestorm
Aug 14, 2004

We LOL at death! Watch us LOL. Love the LOL.

This is basically just trolling. He knows it will spark outrage but he’s left enough room he can say it’s obviously a joke and the left has no sense of humor. At the same time he’s stoking his insane right wing base who take it more seriously, and reinforcing the message for the rest of people that Vic govt wastes its time on political correct style guides rather than doing work of substance, and the left wastes its time on meaningless outrage. Everyone plays into his hands then in response to the post through the comments. Only way to win with this kind of thing is not to play

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

hoiyes posted:

I only have my child's best interests at heart, while I pen this anonymous transphobic letter that will surely be used as a stick to beat the current medical best practice for trans children and trans people and become a lightning rod for debate. It certainly will be shared widely around the LGBT community and my child will almost certainly read it and it contains enough personal detail that he will (rightly) suspect I am the author, perhaps even doxx me.

Yes, I am a real person.

This sounds a million percent like a real person. Have you ever seen what mums post on the internet with a picture of themselves, their kids and their full name attached?

Like you're all looking for some kind of sinister false flag activist instead of accepting that "normal" people are very frequently absolutely hosed up.

E: it's impossible to verify the letter but it does smack of "I tried to be a chill, urbane Fairfax reader, but now that it's real and I've lost control of my kid's body I am making GBS threads myself over it and the mask is coming off." Could also be some pro troll striking a blow from his basement in Cobram Barooga

JBP fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Dec 16, 2020

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
A real person may have wrote that article but if it was it was specially selected and edited for it's incredibly volatile and incindiary nature by some Fairfax editor to be shown and given an audience. So what's the point in arguing about whether it was written by a real person or not? The intent AND outcomes are identical on behalf of Fairfax either way.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
Women speak out against controversial religious Sydney drug and alcohol rehabilitation centre the Healing House

What The gently caress Is This. Who the hell are the Magistrates sending women to an extremest religious cult for drug rehabilitation. I expect there's a lot worse happening there and a lot worse places doing it.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
I think the predominance of Alcoholics Anonymous normalising that sort of thing for addiction treatment is a very deep hole society has yet to dig itself out of.

We need evidence based recovery models, not this poo poo.

is that good
Apr 14, 2012
From trials in eg. Portugal, the evidence points to the need to provide for economic and material needs. If you're unwilling to do that, framing addiction as a personal and moral failure is how you hide the fact that it's a systemic and cultural one.

E: In summary, conservatives will attempt to block evidence-based drug abuse treatment, because it raises serious questions about the status-quo. Similar thing with a lot of other currently treatment-resistant mental health problems.

is that good fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Dec 16, 2020

Capt.Whorebags
Jan 10, 2005

hoiyes posted:

Yes, I am a real person.

As a mother, I....

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

Is there an easy to access/understand resource for parents of trans kids to use to educate themselves? I feel sorry for trans kids having to deal with lovely parents, and I don't envy well-meaning parents who want to do the best by their trans kids but are just muddling through and making things worse.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

bell jar posted:

Is there an easy to access/understand resource for parents of trans kids to use to educate themselves? I feel sorry for trans kids having to deal with lovely parents, and I don't envy well-meaning parents who want to do the best by their trans kids but are just muddling through and making things worse.
A lot of mothers get their information from parenting facebook groups which can be helpful from a support network point of view but very dangerous for actual advice on parenting

There is decent actual advice out there but you have to know about it to actually go looking for it

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Malcolm Turnbeug posted:

A real person may have wrote that article but if it was it was specially selected and edited for it's incredibly volatile and incindiary nature by some Fairfax editor to be shown and given an audience. So what's the point in arguing about whether it was written by a real person or not? The intent AND outcomes are identical on behalf of Fairfax either way.

There is no point it's just a forums convo. I do think it's moderately interesting to consider the source being a shithouse parent versus an agent provocateur.

bell jar posted:

Yeah see this is why the letter makes me sadder than if it was just some troll idiot or culture warrior. You've got enough on your plate then mum blows up twelve months in and writes to the paper or gets on FB to poo poo on you as a human being and poo poo on the people that want you to succeed and live your best life.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Allstone posted:

From trials in eg. Portugal, the evidence points to the need to provide for economic and material needs. If you're unwilling to do that, framing addiction as a personal and moral failure is how you hide the fact that it's a systemic and cultural one.

E: In summary, conservatives will attempt to block evidence-based drug abuse treatment, because it raises serious questions about the status-quo. Similar thing with a lot of other currently treatment-resistant mental health problems.

There was a study done a couple decades ago on Vietnam Vets and drug use.

Drug use in the Vietnam war was infamously widespread, with all the cornbred boys getting into dope and heroin and whatever else they could get a hold of to try and get through the nightmare of war.

But, what interested the researchers was what happened when these people returned home again. Conventional wisdom was that they would all keep using drugs and spiral out of control. And, in some specific cases, that's what they saw. But only when the soldiers had no solid network of family, friends and employment surrounding them.

Those who had such things almost universally stopped using drugs entirely. The conclusion was that with the stability and support of family and friends and a steady decent paying job, the soldiers no longer felt the need to use drugs to keep themselves sane.

And the conclusion from that is that the best drug treatment is supporting people and meeting their emotional and financial needs while dealing with whatever trauma threw them into addiction in the first place.

But, as we all know, punishment and cruelty rule the day in politics and anyone who dared stray from the "tough on crime" rhetoric would be quickly voted out of their job.

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
That show Addicted Australia on SBS was kind of interesting in that they did this multi pronged treatment with group therapy, detox, private sessions and pharmaceutical treatments working together. The thing that stood out though was that most of the patients reported some kind of trauma, that may have been addressed in therapy but not included in the show for obvious reasons. Makes you wonder how things like AA help anyone ever

Marslando
May 1, 2010

Megillah Gorilla posted:

There was a study done a couple decades ago on Vietnam Vets and drug use.

Drug use in the Vietnam war was infamously widespread, with all the cornbred boys getting into dope and heroin and whatever else they could get a hold of to try and get through the nightmare of war.

But, what interested the researchers was what happened when these people returned home again. Conventional wisdom was that they would all keep using drugs and spiral out of control. And, in some specific cases, that's what they saw. But only when the soldiers had no solid network of family, friends and employment surrounding them.

Those who had such things almost universally stopped using drugs entirely. The conclusion was that with the stability and support of family and friends and a steady decent paying job, the soldiers no longer felt the need to use drugs to keep themselves sane.

And the conclusion from that is that the best drug treatment is supporting people and meeting their emotional and financial needs while dealing with whatever trauma threw them into addiction in the first place.

But, as we all know, punishment and cruelty rule the day in politics and anyone who dared stray from the "tough on crime" rhetoric would be quickly voted out of their job.

Thanks for sharing this, it leads nicely into today's mainstream thinking that the use, scrounge, use cycle is simply evidence of a moral failure. This contrasts with the absence of drug use being evidence of moral fortitude.

Internalise success, externalise failure for me. (not you though)

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Another problem with the rhetoric we have around drugs is that any and all use is classified as "abuse"

Breakfast Burrito
Aug 8, 2007

JBP posted:

There is no point it's just a forums convo. I do think it's moderately interesting to consider the source being a shithouse parent versus an agent provocateur.

Yeah see this is why the letter makes me sadder than if it was just some troll idiot or culture warrior. You've got enough on your plate then mum blows up twelve months in and writes to the paper or gets on FB to poo poo on you as a human being and poo poo on the people that want you to succeed and live your best life.

It is absolutely 100% believable to me that someone wrote that and thinks those things. There's some real factual inaccuracies about the system in there, and some really common TERF talking points ('transgenderism' is a bit of a giveaway) some of which are imported pretty directly from the UK TERFy conversation, but I have absolutely no doubt that the person who wrote it would believe they are true. That's why it's horrendous journalism to just print some anonymous op-ed and not fact check the person's claims.

I really, really feel for her son, I can't imagine how much it would suck to have a transphobic parent in that way while still being completely under their control. I feel like it either ends with the mum coming to accept her son and realising she was wrong about this, or she will kiss her relationship with her son goodbye (which the school counsellor has already warned her about) in which case she'll blame the 'trans cult' for doing it and get further and further into the TERFy bullshit.

Marslando
May 1, 2010

bell jar posted:

Its 2020, you don't need a library card to learn about """"fringe"""" subjects anymore.

When parents tell you they meant well:

a) they didn't mean well,
b) they meant well up until it was clear the result they wanted wasn't going to happen, or
c) they meant well but not enough to spend time researching the potential consequences of their proposed actions given that the situation is well outside of their experience.

Remember, most children of any age vaguely remember how their parents had food just appear in their hands and the prospect of an uncomfortable existence was inconceivable. This isn't an interaction between equal parties.

Love is the answer. Sure you'll gently caress up from time to time but your child will instinctively know that you're trying your hardest.

Source: I personally know parents that went from laughing at depictions of transgender people in popular media in the 90s/00s to fighting tooth and nail through various authorities to support their child's transition. They didn't need to tell their friends and family that "they meant well," it was self-evident. And they would eat your face if you told them that your skydude morals overrode their child's happiness.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.

freebooter posted:

Another problem with the rhetoric we have around drugs is that any and all use is classified as "abuse"

surely this is more of the MSM, as a substance use disorder is a specific diagnosis.

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
farmers: https://twitter.com/abcnews/status/1339389333912993792

also farmers: "gosh, we just can't get anybody to come do picking work for us"

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug
if only all the kids these days and the backpackers weren't living it up on jobseeker then they would come and work and be assaulted on my nightmare farm

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Just loving subsidise farm work instead of coal work so people do it and earn $30 an hour

trunkh
Jan 31, 2011

Homora Gaykemi posted:

farmers: https://twitter.com/abcnews/status/1339389333912993792

also farmers: "gosh, we just can't get anybody to come do picking work for us"

Like how out of touch is Australia, seeing that and not going get hosed? It's the loving minimum wage. Minimum.

TammyHEH
Dec 11, 2013

Alfrything is only the ghost of a memory...

JBP posted:

Just loving subsidise farm work instead of coal work so people do it and earn $30 an hour

Coal is a more patriotic industry

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
This is a pineapple! Don't be scared, don't be afraid, it won't hurt you!