Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?

DaveKap posted:

I'm only one episode in and need a couple questions answered:
Holden tells Monica she looks different. I'm comparing screens and see nothing different about her. Is there some joke I'm missing here?
Bobby gets a call from some woman thankful that she bought her way past the ring. Who is this again?

1 - Different hair, maybe? Maybe he saw her contact lens?
2 - The wife of the bald guy with the crooked nose from season 4

Episode 1: lol at everyone basically telling Alex to gently caress off

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

DaveKap posted:

Bobby gets a call from some woman thankful that she bought her way past the ring. Who is this again?

The main heist guy from season 4 wanted to settle somewhere after the botched job that got him killed. Bobbie paid for his family to do it

who knows about the other question, it just seemed like a throwaway line.

Ballbot5000
Dec 13, 2008

Fabricati diem, pvnc.
Fuckin lol at Amos walking into Luna with Murtry's bag with his name wrktte. over the top

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Nice to know that future hellscape Baltimore is literally just Regent Park in Toronto

The ugly rear end brown/green buildings Amos hangs out at looking for Erick are down the road from me.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
Avasarala: "You look like poo poo"
Amos: "You look amazing" :3:

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS

Jihad Joe posted:

Fuckin lol at Amos walking into Luna with Murtry's bag with his name wrktte. over the top

All goes back to the roots of the show as an RPG campaign. If you beat the bad guys, you get to loot their stuff!

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

TraderStav posted:

Avasarala: "You look like poo poo"
Amos: "You look amazing" :3:

"You could be both" is probably going to win out for line of the season. You just can't beat that.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

Taintrunner posted:

"You could be both" is probably going to win out for line of the season. You just can't beat that.

It sure is, we chatted about it when the sneak peak dropped so I didn't mention it. Everything Amos and Ava is gold.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Halfway through Ep. 3 and I gotta say Admiral Drummer is the best development that's happened so far.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

rndmnmbr posted:

Aw man. Amos thinking it's the coolest poo poo that Earth considers him Holden's pet murderer didn't survive.

That was sad. They did keep one of my other favorite exchanges tho.

There was a button. I pushed it.
Jesus Christ, that's really how you go through life, isn't it?

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

MA-Horus posted:

Nice to know that future hellscape Baltimore is literally just Regent Park in Toronto

The ugly rear end brown/green buildings Amos hangs out at looking for Erick are down the road from me.

That's where I thought it was.

Grand Fromage posted:

I mean, that's what he does. He got that from Miller i think.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

twistedmentat posted:

That's where I thought it was.

I mean, that's what he does. He got that from Miller i think.
joke that you need the other spoilers for it to make sense so spoiling even though it's not directly:
Miller had to hold the button subtle difference

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

Grand Fromage posted:

That was probably my favorite dialogue in the book and I was happy as hell it made the cut.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Episode 1: I feel like they've really improved all the small, quiet character moments since last year Amos being almost sociable on the freighter before beating the poo poo out of the thugs, Alex being all Lionel van Milhouse in the cowboy bar, the slow hollowing out of Mars. It's great stuff. Could have done without the big ticking countdown at the end - I think the first scene established Chekov's Asteroids well enough, I'm already loving terrified how this is gonna end.

Edit: Episode 2: I haven't read The Churn, or any of the books, and I liked how minimalist Amos' plot was. You don't need all the details about the gangs and politics that happened. We already knew Lydia was good to him, he was abused, got into some awful stuff, and somehow managed to get out. What's important is how modern day Amos doesn't quite fit into that world any more. Loved the bit of him giving the kid an icepack for his face.

Strom Cuzewon fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Dec 16, 2020

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Not every day is a good day.

Dinosaur Gum

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Edit: Episode 2: I haven't read The Churn, or any of the books, and I liked how minimalist Amos' plot was. You don't need all the details about the gangs and politics that happened. We already knew Lydia was good to him, he was abused, got into some awful stuff, and somehow managed to get out. What's important is how modern day Amos doesn't quite fit into that world any more. Loved the bit of him giving the kid an icepack for his face.

E2: Yeah, I've not read them either, and I really liked this episode. It seems like after the poo poo he's seen in space, Amos isn't as wrapped up in all of this any more. It'll be interesting to see how he's impacted by the... impact.

E3: That was some filthy outterrogation by official Worst Spy Alex. Also, Pirate Queen Drummer is a good plotline.

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

im glad they kept in drummers pansexual polycule command structure and i hope we see all of them as characters as the show gets going she deserves it

Oscar aint no Slouch
Apr 29, 2014
Looks like they're doing a half hour aftershow for each episode https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FO6NEpQXhcg&list=PLWz2DO39R-NU5FW-aFfilRvyeg9oXMTgp&index=3

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Episode 3: gently caress. Me.

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
I really want Holden's new jacket.

Random episode 1 thoughts:
- Still love the gravity details - the person walking past Naomi on the "ceiling" via magboots, the old floaty camera trick they do and Crissy's slowed down pour.
- Amos's "nametag" on the backpack. (Headcanon: written in Murty's blood)
- Stabbing a guy with a toothbrush is some John Wick poo poo.
- I like the worldbuilding of the declining Mars.
- When Amos landed on the moon, that was some straight up Mass Effect soundtrack!
- Tipper (Naomi) is a great actress, the reaction to seeing Filip on a screen was moving. Which makes me all the more annoyed that they're still backtracking on character development with her still being secretive with Holden! It was already annoying in season 4 after she'd been through a whole arc across s2-s3 with trusting the boys.

Ep 2:
- Someone on reddit did the maths on those weird clicky dumbells you can actually buy and reckoned Bobbie was lifting (combined) something like 270lbs? Wonder how they shot around?

Eps 1-3:
- The Monica rescue was pretty compelling.
- Fred's getting all the best lines!
- The blast at the end while visually interesting feels a little weak for a premiere ender after we heard about 2 million people blowing up in season 2/3.

It's pronounced Wes "Chattem"?!

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

VagueRant posted:

Ep 2:
- Someone on reddit did the maths on those weird clicky dumbells you can actually buy and reckoned Bobbie was lifting (combined) something like 270lbs? Wonder how they shot around?

By "shot around" are you saying it was faked? She's a semi-pro boxer, I'm pretty sure she can just lift that weight.

am0kgonzo
Jun 18, 2010
boxing isn't a strength sport, bobbie isn't benching 270lbs

it's just fake weights

CommanderApaul
Aug 30, 2003

It's amazing their hands can support such awesome.

DaveKap posted:

I'm only one episode in and need a couple questions answered:
Holden tells Monica she looks different. I'm comparing screens and see nothing different about her. Is there some joke I'm missing here?

For Holden/Monica, the ocular implants are new I believe. She had the creepy hands guy and camera drones before.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Well, that's neat. Twice now they said that Holden is the Cassandra of the cast. I didn't know what that reference meant, but after looking up the Greek goddess (and realizing that she wasn't a goddess), apparently:

Wikipedia posted:

In modern usage her name is employed as a rhetorical device to indicate someone whose accurate prophecies are not believed.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

am0kgonzo posted:

boxing isn't a strength sport, bobbie isn't benching 270lbs

it's just fake weights

Obviously they filmed it in space

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005
Blending in like it ain't no thang

Grand Fromage posted:

By "shot around" are you saying it was faked? She's a semi-pro boxer, I'm pretty sure she can just lift that weight.

Maybe for one take, but they're not going to make her lift that weight 10 takes in a row while engaging in dialogue to get the right edit.

Oscar aint no Slouch
Apr 29, 2014

Azhais posted:

Obviously they filmed it in space

that's actually a good point, did the reddit math guy take into account that mars has 38% of g?

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
I like to think that at the end of Ep. 3 the guy's google glasses popped up with historical information about similar explosions, the rising air temperature, and if he'd like to buy life insurance

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Fishfinder 5000.

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
Okay, I re-read and I mis-remembered the Reddit guy who was apparently doing some weird maths to come to the 270 figure. Anyway, according to him the max weight of each dumbell is 90lbs (on the other similar looking model it's about 50lbs), either of which add up to a much more plausible weight for Frankie Adams. (270 is more of an Amos number.)

Although yeah, with multiple takes, they almost certainly faked it - I'm just curious how they made fake plates that could fit into the obscure clicky dial dumbell system/design they're using as a prop. (Selecttech dumbbells, if anyone's curious.)

But being a massive idiot and pedant, I looked it up and Mars gravity is a little over 1/3 of earth gravity which means she was lifting about combined 60lbs at best. So sadly, this means the Bobbie of the TV show is canonically only Kinda Strong (or was doing drop sets).

Petitioning Amazon to cancel the show at 5 seasons.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

VagueRant posted:

Okay, I re-read and I mis-remembered the Reddit guy who was apparently doing some weird maths to come to the 270 figure. Anyway, according to him the max weight of each dumbell is 90lbs (on the other similar looking model it's about 50lbs), either of which add up to a much more plausible weight for Frankie Adams. (270 is more of an Amos number.)

Although yeah, with multiple takes, they almost certainly faked it - I'm just curious how they made fake plates that could fit into the obscure clicky dial dumbell system/design they're using as a prop. (Selecttech dumbbells, if anyone's curious.)

But being a massive idiot and pedant, I looked it up and Mars gravity is a little over 1/3 of earth gravity which means she was lifting about combined 60lbs at best. So sadly, this means the Bobbie of the TV show is canonically only Kinda Strong (or was doing drop sets).

Petitioning Amazon to cancel the show at 5 seasons.

clearly mars dumbells are made of hyperlead to make them denser.

VagueRant
May 24, 2012

double nine posted:

clearly mars dumbells are made of hyperlead to make them denser.
...Save The Expanse!

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

on mars they use each other as dumb bellends :earthersmug:

Tuna-Fish
Sep 13, 2017

Grand Fromage posted:

lol @ bar

Ep 1: I am gonna be bothered by that 21 megatons though. That ain't poo poo. Reminds me of these books I read where the author clearly knows nothing about nukes and talks about a few one kiloton weapons causing planet-wide devastation.

The poor scientist was basing his figures on incomplete information. He was asked the amount of damage a rock would do when given only the mass, and so assumed an impact velocity that is typical for a NEO, giving a result that made the rock seem like a typical nuke. This mislead the Admiral and made him greatly underestimate the threat. Sure, a terrorist with a nuke is bad, but it's not a world buster. Given how unlikely a successful attack is anyway, maybe not something worth ruining your career over.

But the rocks will not hit with the impact velocity typical of NEOs. Marco Inaros was a slingshot racer, who carefully engineered the trajectories of the rocks he tossed for maximum carnage. And since KE is ½mv^2, increasing the velocity makes the impact energy go up fast.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Tuna-Fish posted:

The poor scientist was basing his figures on incomplete information. He was asked the amount of damage a rock would do when given only the mass, and so assumed an impact velocity that is typical for a NEO, giving a result that made the rock seem like a typical nuke. This mislead the Admiral and made him greatly underestimate the threat. Sure, a terrorist with a nuke is bad, but it's not a world buster. Given how unlikely a successful attack is anyway, maybe not something worth ruining your career over.

But the rocks will not hit with the impact velocity typical of NEOs. Marco Inaros was a slingshot racer, who carefully engineered the trajectories of the rocks he tossed for maximum carnage. And since KE is ½mv^2, increasing the velocity makes the impact energy go up fast.

That's a dude in episode 3. The part I mentioned in episode 1 gives the impact as narrator information. And in fact supports the higher acceleration--the ep 1 info is given as 21 megatons, while the dude in ep 3 estimates four.

Pastamania
Mar 5, 2012

You cannot know.
The things I've seen.
The things I've done.
The things he made me do.

Tuna-Fish posted:

Huh. That's a really clever subtle little bit of screen writing right there. Nice.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Did anyone else have an issue where it kept showing German subtitles for text on screen? I kept messing with the audio and captions but it wouldn't turn off.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
Ep1, in reply to above: The rock stated as being 21 MT was the same one that disintegrated during the close pass to the sun, right? Could be that the others carry vastly more kinetic energy

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?

Cojawfee posted:

Did anyone else have an issue where it kept showing German subtitles for text on screen? I kept messing with the audio and captions but it wouldn't turn off.

This is just a weird amazon prime bug that I can't believe they haven't fixed yet.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

So yeah I have to say something, this improved rapidly but for the first 15 minutes of episode 1 I was like what the gently caress happened with the acting on this show.

Every ancillary character in those first two scenes (the one on the science ship especially) sounded like my 6th grade classmates being forced to read some YA novel one paragraph at a time by the teacher. And then the bit on Tycho, they were putting weird wrong emphasis on lines like it was the first read they got and they didn't bother doing any retakes. "That's what we get for USING the ship to drag a hundred times its mass!" Blah it was so distracting I almost stopped watching. Glad I didn't though, the rest was great

Anyway just wondering whether whoever wrote the theme music for Game of Thrones ever sued them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TommyGun85
Jun 5, 2013

Data Graham posted:

So yeah I have to say something, this improved rapidly but for the first 15 minutes of episode 1 I was like what the gently caress happened with the acting on this show.

Every ancillary character in those first two scenes (the one on the science ship especially) sounded like my 6th grade classmates being forced to read some YA novel one paragraph at a time by the teacher. And then the bit on Tycho, they were putting weird wrong emphasis on lines like it was the first read they got and they didn't bother doing any retakes. "That's what we get for USING the ship to drag a hundred times its mass!" Blah it was so distracting I almost stopped watching. Glad I didn't though, the rest was great

Anyway just wondering whether whoever wrote the theme music for Game of Thrones ever sued them

I thought the exact same thing, the acting was really really bad, but has picked up considerably later on.