Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

Give me a Kenan and Kel reboot and all will be forgiven.

I have two questions.

A: is it still Kenan Thompson and Kel Mitchell, or do we recast their roles as younger actors?

B: do we still get Coolio to do the theme, or do we hire an equally baffling musician?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

Vandar posted:

Scott's big 'power of understanding' moment at the end of the comic comes after everyone calls him out and he realizes he's been a giant rear end in a top hat and a bully for most of his life. He's not fully redeemed at the end by any means but he realizes how awful he is and he's taking the first steps on the road to redeeming himself.

This is part of why the movie does miss the mark a bit. I said earlier that Movie Scott and Comic Scott are really two different characters plopped into the same plot, but I think you can see that reflected in how Movie Scott gets Self-Respect instead of Understanding. That's because Movie Scott is a Michael Cera weenie instead of a boisterous, hot-headed manchild.

There's also the fact that in the comics, Scott accepts his many, many flaws and mistakes in the form of Nega Scott, which is part of what lets him actually start learning and moving forward. Movie Scott, instead, ends up becoming pals with Nega-Scott and chills with him in the ending. Its another subtle departure away from Scott being the problem and more towards Scott being a Michael Cera character. Which doesn't do much to make the Knives thing creepy and uncomfortable like it is in the books, and in fact may make it a little worse since the film's alternate ending is flat out a Scott-Knives ending.

And then there's game Scott, who learns nothing, gets no Sword of Character Development, punches out Nega Scott . . . and also explicitly gets the game's most hollow ending as a result, with you needing to play as Ramona to get the good ending.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

GoutPatrol posted:

Everything that stays in the cultural consciousness from syndication will eventually die out. It will happen to Seinfeld too. I don't think the media world exists in such a way where you can have people watching The Little Rascals and Three Stooges shorts from the 30s up into the 1980s in black and white.

The Seinfeld one has already been in progress for a little while. I mentioned before how TBS had it on nationally for like an hour or two, usually around 6pm or 7pm every weeknight, and even a decade after it ended it was still drawing big ratings for those time slots. Since the show originally ended in 1998, they were basically rerunning it nonstop the entire time until a handful of years ago when they replaced it with The Big Bang Theory. The same goes for a lot of local WB/UPN and CW/MY affiliates who used to air it just as often. Now it’s only aired in the mornings when people would normally be working or very late at night.

Some quick Googling tells me TBS is actually losing Seinfeld to Viacom for Comedy Central and other networks starting next October, which may also be why it’s been scaled back.

EDIT: As an aside, a lot of stuff like the Stooges and Little Rascals and whatnot, while originally from the 30’s and 40’s, had big revivals by being some of the earliest stuff syndicated on TV in the late 50’s and early 60’s. That effectively reset the clock on them, and they lasted on TV for a while, which played a major role in those remaining a fairly big influence well into the 80’s and 90’s. AMC was still running several hours of Stooges shorts (Hosted by Leslie Nielsen) on weekend mornings until the early 00’s, for example.

fartknocker has a new favorite as of 04:38 on Dec 16, 2020

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

hard counter posted:

i'll never think the kent disguise is stupid again

holy poo poo lmao

also Drew Carey owns and i'm glad of it

that is a goddamn jarhead if i ever seent one tho

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

verbal enema posted:

holy poo poo lmao

also Drew Carey owns and i'm glad of it

that is a goddamn jarhead if i ever seent one tho

His whole deal originally is he wore the standard issue 'Birth Control' marines glasses and made them part of his shtick.

Reminded that Christopher Reeves basically had people going 'Oh, NOW I see it' after the studio had initially considered casting different people to play Clark and Superman.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

Len posted:

The monkey paw curls and we get a show where Kenan and Kel are parents

Hey, Bill & Ted Face the Music wasn't bad

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
The theme song from the drew carey show still runs through my head now and then.

Did whose line age well? Like the drew carey run. The new ones sucked because every episode was about cramming a guest appearance in.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
if you can stand improv comedy it's about the best source you can get for it still. wayne brady is still intensely talented and the rest of the standard cast are all very quick on their feet comedically. drew isn't any good at the improv but that was obvious at the time and he's good in his role in the rest of the episode as 'guy who laughs his loving rear end off'

the bloopers always make me feel like the show would've been wild to watch live too
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-nLZ9I0Nhlw

fun fact, if you're in the US you can watch the entire run of whose line for free officially including the newer aisha tyler seasons https://www.cwseed.com/shows/whose-line-is-it-anyway?season=1

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place
One time I went to a Whose Live show in northern California and when they requested the name of a restaurant someone said "Papa Murphy's" and they had never heard of it and played it off as "California's finest Irish pizzeria." That's all I remember from that show other than some mildly transphobic joke that made me frown at the time but I know Colin at least is really cool about that

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
yeah, given that it's got like several hundred episodes and started in the 90s I wouldn't be surprised if there are some jokes that absolutely haven't aged well but as far as I understand everyone in the main recurring cast are good eggs these days

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

Detective No. 27 posted:

Henry Cavill was sitting at a restaurant in front of a giant poster for Batman v Superman in New York and nobody recognized him.

It could just be that no one wanted to talk to Henry Cavill.

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

F:\DL>quickfli 4-clowns.fli

ilmucche posted:

The new ones sucked because every episode was about cramming a guest appearance in.

Yeah, they leaned on that way too hard in the beginning. IMO the later seasons are pretty good, very few guests and the main cast has developed a good dynamic with Aisha Tyler. I think they're up to six seasons of the new one, and fair enough since I'd imagine it's a really cheap show to make.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

flatluigi posted:

if you can stand improv comedy it's about the best source you can get for it still.

There are a hundred long form improv podcasts that can offer good stuff. It is different from Whose Line, less structured, but it works better in a podcast format.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Ben Schwartz and Thomas Middleditch have a three episode improv thing on Netflix that is a lot of fun. They take a prompt at the beginning of the show and then spend the rest of the episode doing a long improv story using only a couple of chairs as props.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

1000 Brown M and Ms posted:

I think they're up to six seasons of the new one, and fair enough since I'd imagine it's a really cheap show to make.

It absolutely is. The original ABC run with Drew Carey was on at the same time as Friends, which they joked about a lot, but a big reason the show stayed on was it cost so little to make for the decent ratings it got going up against a massive show like Friends.

As for aging well, from clips I’ve seen on YouTube, most of them have. Obviously stuff like political jokes or contemporary references to the whole Firestone tire thing will date some of it, but a ton of it is still really funny. Comedy Central used to rerun the old British episodes with Clive Anderson as host until the early 00’s, which very often still featured Ryan, Colin, and Greg Proops, and I remember those being much more dated since they had a ton more British political humor in them (So many John Major jokes I’ll never quite understand as an American).

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I can't watch the British run just because I can't loving stand Clive Anderson. Drew wasn't good at improv, but he knew that and let the others get on with it. Anderson always seemed to be getting in the way. Real shame, because I grew up with the original series, but I can't go back to it after watching the US versions.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
The original series also had a much bigger stable of performers, which in theory is great, but... well, the reason the US version stuck to Colin, Ryan and Wayne so much is because those three are brilliant, and know each other's skillsets and senses of humor so well. Most of the UK run consists of a few interesting solo performers, some really insufferable British guys (some of which apparently still turned up in the early chunk of QI, and were just as bad there), and then a couple of gems where you can see a combo like Colin and Greg really get something going.

You could still tell some of the solo performers had some real talent, though. My dad liked Stephen Frost, and I enjoyed any time Josie Lawrence was on.

Cleretic has a new favorite as of 14:49 on Dec 16, 2020

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret
Yeah, the larger cast was a mixed thing. Some worked out really well, Mike McShane was usually good IMO, but there were definitely some awful ones in there. My memory is that by a point midway through its run, Ryan Stiles was in almost every episode (A quick check of Wikipedia says he was in 76 of the 136), usually with Colin or Greg, and some of those were really good. The other thing I remember, and I don’t know if this was just the syndicate episodes or the way the British ones were originally, but the editing of them wasn’t as good and it’d cut from one thing to another a lot quicker, so games like Scenes from a Hat would basically be one joke for each suggestion and they’d move on, where as the U.S. versions would let them keep going for a while if they all had ideas.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I always found John Sessions insufferable, and was really glad to find out he was a total cock when he started supporting UKIP. Rest in piss, you racist fuckpipe.

letthereberock
Sep 4, 2004

fartknocker posted:

Comedy Central used to rerun the old British episodes with Clive Anderson as host until the early 00’s, which very often still featured Ryan, Colin, and Greg Proops, and I remember those being much more dated since they had a ton more British political humor in them (So many John Major jokes I’ll never quite understand as an American).

Not just the viewers but sometimes the American cast as well. One of the funniest bits on the UK one I remember was with Ryan and I think 3 British cast. There was an audience suggestion for a parody of some specific British TV show that I guess was really popular at the time, but it became clear early on that Ryan had never seen/heard of this show and it was all amusingly awkward. At one point one of the British cast just looks at Ryan, and in the voice of the character he was parodying, said “you’re not from here are you!?”

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

Sunswipe posted:

I always found John Sessions insufferable, and was really glad to find out he was a total cock when he started supporting UKIP. Rest in piss, you racist fuckpipe.

If I sit down to watch QI and see John Sessions, Rory McGrath, Rory Bremner, Gyles Brandreth, or Jeremy Clarkson then it's getting switched straight off regardless of who else is on. Not a great fan of Arthur Smith either (he's someone only funny to other comedians).

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Clarkson is like the Seinfeld of top gear. It was good despite him and not because of him, but his ego got such a boost from it you just want to see him get sprayed with a fire extinguisher.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Cleretic posted:

some really insufferable British guys (some of which apparently still turned up in the early chunk of QI, and were just as bad there)

What's that? Of course, I'm funny! Don't you know how rich my family are?

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

There were some real early Whose Line games that didn’t age well like Authors, where they just had to tell a story in the style of a different author, so there wasn’t a lot of room for any jokes.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I like Clarkson in Top Gear. I think all three of them needed to be there for the show to work at all. I miss that show something fierce too.

Stingwing
Mar 26, 2010

Thank you Mr President for Making America Great Again! USA #1! I shouldn't have to understand other cultures, I'm a god damn American hero.
I thought Clarkson could be funny sometimes, but the fact he was a violent racist alcoholic climate change denier makes it a little hard for me to miss him. Richard Hammond was also pretty terrible after that accident in 2006 scrambled his brain.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

James May seems like a pretty chill dude.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Stingwing posted:

I thought Clarkson could be funny sometimes, but the fact he was a violent racist alcoholic climate change denier makes it a little hard for me to miss him. Richard Hammond was also pretty terrible after that accident in 2006 scrambled his brain.

I remember how incredibly controversial that opinion was in the threads about the show back when it came to light just how much of a piece of poo poo Clarkson was.

So many people jumping to his defence because they enjoyed the pretty show about cars. I mean, I was also a huge fan of the show, too but some things are beyond defending.

When he abused and attacked one of the producers because he'd been out drinking so long the hotel had sent their cook home and he wanted chips? The producer should have done more! The producer personally cooked for Clarkson. The producer shouldn't have said anything, violent outbursts from the talent is just part of the job! The producer didn't step forward until everyone else in the crew complained and it looked like footage of the incident was going to get released.

When they used a racial slur against an Asian man? No, totally not a slur despite how wink, wink it was delivered! Clarkson wouldn't even have known about that particular word because he'd spent his entire life living in a cave with no media! The production team literally came out and said they chose the word because they knew it was a term for Asians.

When they went off on horrible stereotypes of Mexican people? Just a joke! C'mon.

The clip in question:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jXAgTfyVacI&t=161s

Megillah Gorilla has a new favorite as of 17:17 on Dec 16, 2020

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

give me one example of something clarkson said that made you lol

I liked top gear but clarkson was always annoying, and I didn't get much comedy value out of anything other than James May looking at a broken car and going "well, cock" or pointing a gun at his own face

Sir Bobert Fishbone
Jan 16, 2006

Beebort

Megillah Gorilla posted:

When they went off on horrible stereotypes of Mexican people? Just a joke! C'mon.

The clip in question:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jXAgTfyVacI&t=161s

Wikipedia posted:

During the second episode of series sixteen of Top Gear, Hammond suggested that no one would ever want to own a Mexican car, since cars are supposed to reflect national characteristics and so a Mexican car would be "lazy, feckless, flatulent, overweight, leaning against a fence, asleep, looking at a cactus with a blanket with a hole in the middle on as a coat." Hammond finished with the remark "I'm sorry, but can you imagine waking up and remembering you're Mexican?!" The comments prompted Mexico's ambassador in London, Eduardo Medina-Mora Icaza, to lodge an official complaint to the BBC. Demanding an apology from the BBC, the ambassador stated: "These offensive, xenophobic and humiliating remarks only serve to reinforce negative stereotypes and perpetuate prejudice against Mexico and its people." The BBC defended the broadcast of this segment on the grounds that such national stereotyping was a "robust part" of traditional British humour.

Stingwing
Mar 26, 2010

Thank you Mr President for Making America Great Again! USA #1! I shouldn't have to understand other cultures, I'm a god damn American hero.
I "liked" that episode of Top Gear where to show how dangerous and awful some city in the US was they played a clip of some random black people they saw with police sirens dubbed over it.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

bobjr posted:

There were some real early Whose Line games that didn’t age well like Authors, where they just had to tell a story in the style of a different author, so there wasn’t a lot of room for any jokes.

I've got a distinct memory of Josie Lawrence and Caroline Quentin berating the audience suggestions for a round of Film and Theatre Styles not including enough high brow stuff. The game then went on to demonstrate their aren't a lot of laughs to be got from suddenly switching to Brechtian theatre compared to switching to Star Trek or Aussie soap opera. The concept of the show is great, but too many performers early on were used to improv being used as an acting tool rather than a way to make funny stuff.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Stingwing posted:

I "liked" that episode of Top Gear where to show how dangerous and awful some city in the US was they played a clip of some random black people they saw with police sirens dubbed over it.

It was our capital city, Washington DC.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

hawowanlawow posted:

give me one example of something clarkson said that made you lol

I laughed when he almost cried a little bit when James gave him wine and caviar on their way to the north pole. There's others, but that's the first one that popped in mind.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
The greatest moment of Top Gear was when they fled a hick town in Alabama before “the boys” showed up and visited violence upon them for having “MAN LOVE RULES OK” painted on Hammond’s pickup.

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

People other than Tina Fey wore fake glasses?

idk if you were a teenager in 2010 or not but it was something that a fuckton of teens and popstars did (it was related to the whole shutter shades thing)

Gargamel Gibson
Apr 24, 2014

Sweevo posted:

If I sit down to watch QI and see John Sessions, Rory McGrath, Rory Bremner, Gyles Brandreth, or Jeremy Clarkson then it's getting switched straight off regardless of who else is on. Not a great fan of Arthur Smith either (he's someone only funny to other comedians).

It's hosed up that QI has just 4 panelist spots and every week one of them is wasted on Alan Davies.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Gargamel Gibson posted:

It's hosed up that QI has just 4 panelist spots and every week one of them is wasted on Alan Davies.

The gently caress is this nonsense?

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Kanine posted:

idk if you were a teenager in 2010 or not but it was something that a fuckton of teens and popstars did (it was related to the whole shutter shades thing)

I definitely remember those, although I was thinking more of just regular frames but empty. I knew a guy in graduate school who bought an empty set of frames and would put them on right before he gave a paper at a conference. Just the douchiest guy you can imagine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

bobjr posted:

I mean if you know the author it can be funny to hear a good fake of their style.

I dunno I like the early Whose Line.