Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Inzombiac posted:

Is the PC version nice and stable these days?

I played it at launch and then again a week or two ago. At launch I would get crashes every 30 minutes or so, adding up to roughly ~100 crashes over the duration of the story. With the recent playthrough I'm about 2/3 through the story and haven't had a single crash so far. Besides the severe crashing issues, performance was always decent on a GTX 1070 even though it's relatively dated these days, I haven't noticed any improvements in that regard but it was never really a problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
Performance is kind of an issue for sure, but my previous gaming system still has a 970 so it's really been showing its age for quite a few years now. Any game that tries to use all the VRAM will get the harsh facts of life. And games that ramp rendering quality based on performance trying to use all that VRAM will run at what appears to be 480p.

My current gaming setup is a Razer Blade 15 (2020) with a 2080 super max-q, so it's a mobile chip on a mobile OLED display. Not great, but pretty loving good--I can get 90fps benchmark average out of Horizon at 1080p ultra, with no significant dips (below 60, say). In contrast, I can run Doom Eternal at 150fps at the equivalent settings ("Ultra Nightmare" graphics presets).

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy
I've never had a crash while playing. I play 1080p on all ultra settings with a Ryzen 5 2600 and GTX 1660ti. When I ran the benchmark the lowest fps I ever got was 55, iirc.

Does anyone know if there's a save editor, or know how the gently caress the saves are encoded? I saw there was a Decima engine assets unpacker on github but it didn't say anything about the save format.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Boogalo posted:

Also heads-up. Horizon looks like it'll be one of the daily giveways on epic store during the next 2 weeks (dec 29th if the screenshot i saw is to be believed). I've never given epic a dime but have quite a library of freebies on it.

If you're talking about the list in the free games thread, there's no way on loving earth that list is accurate.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

I was on a 970 at the time and played it solidly on medium to high settings since day 1, and over the 112.7 hours I put in I had a total of three crashes. The latest (9th) patch was Dec 8th so they have been continually improving things since then too. I think the issues were very real for an unfortunate small number of people, but ultimately overblown.

AfricanBootyShine
Jan 9, 2006

Snake wins.

actual game chat:

what are the best sidequests? I'm about 6h in and every one so far feels like a ubisoft filler quest.

Superterranean
May 3, 2005

after we lit this one, nothing was ever the same

AfricanBootyShine posted:

actual game chat:

what are the best sidequests? I'm about 6h in and every one so far feels like a ubisoft filler quest.

Are you still tooling around Nora lands? if so, yeah, do some more main quest. The world opens up.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

AfricanBootyShine posted:

actual game chat:

I'd start with the side quests that have impact on how the ending plays out. It's not huge but they dictate (very minor spolier) how many allies you have in the endgame

A Moment's Peace
A Daughter's Vengeance
Sun and Shadow
Honor the Fallen
Sunstone Rock
Hunting for the Lodge - Hunter's Blind - Deadliest Game - Redmaw
Traitor's Bounty - Queen's Gambit

The Frozen Wilds area has several quests that are good, though I guess you could technically call all of it a side quest but it's level 30+.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

The sidequests in this game are really more just of an excuse to hang out with NPCs since you rarely get any kind of reward from them. If you're on a time budget, I'd recommend...

Hunter's Lodge - Talanah
Free Heap - Petra
Bandit Camps - Nil
Acquired Taste - Brin (this one is kinda hard to find, consult a map)
Traitor's Bounty - Vanasha, Vanasha's Abs

Those are my favorites. Once you're in The Frozen Wilds all the sidequests are good, especially Waterlogged which I think might be one of my favorite optional missions in any video game.

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy
Yeah the side quests in The Frozen Wilds were much better, overall, than the base game. The ones I liked the most:
  • Death from the Skies
  • Robbing the Rich
  • Acquired Taste
  • Heap of Trouble
  • A Daughter's Vengeance
  • Traitor's Bounty and Queen's Gambit
  • Talking to Nil (not a side quest, but holy gently caress what a weird guy)

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

Nil is this worlds Trevor. He's the gamer insert.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Skwirl posted:

If you're talking about the list in the free games thread, there's no way on loving earth that list is accurate.

Yeah, a bunch of those aren't even the store but we can dream.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I just started playing this game like a week before Cyberpunk came out, and now that I beat that I've started playing this again but I've got 2 questions -

1) Is there a way to respec? Quick google search makes it seem like there isn't. I generally don't love open world games, so I bum rushed the Summon Mount skill because I hate slowly walking from A to B but the world in this game ~really~ isn't that big and I find I get around on foot just fine. Kinda wish I didn't waste like my first 10 levels on skill points rushing the mount talent...

2) Early on, the game introduces you to "Shoot the Blaze Cannister with a Fire Arrow to make it EXPLODE" mechanic. Now that I'm a higher level this no longer seems to work? Do cannisters just require more arrows / damage be pumped into them? Like I started finding Corrupted Grazers and man I just cannot get their cannisters to pop.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Sab669 posted:

I just started playing this game like a week before Cyberpunk came out, and now that I beat that I've started playing this again but I've got 2 questions -

1) Is there a way to respec? Quick google search makes it seem like there isn't. I generally don't love open world games, so I bum rushed the Summon Mount skill because I hate slowly walking from A to B but the world in this game ~really~ isn't that big and I find I get around on foot just fine. Kinda wish I didn't waste like my first 10 levels on skill points rushing the mount talent...

There's no way to respec but there are more than enough skill points between leveling and quest rewards to max everything out.

Sab669 posted:

2) Early on, the game introduces you to "Shoot the Blaze Cannister with a Fire Arrow to make it EXPLODE" mechanic. Now that I'm a higher level this no longer seems to work? Do cannisters just require more arrows / damage be pumped into them? Like I started finding Corrupted Grazers and man I just cannot get their cannisters to pop.

It still works, but higher-level machines often have bits of armor protecting canisters. You either have to find the angles from which this armor lacks coverage, or break the armor off first.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

1. There is no respec but you'll very quickly get all the skill points you'd ever possibly want. Concentration and triple arrows are the most desireable, along with the one that slows time whenever you jump. After those, everything else is just a convenience.

2. Machines "evolve" over time and start to develop protection for some of their weakpoints if you've killed a lot of them. Grazers for example develop an armored shell around their blaze canister, so you'll first have to rip those off with hardpoint/precision arrows before igniting their canisters with fire.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

So far these look pretty clearly yellow glowy cannister, but maybe there is some plating and I just can't see it?

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

They'll still show up yellow when highlighted with the focus but once that wears off (or before using the focus) you'll see they're armored. This is mostly on the big machines though. Stuff like grazers and lancehorns won't have armored canisters.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Any tips for playing this game on Very Hard? I'm aware that getting an enemy into an appropriate elemental status effect makes your subsequent attacks stronger, and lopping off armor pieces and components weakens/defangs them to some extent. My damage output still feels quite low when using my shadow precision bow. Things just take a really long time to kill, and my spear isn't doing that great either.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Are you still in Nora territory? To start my Ultra-Hard runs I like to get a blue Tripcaster (the one with explosive bombs) and a Carja Precision Bow (the one with tearblast arrows) while working toward a Shadow Sling (the one with all 3 elemental effects) for my early game loadout. That gives you a good balance of weakening tools between tearblast and the fire arrows from your starter bow, along with the guaranteed damage of tripcaster bombs. On higher difficulties, machines will take almost no damage from glancing blows, so it's really important to scan and aim for weakpoints. Tearblast arrows remove the protective layers of a machine's armor, softening them up for your regular arrows. Freeze, in addition to making a machine take double damage to their weakpoints, also make every arrow hit behave as if it bypassed armor. The skills that let you slow time longer while aiming and load up triple arrows are the most important toward increasing your damage output in the early going. Your spear should only be used to get a knockdown and reposition, or to finish off a smaller enemy like watchers or bandits.

Something that isn't always obvious to people is that you need to fill up the little elemental icon all the way to induce the corresponding effect, and to ignite elemental canisters, you need either fire arrows from the Hunter Bow or freeze/shock arrows from the War Bow. The biggest mistake I see beginners make is sticking with the starter bow forever instead of building up a well-balanced loadout of tools to take down the machines.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Just hitting a machine's body will never do very much damage, even after its armour has been removed. For the big numbers, you either need to hit a component directly (this deals heavily increased damage and also when you destroy the component it'll deal an additional burst of damage) or freeze it (in which case all hits will automatically crit)

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

So I'm around level 30 now, did my second Cauldron which IIRC was identical to the first one? Most of my quests are 5-10 levels below me and I'm starting to feel like I've seen everything. Not a ton of new dinosaurs coming in. I just did the second fight against a Destroyer, but this time it could move :shrug:

I dunno, game is fun and cool but it's starting to lose my interest now that I've got all Purple gear, don't feel like I'm working towards anything and the characters don't interest me.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

The cauldrons do differ.

Two are dungeons that end with a boss.

One simply houses a major boss.

One has a massive elaborate setpieces involving dinos and bandits.

Do stick around. I recomend cleaning up the base-game side-content before fully engaging the main plot, which is the best part. Getting 100 percent in this game is nowhere near as arduous as a Ubisoft game.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Is there a point that the story is supposed to hook? I hear this is one of the best recent games ever for its story and I am having a heck of a time trying to get myself invested. For what its worth, I just left a snow lab ruins area and learned a little bit about Project Zero Dawn and some codec dude is helping me out with answering the bigger questions.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

buglord posted:

Is there a point that the story is supposed to hook? I hear this is one of the best recent games ever for its story and I am having a heck of a time trying to get myself invested. For what its worth, I just left a snow lab ruins area and learned a little bit about Project Zero Dawn and some codec dude is helping me out with answering the bigger questions.

Project Zero Dawn gets explained to you in a big exposition dump, I would at least keep playing until you get to that point even if it hasn't interested you so far. If you've heard characters speaking about it already you shouldn't have to play much longer to get there.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

The big plot tilt, the meeting with the Goddess if you will, is in the mission "Deep Secrets of the Earth."

Everything before then is prologue and everything after then is consequence.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Just saw that Epic Games has Horizon for US$5.99 so am popping in to ask how's the PC performance? I've played it on PS4 before, though another run with a better rig and the expansion might be good fucktedfaro

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

All the major problems the PC port had at launch have been fixed, although you'll still need a pretty decent system to hit 60fps with everything maxed.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Artelier posted:

Just saw that Epic Games has Horizon for US$5.99 so am popping in to ask how's the PC performance? I've played it on PS4 before, though another run with a better rig and the expansion might be good fucktedfaro

Six bucks? Shows up as $40 for me...

PC performance seems fine to me, I was playing it on an RTX 2060 + i5 6500, now I'm playing on a 3070 + i9 10850

FPS dropped considerably in Meridian for me quite a bit, which is pretty pathetic considering my new hardware, but otherwise it's been acceptable.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
Performance has steadily improved since launch, though I also got a new CPU last month so it’s hard to be objective. Still, it’s not a very well-optimised game, so keep your expectations reasonable. As far as crashes go, people say it’s gotten a lot better, but I never got any in the first place, so I can’t say.

Natsuumi
Jun 13, 2003

Natsuumi's gone.
I'm Cherlene now.

I'm currently 30 hours in with only one CTD. Performs very well on my system (i7 6700k and GTX 1080) at high settings.

I got the feeling this might be the first game ever I try to 100% complete.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

I'm level 15 and just completed "the war-chief's trail" quest.

So far this game seems pretty chill. Basically: everything's on rails with only one real outcome and the map has a million markers so it's impossible to miss anything.

Without greatly spoiling anything, is that really the case? Are there hidden things easy to miss without a guide, or hidden game-changing decisions I should be aware of?

Or should I just gleefully go from map marker to map marker and let stuff happen, knowing I can not really screw this up?

Sivart13
May 18, 2003
I have neglected to come up with a clever title

pmchem posted:

Without greatly spoiling anything, is that really the case? Are there hidden things easy to miss without a guide, or hidden game-changing decisions I should be aware of?
There's a couple side quests off the beaten path, and characters will react slightly differently if you do things in different orders.

But overall it's not like a Fallout 3 in that you're not going to blow up a whole town as an optional side objective. There's things that change the status quo in the world a bit but they're mostly main quests or at the very end.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Sab669 posted:

Six bucks? Shows up as $40 for me...

PC performance seems fine to me, I was playing it on an RTX 2060 + i5 6500, now I'm playing on a 3070 + i9 10850

FPS dropped considerably in Meridian for me quite a bit, which is pretty pathetic considering my new hardware, but otherwise it's been acceptable.

Oh sorry! I live in Malaysia but because all prices list as US$, I thought we didn't have regional pricing but maybe we do!

It's 16 bucks, which makes it eligible for the 10 bucks coupon, ergo, 6 bucks.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf

pmchem posted:

I'm level 15 and just completed "the war-chief's trail" quest.

So far this game seems pretty chill. Basically: everything's on rails with only one real outcome and the map has a million markers so it's impossible to miss anything.

Or should I just gleefully go from map marker to map marker and let stuff happen, knowing I can not really screw this up?

There’s one missable ~~cheevo~~ that requires you to do several side-missions before you start a certain late-game mission, The Looming Shadow. Aside from that, you’re free. Just be careful before selling rare robot hearts, some of them are tradeable for good weapons in Meridian. Also you should prioritise the Hunter’s Lodge quest, since it gives you a couple unique weapons.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Inspector Gesicht posted:

The cauldrons do differ.

Two are dungeons that end with a boss.

One simply houses a major boss.

One has a massive elaborate setpieces involving dinos and bandits.

Do stick around. I recomend cleaning up the base-game side-content before fully engaging the main plot, which is the best part. Getting 100 percent in this game is nowhere near as arduous as a Ubisoft game.

I don't think I've ever 100%'d a single game I've ever owned. I have no compulsion to do that kind of thing. Pretty much just beelined the main plot and had fun :v:

Neat twist with how the story unfolded, but overall I still just wasn't all that interested in the world/lore/story. Combat and hunting robo-dinos is good and cool though, so that's all I care. Game basically feels like "What if Monster Hunter was actually fun".

The last few creatures to add to my codex weren't especially challenging fights even if I did die one or two times, they were just giant bullet sponges but still good. I'm looking forward to new encounters in The Frozen Wilds which I'll probably start tonight.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

game seems ok. main char is very likeable and has good voice acting. I just got into carja land and am level 24 or something. a lot of robots are way stronger than me and any big multi enemy fight turns into a dodge fest and concentration arrows to weak points. I can generally pick them off one by one instead of brawling by exploiting their interest ranges, traps, or cover because the AI is so bad and predictable. but it’s kind of tedious. I think they gave most primary enemies a ranged attack just because otherwise it would be too easy to exploit terrain and shoot from places enemy melee can’t reach.

I’m playing on hard and considering dropping down to normal because the combat just isn’t a ton of... fun? Should I be doing it differently, like rope casting everything?

if tripcasters had unlimited ammo I’d just lay a zillion traps.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

pmchem posted:

game seems ok. main char is very likeable and has good voice acting. I just got into carja land and am level 24 or something. a lot of robots are way stronger than me and any big multi enemy fight turns into a dodge fest and concentration arrows to weak points. I can generally pick them off one by one instead of brawling by exploiting their interest ranges, traps, or cover because the AI is so bad and predictable. but it’s kind of tedious. I think they gave most primary enemies a ranged attack just because otherwise it would be too easy to exploit terrain and shoot from places enemy melee can’t reach.

I’m playing on hard and considering dropping down to normal because the combat just isn’t a ton of... fun? Should I be doing it differently, like rope casting everything?

if tripcasters had unlimited ammo I’d just lay a zillion traps.

You might try Normal, if it becomes too boring in the opposite direction you can always go back. You can lay a total number of tripcaster lines as your max ammo for them, so make sure to upgrade your ammo bag.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

If it feels like the machines are taking too long to kill, chances are there’s an approach that kills them faster and betterer than the one you are using. If you go into the datapoint collection after scanning each machine you’ll get a more detailed breakdown of every weakpoint. There’s usually a canister that can be ignited or vulnerable component that you can freeze + triple arrow for m m m monster damage. You can play on any difficulty you want but a huge part of the fun in this game for me was figuring out the best strategies for taking down the machines and becoming more efficient as time progressed.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

pmchem posted:

I can generally pick them off one by one instead of brawling by exploiting their interest ranges, traps, or cover because the AI is so bad and predictable.

This is by design.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

exquisite tea posted:

If it feels like the machines are taking too long to kill, chances are there’s an approach that kills them faster and betterer than the one you are using. If you go into the datapoint collection after scanning each machine you’ll get a more detailed breakdown of every weakpoint. There’s usually a canister that can be ignited or vulnerable component that you can freeze + triple arrow for m m m monster damage. You can play on any difficulty you want but a huge part of the fun in this game for me was figuring out the best strategies for taking down the machines and becoming more efficient as time progressed.

Certain dudes I just found it nearly impossible to ever target the canisters. Like the Bellowbacks feel like they almost never expose them, and then pulling up your Focus UI making them glow often times makes it harder to figure out where things actually are too.

I was definitely getting better by the end, but wished I got the Triple Arrow much much sooner. Triple Tear just fucks things up.