Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
:siren: Since this is finally leaving Playstation please don't spoil anything for people who are playing this for the first time :siren:

August 7th on Steam and Epic.
Old PS4 thread
Spoiler thread, but like don't spoil this game for yourself
BeforeIPlay.com Tips

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y4St-fv53Q0

PC IMPROVEMENTS / FEATURES

Will Horizon Zero Dawn Complete Edition for PC support higher resolutions than on PS4? Will it support native 4K? 8K?
Horizon Zero Dawn Complete Edition for PC will support multiple resolutions up to native 4k.

Will Horizon Zero Dawn Complete Edition for PC support higher framerates than the PS4 version? Can I play it at 60 FPS? Can I play with an unlocked framerate?
Horizon Zero Dawn Complete Edition for PC support framerates over 30 FPS, providing your PC hardware allows it. We are working hard to make sure the game runs on a variety of hardware specifications.

What are the minimum PC specs I need for Horizon Zero Dawn Complete Edition for PC?
At minimum, you will need an Intel Core i5-2500k @ 3.3 GHz or AMD FX-6300 @ 3.5 GHz CPU, 8 GB of RAM and a Nvidia GeForce GTX 780 (3 GB) or AMD Radeon R9 290 (4GB) graphics card to run Horizon Zero Dawn Complete Edition for PC at the original settings in 1080p at 30 frames per second.

What are the recommended PC specs for Horizon Zero Dawn Complete Edition for PC?
We recommend an Intel Core i7-4770K @ 3.5GHz or an AMD Ryzen 5 1500X @ 3.5GHz CPU, 16 GB of RAM and a Nvidia GeForce GTX 1060 (6 GB) or AMD Radeon RX 480 (4 GB) graphics card to run Horizon Zero Dawn Complete Edition for PC at the original settings in 1080p at 60 frames per second.

Will Horizon Zero Dawn Complete Edition for PC support raytracing?
Horizon Zero Dawn Complete Edition for PC does not offer raytracing support.

Will any of the visual assets—character, machines, environments, etc.—be redone or remastered for the PC port?
The characters, machines and environments in Horizon Zero Dawn for PC are the same as those found in the PS4 version.

Will Horizon Zero Dawn Complete Edition for PC support keyboard and mouse? Can the controls be customized?
Horizon Zero Dawn Complete Edition for PC offers support for keyboard and mouse controls. Some controls can be customized—we’ll have more details soon.

What controllers will Horizon Zero Dawn Complete Edition for PC support?
In addition to keyboard and mouse controls, Horizon Zero Dawn Complete Edition for PC offers support for many other popular controllers on PC, like the DualShock4, Xbox and Steam controllers.

Will I be able to change the field of view?
Horizon Zero Dawn Complete Edition for PC offers the option to change your preferred FOV, up to a maximum of 100 degrees.

Will I be able to adjust anti-aliasing and anisotropic filtering?
Horizon Zero Dawn Complete Edition for PC allows you to choose from several presets for both AA and AF settings.

Will Horizon Zero Dawn Complete Edition for PC support ultrawide monitors with an aspect ratio of 32:9 at 3840x1080 pixels?
Horizon Zero Dawn Complete Edition for PC can be played in 32:9 ultrawide ratio and at a 3840x1080 resolution, if your hardware supports it. Note that cutscenes remain limited to a 16:9 ratio.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Buglord
Reserved for whatever.

Here is a compiled list of things you can try if the game is running poorly/not working for you:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3934360&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=15#post507149845

Again please watch your spoilers.

Saint Freak fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Aug 10, 2020

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice
As someone who got it on PS4 the day it came out, I highly highly recommend this game to my PC friends, and I also highly, highly recommend trying not to spoil any of the story as it's amazing, but how it is revealed over time is a big part of that.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Haven't played Death Stranding. How does the Decima Engine fare next to other current engines? With the sadly-underused but excellent FOX on one end, and Bethesda's ancient Creation on the other.

How is combat against the non-robots?

As someone who has played X amount of Ubisoft sandboxes before, despite knowing how derivative and sterile they are, how does Horizon compare? (After learning how deeply poo poo Ubisoft is I'm never giving them my twenty bucks again)

I hear they upgraded the facial-animations at the time of DLC. Are there still unintentionally funny moments?

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
As an advisory to PC Master Race people, there are currently no other PlayStation exclusives slated to come to PC. As of this writing, as far as anyone knows, this is a one time deal and therefore the sequel MAY NEVER COME TO PC. It's very possible this is all a marketing move to help sell more PS5s so that people get invested and the sequel drops next year exclusively on that.

IF YOU HAVE NO PLANS TO EVER OWN A PS5: be warned, if you're the type to get invested in a franchise, you may never get to play the rest of the games in this series. We just don't know what Sony's current plans are.

That said, this is a great game and the sequel will probably also be great and there are a lot of reasons to get a PS5, so you do you.

Game is good. don't spoil poo poo because seeing people's reactions as the story unfolds is 90% of the joy of this thread, trust us. :allears:

ShadowedFlames
Dec 26, 2009

Shoot this guy in the face.

Fallen Rib

Lumpy posted:

As someone who got it on PS4 the day it came out, I highly highly recommend this game to my PC friends, and I also highly, highly recommend trying not to spoil any of the story as it's amazing, but how it is revealed over time is a big part of that.

Fuzz posted:

Game is good. don't spoil poo poo because seeing people's reactions as the story unfolds is 90% of the joy of this thread, trust us. :allears:

Both of these. Like Lumpy, I also bought this at PS4 launch (pre-ordered, so technically about three months before it launched) and it remains one of my favorite games on the console.

Also seconding Fuzz here. GO IN AS BLIND AS YOU CAN. That can’t be emphasized enough.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Stay the gently caress away from spoilers

This is one of those incredibly rare games that has a story worth experiencing blind, and while opinions differ, I think it's also one of the incredibly rare ones that sticks the landing.

Don't get spoiled. Talk gameplay, stay the gently caress away from general Horizon chatter.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Haven't played Death Stranding. How does the Decima Engine fare next to other current engines? With the sadly-underused but excellent FOX on one end, and Bethesda's ancient Creation on the other.
It's a beautiful engine and the art direction in the game itself makes it look even better. It's an incredible game to play and look at.

quote:

How is combat against the non-robots?
Unremarkable but fine. Most of the fun of combat comes from dismantling the robots piece by piece so combat vs humans is dull compared to that. Combat vs humans is just shooting arrows into their faces and occassionally they give you a gun emplacement to gently caress around with.

quote:

As someone who has played X amount of Ubisoft sandboxes before, despite knowing how derivative and sterile they are, how does Horizon compare? (After learning how deeply poo poo Ubisoft is I'm never giving them my twenty bucks again)
Expect the usual towers to reveal maps, collectables, resources to gather, and various kinds of combat/exploration challenges out in the world, but not so many that you feel like they're taking the place of actual gameplay or that your time is being wasted. The amount of collectables is very low for an open-world game. There are I think four kinds of collectable, there are maybe 20-30 total for each kind, and they all have their own little storyline associated with them. Example: One set of them involves going to places and finding ruined structures and getting vistas from them as they were pre-destruction, and each one has a short little interview/text log that when you put them together shows one family's point of view as the apocalypse begins. It's quite touching.

quote:

I hear they upgraded the facial-animations at the time of DLC. Are there still unintentionally funny moments?
Couldn't tell ya.

Lechtansi
Mar 23, 2004

Item Get
I first played HZD years after release and I don’t remember any wonky facial animations, so I assume they got patched out.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Can't wait to kill some laser raptors with a bow and arrow.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Looking forward to feeling incredibly visceral hatred again

years later and That Moment is still extremely deeply etched in memory - it's all I can do to not talk about it yet :v:

(y'all know what three word phrase i'm thinking of, though)

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Going by the FAQ, this is a pretty good port.

And all these spoiler warnings make me think maybe I shouldn't be reading this thread yet.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Just finished playing through Death Stranding at 2560x1440 on a GTX 1070 with every setting maxed out. Game ran flawlessly with only occasional slowdown during cutscenes where a lot was going on. Didn't have an FPS counter on but I would guess it was 60+ most of the time. The art design is kind of understated in DS but the game looks incredible from a technical standpoint, I would assume it will be the same case here.

My friend kept saying how amazing this game was when it came out on consoles but I couldn't really justify buying a PS4 for it. Glad it's finally coming to PC and that I avoided looking up anything about it.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Hm, what's this game? Oh well, I'll check it out I guess!

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Buglord
The system requirements are updated now -

Horizon Zero Dawn Minimum System Requirements
Processor: Intel Core i5-2500K@3.3GHz or AMD FX 6300@3.5GHz
Memory: 8GB RAM
Graphics: Nvidia GeForce GTX 780 (3 GB) or AMD Radeon R9 290 (4GB)
DirectX: Version 12
Storage: 100 GB available space

Horizon Zero Dawn Recommended System Requirements
Processor: Intel Core i7-4770K@3.5GHz or Ryzen 5 1500X@3.5GHz
Memory: 16GB RAM
Graphics: Nvidia GeForce GTX 1060 (6 GB) or AMD Radeon RX 580 (8GB)
DirectX: Version 12
Storage: 100 GB available space

Womyn Capote
Jul 5, 2004

Is describing the game in any detail considered a spoiler? What kind of game is it? Looks like monster hunter but robots?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

Womyn Capote posted:

Is describing the game in any detail considered a spoiler? What kind of game is it? Looks like monster hunter but robots?

It's an open world action RPG in the same mold as The Witcher 3 and the two most recent Assassin's Creed games. You control one character, you can ride around on a mechanical horse, you pick some junk off the ground, you combine that junk into useful parts, you shoot a bow, you spend some skillpoints, you stealth attack a bad guy, you find quests on the minimap, you talk to people in dialogue trees, you press a button to highlight things in the environment, you climb a tall thing to reveal landmarks. What sets Horizon apart is the inventive and unique machine combat, which is very much in the mold of Monster Hunter, where you scan for weaknesses and use a creative array of primitive weapons to methodically bring the beasts down. Additionally, it also has a memorable and well-written narrative that turns what is on the outset an absurd concept into a believable piece of post-apocalyptic sci-fi.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Womyn Capote posted:

Epic third-person narrative game, much like GoW/TLOU etc. The thing that's really crazy is that they took "lol robot dinosaurs" and hired a dude to write a story for it, and holy poo poo is it the best thing ever.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Buglord
The additional crazy thing about it for me was a bunch of people I only knew for making brown-grey shooters came out of nowhere with their own engine, a colorful dinosaur hunting game that became a flagship title for Playstation, and a partnership with Kojipro and Death Stranding. Like what a trajectory.

Fun fact: apparently the name for the Decima engine came because it is a mix of Guerrilla's (Dutch) and Kojima's (Japanese) efforts, so it is named after Dejima

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Yeah a lot of people like to poo poo on it because it's not exactly like their own favourite RPG that's up to its fifth sequel now, but the fact that this was the first time the devs tried to make anything like this and did so well overall is absolutely impressive.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
im excited

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Normally I'm not one to give a poo poo about cheevs but this game might be the second one I go for 100% for (first being Sekiro). Were there any gnarly ones on the PS4 version?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

The only one from the base game that's kind of out there is to knock down all the Grazer dummies, otherwise it's quite an easy platinum and you can buy maps for the location of every collectible.

However, if they incorporate the PS4 achievements that were added after release (beat the game on NG+, beat the game on Ultra-Hard, all the TFW trophies) then that'll be significantly more work to 100%.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Buglord
You'll probably have to use a guide just to find the one quest line everyone misses (acquired tastes) to get all quests, but that one's worth seeing anyways tbh.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Buglord
Greenman has a code NEW14 at the moment for 14% off new games, which brings Horizon to $43. Looks to be about the best deal right now if you're going to pre-order.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Saint Freak posted:

Greenman has a code NEW14 at the moment for 14% off new games, which brings Horizon to $43. Looks to be about the best deal right now if you're going to pre-order.

Thanks for the heads-up. One of the rare times I can justify preordering (watch there be a 50% off day 1 sale lmao)

Logan 5
Jan 29, 2007

Bash -> To the Cop
Looking forward to this, haven't had a console since the original Wii so seeing a previous exclusive come to PC is wonderful.

Although yeah I hope I don't fall in love with it too much, cause then I might have to get a drat PS5 for the sequel and Demon's Souls. I've been such a stubborn PC-only person that I still haven't played Bloodborne, and we all know how that wait has been.

Saint Freak posted:

Thanks for this, but I don't think that code is active anymore, it comes up invalid in-cart. I haven't used GMG to get anything in ages, but the other code for 10% they have a banner for seems to work (despite saying "offer ends July 3rd" lol)

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

Logan 5 posted:

Thanks for this, but I don't think that code is active anymore, it comes up invalid in-cart. I haven't used GMG to get anything in ages, but the other code for 10% they have a banner for seems to work (despite saying "offer ends July 3rd" lol)

I'm gold level on GMG if anybody wants a voucher for 16% off? I have 5 of them they're good for H:ZD, NBA2k 21, or Destiny 2 Beyond light.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

I don't know if they're redoing any of them for PC, but they didn't do anything to the base game facial animations with the release of the DLC, just that the new dialog in the DLC area is much better animated.

Fun Times!
Dec 26, 2010

Saint Freak posted:

Quoting this to say that the code didn't do anything when I applied it at checkout, but it worked when I clicked the banner advertising the deal on the GMG site. Still no code available but they say emails will get sent out.

Been very excited to play this for a long time! Gonna play with my Xbox One controller rather than m/kb.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Skwirl posted:

I don't know if they're redoing any of them for PC, but they didn't do anything to the base game facial animations with the release of the DLC, just that the new dialog in the DLC area is much better animated.

I'd say they're overanimated.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

exquisite tea posted:

Hm, what's this game? Oh well, I'll check it out I guess!

I hear it has a girl with a bow

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles
One thing I think is maybe worth saying though as a counterpoint to the "you might end up super invested" thing (which is certainly true): the game has an actual ending. It's not something clearly setting up a massive amount of stuff for a sequel, there's certainly hooks that will tie into the next game, but if you play this game and finish it and never play the subsequent games I don't think you'll feel like the ending was in any sense unfulfilling.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
feels weird

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

what a breathtaking story

Kaincypher
Apr 24, 2008
One of my absolute favs in the last few years with the exception of the boss fights, particularly in the DLC. I'm a savvy stealth hunter, don't drop a mecha dino in my lap and act like I'm the punk when it beats my rear end in this zero stealth circular arena.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Stealth is the refuge of the weak.

Kaincypher
Apr 24, 2008

Skwirl posted:

Stealth is the refuge of the weak.

then go full Assassin's Creed or even Dark Souls and give me some combat perks dammit. I need blocks, parries, perfect dodge, not giant metal T-Rex mows down idiot flesh person because that's kinda how physics works kinda BS.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Are we getting preload?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

I'm guessing preload will start tomorrow, when the review embargo ends. Death Stranding had the same release process last month.