Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MonkeyLibFront
Feb 26, 2003
Where's the cake?

Private Speech posted:

Those were rather tiny, the anti-Brexit ones were considerably bigger (not that they achieved much in the end).

Anyway yeah I do think it is a bit prejudiced at least.

Not according to my younger sister who's gone full Piers Corbyn, the people have spoken and masks are for gimps etc and asymptomatic isn't a thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
It looks like i don't qualify for a Costco card besides the online only limited one, not really what I was after. I'm only a 15 minute drive from over so many to load up the car.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
How many Prime Ministers love a bit of pegging?

Tesla was right
Apr 3, 2009

Whats with all the robot sex avatars?

Purple Prince posted:

I am British and - just for comparison - observe the riots in Paris over neoliberal tax reform. Observe also the massive protests in many cities over the government loving murdering people in the US. Now tell me what comparable popular expression of discontent there’s been in the UK since the London riots.

Don't forget that we tore down Colston's statue.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
Winston Churchill is known for a particularly notable pegging.

E: I guess he's known for some other stuff as well

Microplastics fucked around with this message at 13:18 on Dec 16, 2020

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010

crispix posted:

i did not need a mental image of John Major lying on his back, legs akimbo, asking for his man fanny to be punished

quivering man twat thorbal

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Purple Prince
Aug 20, 2011

Tesla was right posted:

Don't forget that we tore down Colston's statue.

I mean, symbolic actions like that are great, but in a sane world the government should be barricaded inside parliament while protestors turn over police cars in parliament square.

This government has murdered hundreds of thousands of its own citizens directly and indirectly in the last decade and it’s set to cause a new magnitude of suffering in the new year, even aside from the deliberately piss-poor measures taken to protect people from COVID-19.

The present government is killing British people for their own profit and that of their friends. In what world is this acceptable? They could be sacrificing children Mayan-style on a giant altar to Moloch in Parliament Square and it feels like 99% of the UK would rationalise it away and do nothing.

Okay, I’m being polemical, but living outside the UK for a while has made my blood boil every time I read about another insane and murderous thing the government does, while nobody reacts.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

crispix posted:

i did not need a mental image of John Major lying on his back, legs akimbo, asking for his man fanny to be punished

Wait so that tape they found in Bottom was real?

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

New rules for Wales:

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2020/dec/16/wales-to-impose-fresh-covid-lockdown-rules-from-christmas-eve

quote:

Hospitality premises, including pubs and restaurants, will close from 6pm on Christmas Day.

Are you loving making GBS threads me. Why is everyone so bad at this.

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

imo Paris & the US are bad examples.

If comparing France & the UK internationally - within Europe at least - France is by far more of an outlier than the UK for protesting at the drop of a hat. Conversely, the US presents a perfect example of the situation when rioting is definitely going to happen - I know we've got the exact same problems, but they're less pronounced, in respect of smaller minorities, without the same domestic legacy issues, and in the US they have much more of a "gently caress u" response from the state rather than a "o no how sad we'll have the IPCC look at it [and do nothing]".

I do agree that the UK is a really loving good example of a state that's unlikely to have civil unrest though. There's decades of massively individualistic politics, a very effective "stiff upper lip"/"Blitz spirit" national myth, strong protections for protesting behind the designated lines/endless e-petitions/colossal wastes of political energy, our Trade Union movement is just folded up into ineffective mainstream politics & mostly representative of middle-class professionals anyway, and our welfare state is (decreasingly) just strong enough to keep most people from wanting to stick their neck out & risk making things worse. Historically, the British State has been really loving good at giving its citizens just enough concessions to make mass civil unrest seem like too much of a risk. Thing is though, it's been so stable for so long that the establishment seem to be forgetting what it historically takes to make things stay that way. If recent trends continue, it probably won't, imo.

Basically, I don't think it has anything to do with Brits being inherently servile or whatever, but we have a stability number of 5 in Twilight Struggle for a reason

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.

Gonzo McFee posted:

How many Prime Ministers love a bit of pegging?

Thatcher loved loving people up the rear end.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

gh0stpinballa posted:

FAO people who do the podcast:

dunno if this is a glitch w castbox or something but i've noticed your newest 2 or 3 episodes will only display until i go to play one, then for some reason they disappear. they aren't in archived or anything either. then, after a couple of days, they will reappear. RSS glitch maybe?

e: After some testing it's either a local issue for you or one with castbox specifically, but castbox has worked okay for us.

Miftan fucked around with this message at 14:07 on Dec 16, 2020

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Purple Prince posted:

I mean, symbolic actions like that are great, but in a sane world the government should be barricaded inside parliament while protestors turn over police cars in parliament square.

This government has murdered hundreds of thousands of its own citizens directly and indirectly in the last decade and it’s set to cause a new magnitude of suffering in the new year, even aside from the deliberately piss-poor measures taken to protect people from COVID-19.

The present government is killing British people for their own profit and that of their friends. In what world is this acceptable? They could be sacrificing children Mayan-style on a giant altar to Moloch in Parliament Square and it feels like 99% of the UK would rationalise it away and do nothing.

Okay, I’m being polemical, but living outside the UK for a while has made my blood boil every time I read about another insane and murderous thing the government does, while nobody reacts.

The people voted for misery. They were given a choice and they chose pain.

Blitz spirit actually means getting rogered by increasingly spiky objects and demanding more despite finding it humiliating and a tad uncomfortable. (No offence to those who enjoy the process, that's not proper Blitz spirit).

Also I recall you bouncing into the thread a year ago crowing about the Tory victory. Guess that went sour quickly eh.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
This is my postal parcel, leaving the UK before brexit happens

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/TastyHighlevelGrassspider-mobile.mp4

Purple Prince
Aug 20, 2011

Z the IVth posted:

Also I recall you bouncing into the thread a year ago crowing about the Tory victory. Guess that went sour quickly eh.

You’re mistaking me with someone else, my reaction to the Tory victory was that the British people once again disappointed my natural optimism, that they should be blamed for whatever happens next, and leaving the country.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
we're so loving evil

https://twitter.com/jasonhickel/status/1338901070047809538?s=20

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
part 2

https://twitter.com/SkyNews/status/1339050969313792000?s=20

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-tW0QqiT2LU

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

More like

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2ohhib

33 loving years and you only need to change the puppets to update it.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Purple Prince posted:

You’re mistaking me with someone else, my reaction to the Tory victory was that the British people once again disappointed my natural optimism, that they should be blamed for whatever happens next, and leaving the country.

Hmm maybe it was another goon with prince in their name. Did you ever have an avatar of a hideous blonde witch?

Purple Prince
Aug 20, 2011

Z the IVth posted:

Hmm maybe it was another goon with prince in their name. Did you ever have an avatar of a hideous blonde witch?

No, I just had a stupid newbie one before I finally found the right Katamari Damacy gif for the username.

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

EULER'VE TO SEE IT VENN SOMEONE CALLS IT THE WRONG THING AND PROVOKES MY WRATH

notaspy posted:

Going to go a little TV IV for a moment.

Just finished Industry and for the first time ever in my TV watching career I have wanted absolutely every single character to fail. Never have I seen characters subjugated to awful behaviour and thought "I don't care".

Also found it very exploitative of a group of young actors at the start of their careers. Having said that I did like the amount of dong on display.

I think the actors did a great job and the characters are supposed to be completely unlikeable because that's exactly what a cesspit the financial industry is.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

namesake posted:

More like

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2ohhib

33 loving years and you only need to change the puppets to update it.

Christ can you imagine if that sketch aired today about the current administration. MI5 would be in the production offices within minutes smashing up hard drives with hammers

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Purple Prince posted:

I am British and - just for comparison - observe the riots in Paris over neoliberal tax reform. Observe also the massive protests in many cities over the government loving murdering people in the US. Now tell me what comparable popular expression of discontent there’s been in the UK since the London riots.

I don't blame you for forgetting since it led nowhere, but there were some of the biggest protests in our history over Brexit.

BalloonFish
Jun 30, 2013

Fun Shoe

Number 34,817 on the list of 'Things That Would Have Toppled A Government 20 Years Ago But Get Handwaved Away Instantly'.

The moment when I realised how things had changed for the worst in that regard was a few years back when the UN published that report into the UK's welfare system, how much suffering and death it was causing and how government policy was locking people in poverty against the UN's human rights declarations that the UK was party to...and it sank out of the media cycle in about 48hrs after the government just called the UN a bunch of do-gooding foreigners sticking their noses in where it doesn't concern them, supported in lockstep by the press lambasting the report for Talking Down Britain (for the tabloids) and writing long think-pieces about how there is no real poverty in Britain because I once saw someone queuing outside the Job Centre who had a smartphone (for the broadsheets), then *poof* no one ever mentioned it again.

(I feel this was before Jo Cox was killed...but that was another moment where I ended up doubting my sanity - "A sitting MP was just assassinated by an extremist and now it's been three days and we're never going to mention it again? Did it actually happen?")

Of course, social democracy can never be tried again because We Had To Go Cap In Hand To The IMF* (always the same phrase, always) but being censured by the UN for human rights abuses and UNICEF handing out food parcels...keep ploughing right on, chaps!

*Taking out half the agreed loan to prop up the pound's exchange rate, all paid back with interest within the same government's term.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Comrade Fakename posted:

I don't blame you for forgetting since it led nowhere, but there were some of the biggest protests in our history over Brexit.

Peaceful protests not riots. For the government to pay attention you gotta break stuff. (Viz: the Poll Tax)

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

feedmegin posted:

Peaceful protests not riots. For the government to pay attention you gotta break stuff. (Viz: the Poll Tax)

Didn't the protesters smash up the Tory HQ a bit or something? Might have been some other time.

Not quite a riot though that's true.

e: Apparently that was during a student protest (and also in 2010 & 2016, drat what did the Tor-, oh, huh)

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Dec 16, 2020

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Yeah a British version of a "huge protest" is something that barely makes the local news.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

BalloonFish posted:

"A sitting MP was just assassinated by an extremist and now it's been three days and we're never going to mention it again? Did it actually happen?"
The only time in history that a sitting MP has been assassinated for reasons unrelated to Irish Home Rule since Spencer Perceval in loving 1812, and it barely created a ripple compared to the calls to bomb Dublin whenever the 'ra put a firecracker in a dustbin.

I suppose some wheels moved behind the scenes because far right groups did start getting proscribed after far too long, but even then it was kind of a "huh, we've spent decades spying on the left to foil their plots to put a banner somewhere and now someone in a select committee is shouting at us" feeling.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

What you're complaining about is basically information overload and the pace of the media cycle - how things that objectively should matter appear and dissapear from conversation quickly because media doesn't report as much as on more trival issues.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

feedmegin posted:

Well, they mentioned the BLM protests in the US too, which were also largely peaceful when the police or nazis (but I repeat myself) weren't beating them up or trying to murder them.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

https://twitter.com/AllyFogg/status/1338882484587683840

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

Julie Burchill is an open white supremacist & a war criminal?!?!?

pass it on

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
https://twitter.com/JonMorter/status/1338927780516536321

Better for Xmas #1 or Brexmas #1?

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Vigil for Virgil posted:

Thatcher loved loving people up the rear end.
Quite the opposite, allegedly.

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...

crispix posted:

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

BizarroAzrael posted:

It looks like i don't qualify for a Costco card besides the online only limited one, not really what I was after. I'm only a 15 minute drive from over so many to load up the car.
If you know anybody that has one see if they’ll bring you along as a guest

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

TACD posted:

If you know anybody that has one see if they’ll bring you along as a guest

Costco aren't letting people in as guests right now.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
Emergency Rations chat:

I just ordered some dried veg from this place: https://www.buywholefoodsonline.co.uk/

Apparently 1kg of dried veg inflates to 2kg or so when rehydrated.

I'm given to understand that - unopened - dried veg lasts for eternity and also retains much of the vitamins etc (except Vit C). I would have bought a 10kg bag but (a) I only have a tiny storage space and (b) as I figure a 1kg bag will last up to 2 weeks (if that is the only veg available), I don't really want to be compelled to use 10kg of dried veg once the bag is opened if the supply chains are restored within a month or two. (Obviously if you have a few in your family, a 10kg bag might be good).

I decided to go 'dried' rather than 'canned' for reasons of storage space and my experience with canned veg to date has not been pleasant - esp Co-Op brand. While this might seem expensive way of getting veg, I do also have a freezer full of frozen cheapo Iceland veg but I'm thinking of when perhaps power cuts might affect frozen food.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

ELECTRONIC OLD MEN RUNNING THE WORLD

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Wait so that tape they found in Bottom was real?

Go A Squad.