Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

oh jay posted:

Heroes Rising is officially out in North America for those who missed it in theatres, what with the global pandemic and all. I'll probably watch it this weekend.
I watched it. The finale is awesome, especially Bakugo shoving his way through that cliff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Good movie IMO

last movie I saw in theaters before The Troubles....................

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Heroes Rising is pretty good. I'm a sucker for team-ups and seeing all of the heroes working together.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

I just don't like that the final fight is just noise and colors

Everything before that was good

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

For me the fight choreography peaked with All Might doing his thing vs the first High End Nomu. They've done for this weird apocalyptic natural disaster aesthetic for Deku's Plus Ultra scenes and it doesn't work for me at all.

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
I liked most of the movie as well but the final fight was basically just a blur of stuff. It was sort of cool but not much of a fight, you know?

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Nakamura isn't exactly subtle with his cuts. I just got my Bluray the other day but I haven't gotten to the end since I popped it in pretty late.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I remember really not liking the final fight. I'll watch it again this weekend, see what I think now.

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

It's shrine maiden, not shrine maid!
The rest of the fights in the movie are snappier and more impactful than the final one, at least in my opinion. It's hard to even keep track of what's going on in the final cut, and for once I wish they'd just use a song that fits the scene instead of going for weird juxtaposition. The other one that comes to mind is Deku vs. Overhaul, and how they used AFO's "theme" for it.

The best fight in the anime, choreography-wise, is definitely Deku vs. Bakugo #2. Deku vs. Gentle could have been up there but I think it suffered a bit for being kind of a B-roll fight. It looked cool as hell in the manga and frankly just "okay" in the anime.

Solanumai fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Oct 30, 2020

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Might U has really good vocals and arrangement but

those lyrics are extremely Written By A Japanese Person.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

New MHA movie teased.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Ooh, I like the new outfits.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

Making Deku look less doofy is good, finally giving Shoto an outfit (if a little generic) is nice, but taking some of the personality from Bakugo? Hmm... I feel mixed.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
I feel like making Bakugou's gauntlets a bit less huge makes sense. I did like his over the top fancy costume that Hori designed for the last popularity poll though in the manga.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
The giant gauntlets store his sweaty boom boom juice.

They should actually have shaped nozzles to help him travel or use them as plasma-knives, though.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
Put him in a stillsuit.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Does anyone know why episodes 77 on of the dub haven’t been posted to Hulu yet? They were supposed to go up on the 24th but I haven’t found any information on what the holdup is.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Jackard posted:

Put him in a stillsuit.
A weapon of choice.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

NieR Occomata posted:

Does anyone know why episodes 77 on of the dub haven’t been posted to Hulu yet? They were supposed to go up on the 24th but I haven’t found any information on what the holdup is.

I just checked my Hulu and it looks like they're going up on the 4th now?

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

The next movie scheduled for summer 2021 in Japan.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Finally got time to watch Heroes Rising.

I liked it until the last third or so. Thought the CG storm and fire looked terrible and out of place. They really didn't need to give the villains their own super modes, especially when they didn't do a great job of explaining their motivations (or giving them names). And the last fight was way too confusing and felt more like a DBZ fight than MHA.

Overall, I think I liked Two Heroes better.

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

It's shrine maiden, not shrine maid!
The end cut of Two Heroes is amazing. It's so weighty and satisfying, I don't think they'll ever top the father-son punch in the movies, but I dare them to try.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Technowolf posted:

(or giving them names).

We got names. Chimera, Slice and Mummy. Also only Chimera got a super mode.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Chimera should have gotten his own movie cause he is cool as hell.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Electric Phantasm posted:

I really think they made him first because he's the only one who got any characterization beyond "is a bad guy".

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Technowolf posted:

I really think they made him first because he's the only one who got any characterization beyond "is a bad guy".

Apparently, Horikoshi included recap art with the DVD release where Tentacole just explodes at Chimera about how he's a whiny rear end in a top hat.

It's pretty great.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
All of the mook villains from Heroes Rising have backstories but they're mostly just kinda hinted at in the preview comic Horikoshi made for the movie.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Electric Phantasm posted:

Too bad he's dead now.

I don't care what the end of the movie says, Todoroki killed him.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Waffleman_ posted:

Too bad he's dead now.

I don't care what the end of the movie says, Todoroki killed him.

It was just a light hibernation.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Cryogenically frozen - he'll be one of the main characters after the 3000-year timeskip

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Vinylshadow posted:

Cryogenically frozen - he'll be one of the main characters after the 3000-year timeskip

The Dr. Stone x MHA crossover

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Technowolf posted:

The Dr. Stone x MHA crossover

It's me. I'm the one who would read this manga.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
So I've been catching up on like a decades worth of anime this month, and so far this has been my favorite? I'm genuinely surprised how much it's hooked me, particularly because the main antagonists kind of suck? There's too much bad guys are just bad because reasons which isn't all that compelling, particularly in Shigaraki's case where he's been setup to take over a legacy but neither he nor the story seems to really know what that is. Anyway, I guess I'll go see if I can find the movies somewhere, now.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
Deku had to learn how to inherit All Night’s legacy while making it his own and not just being a copy. Shigaraki is basically doing the same thing just on a bigger scale. You are correct that he doesn’t quite fully know what he wants be and that’s intentional

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

there wolf posted:

So I've been catching up on like a decades worth of anime this month, and so far this has been my favorite? I'm genuinely surprised how much it's hooked me, particularly because the main antagonists kind of suck? There's too much bad guys are just bad because reasons which isn't all that compelling, particularly in Shigaraki's case where he's been setup to take over a legacy but neither he nor the story seems to really know what that is. Anyway, I guess I'll go see if I can find the movies somewhere, now.

The anime also hasn't covered Shiggy's entire backstory yet and the reasons he's so messed up.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

christmas boots posted:

Deku had to learn how to inherit All Night’s legacy while making it his own and not just being a copy. Shigaraki is basically doing the same thing just on a bigger scale. You are correct that he doesn’t quite fully know what he wants be and that’s intentional

Yeah, but the difference is that All Might and his legacy are pretty well fleshed out, and so having it adds to how Deku develops in light of that.

All For One's is not, and so Shigaraki doesn't get anything from that connection, except some evil-for-evil's-sake motivations that don't really fit his character. He's got a lot of anger for just chaos reigns anarchy, and obviously criticism of the system appeal to him on some level. Was that something All For One inspired in him, or something he thought suited his objective? We don't know because we don't know what All For One was about outside of taking out All Might, which had nothing to do with Shigaraki.

I think they just got tangled up in their own themes a bit too much. They've got two predecessor/successor dynamics already, and just didn't plan or ran out of room to develop the villain one a little more. It doesn't come close to ruining the show, just a small point of needs improvement. Maybe there's some Shoto- Shigaraki connecting over dickhead father-figures in the future.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

The thing I like about shigaraki is he starts as a villain who's just being evil for evil's sake and is really flat, and over the course of the show he's slowly learning how to be a more compelling villain. He straight up goes to deku to ask him "why is stain a better villain than me" and is told "well stain had an ideology and you dont." Like the show is purposefully pointing out that he's kind of a flat villain, its intentional, and the next season he's developing in some other areas. He doesn't really have an ideology yet, but his relationship with the league of villains has progressed from "daddy's thugs who he paid to play nice with me" to "people I trust to act without explicit instructions and who have something of a bond between each other."

I don't think he's really reached "compelling" yet but the direction the story has been taking him I find pretty interesting. Like he isn't a villain the audience engages with but he's learning to become one.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

And, I mean, the fact that Shigaraki doesn't have that much going on in his own right is kind of baked into his character from the outset. There's a reason his character design involves a ton of hands grasping at him as if to bend him to their will, and it's not just because his power involves his hands.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

PV for S5

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a0prGTj4xEY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.
OK, opening this thread and studiously avoiding reading anything other than direct replies to avoid spoilers if I keep going with the show...

I just started the show this morning after having seen it get a ton of positive press over the past few years. I'm only a couple episodes in, but it's not grabbing me yet.

I watched the first few seasons of Naruto during its original run and enjoyed that, and I watched One Punch Man earlier this year and loved that. I feel like this show is a splicing of those two things but with an even younger target demographic and kind of a janky art style.

So my question is: am I misreading the show? For most people who love it, do they love it because of the action or the comedy or the characters or something else? I dunno if it's underwhelming me because it's just not resonating, or because I expected it to be one thing and it's actually something else.