Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
https://twitter.com/Sarma_Aalia/status/1337465282512769025?s=20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

e: different consultation it turns out

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Dec 16, 2020

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

That would be a good troll, though it appears to be sincere so actually just a loving idiot.

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

https://twitter.com/Sarma_Aalia/status/1337466103296126976
Hear me out:
  • Leftism is about seizing control of the means of production
  • Capitalists have access to large swathes of the means of production
  • Therefore,

Borrovan fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Dec 16, 2020

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

'Landlords are often trans' is uh

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

That came up on the IOSM thread recently and it seems to be a piss take of another similar thread about I think leftists and cops.

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Wait so that tape they found in Bottom was real?

John Selwyn Gummer!

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Private Speech posted:

e: different consultation it turns out
Regardless, "independent researcher on male violence against women" has to be the most transparently elaborate way of saying "huge terf/swerf" I've ever seen.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Yeah I... What?

radmonger
Jun 6, 2011

feedmegin posted:

Peaceful protests not riots. For the government to pay attention you gotta break stuff. (Viz: the Poll Tax)

That kind of fails when the thing the government is planning on doing is going to cause more damage than any riot could hope for.

What you gonna say, ‘handle COVID properly or we kill TWO hundred thousand grannies?’ Stop Brexit or we cause TWO trillion of property damage?’

You obviously have some model in your head of a basically benevolent government than can be scared off by threats of behaving bad, like a kid throwing a tantrum. That sounds like terminal liberal brain poisoning to me. The government is not some paternal authority figure; the parts making the bad decisions simply don’t care whether you live or die.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
So peace and violence are out. What’s the new plan?

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Doesn't XR have a Landlord Squad or did I dream that lol

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Yes but XR also has a cop squad so XR is not necessarily the best example to follow.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

novara let some high up XR person do an article on why the bolivian coup was justified because morales was supposedly burning down the amazon and then mostly memory holed it

https://twitter.com/novaramedia/status/1165994143274942465?s=20

Jose fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Dec 16, 2020

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

SpicePro posted:

I was brought up veggie and so have never eaten a 'traditional' christmas dinner, in a way this means there is no real boundaries on what I should be eating like you might normally impose...I have contemplated a christmas style pizza the last few years, maybe roasted veg and stuffing? Potato? Bread sauce and cranberries? My world is limitless!!

I've also just thought about a regular frozen pizza and chips but I don't think my friends would let me.

edit: This is what I'm actually making this year; https://www.deliciouseveryday.com/mushroom-wellington/

Yeah, same here, parents were vegetarian from before I was born so I have never had a "traditional" christmas dinner.

What we've typically had over the years was a sort of vegetarian buffet thing with lots of different foods and nibbles. My Mum used to make a cheese and onion flan almost every year, plus other stuff like veggie sausage rolls, a bean and rice salad thing, then there would be crisps and nuts and twiglets and stuff plus salad veg to go with. Just loads of comfort food really.

My last christmas in the UK we all went round to my brother's house and he and I had both made pizza dough, and used each of our countertop pizza ovens to make like 4 big christmassy pizzas. Chestnuts go really well on pizza.

Previously we also had a "Christmas Pie" as a main. I think it was this one or something very similar:

https://www.deliciousmagazine.co.uk/recipes/butternut-squash-spinach-and-goats-cheese-pie/

Butternut squash, goat's cheese, pine nuts, spinach, garlic, red onions and Moroccan spices. Really decadent and epic enough for a Christmas main IMO.

E:

Re: Broccoli.

OwlFancier posted:

Broccoli is OK but it's not as good as sprouts, and I would rather have cauliflower generally.

Also I haven't quite figured out how to cook it reliably yet.

Jose posted:

You're wildly overcooking your broccoli. Anyways roast it in salt and olive oil after a par boil to get it charred a bit

Miftan posted:

For people who like brocoli, you can actually eat the stalks! They require a bit more cooking but definitely edible.

You're all doing it wrong TBH.

The best way to cook broccoli is to get a nice hot pan (like, 7 out of 10 on your stove settings) with just a little oil (helps if the pan is cast iron or non-stick) and sear it til you get some nice charring. Brings out the flavour, doesn't make it turn to mush like with boiling and it'll even cook the stalks decently.

WhatEvil fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Dec 16, 2020

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

my parents have been making some variant of this for christmas as long as i can remember for any vegetarians who might be there

https://www.veganrecipeclub.org.uk/recipes/chestnut-pat%C3%A9-en-cr%C3%B4ute

Skilbs
Jul 20, 2006

I have fallen behind on the thread and discord in the last couple of weeks so apologies if I missed this being posted earlier, but this video has turned up in my youtube recommendations several times now over the last few days and I feel it is relevant for the thread.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RYsTlfhDSDY

Possibly NSFW as he perversely consumes the beans with his mouth rather than blasting them up his backside as etiquette demands.

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

WhatEvil posted:

https://www.deliciousmagazine.co.uk/recipes/butternut-squash-spinach-and-goats-cheese-pie/

Butternut squash, goat's cheese, pine nuts, spinach, garlic, red onions and Moroccan spices. Really decadent and epic enough for a Christmas main IMO.
I'd forgotten who posted that a couple of years back, I've made it a bunch of times since, it is loving amazing. Thank you, & highly recommended for anyone else.

Second favourite veggie roast is this - not as visually impressive, but it's got the chestnuts & stilton in there for a Christmassey vibe. Last time I made it I converted it into a beetroot wellington (chilli beetroot, obv). Strict upgrade imo

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
https://twitter.com/BBCNews/status/1339205196837236736

Genuinely thought she'd hosed it by just straight up being racist as gently caress with no plausible deniability but no, Screaming "Allah is a paedo" at a young Muslim woman while defending your mate who said he wants to gently caress 14 year olds still gets the "Twitter mob is acting outraged again. :rolleyes:"

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.

Bobby Deluxe posted:

The assumption here is that:

If you are a leftist you have to blindly support trans people no matter what? Even if they have completely corrupt morals completely unrelated to their sexual orientation and gender?

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

radmonger posted:

That kind of fails when the thing the government is planning on doing is going to cause more damage than any riot could hope for.

What you gonna say, ‘handle COVID properly or we kill TWO hundred thousand grannies?’ Stop Brexit or we cause TWO trillion of property damage?’

You obviously have some model in your head of a basically benevolent government than can be scared off by threats of behaving bad, like a kid throwing a tantrum. That sounds like terminal liberal brain poisoning to me. The government is not some paternal authority figure; the parts making the bad decisions simply don’t care whether you live or die.

I mean if a riot REALLY gets going then you get Russia in 1917 or the more recent Middle Eastern revolutions. They sort of have to pay attention when they're being stood up against some decorative brickwork and offered a choice of Camels or Woodbines.

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

Basically, it's not the threat of property damage, or granny killing or w/e. It's the collapse of capitalist society that they're afraid of, & if that's not a realistic possibility then sorry you're not getting anything past the most tokenistic of bullshit

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal

Jose posted:

my parents have been making some variant of this for christmas as long as i can remember for any vegetarians who might be there

https://www.veganrecipeclub.org.uk/recipes/chestnut-pat%C3%A9-en-cr%C3%B4ute

Huh, that's been a regular Christmas dish for my sister and me. We had to institute a 'for vegetarians only' policy so we could have any leftovers on Boxing Day.

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

“The problem with your basic Indian, right, is if he works hard he works hard, and if he don’t - he don’t! They’re all like that.”

“What this country needs is a good war. I was never a soldier but we had the gulf war so we know what it’s like.”

Two things I’ve genuinely heard today from people who apparently have just as much right to an opinion as anyone, crazy as that may seem.

Thanks to those who gave advice about my wife’s brain-wrongs; we had a frank conversation where I told her she doesn’t need an excuse for feeling poo poo, and “just leave me alone” is a perfectly valid answer to me asking if she wants anything. Yesterday she listed the ways in which she’s been feeling poo poo, and then today she helped me wrap presents and cooked dinner and now she’s playing with our daughter in the bath, so a massive improvement from just a few days ago. Thanks dudes!

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The thing about Indians is that they are what they are and aren't what they aren't, very tautological people the Indians. Defined by the things that define them. Essentialized by their essential nature. Unlike other people who aren't what they are, they are something else, or perhaps they are what they aren't, other people exist, or don't exist, in a state of total ontological anarchy.

I've seen the map, it's just India, which exists, and then a conceptual vacuum filled with constantly appearing and disappearing subatomic particles.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Dec 16, 2020

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

the problem with your basic Brit is, if he works hard he's prolly a workshy scrounger on benefits, and if he don't - he's a titan of industry

I can see how you'd struggle to fit immigrants into that paradigm

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

The UK is as likely to change as any other western country, poo poo heads still run countries like France or USA regardless of what people do. Someone posted a clip from the Bed Sitting Room the other day, a film where people wander round a post-apocalyptic landscape acting as if nothing was wrong. This year has shown how people mostly react in a crisis, which is ignore it and even risk your life trying to retain some normalcy - except what they mostly want is to do consumerism without feeling slightly uncomfortable. It seems a lot of people are willing to put up with dog poo poo so long as they can occasionally repeat things that comfort them.

Sanford posted:

Thanks to those who gave advice about my wife’s brain-wrongs; we had a frank conversation where I told her she doesn’t need an excuse for feeling poo poo, and “just leave me alone” is a perfectly valid answer to me asking if she wants anything. Yesterday she listed the ways in which she’s been feeling poo poo, and then today she helped me wrap presents and cooked dinner and now she’s playing with our daughter in the bath, so a massive improvement from just a few days ago. Thanks dudes!

I'm glad :) if memory serves you've not had the best year, so I hope you have a wee break this Christmas

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Gonzo McFee posted:

Genuinely thought she'd hosed it by just straight up being racist as gently caress with no plausible deniability but no, Screaming "Allah is a paedo" at a young Muslim woman while defending your mate who said he wants to gently caress 14 year olds still gets the "Twitter mob is acting outraged again. :rolleyes:"

Any time Rod Liddle get's brought up, I remember the time a football pundit called him out for leaving his wife.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EqjQSk1PQ4o

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

How can you say the people of the british isles are not free spirited.

https://twitter.com/nytimes/status/1339133185490345985

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Jedit posted:

Costco aren't letting people in as guests right now.
The one near us is allowing one instead of two guests per customer, maybe it varies by store?

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

Gonzo McFee posted:

Getting cancelled is actually really good for your career if your career is freelance racism salesperson

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
Just trying to get through my mother's head that she is going to have to choose between being part of my sister's bubble for the xmas thing or my brother's bubble. Mum lives on the English side of the border so that is currently still 3 households, sister is on the Welsh side - 2 households.
Brother is coming over from France to see his 3 sons (England side). Obviously mother wants to see brother as he has to take presents to his sons (who will all be in the same bubble) and also rarely sees mother.

But if she tries to see Brother and Sister AND great-granddaughter (in another bubble) there will be hell to pay and ructions. (Been there done that already twice this year).

She doesn't seem to get that she has to pick one other household to 'bubble' with (as she lives on her own) and that is it - she can't bubble with sister in the morning, brother in the afternoon, great granddaughter in the evening, and a whole different set of 3 the next day.

She keeps trying to block out the discussion and wittering on about 'yes but we're in England'.
I'm just trying to prevent all out warfare next week between sister (on whom my mother depends a fair bit as sister can drive and has a car) and brother's side.

(Brother was originally planning to bring his sons over to stay with mum a few days before returning to France.)

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Dec 16, 2020

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Borrovan posted:

I'd forgotten who posted that a couple of years back, I've made it a bunch of times since, it is loving amazing. Thank you, & highly recommended for anyone else.

Second favourite veggie roast is this - not as visually impressive, but it's got the chestnuts & stilton in there for a Christmassey vibe. Last time I made it I converted it into a beetroot wellington (chilli beetroot, obv). Strict upgrade imo

You're welcome, I'm very happy that others have made it and enjoyed it!

The chestnut en croute recipes you and OwlFancier have posted both look good too, I might try a variation on this this year - typically what I do these days when I make any recipe is look up multiple versions to compare, and often add elements of both anyway, so it's good to have two recommendations for similar things.

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Just trying to get through my mother's head that she is going to have to choose between being part of my sister's bubble for the xmas thing or my brother's bubble. Mum lives on the English side of the border so that is currently still 3 households, sister is on the Welsh side - 2 households.
Brother is coming over from France to see his 3 sons (England side). Obviously mother wants to see brother as he has to take presents to his sons (who will all be in the same bubble) and also rarely sees mother.

But if she tries to see Brother and Sister AND great-granddaughter (in another bubble) there will be hell to pay and ructions. (Been there done that already twice this year).

She doesn't seem to get that she has to pick one other household to 'bubble' with (as she lives on her own) and that is it - she can't bubble with sister in the morning, brother in the afternoon, great granddaughter in the evening, and a whole different set of 3 the next day.

She keeps trying to block out the discussion and wittering on about 'yes but we're in England'.
I'm just trying to prevent all out warfare next week between sister (on whom my mother depends a fair bit as sister can drive and has a car) and brother's side.

(Brother was originally planning to bring his sons over to stay with mum a few days before returning to France.)

I think I already mentioned this but my friend and his family are bubbling over Xmas with his parents, who are also bubbling with his brother's family - a three family bubble. My friend isn't bubbling with his brother, so they can also see his wife's parents, who are also bubbling with her sister's family. Another three family bubble. When pointed out he gets all defensive about the rules being bullshit anyway so he obviously knows it's wrong, but his wife and both sets of grandparents are absolutely adamant that this is fine, and the rules are specifically designed to allow this.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

WhatEvil posted:

You're welcome, I'm very happy that others have made it and enjoyed it!

The chestnut en croute recipes you and OwlFancier have posted both look good too, I might try a variation on this this year - typically what I do these days when I make any recipe is look up multiple versions to compare, and often add elements of both anyway, so it's good to have two recommendations for similar things.

I have not posted any recipes so you may be thinking of someone else :v:

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

I'm beginning to think this bubble thing might have been a bad idea.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

OwlFancier posted:

I have not posted any recipes so you may be thinking of someone else :v:

Feck. Thanks rescinded. It was Jose. Sorry Jose.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Sanford posted:

I think I already mentioned this but my friend and his family are bubbling over Xmas with his parents, who are also bubbling with his brother's family - a three family bubble. My friend isn't bubbling with his brother, so they can also see his wife's parents, who are also bubbling with her sister's family. Another three family bubble. When pointed out he gets all defensive about the rules being bullshit anyway so he obviously knows it's wrong, but his wife and both sets of grandparents are absolutely adamant that this is fine, and the rules are specifically designed to allow this.
Thank goodness the government avoided behavioural fatigue by not doing a proper lockdown back in April, otherwise people wouldn't be taking the rules seriously anymore.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Bobby Deluxe posted:

I agree. So many people don't get it (whether being deliberately obtuse or genuinely don't) and one of my right wing acquaintances is bombling on about how unfair it is that Boris is getting the blame when in fact it is people who are idiots not Boris.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Bobby Deluxe posted:

If I was more conspiritorially minded, I'd roll out the "The confusion is the point" take.

Just saying that making intentionally complex and arcane rules makes it really easy for the government to say "it was all the public's fault" when people die en masse.