Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Chamale posted:

I like games where an orderly situation turns into chaos, with a bunch of moving parts that can get broken. Then you have to either repair the situation, or escape. Some games that do this well include Left 4 Dead, FTL, Project Winter, and the board game Roborally. What are some other games like this?

Lobotomy Corporation, a game about managing a facility storing SCP-esque monstrosities that can (and will) break out, potentially killing several of your employees or making other monsters break out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

Chamale posted:

I like games where an orderly situation turns into chaos, with a bunch of moving parts that can get broken. Then you have to either repair the situation, or escape. Some games that do this well include Left 4 Dead, FTL, Project Winter, and the board game Roborally. What are some other games like this?

Lobotomy Corporation :v:

Edit: I was going to edit this to give a more helpful response, and then noticed the previous post. Efb by a mile, I guess.

Fat Samurai fucked around with this message at 10:58 on Dec 15, 2020

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.

Chamale posted:

Teardown maybe? It's a fully destructible voxel heist game - you have a planning phase, where you can freely walk around the environment, make holes in buildings and plan the most efficient routes, and then you have one minute to actually execute the heist when alarms start blaring and/or the entire map starts burning.

Or maybe something tactical and sneaky like Heat Signature, or Invisible Inc?

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Chamale posted:

Viscera Cleanup Detail :shrek:

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Definitely going to try Lobotomy Corporation, thanks for that!

grate deceiver posted:

Teardown maybe? It's a fully destructible voxel heist game - you have a planning phase, where you can freely walk around the environment, make holes in buildings and plan the most efficient routes, and then you have one minute to actually execute the heist when alarms start blaring and/or the entire map starts burning.

Or maybe something tactical and sneaky like Heat Signature, or Invisible Inc?

I played Teardown and liked it, but I found the later levels boring because they all depend on stealing cars and building staircases.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Chamale posted:

For the love of god, please immediately purchase Heat Signature.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

Leal posted:

Is there a game that would be like satisfactory or factorio but I'm making money, which I use to purchase things to make even more money?

Capitalism 2 or his more grognardier brother, Capitalism Lab.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

Leal posted:

Is there a game that would be like satisfactory or factorio but I'm making money, which I use to purchase things to make even more money?

... cities skylines? In the sense that laying down streets and zoning costs money?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Shine posted:

For the love of god, please immediately purchase Heat Signature.
Agreed.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Leal posted:

Youre looking for tycoon games. Megaqarium, Zoo Tycoon, and OpenTTD being my favs

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

There's also the Anno games that have a similar thing of building an engine to make money so you can build more things.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

Leal posted:

Rise of Industry. You may also get more recommendations in the Management Megathread.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

Chamale posted:

Streets of Rouge - sort of a 2d simplified Dues Ex where you progress through levels of a randomized city completing missions depending on your character (which have a wide range of abilities). You could be an escaped gorilla who punches people through walls but can't talk to humans, you could be a hacker and unlock doors by hacking computer poo poo, be a slum dweller that drinks trashcan whiskey, or a doctor who can't use guns but can poison people in buildings by putting gas in their air conditioners. The characters and factions in the world have their own little alliances and interact with each other, sometimes it can go crazy real fast. If you open all the cells in a jail and all the gangsters bust out they get into a huge hell war with the police, or if you hack the banks and steal their money the city goes into lockdown and killer robots are chasing you shooting rockets which blowup an army barracks and now the soldiers start shooting you and the robot. Plenty of the different classes are less combat oriented, so if poo poo does sideways you need a scapegoat or need to bailout fast.

new Xcom 1 and 2 - yea it's a turn based strategy game, but the best part of it is how it can quickly swing between "killing all the aliens no big deal, this mission is a breeze" to "oh poo poo, well I lost a guy, oh poo poo now another one, this is not looking so good now". Both new Xcom games are great at this. Sometimes a single missed shot can unravel your plans.

Killing Floor 2 - zombie shooter like Left 4 Dead, except it is round based where you earn money and buy new guns with different waves of enemies plus a boss at the end. Maps are more of a freeform defensive deal compared to L4D 'progress through a map to the end' style. Unreal engine game, so it has an insane amount of custom maps. Rounds usually follow the format of Phase1) - everyone sticks together in a spot killing zombies and watching each other's back to Phase2) - people get separated or scattered and slowly picked off as people run for their life Phase3) - final survivors try to clear the last few remaining zombies as everyone cheers them on as spectators.

Barotrauma - Submarine Space Station 13, made for multiplayer with 2-16 friends/randos. Much more complex than We Need to Go Deeper. Early Access, so not complete yet but fun.

We Need to Go Deeper - Submarine Space Station 13, made for coop with 2-4 friends. Less complex than Barotrauma, has a overarching story that you can 'win'. Can be buggy.

Captain Beans fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Dec 15, 2020

thekeeshman
Feb 21, 2007

5thMouseButton posted:

Android games?

Looking for something with tactics and planning, thoughtful, strategic.

No pay to advance, pay to not wait, pay for power, or pay for convenience. A proper mechanics focused game. Thanks!

For a Samsung Galaxy A21

I hear very good things about the Android port of X-Com.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Captain Beans posted:

Streets of Rouge - sort of a 2d simplified Dues Ex

Heh

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

It’s a punk cosmetology sim

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

I shall make everyone look like me! Then when they trick each other, they will say "oh that Coyote, he is the smartest one, he can even trick the great Coyote."

Grimey Drawer

Chinook posted:

It’s a punk cosmetology sim

You have to pay your deus.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Due sex? I'll say!

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Thank you to whoever recommended "My Brother Rabbit". It's perfect.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Maybe Transport Tycoon / OpenTTD?

Tried out openTTD, was fun

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Kind of a broad ask, but I'm looking for games that feel like the world exists with or without the player and you're not supposed to be there. It's a hard feeling to describe but I guess what I'm getting at is the game feels like it is about the world itself and the player is just an unwelcome intruder.

Some good examples would be most of Subnautica, the first part of The Forest, some areas of the Souls series like Ash Lake and Untended Graves, and maybe Outer Wilds.

Ashenai
Oct 5, 2005

You taught me language;
and my profit on't
Is, I know how to curse.

Manager Hoyden posted:

Kind of a broad ask, but I'm looking for games that feel like the world exists with or without the player and you're not supposed to be there. It's a hard feeling to describe but I guess what I'm getting at is the game feels like it is about the world itself and the player is just an unwelcome intruder.

Some good examples would be most of Subnautica, the first part of The Forest, some areas of the Souls series like Ash Lake and Untended Graves, and maybe Outer Wilds.

Kenshi!

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer

Manager Hoyden posted:

That's part of the plot in Chrono Cross but I don't think it's part of the like environment if that makes sense

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Manager Hoyden posted:

I've never felt more unwelcome than in a Silent Hill game.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Manager Hoyden posted:

NEO Scavenger if you can get over the primitive presentation, brutal and ego-crushing little game

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

I've never felt more unwelcome than in a Silent Hill game.

Definitely true.

Also STALKER. The way the different factions and creatures go about their thing also creates a sense that there is a hosed up ecology existing that the player is intruding on.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.
Morrowind

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

NEO Scavenger if you can get over the primitive presentation, brutal and ego-crushing little game
NEO Scavenger is my favorite survival roguelike, end of story, and it sounds like it fits the bill here. Trying to complete the plot is a goddamn meat grinder, though, in a game that will already kill you freely, so I don't blame anyone who just looks up how to do endgame stuff.

This helps, though.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Manager Hoyden posted:

Diaries of a Spaceport Janitor

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Manager Hoyden posted:

Elite Dangerous. The galaxy doesn't give a poo poo about you.

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.

Fruits of the sea posted:

Definitely true.

Also STALKER. The way the different factions and creatures go about their thing also creates a sense that there is a hosed up ecology existing that the player is intruding on.

I would say specifically Shadow of Chernobyl if you are going Stalker for this kind of thing. It has a much more active gameworld than Call of Pripyat. Some people prefer COP and there are arguments to be made there (certainly more polished) but I think it's incontrovertible that SOC has the better and more active open world. COP relies more on specific locations with stuff going on at them, you go there and do the thing and kill the bad guys, and then it's over and empty. SOC has a lot more people and monsters being spawned and just wandering around and living their lives. There may be COP mods that change this.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Manager Hoyden posted:

Insanely Twisted Shadow Planet.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Manager Hoyden posted:

Consortium. I only played for an hour, because it crashed, but you are thrown in the middle of a strange crisis situation and can either lie that you know what you are doing, or tell everyone that you are somehow bodyswapped in to this character you are now controlling. Seemed pretty cool, I should try again.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

Manager Hoyden posted:

Soma? You're thrown into a situation that nobody was expecting and kind of act as a wildcard.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

I occasionally felt like I was snooping in private spaces in Tacoma. Sometimes it felt a bit like exploring a tomb as an archaeologist.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
Well, for the "exploring somewhere you aren't supposed to be" angle, Manifold Garden does that extremely well. It's not really a hostile environment though.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Manager Hoyden posted:

untitled goose game

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Manager Hoyden posted:

Anatomy.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

You mean this? https://kittyhorrorshow.itch.io/anatomy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Manager Hoyden posted:

The Void