Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Ayin posted:

Why is nobody talking about the snowpocalypse that's about to strike the northeast US

My area is currently forecast for 21 inches

ha ha what the gently caress

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

The whole NE is going to get slammed but yeah, nobody’s really talking about it much

Sweeper
Nov 29, 2007
The Joe Buck of Posting
Dinosaur Gum

FlamingLiberal posted:

The whole NE is going to get slammed but yeah, nobody’s really talking about it much

we’re all stuck inside so no one is going to get stuck in traffic or have a snow day, just watching snow fall from the warmth of their pandemic bubble

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
is it really that bad? it’s just a winter storm / nor’easter

we’re due, the last two winters have been warm and sucked, bring it on

Tristesse
Feb 23, 2006

Chasing the dream.
I can't wait, at least it's going to be something different to look at. 2020's been rough, I could use some nice snow.

Anyone wanna talk about the forecasters have no idea wtf? In the last 4 hours I've heard anywhere from it'll just be rain/sleet, to 2 inches of snowfall an hour for a day and a half.

Usually a big snowstorm like this is a problem at work and everyone has to scramble to bring their laptops home and crap but we've been remote so functionally it's another day no matter what happens.

KaptainKrunk
Feb 6, 2006

this winter has been warm as hell too.

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012

Gunshow Poophole posted:

is it really that bad? it’s just a winter storm / nor’easter

we’re due, the last two winters have been warm and sucked, bring it on

This is where I'm at, its been a boring couple winters. This is going to fall over late night so hopefully no one should be out and about. Everyone gets to wake up to a nice snow day. My 4 year old is stoked because he hasn't really ever gotten a big snow storm in living memory.

Tristesse posted:

I can't wait, at least it's going to be something different to look at. 2020's been rough, I could use some nice snow.

Anyone wanna talk about the forecasters have no idea wtf? In the last 4 hours I've heard anywhere from it'll just be rain/sleet, to 2 inches of snowfall an hour for a day and a half.

Usually a big snowstorm like this is a problem at work and everyone has to scramble to bring their laptops home and crap but we've been remote so functionally it's another day no matter what happens.

Don't let working from home ruin a snow day. Tell your boss you cant log on because you have to help neighbors dig out!

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

SpaceCadetBob posted:

This is where I'm at, its been a boring couple winters. This is going to fall over late night so hopefully no one should be out and about. Everyone gets to wake up to a nice snow day. My 4 year old is stoked because he hasn't really ever gotten a big snow storm in living memory.

Don't let working from home ruin a snow day. Tell your boss you cant log on because you have to help neighbors dig out!

(from a cell phone) sorry boss, power's out!

*makes chili and mulls wine*

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

there's a big ol' cyclone about to bend fiji over and gently caress it

https://www.cnn.com/2020/12/15/asia/cyclone-yasa-fiji-zazu-tonga-intl-hnk/index.html

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

what military junta island will slave labor me my artisinal water now

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Ayin posted:

My area is currently forecast for 21 inches

I've taken the liberty of preparing your mom

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

https://twitter.com/waldojaquith/status/1339242968801218564?s=20

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler

Sweeper posted:

we’re all stuck inside so no one is going to get stuck in traffic or have a snow day, just watching snow fall from the warmth of their pandemic bubble

Good news is my school district is closed so I don’t have to shovel my walk for all the teenagers walking past my house to get to the high school. Hell, I can leave my car buried in snow until spring.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

my cat is norris posted:

there's a big ol' cyclone about to bend fiji over and gently caress it

https://www.cnn.com/2020/12/15/asia/cyclone-yasa-fiji-zazu-tonga-intl-hnk/index.html
yikes

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

KaptainKrunk posted:

this winter has been warm as hell too.

So what happens if 21 inches drop and then a few days later it's suddenly 70F?

Dustcat
Jan 26, 2019

HelloSailorSign posted:

snowman holocaust

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

HelloSailorSign posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rasputitsa

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Virginia being below absolute 0 would surprise me. Usually that's Minnesota's/Michigan's Upper Peninsula's job. :v:

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Well we know their datatype now.

It’s a signed sixteen‐bit integer holding tenths of degrees and rounded for display.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Platystemon posted:

Well we know their datatype now.

It’s a signed sixteen‐bit integer holding tenths of degrees and rounded for display.

oh, just ruling out of hand that the reading is incorrect? do you live there or something?

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Completely dismissing the possibility that Charlottesville, VA, is under attack by Mr. Freeze.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Negative fifteen hundred Kelvin would be hotter than any positive temperature.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

I'm in snowy northeast.. and will not be getting any snow.. I"m sad that I wont be getting any I'm a homeowner now and I"m ready.. generator, snowblower.. bring it..
i'll get a dusting.

Dustcat
Jan 26, 2019

Platystemon posted:

Negative fifteen hundred Kelvin would be hotter than any positive temperature.

sounds good i'm gonna try searing my next tuna steak at -1500K

Griz
May 21, 2001

HelloSailorSign posted:

ice jams and flooding

this is normally a slow-moving creek a few inches deep at the bottom of a 6 foot culvert
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UaLgy8bZN-c

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.
I think I'm forecast for like 18"+ here in central ct. Maybe idk that could be old info too. I'm going to go get some gas for the snowblower because I haven't left the house in a week except to go to the liquor store but I guess the driveway being clear is important (this isn't really my decision to make, just following orders)

Ayin
Jan 6, 2010

Have a great day.
I'm so tired :negative:

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Well I've gotten all of six inches of snow here. This Weatherpocalypse stinks!

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012
10 to 11 in western CT. not to shabby considering its still falling.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
Hudson Valley reporting in with 18+ inches still goin wooo

Plow truck goin hog wild in the lot across the street, it's very light so he's going too fast and sliding around turns

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
So one week later I’m posting here again to say we have gotten like four inches of rain since last night and the wind has been absolutely ripping, the power went out at 1;30 and without the sump working our basement flooded minorly for the first time ever

All that snow is gone, and it’s like 60 degrees out.

Merry Christmas I guess!,

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Oh, and the high today is 55, the low is 27. lmao what the gently caress

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012
The fact that we have power this morning after the winds I listened to all night is the real xmas miracle today.

jiffynuts
Jul 6, 2005

It's a-me-a-ha-me-ha

SpaceCadetBob posted:

The fact that we have power this morning after the winds I listened to all night is the real xmas miracle today.

This. I was dreading the power going out last night and somehow through some miracle it stayed on. 🎅🏻

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Taintrunner posted:

Yeah we had 55 and raining on the 24th down to like 29 here. Wacky weather

Ayin
Jan 6, 2010

Have a great day.

Taintrunner posted:

54/19 here :shepface:

It peaked at like 5am and has been going down ever since

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
In SoCal we have had 1 day of rain this winter. Two days of a slight drizzle. What the loving gently caress.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

DoomTrainPhD posted:

In SoCal we have had 1 day of rain this winter. Two days of a slight drizzle. What the loving gently caress.

we're still in the first week of winter

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
Its also gonna rain a bunch tonight

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wolfs
Jul 17, 2001

posted by squid gang

what does the highest air pressure ever mean for Mongolia

https://twitter.com/mikeadcockwx/status/1343688151638945793?s=21