Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

Silver2195 posted:

Spicy take there!

Source: I'm a loving teacher and I'm literallly observing this happening. Thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Sanguinia posted:

It's easy for remote learning to fail when administrators and parents are working hand in hand to actively sabotage it because they'll do literally anything including hurt their own children to make sure theyre getting their free daycare in the classroom.

^this, all of this

I understand that many parents need the school system because it feeds your child and keeps them social, but the sheer amount of whining, active sabotage, and the idiotic protests is mind blowing to me, when our number one goal as educators is to loving educate your kids in a safe environment. The "working class" parent argument falls apart hard when most of the affluent school districts have the worst and Trumpiest parents and administrations. The School Boards are lazy and want to do no real work, and the parents are absolutely monstrous and sabotaging remote learning wherever they can, or completely belligerent about ANY option besides in-person.

The sheer amount of vitriol I have seen directed at teachers by parents, how "lazy" and "cowardly" we are, how "pathetic" and "entitled" we are to not want to risk our lives because I can teach your kid through a computer screen, has seriously made me consider leaving my profession multiple times this year: a profession I had a deep passion for about almost all my life. Then they have the gall to post us as their "unsung heros" in their dumbshit Facebook posts when one of is teaching from their sickbed, or putting up plastic shower curtains to appease their idiocy. This is sometimes a few days after saying that if we "refuse to go to work we shouldn't be payed" in a post sometimes right before that one, unironically.

I'm so sick of this profession being seen as some "noble sacrifice": it's a loving job that I am good at and important to society: pay me more and don't make me risk my life in school shootings and pandemics, or give me a lot of hazard pay. You need me to raise and mentor your kids? Pay and treat me accordingly. We aren't your "Help"

Parents' entitled reaction have damaged Educator-Parent relationships for years in this country, and I don't see it mending anytime soon.

Again, we need anyone who worked with DeVos have their career drawn and quartered, and immediate new policy and incentives to fix this, or we are going to have a massive teacher shortage in the next year

TulliusCicero fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Dec 16, 2020

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

TulliusCicero posted:

Do you have statistics to back this claim up? A lot of teachers and students I have seen and talked to (including myself) have made remote learning work since April. Maybe college professors might be having a hard time, but most college professors aren't very good instructors anyway, because they are not trained in education.

Tangent, but Remote Learning can and does work if you rebuild your curriculum with it in mind. The problem is a lot of the school district and college leadership are lazy and impatient as gently caress, and just tell teachers to "'make it work", with completely unreasonable guidelines by the states that are inflexible, on standards built for in-person learning, by geriatric politicians that haven't been in a classroom since the Beatles were a hot new band.

It's "imagine a huge square peg stuffed into a small round hole, forever"

I really hope we get actually good education policy with Jill Biden being a former educator. I can dream

I recognize this is anecdotal but I struggle with remote learning. I don't know if it's technically a "learning disability" but I struggle with lingering TBI and PTSD symptoms that mimic ADHD and it's very hard for me to get my brain to get fully engaged compared to being in the classroom.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

I know in my district the last six months have been a constant parade of goalpost moves to avoid going back to virtual at literally any cost even as Arizona reaches infection and death levels worse than they were in the fall when we were the GLOBAL epicenter. Its loving sickening. I'm tye only teacher in the school with any kind of physical barriers protecting desks and the only teacher with air filters in a building full of rooms with Windows that don't open. I paid for it all on my own dime. They voted me teacher of the month for my efforts and then sat back and did nothing to make others follow suit even after we got,our first Covid cases and started sending kids and teachers into quarantine.

Also heres a news flash for everyone: the in person instruction isnt doing anything to mitigate all the damage people are whining about because the kids are mentally and emotionally checked out even after,six months of effort to get them back on track, and the parents who were so loving concerned dont give a poo poo about the faxt that theyre failing and not learning anything. Ive been getting barraged with emails demanding makeup work and extra credit to save kids from their Fs because those parents that demanded the schools be opened FOR THE CHILDREN just looked at their kids scores for the first time in week 8 of a 9 week quarter.

Its all a bunch of loving shadow puppetry which would be fine except myself and my family are,being put on the firing line to enable it, and its made me consider walking,out the loving door a half dozen times.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Sanguinia posted:

I know in my district the last six months have been a constant parade of goalpost moves to avoid going back to virtual at literally any cost even as Arizona reaches infection and death levels worse than they were in the fall when we were the GLOBAL epicenter. Its loving sickening. I'm tye only teacher in the school with any kind of physical barriers protecting desks and the only teacher with air filters in a building full of rooms with Windows that don't open. I paid for it all on my own dime. They voted me teacher of the month for my efforts and then sat back and did nothing to make others follow suit even after we got,our first Covid cases and started sending kids and teachers into quarantine.

Also heres a news flash for everyone: the in person instruction isnt doing anything to mitigate all the damage people are whining about because the kids are mentally and emotionally checked out even after,six months of effort to get them back on track, and the parents who were so loving concerned dont give a poo poo about the faxt that theyre failing and not learning anything. Ive been getting barraged with emails demanding makeup work and extra credit to save kids from their Fs because those parents that demanded the schools be opened FOR THE CHILDREN just looked at their kids scores for the first time in week 8 of a 9 week quarter.

Its all a bunch of loving shadow puppetry which would be fine except myself and my family are,being put on the firing line to enable it, and its made me consider walking,out the loving door a half dozen times.

Solidarity, fellow educator friend! :hfive:

Michigan ain't much better: even in the lockdown for everyone else many affluent school districts are insisting on some form of in-person, and like a quarter to 40% of my students feel like they are in rotating quarantines. I'm lucky in that I'm entirely remote atm, but my friends are not so lucky in their districts. My Adult Ed and my HS Students are more concerned about living and working then they are about completing school work, and gently caress if I can blame them.

....But parents and the school board think it's all the teacher's fault that things aren't working, "just try harder" :suicide:

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Yeah, I can add my wife's anecdotal experience to the above. It's accurate to her experience and observations.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

TulliusCicero posted:

Solidarity, fellow educator friend! :hfive:

Michigan ain't much better: even in the lockdown for everyone else many affluent school districts are insisting on some form of in-person, and like a quarter to 40% of my students feel like they are in rotating quarantines. I'm lucky in that I'm entirely remote atm, but my friends are not so lucky in their districts. My Adult Ed and my HS Students are more concerned about living and working then they are about completing school work, and gently caress if I can blame them.

....But parents and the school board think it's all the teacher's fault that things aren't working, "just try harder" :suicide:
Such is the tyranny of the squawking masses :suicide:

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.
Apologies for the potential double post, but what can we draw from the early voting numbers coming out of Georgia so far, if anything?

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

TulliusCicero posted:

Do you have statistics to back this claim up? A lot of teachers and students I have seen and talked to (including myself) have made remote learning work since April. Maybe college professors might be having a hard time, but most college professors aren't very good instructors anyway, because they are not trained in education.

Tangent, but Remote Learning can and does work if you rebuild your curriculum with it in mind. The problem is a lot of the school district and college leadership are lazy and impatient as gently caress, and just tell teachers to "'make it work", with completely unreasonable guidelines by the states that are inflexible, on standards built for in-person learning, by geriatric politicians that haven't been in a classroom since the Beatles were a hot new band.

It's "imagine a huge square peg stuffed into a small round hole, forever"

I really hope we get actually good education policy with Jill Biden being a former educator. I can dream

No one's really trained in education. They're given barebones case studies and crap without much actual application, maybe a few useful actual practice classes, then shunted into student teaching where basically everything is actually learned or not. Teaching should be done like the trades for real, way more gradual on site training rather than the way it is. Ideally student teaching is kind of like that, but in practice that varies a bunch. Plus it's like two loving months lol.

I think the difference is college professors aren't given the same degree of responsibility for their students (since the students are legally or literal adults), plus it's seen as acceptable for them to just lecture for an hour or whatever. And so much emphasis is put on their publishing stuff instead of y'know, teaching. "Publish or perish".

As for remote learning, it fundamentally sucks poo poo but there's not much that can really be done about that. It's really bad for kids with issues focusing and whatnot. I think basically for the most parts kids who were doing fine in person, will do fine out of school (though it's still lovely in like a "this is no substitute for the real thing" way). Those who were not, will struggle big time. Some kids occasionally are a reverse in both directions oddly enough.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Grape posted:

No one's really trained in education. They're given barebones case studies and crap without much actual application, maybe a few useful actual practice classes, then shunted into student teaching where basically everything is actually learned or not. Teaching should be done like the trades for real, way more gradual on site training rather than the way it is. Ideally student teaching is kind of like that, but in practice that varies a bunch. Plus it's like two loving months lol.

I think the difference is college professors aren't given the same degree of responsibility for their students (since the students are legally or literal adults), plus it's seen as acceptable for them to just lecture for an hour or whatever. And so much emphasis is put on their publishing stuff instead of y'know, teaching. "Publish or perish".

As for remote learning, it fundamentally sucks poo poo but there's not much that can really be done about that. It's really bad for kids with issues focusing and whatnot. I think basically for the most parts kids who were doing fine in person, will do fine out of school (though it's still lovely in like a "this is no substitute for the real thing" way). Those who were not, will struggle big time. Some kids occasionally are a reverse in both directions oddly enough.

...2 months? Where are you getting this? I did 2 separate observations that equaled 3 months, and my student teaching was a full year, with the observations and fist half of student teaching having education technique and theory classes on top of it. gently caress me if it had only been 2 months lol

And no, there is not some universal thing that Remote Learning "has to suck". I actually find I have an insane amount of tools to work with with Remote Learning: I can do prerecorded video lectures, I can do live stream discussions with students, we can do group activities, I can screen share with them, I can still socialize with them in a Google classroom or Zoom Call, we can all watch documentaries together, etc., like, it's an insane amount of freedom and ability to innovate.

The only thing really lacking is Classroom Management I guess? And I'm sorry: "Butts in Seats-listen to teacher only" isn't learning; it's compliance. Like yeah I have a few students who goof off or blow off class. Those students are the ones who would do so in an in-person setting anyway. We have been doing Remote Learning on some scale in HS for actual years: it's not even a new concept

This is the problem with the propaganda that has spread so far: "remote learning always fails". It doesn't. You just have to design standards and curriculum around it, and no administration or government body cares enough to try.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/ryanlcooper/status/1339277325985345536

I'm sure a lot of this is strategic on the part of the Biden comms team but if Austin is the guy this article says he is, it's a much better direction for the DoD and an indicator that Biden's foreign policy is going to be measured, dovish towards China, and focused on diplomacy. Some key points
    -Austin was friendly with Beau and a trusted Biden ally
    -Hyper-competent administrator, adroit even in massive bureaucracies
    -Anti China interventionist (in fact the conclusion of the article is that opposition to Austin isn't coming from people worried about generals in that position, but that China hawks want Flournoy)
    -Not big on US interventionism in the Middle East, does not like the Saudis
    -McCain hated him

Again in a better world we'd be putting a clone of Mr. Rogers in charge of the DoD but in this one, he seems like a good pick, general or no.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
If McCain hated him that's a good sign imho.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Sanguinia posted:

It's easy for remote learning to fail when administrators and parents are working hand in hand to actively sabotage it because they'll do literally anything including hurt their own children to make sure theyre getting their free daycare in the classroom.

Uh, hi, as a parent of two remote learners doing everything possible to make this work because I will be good and goddamned my kids are going to school in person while there's a pandemic raging, you're an rear end in a top hat. Kids do not have either the self-control to keep themselves from screwing around online instead of paying attention to class or the self-motivation to get the MOUNDS of homework assigned every day that's supposed to be completed during 'independent learning' without nigh-constant supervision. And that's teenagers, not even grade schoolers, who are way worse. And as someone who's spent entire days in online conferences it is soul sucking to sit and listen to other people talk hour after hour with short breaks in between as a full grown adult, it SUCKS as a method of learning anything. College kids are struggling with online learning, and that has nothing to do with daycare. It is far from optimal for anyone as a main source of education.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.
Austin seems entirely fine but I am not comfortable with continuing the erosion of the line between civilian and military leadership. Surely there must be other candidates that are equally good but have not recently been in the armed forces.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Kaal posted:

Austin seems entirely fine but I am not comfortable with continuing the erosion of the line between civilian and military leadership. Surely there must be other candidates that are equally good but have not recently been in the armed forces.

Undoubtedly, but probably not on the list of people that Biden would nominate.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Oracle posted:

Uh, hi, as a parent of two remote learners doing everything possible to make this work because I will be good and goddamned my kids are going to school in person while there's a pandemic raging, you're an rear end in a top hat. Kids do not have either the self-control to keep themselves from screwing around online instead of paying attention to class or the self-motivation to get the MOUNDS of homework assigned every day that's supposed to be completed during 'independent learning' without nigh-constant supervision. And that's teenagers, not even grade schoolers, who are way worse. And as someone who's spent entire days in online conferences it is soul sucking to sit and listen to other people talk hour after hour with short breaks in between as a full grown adult, it SUCKS as a method of learning anything. College kids are struggling with online learning, and that has nothing to do with daycare. It is far from optimal for anyone as a main source of education.

I sympathize with you honestly: it sucks because no effort was put into building it or even thinking it out

However two things:

1. this is an educator expressing frustration at "'some parents" (not all) and doesn't warrant being called an rear end in a top hat for pointing out fatigue and issues of frustration. We should be your partners in this: we are not your enemy. We want your children to succeed just as much as you do.

2. Yeah Classroom management of kids learning is hard. Now try it with 25-30+ in a room. Every day, 6 times a day and you have to keep them focused and working. Your frustrations are natural with kids, but our primary role is not baby sitting. I agree with you on Grade schoolers though. Best possible option there is a hybrid model, and I honestly don't know what that looks like :shrug:

TulliusCicero fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Dec 16, 2020

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Jaxyon posted:

Undoubtedly, but probably not on the list of people that Biden would nominate.

He was also often a dissenting voice on Obama foreign policy, so for people who were worried about an Obama 3rd term overseas, this doesn't move us in that direction. And it's gotta be better than whatever Trump was doing obviously, Austin is still pretty mad about KSA getting involved in Yemen vs. the Houthis so one would hope the US DoD will stop being so deferential to the House of Saud.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

Oracle posted:

Hang on, let me print up your Not All Parents T-shirt so you can feel even more self righteous telling me what a,piece of poo poo I am for not wanting to die

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

zoux posted:

He was also often a dissenting voice on Obama foreign policy, so for people who were worried about an Obama 3rd term overseas, this doesn't move us in that direction. And it's gotta be better than whatever Trump was doing obviously, Austin is still pretty mad about KSA getting involved in Yemen vs. the Houthis so one would hope the US DoD will stop being so deferential to the House of Saud.

Yeah, and before we have that discussion on whether Biden is a dove or a hawk, I would actually say based on what I've read that's the wrong question. His take was always apparently, "what do we get out of it?" So basically, intervention if he felt there was something to be gained by it, no intervention if it didn't feel like there was anything to be gained. Which seems really stupid and obvious, but apparently does not match exactly to how foreign policy has been approached in modern times. Seems like Biden probably chose someone with that shared sensibility.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

TulliusCicero posted:

And no, there is not some universal thing that Remote Learning "has to suck". I actually find I have an insane amount of tools to work with with Remote Learning: I can do prerecorded video lectures, I can do live stream discussions with students, we can do group activities, I can screen share with them, I can still socialize with them in a Google classroom or Zoom Call, we can all watch documentaries together, etc., like, it's an insane amount of freedom and ability to innovate.

This is the problem with the propaganda that has spread so far: "remote learning always fails". It doesn't. You just have to design standards and curriculum around it, and no administration or government body cares enough to try.

A job as centered around human interaction as teaching is is not going to be up to full potential and life when it's online. Sorry, maybe you're a big time tech type, but not everyone (students included!) sees digital as some awesome wonderland.
The issue isn't whether it's big time inferior or not, the issue is too bad, it is needed. Like all Corona related things like masks and distancing etc.

quote:

The only thing really lacking is Classroom Management I guess? And I'm sorry: "Butts in Seats-listen to teacher only" isn't learning; it's compliance. Like yeah I have a few students who goof off or blow off class. Those students are the ones who would do so in an in-person setting anyway.

Have you really not seen any students who do well in person, and have just collapsed in the transition to online-only?

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.
Not to say that having retired military doing civ jobs isn't an issue but I feel like what's much more dire is the continuing erosion of our lawmakers from educated statesmen to people whose qualifications consist of owning a themed restaurant where all the waiters carry guns. And people seeing absolutely no problem with this because we've all seemingly ceded the notion that people in government should have anything remotely considered relevant knowledge or experience.

-Blackadder- fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Dec 16, 2020

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

-Blackadder- posted:

Not to say that having retired military doing civ jobs isn't an issue but I feel like what's much more dire is the continuing erosion of our lawmakers from educated statesmen to people who's qualifications consist of owning a restaurant where all the waiters carry guns. And people seeing absolutely no problem with this because we've all seemingly ceded the notion that people in government should have anything remotely considered relevant knowledge or experience.

Tom Nichol's whiny but informative book "The death of expertise" has some excellent examples of this. Quick reading too.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Sanguinia posted:

Hang on, let me print up your Not All Parents T-shirt so you can feel even more self righteous telling me what a,piece of poo poo I am for not wanting to die

Nowhere, in her entire post, did she say she wants to force everyone into the classroom right now. You are being an rear end in a top hat for absolutely no reason. You are making an assertion that you are being undermined by parents and administrators, and so remote learning is failing. She's not even denying that! What she's saying is that remote learning is very difficult to do right, even when parents are trying their hardest to make it work. Hell, I've seen this among my own friends, who I know are desperately trying to make remote learning work.

It is a stressful situation for everyone right now. Remote learning is always going to be suboptimal to in-person learning. Part of the learning process is socializing with other kids, which means getting them into schools. Yes, schools do end up spending some of their time babysitting kids. That is part of the reason why we have schools. So parents can go to work, and teachers take care of their kids during the day.

Teaching is hard, and teachers don't get paid nearly enough for everything they do. Most parents are out there trying to make it work because they know that your job is hard. Remote learning is also putting them into an awkward position because they are now being forced to take a much bigger role in their kids' education, while also trying to do their regular day job. You're looking at a bunch of parents, trying to do like 1 and a quarter jobs at the same time, and that quarter of a job is one they are not trained to do. It should not really come as a surprise that a lot of parents really want to get their kids back into the classroom.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Grape posted:

A job as centered around human interaction as teaching is is not going to be up to full potential and life when it's online. Sorry, maybe you're a big time tech type, but not everyone (students included!) sees digital as some awesome wonderland.
The issue isn't whether it's big time inferior or not, the issue is too bad, it is needed. Like all Corona related things like masks and distancing etc.

Have you really not seen any students who do well in person, and have just collapsed in the transition to online-only?

Not really no. I also have a lot more time to reach out to those students and do 1 on 1 atm, so maybe that's why? :shrug:

You have to have really good communication with your students right now, but it's by no means impossible

TulliusCicero fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Dec 16, 2020

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

-Blackadder- posted:

Not to say that having retired military doing civ jobs isn't an issue but I feel like what's much more dire is the continuing erosion of our lawmakers from educated statesmen to people who's qualifications consist of owning a restaurant where all the waiters carry guns. And people seeing absolutely no problem with this because we've all seemingly ceded the notion that people in government should have anything remotely considered relevant knowledge or experience.

Personally I don't see why a dude four years retired from the military is better than whatever Lockmart board member's turn it is, they're just as likely to be as militaristic or authoritarian or whatever as any retired general. Luckily, Austin is both!

crosspost from the Texas thread about an article that made me mad:

https://twitter.com/PatrickSvitek/status/1339304456882692101

I was ready to have a good laugh here as TM took an in depth look at the failings of the Texas Democratic party but this article is a brain dead take. It blames the Democratic loss on "hubris" - but state Ds worked really hard, they didn't loving coast to November. It seems their biggest failure was "believing in polling". A couple of Texas Dem officials made some cocky statements and basically that's what they're blaming the poor performance on. The other reasons they merely allude to are:

quote:

Money from across the country poured in, rained down, inundated the state. Michael Bloomberg donated $2.6 million to the Democratic candidate for the Railroad Commission, a head-scratching investment. The left-wing Working Families party, which is most prominent in New York State, where it has long opposed Bloomberg, mobilized against candidates like Jeff Leach, an ex–tea party Republican in Collin County. It was a blitz, a bewildering barrage.

Are we not supposed to not want this?

quote:

When a party gets like that, it throws caution to the wind and shuns anyone who expresses even mild skepticism toward the party’s messaging or spending priorities.

In one typical statement, offered to paleoconservative Allen West after he was elected chair of the Republican Party of Texas last summer, Texas Democratic party spokesman Abhi Rahman vowed, “We will beat you, your shell of an organization, and your hate-filled rhetoric up and down the ballot in November.” (Cue the rumbling of hooves.)

Ah here it is, forcing orthodox messaging on diverse candidates...no it's because the Texas Democratic party spokesman was mean to absolute psycho war criminal and now secessionist Allen West

quote:

Were it not for that inflated sense of self-assurance, the Democrats might have had a better sense of the trouble ahead. This was the state’s first election without straight-ticket voting, but Democrats were counting on anti-Trump moderates in the suburbs to follow them all the way down the ballot. And because of the pandemic, Democratic candidates weren’t doing much door-knocking, even though it could have been done safely with masks and distancing. As such, many Texans were much likelier to have laid eyes on Republican candidates, who had shown no such reticence.

Yes it turned out that door-knocking was fine but that wasn't clear until deep into the general. Again the two realities here, Dems bet that people wouldn't be comfortable with strangers coming up to their house during a deadly pandemic, but they didn't care (if canvassing was indeed as big a factor as we think it was)

quote:

Meanwhile, though the Democrats’ war chests were sloshing with cash, not everyone saw a piece of it. That money saturated supposedly swing districts in a few parts of the state, while much of Texas, including the Rio Grande Valley, a crucial part of the Texas Democratic coalition, got little attention. Biden’s campaign, the largest statewide effort, never took the state seriously enough to invest.

Wait are Dems stupid for spending money in Texas or is Biden stupid for not spending money in Texas? This is the closest they've come to an actual point, but I'd need to see more spending numbers - and data demonstrating efficacy of that spending - before I'd believe an assertion put forth in this article.

The Texas Democratic party is indeed the bum steer of the year but it's not because they got too big fer their britches. There's a serious conversation to be had about the factionality of regional parties with competing interests, what are reliable voting blocs and what are not, how to court specific constituencies and what kind of approach works where, etc. This article is just sneering at Democrats for thinking that Texas will ever turn blue.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I mean, Ashcroft was not a general and I would say he seemed like more of a hawk? I generally do agree that those things should be separate insofar as possible, but I think it's a mistake to implicitly assume that because somebody's from the military they're more hawkish than someone who was not.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Regarding Texas, didn't every state "believe in polling?" Hence the nightmare that was created by this election?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

TulliusCicero posted:

Regarding Texas, didn't every state "believe in polling?" Hence the nightmare that was created by this election?

Yes, and that's why it's ridiculous to single out the Texas Democrats for that. For those unaware, every loving cycle we have eyes emoji "lol purple Texas this year...unless..." takes and national Dems and pundits start talking about "say what's going on in Texas" and waggling their eyebrows while everyone that lives here is like "yeah right sure blue Texas my rear end" (though the polls this year had us all a little believing - I was pretty close on my Trump/Cornyn margin guess but I also predicted a state house flip which, uh, did not happen). Really the article is more about that dynamic and tsking at Democrats for having the audacity to think they might have a shot in Texas rather than any serious analysis of the myriad of actual critical problems within the party both perennially and this particular cycle.

For example, no mention of the fact that MJ Hegar's primary opponent, a black state senator from Dallas who is a political colossus of DFWs African American voting politician, felt so disrespected by Hegar that he said he wasn't going to vote for her in the general. Big problem this cycle. Nothing really about how weak of a candidate in general Hegar was. Nothing about the constant cycle-to-cycle factionalism and fighting within the Bexar Co. democratic party, which lost a mortal lock state senate seat in '18 because the former party chair was autogolping and you basically had duly elected and shadow party leadership. Oh and the outgoing incumbent that was in that seat in 2018 is currently doing 10 years in federal prison for ripping off a widow in some property scheme involving fake windmills or something. Because of gerrymandering and other factors, what happens in San Antonio has implications on a lot of the border counties, and I gotta think party disfunction had something to do with the, just unbelievable, red swings down there.

zoux fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Dec 16, 2020

DTurtle
Apr 10, 2011

Eric Cantonese posted:

Apologies for the potential double post, but what can we draw from the early voting numbers coming out of Georgia so far, if anything?
Number peeps say:
https://twitter.com/Nate_Cohn/status/1339220369195012099
(It's part of a thread)

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.

Pick posted:

I mean, Ashcroft was not a general and I would say he seemed like more of a hawk? I generally do agree that those things should be separate insofar as possible, but I think it's a mistake to implicitly assume that because somebody's from the military they're more hawkish than someone who was not.

Yeah, in fact I'd even go a step further and suggest it wouldn't be unreasonable for someone from the military to be less likely to get us into the poo poo because they have much more experience and awareness of what that's really like in the real world and a stronger connection to the men and women that would be put in harms way. Rather than the movie version of what military conflict is like that most civilians walk around with in their head. Trump basically gave the military free reign during his entire term, and they didn't start WWIII, in fact they spent a lot of time shutting down crazy poo poo he would try to do.

But regardless, my point was mostly that, while a civilian would be preferable and I understand why things were setup that way (as a possible bulwark against a long history of military leaders taking over governments, etc), giving an important government job to someone who has a high level of actual knowledge, training, and experience in exactly that job doesn't seem like the worst thing in the world right now considering that so many other positions in our government seem to be either based on electing conspiracy theorists and walking internet memes to congress or political appointees's who, as matt calhoun points out, are the typical grifters and power mongers we see every new election cycle.

-Blackadder- fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Dec 16, 2020

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Pick posted:

Yeah, and before we have that discussion on whether Biden is a dove or a hawk, I would actually say based on what I've read that's the wrong question. His take was always apparently, "what do we get out of it?" So basically, intervention if he felt there was something to be gained by it, no intervention if it didn't feel like there was anything to be gained. Which seems really stupid and obvious, but apparently does not match exactly to how foreign policy has been approached in modern times. Seems like Biden probably chose someone with that shared sensibility.

I mean, US foreign policy in the 21st century has been defined by the neoconservatives, whose stated goal was to ensure that US military reach extended across the globe. Bush/Cheney established this, Obama gleefully continued it, and Trump was just "this is how it is, right?" From a neocon perspective, what the US gets out of basically any intervention is to remind the rest of the world who's boss.

So I'm curious what Biden meant by that, and how cynical he was about it. Whether it was "what do we get from a strategic perspective", "what do we get from a soft power/reputation perspective", or "does this actually make the world a better place"

SpitztheGreat
Jul 20, 2005

If we lose a high turnout election in January, so be it. I can live with that even though I'll be disappointed. Georgia is still a tough nut for us, just like Virginia wasn't a done deal after 2008. We probably need everything to break out way in Georgia to win the Senate races. The hope is that by 2024 it continues to go in the same direction as Virginia. But this year, I would still call it a Hail-Mary.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

Lead out in cuffs posted:

I mean, US foreign policy in the 21st century has been defined by the neoconservatives, whose stated goal was to ensure that US military reach extended across the globe. Bush/Cheney established this, Obama gleefully continued it, and Trump was just "this is how it is, right?" From a neocon perspective, what the US gets out of basically any intervention is to remind the rest of the world who's boss.

I'd say Trump's foreign policy was more "People think my dick is small, so I'm going to threaten this other country until they think otherwise, then walk away with peace terms favorable to that country, so people will think I'm actually a shrewd negotiator"

DeeplyConcerned
Apr 29, 2008

I can fit 3 whole bud light cans now, ask me how!

SpitztheGreat posted:

If we lose a high turnout election in January, so be it. I can live with that even though I'll be disappointed. Georgia is still a tough nut for us, just like Virginia wasn't a done deal after 2008. We probably need everything to break out way in Georgia to win the Senate races. The hope is that by 2024 it continues to go in the same direction as Virginia. But this year, I would still call it a Hail-Mary.

Today was lovely weather wise in the city. Could have suppressed turnout. But yeah this one is going to be balls to the wall

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
https://twitter.com/Redistrict/status/1339314214209515524?s=20

Strikingly little splittery.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Denis McDonough was considered an odd choice for VA as he's not a veteran. However, the Pod Save America guys say he's the hardest-working and most competent person they've ever met. Maybe he can un-gently caress the VA? Even a little? :shrug:

But what we also know is he was an early Biden supporter; here's what he said in his local paper as an early endorsement.

quote:

At the Obama White House National Security Council during the entire first term of the Obama Administration and then as White House Chief of Staff for the entire second term, I worked closely with Joe Biden. During that time, he built a strong working partnership with President Obama, unique in the history of the American presidency. In what he did – and importantly how he did it – he demonstrated not just why the president trusted him to take on tough assignments but why he will be an excellent president.

In the White House years, what Biden did was impressive. He routinely took the hardest assignments, as is clear from just these four examples.

In 2009, he led the successful effort to oversee how the billions of dollars in stimulus was spent, ensuring it was on jobs and infrastructure and sparking the economic comeback from the deepest recession since the Great Depression.

In 2010 he led the successful effort to get the Senate to ratify the New START arms control treaty with Russia, something that required 67 votes, meaning support from Democrats and Republicans.

In 2013, in the aftermath of the horrendous Sandy Hook school shooting and after Congress refused to enact even stronger background checks, Biden led efforts to take on the gun lobby and improve gun background checks and narrow the gun-show loophole using existing executive authority.

And in 2016, Biden led President Obama’s charge to advance cancer prevention, detection and treatment in the Cancer Moonshot, leading to, among other things, Congress passing the 21st Century Cures Act in December 2016 that authorized $1.8 billion for the Cancer Moonshot over seven years.

What he did was important, but how he did it – how he makes decisions – was even more so.

In his decision-making he’s always open to new ideas, not driven by ideology but by results, science and data. On national security he seeks out the opinions of experienced military, diplomatic and intelligence professionals, trusting their experience and welcoming their input even – or maybe especially – when they disagree.

It is this decision-making and thought process – on the hardest issues and in the most high-pressure situations – that lead the people who work most closely with Vice President Biden to value him and his leadership most strongly. And that is the kind of president the United States needs now.

Short and to the point, I guess!

DTurtle
Apr 10, 2011

Pick posted:

Strikingly little splittery.
I saw those posts as well and I think it is quite good to know. However, before feeling really comfortable going with that argument, I would be REALLY interested in looking if that also holds true for state legislative\local races as well.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Biden's actually headed back to Stephen Colbert's The Late Show tomorrow, which seems a little bit of a meager fruit compared to what he's able to book now as confirmed president-elect. However, Colbert has been a pretty consistent advocate (far more so than Stewart, who flat-out said he preferred Sanders and Warren). In fact, I think of Biden's five (!) previous appearances on TLS, he strongly encouraged Biden to run at least twice. My main points would be that Biden is not neglecting the popular media circuit and secondly, this is probably somewhat of a reward for the only real "pop" news media figure who was strongly in his corner. Colbert by a variety of accounts is very fond of Biden specifically.

Here's a couple of them:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=opVaEC_WxWs&t=2s
(continues automatically to Part 2)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ls31TkGSQGA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MgutpMLbPt4

It does seem like his loyalty to allies extends to media personalities. Probably a pretty good move to shore up these people even though he's obviously got a lot on his plate.

Pick fucked around with this message at 07:26 on Dec 17, 2020

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Isn't Colbert the most watched late show host (by some metric)? He's not Anderson Cooper, but he's probably a pretty safe avenue to appeal to younger people (relative to Biden's own age at least). And the Colbert interview with uncle Joe about grief probably did help cement his image quite a bit as a relatable, genuine figure to the casual viewer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Rappaport posted:

Isn't Colbert the most watched late show host (by some metric)? He's not Anderson Cooper, but he's probably a pretty safe avenue to appeal to younger people (relative to Biden's own age at least). And the Colbert interview with uncle Joe about grief probably did help cement his image quite a bit as a relatable, genuine figure to the casual viewer.

speaking of Anderson Cooper (forgive the segue), don't sleep on his interview with Stephen Colbert

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YB46h1koicQ

I mention this in part because apparently this is part of how Biden related very quickly to Colbert and endeared himself.