Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

Basically the ask is something like how combat drones work now, but automatically deployable within the existing systems, or in a new way which doesn't conflict with or grate on the existing systems.

Spidertron patrol path automation isn't enough, because it requires updating patrol paths once a path has been cleared; otherwise I'd say an upgraded drone-carrier Spidertron, or another vehicle running on the same path stuff. Seems like a way to detect and weigh spawner density, and then send updated waypoints to a Spidertron-alogue is the most straightforward way to accomplish that.

Since I haven't seen any discussion about mods which do something like this, my guess is that it's not easy.

There was a mod, I honestly think years ago is the last time I can remember it being discussed, which allowed you to manufacture and deploy "army drones," which basically would rally until some Biter-AI-sourced strength limit was reached and then clusterfuck around in a big wodge along a path you set; the idea was to spend huge amounts of resources sending wave after wave of your own killbots at the bases until eventually you come back to find a thousand of these things on patrol and set them a path a little further out. It was deeply janky, used an improbable amount of CPU time, and tended to send drones out one at a time after the initial group on a path departed, leading to a series of lone suicides after the initial pack was wiped out when it did actually work sort of correctly. It might have just been called Drone Army or Army Drones or something, it was a very basic and self-descriptive title.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

neogeo0823 posted:

Go to the logical conclusion. Give us a way to capture, pacify, and install biters into machines that allow us to harvest something from them that's vital to research. Maybe it could unlock a tech path that allows us to domesticate and train the biters to see our base as their nest and protect it accordingly. I, for one, would find it very fun to train up an army of insectoid guard dogs and unleash them upon their former comrades in glorious masse combat.
Tame biters and let you ride them or use them as living transport drones. :)

Naylenas
Sep 11, 2003

I was out of my head so it was out of my hands

Let me set up logistic spidertrons lugging huge caterpillar bins full of items

RabbitWizard
Oct 21, 2008

Muldoon

LonsomeSon posted:

Since I haven't seen any discussion about mods which do something like this, my guess is that it's not easy.

https://mods.factorio.com/mod/aai-programmable-vehicles

Basically, the AAI mods from Earendel

I tried that thing once and in theory you can scan areas for biters and automatically send vehicles there. I managed to scan for resources in a small area and send mining vehicles, but it was very, very fiddly.
Patrol paths may be easier and the mod says it works with vanilla vehicles.

Xaintrailles
Aug 14, 2015

:hellyeah::histdowns:
Figuring out I could use the bot system to sit in my base and automatically construct and supply huge lines of artillery forts across the map was probably my favourite moment of the game.
That said, the endgame weapon should be nuclear-armed long range cruise missiles.

Xaintrailles fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Dec 15, 2020

Lorem ipsum
Sep 25, 2007
IF I REPORT SOMETHING, BAN ME.

RabbitWizard posted:

https://mods.factorio.com/mod/aai-programmable-vehicles

Basically, the AAI mods from Earendel

I tried that thing once and in theory you can scan areas for biters and automatically send vehicles there. I managed to scan for resources in a small area and send mining vehicles, but it was very, very fiddly.
Patrol paths may be easier and the mod says it works with vanilla vehicles.

I made a seek and destroy circuit with AAI that dispatched vehicles to kill biters, but even with a really slow polling rate, it absolutely murders multiplayer servers. Works fine in SP, just be careful with this mod.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Weird to slowly migrate to remote smelting and have the factory visibly stop at times. I know it's what it was already doing in terms of throughput, but having the same copper supply compressed to plate trains instead of ore trains means intervals of full production instead of constant slower production.

And of course I already probably haven't future proofed enough, 4-train stacker and then promptly ran out of room, oops

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

I like the idea of semi mobile smelting operations based around resource patches, but I still need iron ore for various brick recipes.

So I just can't bring myself to do it for iron. I always just set up a huge iron plate smelter, and then also a huge steel mill. Usually the steel mill smelts its' own iron ore as well, so as not to put a huge drain on the iron smelter.

This requires a lot of iron mining outposts and a lot of trains, but I enjoy setting that up. So this is fine.

Uranium as well, there's too much infrastructure needed to just uproot that and plunk it down somewhere else.

So I guess it works fine for copper.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
You could have an in-place operation if you find a stone and iron ore patch close together, then you aren't shipping in one or the other. :v:

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Slung Blade posted:

I like the idea of semi mobile smelting operations based around resource patches, but I still need iron ore for various brick recipes.

So I just can't bring myself to do it for iron. I always just set up a huge iron plate smelter, and then also a huge steel mill. Usually the steel mill smelts its' own iron ore as well, so as not to put a huge drain on the iron smelter.

This requires a lot of iron mining outposts and a lot of trains, but I enjoy setting that up. So this is fine.

Uranium as well, there's too much infrastructure needed to just uproot that and plunk it down somewhere else.

So I guess it works fine for copper.

I tend to play with biters off, and thus I also tend to set up remote smelting operations. Space is basically infinite so I just mine into the smelters right there, then train the plates to whatever needs them.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Yeah, I'm just moving my copper remote. I'll probably end up with multiple smelting outposts for throughput reasons. Now that I've removed the old copper smelting array I can expand the iron one, but I'm also already basically capping out my bus since I don't use nearly as much iron as I do copper.

deltah
Sep 28, 2012

Slung Blade posted:

this ended up being the "fun" part to me -- loving around with combinators and smart builder trains to make outposts easy to automate. get out there, plop down a station, blueprint some miners / smelters and then the train arrives, deposit bots, and builds it all. I never got around to building the appropriate garbage train mechanics so I just have husks of mining + smelting laying around....

... but not that many because, for me at least, I can only chew through like 2 or 3 patches of each type before mining productivity kicks in and I get bored.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
I've started a new game recently, with a few mods that change early gameplay (Glass, Superheating and a custom version of Titanium), and I'm noticing is that this makes steel production stand out a lot more as being, well, boring.
How can I make it less "iron, but again"?

I've been thinking about adding a recipe that takes iron ore, stone and coal to make "fluxed iron ore" that smelts directly to steel, does that appeal to anyone else?
Unfortunately Factorio doesn't support furnace recipes with multiple ingredients (they were removed some time ago as an optimisation to reduce recipe search overhead), so it'd have to be crafted in assemblers before smelting.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

GotLag posted:

I've started a new game recently, with a few mods that change early gameplay (Glass, Superheating and a custom version of Titanium), and I'm noticing is that this makes steel production stand out a lot more as being, well, boring.

I've been thinking about adding a recipe that takes iron ore, stone and coal to make "fluxed iron ore" that smelts directly to steel, does that appeal to anyone else?
Unfortunately Factorio doesn't support furnace recipes with multiple ingredients (they were removed some time ago as an optimisation to reduce recipe search overhead), so it'd have to be crafted in assemblers before smelting.

Unfortunately all my alternate thoughts would require steel precursors, which makes that rather more difficult. Possibly a bootstrap stage first, less efficient but functional to start, like basic oil processing for oil. That aside, here's a weirder question - they can't have multiple ingredients, but can fuel come from multiple sources? Idly pondering the mechanics of an electric arc furnace for Factorio. They work on reduced iron, and that's a direct treatment of iron ore with a reducing gas. The real thing uses carbon monoxide or hydrogen, but I believe there are sulfur compounds that do it too. React the iron ore and gas in an assembler, send it to an arc furnace, run it off electricity. Here's where the dual fuel comes in - if you were able to have a material fuel that this specific furnace *always* uses, in addition to the electricity, would that get around the ingredient barrier? If so, could have an electrode or something of the sort made with coal and copper (or whatever) as a consumable part for logistics.

I'm just spitballing, I don't know the exact modding mechanics and I don't use mods to know what others have done. Doesn't solve the early game method but gives a potential later game one that's more interesting to set up.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Krastorio has smelting with multiple ingredients (like steel = iron + coke, or the vulcanite stuff if you use Space Exploration as well), but you also need to manually select all smelting recipes, which might be a workaround for the recipe search problem.
There's precursor recipes as well, so you can either directly smelt the ores, or turn them into enriched ore in chemical plants and smelt that, for more plates per ore.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Internally, a furnace in Factorio is just an assembling machine that chooses its recipe automatically based on what is in its input inventory, so those Krastorio furnaces are assemblers.

I don't want to modify the existing furnaces so I'll settle for crafting the precursor in assembling machines and then smelting that.

FnF
Apr 10, 2008

GotLag posted:

This sounds like a good mod idea. In my previous game, I was actually using the DoubleFurnace mod and deliberately using the Steel Double Furnace and feeding it coal (not solid fuel or other fuels). This worked pretty well, but still felt a little bit "not quite right". So if you can improve on that, sign me up!

Personally, I'd be put off from it if it was visually using assemblers to do any high-temp or chemical parts of the ore -> steel chain - that's what furnaces & chemical plants are for! But it sounds like that might not be possible?

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Taconite released, feedback welcome

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

GotLag posted:

Internally, a furnace in Factorio is just an assembling machine that chooses its recipe automatically based on what is in its input inventory, so those Krastorio furnaces are assemblers.

I don't want to modify the existing furnaces so I'll settle for crafting the precursor in assembling machines and then smelting that.

You could make an assembler recipe that takes iron plate and coal to make steel bars. In an actual steel mill, the steel would get cast into big thick billets before being reheated (usually) and rolled out on a series of stands.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Making modules en masse takes soooo many green circuits... I need more copper...

echo465
Jun 3, 2007
I like ice cream

Steakandchips posted:

Making modules en masse takes soooo many green circuits... I need more copper...

But mining more copper takes more power....

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

echo465 posted:

But mining more copper takes more power....

Ah, but more power requires more copper, and/or prod modules to reduce the costs. The vicious cycle strikes!

I'm at the "more power" stage currently, working on a reactor that looks less like a drunken octopus.

Wallrod
Sep 27, 2004
Stupid Baby Picture
I'm slowly working towards a fully rail-grid based botbase from a slightly bodged endgame bus base, and significantly overbuilt my copper and iron production.... it's really satisfying to have a stacker of full plate trains ready to dump anywhere. I'm dreading figuring out whether to transport or produce certain science ingredients on-site, though. And naturally i should have picked a better grid size to prevent bot areas from connecting. It wouldn't be a large project without stupid technical debt OH WELL

It's also a strange feeling having 3+ gigawatts of power going directly to beacons.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

GotLag posted:

I'd like to request a companion mod, Taco Night, where you make delicious tacos instead of steel.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

Dirk the Average posted:

I'd like to request a companion mod, Taco Night, where you make delicious tacos instead of steel.

Me too, and now I'm envisaging an Overcooked-themed total conversion mod where you harvest meats and milk from various animals and set up automated farming crops to pick vegetables as you make an enormous automated kitchen. Milk can be used to make thickshakes or turned into cheese that can later be sliced as a burger component, and has a chance to produce a spoiled product until you research and implement pasteurization. Furnaces become ovens, and the inclusion of Timed Inserters allows you to determine whether a bit of steak is rare, medium, or well-done, making belt blockages an important concern.

Call it 50 Billion Served, and make that the endgame goal.

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Now you know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun, but this morning we just don't have time for mucking about.

GotLag posted:

From a realism standpoint, should probably be 2 iron, 2 coal and 1 stone. Maybe even 5:4:1, and makes 2 steel. Game design wise, 3:1:1 or 8:1:1 would play nicer with base expectations from an input standpoint while still making it a different problem than normal.

Unreal_One fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Dec 16, 2020

Fishbus
Aug 30, 2006

"Stuck in an RPG Pro-Tour"

Breetai posted:

Me too, and now I'm envisaging an Overcooked-themed total conversion mod where you harvest meats and milk from various animals and set up automated farming crops to pick vegetables as you make an enormous automated kitchen. Milk can be used to make thickshakes or turned into cheese that can later be sliced as a burger component, and has a chance to produce a spoiled product until you research and implement pasteurization. Furnaces become ovens, and the inclusion of Timed Inserters allows you to determine whether a bit of steak is rare, medium, or well-done, making belt blockages an important concern.

Call it 50 Billion Served, and make that the endgame goal.

you have to feed biters, so there's a reason to expand to find more of them

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

Fishbus posted:

Will you use the burger launcher? Or the rapid fire nugget gun?

a starchy tuber
Sep 9, 2002

hi yes I'm very normal

Fishbus posted:

Instead of attacking you, they swarm around and beg for food, making themselves a nuisance. I love this idea.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Unreal_One posted:

From a realism standpoint, should probably be 2 iron, 2 coal and 1 stone. Maybe even 5:4:1, and makes 2 steel. Game design wise, 3:1:1 or 8:1:1 would play nicer with base expectations from an input standpoint while still making it a different problem than normal.

Thanks for the feedback, I'll switch it to up the coal and drop the stone. That should move raw resource usage a little closer back to vanilla as well.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

You want to to factorio into a minecrafty stardew valley? Completely unacceptable, this game is about industry and pollution and steel, get the gently caress out of here with your goddamn lieberal food products.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

Pryor on Fire posted:

You want to to factorio into a minecrafty stardew valley? Completely unacceptable, this game is about industry and pollution and steel, get the gently caress out of here with your goddamn lieberal food products.

Someone's hangry.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

Pryor on Fire posted:

Relax as the Gourmand Positioning System takes the load off of your feet, and allow the Feed Armature to enter your passages. Pressures are carefully modulated to provide Maximal Fill without significant compromise of Gourmand physical integrity, in some cases!

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

GotLag posted:

I was wondering why this wasn't showing up in the mod browser then I realized I hadn't updated to 1.1 yet. Dumb on my part

Playing around with it in sandbox the crafting time feels very slow on the Taconite. Set up some smelter banks and I feel that contrary to the current recipe the crafting time should be 0.5s rather than 4s. Ratios it down so that if you have the resources you can fill a yellow belt to your smelters with 10 blue assemblers, which nicely compacts the whole ordeal and makes it feel like a huge upgrade from stock. Yellow belt of steel is a lot early game but doing a 5:1 belt compression is worth the complexity and extra step to set it up so you don't just have 600 entity smelter arrays

Fishbus
Aug 30, 2006

"Stuck in an RPG Pro-Tour"

LonsomeSon posted:

Relax as the Gourmand Positioning System takes the load off of your feet, and allow the Feed Armature to enter your passages. Pressures are carefully modulated to provide Maximal Fill without significant compromise of Gourmand physical integrity, in some cases!

Who said this farming business can't be horribly evil...

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
Harvest biter meat.

Feed to biters.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

The feedlot must expand in order to meet the demands of the growing feedlot

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Dirk the Average posted:

Oddly enough, Taco Bell just revamped their menu and removed all items that are not made out of pellets of ore, coal and flux

Clark Nova fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Dec 17, 2020

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Unreal_One posted:

M_Gargantua posted:

I was wondering why this wasn't showing up in the mod browser then I realized I hadn't updated to 1.1 yet. Dumb on my part

Playing around with it in sandbox the crafting time feels very slow on the Taconite. Set up some smelter banks and I feel that contrary to the current recipe the crafting time should be 0.5s rather than 4s. Ratios it down so that if you have the resources you can fill a yellow belt to your smelters with 10 blue assemblers, which nicely compacts the whole ordeal and makes it feel like a huge upgrade from stock. Yellow belt of steel is a lot early game but doing a 5:1 belt compression is worth the complexity and extra step to set it up so you don't just have 600 entity smelter arrays

Updated based on this feedback, thank you. Recipe is now 2:2:1 coal:iron:stone, and pellet crafting time has reverted to the default 0.5 seconds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RabbitWizard
Oct 21, 2008

Muldoon

Breetai posted:

Will you use the burger launcher? Or the rapid fire nugget gun?