Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Umbra Dubium
Nov 23, 2007

The British Empire was built on cups of tea, and if you think I'm going into battle without one, you're sorely mistaken!

Surely they get that if you leave the bubble it pops and then it isn't a bubble any more?

Of course, I think the best point to make is that viruses don't give a poo poo about your rules lawyering, we're trying to keep you alive for gently caress's sake.

Using gentler language than that, of course.

Edit: Hello page 91, the atomic number of Proactinium. Someone please post their proactinic cat. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

If I was more conspiritorially minded, I'd roll out the "The confusion is the point" take.

Just saying that making intentionally complex and arcane rules makes it really easy for the government to say "it was all the public's fault" when people die en masse.

I mean that’s pretty obviously been the case for over 6 months now

gh0stpinballa
Mar 5, 2019

can it be called a deep state when it's right there on the surface

https://twitter.com/BBCNews/status/1339298350475186184?s=19

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Umbra Dubium posted:

Surely they get that if you leave the bubble it pops and then it isn't a bubble any more?

Of course, I think the best point to make is that viruses don't give a poo poo about your rules lawyering, we're trying to keep you alive for gently caress's sake.

Using gentler language than that, of course.

Edit: Hello page 91, the atomic number of Proactinium. Someone please post their proactinic cat. :)

That 'we're trying to keep you alive' isn't working on my mum, she's been going on at my sister 'stop trying to protect me' and finding all sorts of reasons why she's exempt. So I said to my sister 'stop putting it in those terms - put in terms of 'we're protecting US'. (Various health issues her and her husband etc so not unimportant!)

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

OwlFancier posted:

How can you say the people of the british isles are not free spirited.

https://twitter.com/nytimes/status/1339133185490345985

He's lucky to be alive - I looked on the map and it's like, 30 miles across open ocean (and shipping lanes). I didn't know jet skis had that much petrol!

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
the government strategy has pretty clearly been "bring in vague and complicated and self-contradictory rules so that when things get bad you can blame people for not following them to the letter"

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

I agree. So many people don't get it (whether being deliberately obtuse or genuinely don't) and one of my right wing acquaintances is bombling on about how unfair it is that Boris is getting the blame when in fact it is people who are idiots not Boris.
At least they understand that Boris is not a member of the set that is people.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
My mum and dad are the only other human beings I am going to see in person over Christmas, everyone else I am either seeing from 20+ feet away or via video screen.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Umbra Dubium posted:

People seem to think it's like when you're washing your hands and use too much soap, there's a cluster of bubbles sometimes come out when you make farty noises.

In this metaphor Boris is the farty noises?

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

If I was more conspiritorially minded, I'd roll out the "The confusion is the point" take.

Just saying that making intentionally complex and arcane rules makes it really easy for the government to say "it was all the public's fault" when people die en masse.

Yeah feels like this. Say to do something "common sense" that's both difficult to define in practice and easily bendable.

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

gh0stpinballa posted:

I have honestly never laughed so hard at a news headline

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

Bobby Deluxe posted:

I'm beginning to think this bubble thing might have been a bad idea.

Well we know who invented them.

Umbra Dubium posted:

Oh that's clever.

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts
Even in Canada, where the government has been making a good-faith effort to limit the spread of the virus and people are generally really compliant, it seems like few people actually understand how the bubble system is supposed to work.

I don't know how many times now I've heard "but I only spend time with X, Y, and Z, so we (i.e. me and them) should be able to spend time together" -- yes, but X, Y, and Z are spending time with lots of other people, so those people are now effectively in your bubble!!! Every family I know has been getting into fights over who makes the cut in whose bubble for Christmas, and almost every one is also fudging the rules.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

A Hot Dog is a sandwich.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

its a sideways sandwich or an unknown depending on point of view.

actually i need to do further research

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

gh0stpinballa posted:

Shallow state, obvs.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Well thanks to my intervention, seems at least our family have sorted themselves out.
Having laid the law down to mother that she must choose 1 or other of sister's bubble or brother's bubble, and having told sister I had spoken to mother and told sister that she mustn't be offended if mother picks brother (after all she sees mum almost every day but brother sees her maybe twice a year) and just say to mother she's protecting herself and family (never mind protecting mother), they have spoken on the phone and agreed mother will attach herself to brother bubble for the duration and zoom or facetime sister's side. Sister very grateful to me for raising the subject with mother (my sis gets ******extremely***** wound up over certain things) and all sides standing down before nuclear war.

(I also insisted mother will have to self-isolate for 5 days after brother leaves before rejoining sister bubble.)

Thank goodness I don't do Xmas..... I shall get my gjetost, guylian seashells, gravlax in and enjoy my solitary day.

VVV saw this after I posted ^^^

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Dec 16, 2020

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

I thought you didnt do xmas?

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

Umbra Dubium posted:

at this point its more of a froth than a single bubble

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

NotJustANumber99 posted:

I thought you didnt do xmas?

I don't! I'm sorting this out on behalf of those of my family who do! I do not want to go through all the bitching in my ears from all sides that happened over the last lockdowns!

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

gh0stpinballa posted:

That’s disgraceful.

MI5 is the agency for committing crimes in the UK. MI6 is the agency for committing crimes overseas. It’s muddling the lines of demarcation is what it is, MI5 should go on strike.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

I don't! I'm sorting this out on behalf of those of my family who do! I do not want to go through all the bitching in my ears from all sides that happened over the last lockdowns!
If you're spending ages sorting out family drama then I regret to inform you that you are in fact doing xmas

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

TACD posted:

If you're spending ages sorting out family drama then I regret to inform you that you are in fact doing xmas

Believe me, if I hadn't wasted several hours on this today, it would have been absolute hell next week.

At least with everyone in a total panic stress over the Wales changes meaning complete reorganisation of Xmas plans and boxing day which is my little great-niece's birthday - they seem to have forgotten about the kid interviewing me!

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Dec 17, 2020

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Looking for xmas presents... can you buy unconscious bias training gift courses?

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded

Miftan posted:

:siren: New UKMT Podcast For The UKMT :siren:

https://twitter.com/PraxisCast/status/1338791852061896706?s=20

Come listen to us ramble about buying water futures, freeports, and privatised royal train toilets!

The existence of those baby onesies is the stuff of nightmares jesus gently caress.

TACD posted:

My parents have gone for a much more effective, if slightly brutal feeling, plan for Christmas in that they're only allowed one other household to merge with so they chose which household they wanted and announced it.

Fair enough rules are rules, can't really have a go at them for following the guidance and they were nice about it, but have got to find some sort of volunteering thing to do on Christmas Day that's allowed to still happen. Not gonna do anything irresponsible that might spread the virus but also can't spend Christmas on my own in this flat that's too grim.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Continuity NIP posted:

Getting cancelled is actually really good for your career if your career is freelance racism salesperson

Please, in this country we call them Journalists.

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Looking for xmas presents... can you buy unconscious bias training gift courses?

Without looking I am absolutely certain it's a buyers market for finding a highly educated professional racen'gender-whisperer that will take your money in exchange for a Zoom call. If you're really desperate give me half an hour and I'll whip you up an e-voucher for the Vitamin P unconscious bias training programme.

Just because it's sort of funny to answer sincerely my company used "enei" and they are legit very proficient in having a wide range of consumer options for their services, you'll obviously have to sign a load of your details away to even see the menu but https://www.enei.org.uk/training-consultancy/unconscious-bias-training/ there they are.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Vitamin P posted:

Fair enough rules are rules, can't really have a go at them for following the guidance and they were nice about it, but have got to find some sort of volunteering thing to do on Christmas Day that's allowed to still happen. Not gonna do anything irresponsible that might spread the virus but also can't spend Christmas on my own in this flat that's too grim.
See if there's a Street Angels type thing working in your area. Doing anything outside is a reduced danger for spreading the virus, and unless they've been taken over by weirdos since last year it's mostly a "everyone gather up some winter clothes and walk around giving them to people on the street who look like they need some winter clothes and chat with them" type thing. (I think some of the US ones have been taken over by weirdos but the UK ones don't seem that bad).

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Guavanaut posted:

See if there's a Street Angels type thing working in your area. Doing anything outside is a reduced danger for spreading the virus, and unless they've been taken over by weirdos since last year it's mostly a "everyone gather up some winter clothes and walk around giving them to people on the street who look like they need some winter clothes and chat with them" type thing. (I think some of the US ones have been taken over by weirdos but the UK ones don't seem that bad).

Literally a minute after posting my whinge-post an ex whose dad is a vicar linked me that they need volunteers to deliver "Christmas Joy" packages. My Christmas Day will apparently be driving around the M25 pulling into various ring road towns to give various lonely olds and vulnerables a basket of booze, cake and pies and sing a Christmas carol at them from the kerb and gently caress it that sounds good enough to me.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

hmmm

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Believe me, if I hadn't wasted several hours on this today, it would have been absolute hell next week.

At least with everyone in a total panic stress over the Wales changes meaning complete reorganisation of Xmas plans and boxing day which is my little great-niece's birthday - they seem to have forgotten about the kid interviewing me!

Ah, creating a crisis to avoid dealing with a crisis, how very Tory of you!

(I joke!)

Clapham Omnibus
Nov 11, 2006

Guavanaut posted:

If you are in the London area Sock Mob are good for this. Been a while since I was in London myself but they are non religious and everyone I've met there has been good people. As well as warm clothes (can never have too many socks), toiletries are really useful and much appreciated.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/PaulChuckle2/status/1339218633931841537

hexa
Dec 10, 2004

And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom
I'm amazed there's @PaulChuckle2, I'm guessing he forgot the login details for @PaulChuckle1.

@PaulChuckle is suspended and I really want to know the story behind that one.

Mebh
May 10, 2010

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Thank goodness I don't do Xmas..... I shall get my gjetost, guylian seashells, gravlax in and enjoy my solitary day.

Out of curiosity any good recommendations for places to get decent gravlax? I've been missing it since coming back from the continent last year and ASDA & Amazon fresh don't do it :(

E: also if anyone is looking for last minute odd gifts that are actually positive, can I recommend buying someone in africa a goat? https://selfhelpafrica.org/uk/product/goat/ or adopting an endangered animal as a gift. https://support.wwf.org.uk/adopt-as-a-gift

Mebh fucked around with this message at 10:01 on Dec 17, 2020

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

hexa posted:

@PaulChuckle is suspended and I really want to know the story behind that one.

He ends up suspended because his brother mistakenly took the ladder away. Obvs.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

Julio Cruz posted:

the government strategy has pretty clearly been "bring in vague and complicated and self-contradictory rules so that when things get bad you can blame people for not following them to the letter"

Glad we stopped talking about covid, at least.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Vitamin P posted:

Without looking I am absolutely certain it's a buyers market for finding a highly educated professional racen'gender-whisperer that will take your money in exchange for a Zoom call. If you're really desperate give me half an hour and I'll whip you up an e-voucher for the Vitamin P unconscious bias training programme.

You know we're not trying to make them better at it?

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

The women behind Leiho (https://www.leiho.co.uk/) are very cool, and they donate a pair of socks for each pair bought, so you could get some christmas presents at the same time as helping.

Great socks too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Mebh posted:

Out of curiosity any good recommendations for places to get decent gravlax? I've been missing it since coming back from the continent last year and ASDA & Amazon fresh don't do it :(

E: also if anyone is looking for last minute odd gifts that are actually positive, can I recommend buying someone in africa a goat? https://selfhelpafrica.org/uk/product/goat/ or adopting an endangered animal as a gift. https://support.wwf.org.uk/adopt-as-a-gift

The only place I can get it round here is Waitrose :guillotine:
(I'm not sure why Waitrose always gets a guillotine mind you - it's cheaper than a lot of places - 1.5kg bag of self-raising flour just 85p! That was cheaper than Home Bargains where it was 99p for 1kg! and doesn't seem to me to be the worst employer out there.)

I did goat type presents for the family for several years many moons ago, and some years christmas dinners for homeless.
There's also the Crisis organisation: https://www.crisis.org.uk/

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 11:26 on Dec 17, 2020