Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
Verizon's, for instance, has to ensure the firmware won't do something wonky on/to their mmWave 5G network, so that's why people with Verizon-branded phones didn't get the December update until *yesterday*.

Verizon is also the reason why P5s in the US cost $100 more than they do in the rest of the world, because they made Google put the mmWave antennae in the US-sold phones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players
i bought my 5 from google and put it on verizon's network and didn't get the update until today. that was with checking every day, too. i also tried it with the sim card removed but i must be flagged as verizon scum

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Dropped my Pixel 3a in the water and despite some dry rice treatment its screen has gone black. It's still vibrating when I hit buttons so it's alive, might just be a dead screen but the cost of a screen (which might not be the only problem) is not that much less than a whole new Pixel 3a from Swappa.

Anyway, I was gonna replace it with a used 3a cause I've loved the 3a, but the 4a is tempting me... is it good?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

The 4a is quite a bit better than the 3a. It has UFS storage instead of eMMC which makes a huge difference. It also has 6gb of ram.

The 730g should give it more longevity too.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

:actually: the rice was probably worse for it than just leaving it out somewhere warm to dry out

(it was probably actually dead anyway and you couldn't have done anything to save it :rip:)

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

At least it died the way it lived, covered in uncooked food.

salt shakeup
Jun 27, 2004

'orrible fucking nights

Twerk from Home posted:

Absolutely minimal risk. My giant corporate risk averse employer who has professional access control and makes everyone log into things with 3 factor lets a ton of employees run around with Galaxy S7s still.

This is a strange post and justifcation for it - there is absolutely risk running an unpatched phone, I don't know why it's even a question.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

salt shakeup posted:

This is a strange post and justifcation for it - there is absolutely risk running an unpatched phone, I don't know why it's even a question.

Indeed. "My company goes way overboard in one area but is hilariously myopic in another" is pretty much corporate IT day in and day out. What a given corp does should really not be taken as de facto "good practices" on that basis alone. Doubly so given that a lot of those corporate phones are locked down via MDM to help prevent you from doing anything problematic with it in the first place, unlike your personal phone (presumably!).

That said, if all you ever do is go to known-good websites, install known-good applications from the Play store, and don't click on random unsolicited text messages about how you just need to confirm your shipping information for a surprise free package, chances of you actually getting hacked / impacted in the US are fairly low. If you were a world traveler that'd be a totally different story.

Basically don't be an idiot about your phone use, keep an ear out for any major vulnerabilities and ways to avoid them, and you'll likely be ok. That said, maybe don't do your banking on it in 2022.

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014
The Galaxy S7 is also still getting sporadic security updates (September being the most recent) so it may be the wrong phone to compare it to.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

LastInLine posted:

When I do it, there's a text entry box right above the keyboard that your image lacks. Mine's different in a lot of ways, actually. There is nothing in the title bar, just the back arrow, and there are icons on the right for video chat, phone call, search, and overflow. The next line is the same, with the selected party from my contacts but no dialpad for additional contacts, instead it has the "Create group" icon that yours has on the next line.

In fact, the only way I can get my screen to match yours is to click that Create Group but then it says "Add People" and not "New Conversation". When I'm in that mode it will not allow me to start a conversation without confirming the recipients are complete by hitting a Done button on the right of the action bar that your screen also lacks.

In other words, you're hosed.

Wonderful. Have to use the phone as a phone like some sort of simpleton I guess.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

Wonderful. Have to use the phone as a phone like some sort of simpleton I guess.

Or use something without insane people designing the UI, like Textra.

whose tuggin
Nov 6, 2009

by Hand Knit
Bought a used Samsung Galaxy S20 5G off of amazon today for $645

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OlDEzmSff3M&t=4s

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
I just factory reset the Google Home I've had for nearly three years and it gave me a 14 day YouTube Premium trial :psyduck:

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

The Scientist posted:

Bought a used Samsung Galaxy S20 5G off of amazon today for $645

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OlDEzmSff3M&t=4s

Welcome to the worst phone you've ever owned. I cant wait to get rid of mine, not sure how I'm going to accomplish that feat though.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Google has worked with Qualcomm to secure 4 years of updates starting with the SD888.

https://www.androidpolice.com/2020/12/16/google-and-qualcomm-just-announced-huge-news-for-android-os-updates/

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

bull3964 posted:

Google has worked with Qualcomm to secure 4 years of updates starting with the SD888.

https://www.androidpolice.com/2020/12/16/google-and-qualcomm-just-announced-huge-news-for-android-os-updates/

Kind of annoyed it took them so long and that the overpriced Pixel 5 isn't included but cool at least. The Pixel 6 will probably have the SD888 then, despite the Google SoC rumors.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
So they paid Qualcomm several yacht-fulls of money to provide updates for less time than iOS devices? 4 years is great for Android though, I'll give them that. It just seems short-sighted to not get at least 5 years so they can advertise that their phones will last as long as your iPhone.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DoomTrainPhD posted:

So they paid Qualcomm several yacht-fulls of money to provide updates for less time than iOS devices? 4 years is great for Android though, I'll give them that. It just seems short-sighted to not get at least 5 years so they can advertise that their phones will last as long as your iPhone.

This is what happens when your held hostage to a single supplier. This is why Apple made the A1x chip series and why they bought Intel's modem business so they can rid themselves of Qualcomn modems.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

bull3964 posted:

This is what happens when your held hostage to a single supplier. This is why Apple made the A1x chip series and why they bought Intel's modem business so they can rid themselves of Qualcomn modems.

It's not a single supplier market, remember Intel Atoms? I will never forget the Asus Zenfone.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

Twerk from Home posted:

It's not a single supplier market, remember Intel Atoms? I will never forget the Asus Zenfone.

Maybe 10 years ago it wasn't. Today it really, really is. Your options are Qualcomm or....uh....Exynos, which is bad to the point that Samsung doesn't even us it in their own phones in many markets. Or roll your own like Apple. That's the sum total of your options, outside of whatever Chinese homegrown chips they're starting to make.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Mediatek still exists I think?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Twerk from Home posted:

It basically is though.

You have qualcomm, exynos and mediatek and the later two just can't compete.

The best that Mediatek has is the Dimensity which just came out in 3rd quarter and its their first 7nm processor that can compete with the CPU of the SD865 but not the GPU, meanwhile SD888 devices are going to launch next month at 5nm.

So, yeah. There just isn't much of an option there. The real travesty is that Samsung doesn't support their own Exynos variants longer, but those processors might as well be coming from a different company due to the way mega conglomerates are structured.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

I just factory reset the Google Home I've had for nearly three years and it gave me a 14 day YouTube Premium trial :psyduck:

On the upside spotify casting started working again a few hours later

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

bull3964 posted:

quote:

Update: The joint announcement was slightly misleading, and there's a little more subtlety involved than we originally thought. Google and Qualcomm are promising three OS version updates and four years of security updates, rather than just four years of OS updates.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
Gonna be real cool if Google decides to pull a Samsung and decide that the OS they launched two months after one of their phones counts as one of those three promised OS version updates.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DrDork posted:

Gonna be real cool if Google decides to pull a Samsung and decide that the OS they launched two months after one of their phones counts as one of those three promised OS version updates.

The actual policy is:

Launch OS + 3 updates.

quote:

"Qualcomm will support the launch version + 3 OS upgrades, for a total of 4 major Android OS versions. Snapdragon 888 will support Android 11, 12, 13, and 14. "

But I guess that raises the question. Device launch or SoC launch? It seems like SoC launch.

So, if google launches their device AFTER android 12 launches with a SD888, the support window doesn't change for major OS updates as far as Pixels go, but should give you an extra year of security updates.

It does make a fall release window even worse now for devices. You are better off launching a device closer to an SoC launch.

It also creates a situation (assuming this is extended to the whole lineup like they claim) that a midrange device with Q4 SoC could get more updates than the flagship SoC earlier in the year.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

It's about time Google started catching up.
Samsung have done 4 years of security updates for a while now, and it's sad that Google have thus-far tied the Pixels to the mainline update.
As another user mentioned, they recently patched the S7 released March 2016. Possibly for the last time, though it should technically be on the list for an update for a serious vuln until March 2021.
Google have patched their flagship P2, released 18months later, for the last time already.

They can do better, and once they start doing so others will follow up.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

They don't support their phones that well in the US.

As far as I can tell:

Most recent update the Verizon S7 received was in April and it was the December 2019 patch
Most recent update the ATT S7 received was in Jan and it was the Jan 2020 patch
Most recent update the T-Mobile S7 received was in Feb and it was the Jan 2020 patch

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Business for companies like these isn't about making great products, or certainly not supporting them. Its about fostering an image and a consumer base. Apple's success has been exploiting that 95% of people who use these devices but know nothing about them. They've created an image so false and yet impenetrable that the general public sees iPhones as premium, top of the line phones, worthy of their ridiculous price tags. Anything else is for people completely embroiled in poverty. Lets not even get into iPads.

Google, less deliberately, is basically just coasting on the goodwill established with techies built up from their early days when they weren't a piece of poo poo dumpster fire who probably shut down more services than they start up in recent years. This thread often proves this. Its almost a wonder the Pixel line has lasted when their big selling point is "pure android!", which only looks attractive because samsung. Theres so much room in the market for something interesting to come along to challenge the norm, half of it already exists in China but its next to impossible to get those phones here, and basically pointless even if you could because they could never crack into that vast majority of people who just wont consider anything but iphone, so its not worth their while.

Remember Robin? Is that what it was called? Okay thats not even when I was thinking of because I remember there being a modular phone proposed at one point but that doesn't seem to be it.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

bull3964 posted:

They don't support their phones that well in the US.

As far as I can tell:

Most recent update the Verizon S7 received was in April and it was the December 2019 patch
Most recent update the ATT S7 received was in Jan and it was the Jan 2020 patch
Most recent update the T-Mobile S7 received was in Feb and it was the Jan 2020 patch
I'm assuming this is US carriers being poo poo, because both the Exynos and Qualcomm versions are patched to Sept 2020 elsewhere.
You can in theory manually update to this firmware version if you want to.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Khablam posted:

It's about time Google started catching up.
Samsung have done 4 years of security updates for a while now, and it's sad that Google have thus-far tied the Pixels to the mainline update.
As another user mentioned, they recently patched the S7 released March 2016. Possibly for the last time, though it should technically be on the list for an update for a serious vuln until March 2021.
Google have patched their flagship P2, released 18months later, for the last time already.

They can do better, and once they start doing so others will follow up.

This is not true, at least here. The S7 hasn't had an update on Rogers for at least a year. Updates for Samsung phones in Canada do not come from Samsung so that's meaningless. They come from the carrier which decides how often they'll get released and for how long.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Software isn't the same on the carrier variants as it is on the unlocked version, so it's not necessarily a simple process to use the unlocked update (and you can end up losing features if you do.)

Carriers or no, Samsung should at this point have enough influence to circumvent them for updates, but they don't because carriers foot the majority of their marketing bill for their new handsets and it's in their best interest not to rock the boat. Samsung are massive enablers for the carrier handset situation in the US.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

CLAM DOWN posted:

This is not true, at least here. The S7 hasn't had an update on Rogers for at least a year. Updates for Samsung phones in Canada do not come from Samsung so that's meaningless. They come from the carrier which decides how often they'll get released and for how long.
There was one in May and another in September.

I can't speak to whether or not Canadian or US carriers can decide to roll things out or not, but Samsung allow you to circumvent OTA by using their ODIN tool alongside the correct firmware files.
For instance, for Canada (Rogers) you can download and flash the update with these files for the September patch - https://www.sammobile.com/samsung/galaxy-s7-edge/firmware/SM-G935W8/RWC/download/G935W8VLS8CTI1/455075/

There's also a carrier-agnostic update.zip you can stick on an SD card and update via the boot menu.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Khablam posted:

There was one in May and another in September.

I can't speak to whether or not Canadian or US carriers can decide to roll things out or not, but Samsung allow you to circumvent OTA by using their ODIN tool alongside the correct firmware files.
For instance, for Canada (Rogers) you can download and flash the update with these files for the September patch - https://www.sammobile.com/samsung/galaxy-s7-edge/firmware/SM-G935W8/RWC/download/G935W8VLS8CTI1/455075/

There's also a carrier-agnostic update.zip you can stick on an SD card and update via the boot menu.

Posting US-only articles, then saying you can sideload/manually flash updates, does not equate a reliable accessible way of getting updates on a phone.

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

codo27 posted:

Remember Robin? Is that what it was called? Okay thats not even when I was thinking of because I remember there being a modular phone proposed at one point but that doesn't seem to be it.

The modular phone was Project Ara, and it always amused me when people would excitedly post about it in this thread as if it wouldn't have been just the worst piece of poo poo had it actually come out.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
I asked in the prepaid thread, but:
I'm thinking about switching to a cheaper plan, but I will be limited to 480 video. I think that will be okay, but if I turn on my VPN, will I be able to watch unrestricted video?

Intellectually, the limit is fine, but I hate knowing that I can't use the data I pay for how I want to.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

CLAM DOWN posted:

Posting US-only articles, then saying you can sideload/manually flash updates, does not equate a reliable accessible way of getting updates on a phone.

I don't see where you're coming from. Samsung totally supports their phones longer, they simply don't allow the user to know updates are available, push them to the device, or have a way for the user to update the device without another device. Also the update files may or may not be official and are downloaded from third party sites not associated with Samsung. And their monthly security patches come don't come every month or on a predictable schedule.

Perhaps you're just unfamiliar with top-tier long term customer support :smug:

Fart of Presto
Feb 9, 2001
Clapping Larry
This is really weird:

Within the last two weeks, I've now gotten three system updates that have asked me to reboot my Pixel 2 XL.

The notification icon and behavior is the same as when we got monthly security updates, and the first of the updates mentioned something about this being the last system update for this phone (two updates have since been installed).

From the notification history, the update came from Google Play Services.

Am I the only one getting these updates and are they just bug fixes?
Haven't seen anything on AP or here on SA about it.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

Fart of Presto posted:

This is really weird:

Within the last two weeks, I've now gotten three system updates that have asked me to reboot my Pixel 2 XL.

The notification icon and behavior is the same as when we got monthly security updates, and the first of the updates mentioned something about this being the last system update for this phone (two updates have since been installed).

From the notification history, the update came from Google Play Services.

Am I the only one getting these updates and are they just bug fixes?
Haven't seen anything on AP or here on SA about it.

Google Play Services can update independently of the OS update but still requires a restart.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

CLAM DOWN posted:

I'm saying you can sideload them if you're for some reason not getting the update. Which, as the links I posted shows, has been distributed. The Canada/Rogers firmware is available on Sammobile because it was downloaded OTA from Rogers.