Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

Coydog posted:

This isn't the advrider thread and please please source you're quotes.

Now I just wish helmets had room in them for proper speakers.

Bro my $200 HJC has room for the 45mm JBLs that I have to turn down while wearing 3M foamies at 55mph, what kinda fancy weirdo helmet you got?

I wish I had a Shoei RF1200 :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

My local mountain road is not a good place for going 9/10 or 10/10 as you'll frequently have cars and bikes coming over the line on turns, but this guy had some serious bad luck. Head on with a car (no idea who was at fault), but then the ambulance coming to get him gets hit by a car coming down. He was eventually airlifted away.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Of course it's a mustang.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

People are really loving terrible on the roads these days. Coronavirus anger or frustration or fatalism or whatever. For me it's gone from seeing like maybe one really dumb or dangerous move per ride to half a dozen or more, and everyone is driving faster and more aggressively too.

It's a huge bummer because getting out on an empty road on a sunny afternoon is one of the few relaxing Zen things I can still do in this pandemic, but I am genuinely worried about my safety in traffic now in a way I wasn't before.

And yeah, gently caress mustangs. I've never met an owner of a modern muscle car where I was like "dang this guy strikes me as very conscientious and not at all a menace on the road"

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

gently caress I hope he makes it. People crossing over really fucks with me and I hate it.

TheBacon fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Dec 15, 2020

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?
Every single time i get out on a fun road, I have to worry about someone unable to stay on their side. Going around a hairpin mountain turn just to have to dodge some old fart on a Harley trike halfway across your lane really sucks the fun out of the whole experience.

Sagebrush posted:

And yeah, gently caress mustangs. I've never met an owner of a modern muscle car where I was like "dang this guy strikes me as very conscientious and not at all a menace on the road"

We're out there. I drive a Challenger, but it's just like sport bikes; keep the shenanigans on the track and off public roads.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

Slavvy posted:

Of course it's a mustang.

lol lucky there weren't any crowds

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

A mustang hitting an ambulance that’s already carrying a person who was hit by a car is the most mustang thing that could ever happen.

Hope that person in the ambulance is ok though, mustang jokes aside

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
Jesus suffering gently caress, hope they're alright.

Sagebrush posted:

People are really loving terrible on the roads these days. Coronavirus anger or frustration or fatalism or whatever. For me it's gone from seeing like maybe one really dumb or dangerous move per ride to half a dozen or more, and everyone is driving faster and more aggressively too.

It's a huge bummer because getting out on an empty road on a sunny afternoon is one of the few relaxing Zen things I can still do in this pandemic, but I am genuinely worried about my safety in traffic now in a way I wasn't before

I've noticed this as well. To the point of parking the bike intermittently as the risk of getting out for a mid day ride wasn't worth getting run down by some shitstain in a 5000lb pillbox. In the middle of a pandemic. Even on four wheels, people want to play stupid games with 6.5 tons of vehicle.

Obvious solution? Sumo/dirtbike.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Coydog posted:

Now I just wish helmets had room in them for proper speakers.

I've stopped using the speakers in my Sena 10C and instead use a pair of Shure in-ear Bluetooth buds (SE215s I think) when I want to listen to tunes. They can be a bit fussy to get a helmet over but once you do it properly they block out the wind nicely enough that you don't need to turn up loud.

Probably unwise to be listening to my Drum & Bass mixes while riding though.

Mister Speaker fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Dec 16, 2020

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
DnB is an extremely "let's go faster!" genre, it's true

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
I was trying to keep up with this guy on the highway while I was listening to CHVRCHES in my helmet.

That doesn't help either. Also drat I guess Accords are faster than I thought.

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

I once put on some eurobeat mixtape. I had fun that ride :)

Also some tunes that make it very hard to sit still on the seat. I wonder what the other people on the road were thinking. Probably at least a few 'Gah, that biker is having way too much fun, let's ask the legislators to prohibit something'

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

LimaBiker posted:

I once put on some eurobeat mixtape. I had fun that ride :)

Also some tunes that make it very hard to sit still on the seat. I wonder what the other people on the road were thinking. Probably at least a few 'Gah, that biker is having way too much fun, let's ask the legislators to prohibit something'

I usually turn music off once I get off road, but this Initial D playlist was fun for sliding around

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Just hardwire the bike to play the theme from Redline whenever it's in gear.

ant mouth
Oct 28, 2007

Mister Speaker posted:

I've stopped using the speakers in my Sena 10C and instead use a pair of Shure in-ear Bluetooth buds (SE215s I think) when I want to listen to tunes. They can be a bit fussy to get a helmet over but once you do it properly they block out the wind nicely enough that you don't need to turn up loud.

Probably unwise to be listening to my Drum & Bass mixes while riding though.

I just took my first ride with the SE215s and they are the best in-ear I've had for riding. I've found metal + being late for work + the longer twisty way in to be a good combination for efficient riding.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
I used to love my SE215 for riding, but these days I just want to put in proper earplugs and not fuss with one of them getting slightly out of wack. Or being like "I can't remove this helmet ever because the se215 are properly seated and I can't upset that".

Now I use my se215 for when I need to make the world go away for a while.

Isolationist
Oct 18, 2005

The implication.
Next pro step up with in-ear noise isolating earbuds when you get sick of the Shures (the over-ear and placement can be irritating, and they tend to die after 6 months) is Etymotic triple flange HF5s - they go in, they hold solid, and the noise isolation is very good. Only cause of death for me so far has been the washing machine.

Edit: buy a cheap Bluetooth low energy media button like this too, for skipping/pausing songs and adjusting levels - a single watch battery will keep it running for a year of daily usage (though I've noticed the buttons die if you use them continually in heavy rain - no waterproofing). https://www.jaycar.com.au/smart-phone-media-button/p/AR3137

Isolationist fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Dec 19, 2020

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

Wearing my Shures when riding was gamechanging. And doubly so when the jack on my Sena mount died.

[edit] who makes decent cable ties. These garbage ones I have snap when cold. Literally impossible to use in winter.

Horse Clocks fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Dec 19, 2020

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

They make ones with stainless steel inners but they are hell to try to cut when it comes time to remove them

Beve Stuscemi fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Dec 19, 2020

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Velcro strap supremacy.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

Isolationist posted:

Next pro step up with in-ear noise isolating earbuds when you get sick of the Shures (the over-ear and placement can be irritating, and they tend to die after 6 months) is Etymotic triple flange HF5s - they go in, they hold solid, and the noise isolation is very good. Only cause of death for me so far has been the washing machine.

Edit: buy a cheap Bluetooth low energy media button like this too, for skipping/pausing songs and adjusting levels - a single watch battery will keep it running for a year of daily usage (though I've noticed the buttons die if you use them continually in heavy rain - no waterproofing). https://www.jaycar.com.au/smart-phone-media-button/p/AR3137

Etymotics' silicone flange plugs annoy the ever-loving poo poo out of my ears after a couple of hours - the flange edge digs into my ear canal. Their earbud style also sticks way out from the ear - on me, at least - so they're not comfortable to wear under a helmet. This has been the same since ER6s were the best thing since sliced bread.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Jazzzzz posted:

Etymotics' silicone flange plugs annoy the ever-loving poo poo out of my ears after a couple of hours - the flange edge digs into my ear canal. Their earbud style also sticks way out from the ear - on me, at least - so they're not comfortable to wear under a helmet. This has been the same since ER6s were the best thing since sliced bread.

Yeah, it’s kinda wild how much ear canals vary. I can’t wear triple flanged anything under my helmet, no matter how flush the outer ear portion sits. But I love my ER20x for concerts and social stuff, and I’ll use triple flange inserts on my earbuds sans helmet sometimes. I’ve tried drat near everything now and for me the only thing that works without pain is foamies and helmet speakers. The cheap U Line speakers have been great and I just installed a Cardo Freecom unit that sounds pretty drat good so far. I don’t think it’s the JBL speakers but they’re still good.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

They make ones with stainless steel inners but they are hell to try to cut when it comes time to remove them

Why are you wasting good cable ties by cutting them? Just jam a screwdriver in the lock and unzip them

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

*swan dives into vault of zip ties like Scrooge mcduck*

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Renaissance Robot posted:

Why are you wasting good cable ties by cutting them? Just jam a screwdriver in the lock and unzip them

and now you’ve got a stew goin’.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
I have never bought a pack of zip ties in my life and the fact that I have a reasonable stash at the moment is only because I liberated a huge pack from the supply cupboard when my work was moving out of its old building.

Revvik
Jul 29, 2006
Fun Shoe

Renaissance Robot posted:

I have never bought a pack of zip ties in my life and the fact that I have a reasonable stash at the moment is only because I liberated a huge pack from the supply cupboard when my work was moving out of its old building.

...well what the hell would be holding YOUR bike together, then?

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Zip ties! Just not any I paid for :v:

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Kind of hard to see with my lovely phone, but the hole is severely off-center to the point where some of the angles are completely missing. It bolts the top triple clamp to the steering stem.

Don't buy a benelli for any reason ever, simply setting your money on fire is less stressful.

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

Fixing up the PO electricial shitbaggery, and my own electrical shitbaggery on the DRZ. PO had:

twist-spliced in cables and wrapped them in electrical tape.
Replaced the harness-side Suzuki OEM indicator leads with the round Yamaha ones. (wat. Where do you even buy them?)
Replaced the indicators with Yamaha-to-Bullet adapters.
Replaced the bullets on the Yamaha-to-Bullet adapters and indicators with huge plastic automotive ones.

So in the end, I spent 2 hours cutting, re-crimping and soldering bullets back onto Yamaha adapters. But forgetting the rubber sleeve nearly every time so having to redo it.

And who loving decided to make aftermarket indicators use M6(?) bolts. No OEM connector fits through it. Two sizes up and you could use the OEM connectors. So instead you've got to have stupid loving bullets everywhere.

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Slavvy posted:

Kind of hard to see with my lovely phone, but the hole is severely off-center to the point where some of the angles are completely missing. It bolts the top triple clamp to the steering stem.

Don't buy a benelli for any reason ever, simply setting your money on fire is less stressful.

Took me a while, the person who did that didn't have the right bit so they took a hex key (took a few tries with different hex sizes) and jammed it in there but since it's a loving hex it went in off-center.Then when they rotated it they shaved off the ridges. A stronger bolt might have survived that level of stupidity, but it's a Benelli.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Uh no, it came that way from the factory. The machine that puts the hole in the bolt, however that works, wasn't zeroed to the machine that puts the thread and edge on the bolt. So the hole is literally off center. In my second pic, the fact that the hole is offset vertically isn't a trick of perspective or lens distortion, it is exactly how it looks IRL.

Like, it's never been off before and the bike is a year old and has a few thousand km, the head bearings were basically hosed from new. His wife has an identical bike and that too got head bearings a month or so ago, the bolt was made properly on that one.

Slavvy fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Dec 30, 2020

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I think the way those work is they drill a hole in the center and broach in the star points. Maybe a tool and die person can fill in the details, but that definitely looks like a "hungover on a Monday" job right there, because it relies on the machine holding the bolt and the machine holding the broach tool to be in alignment

e: like this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SDe5Btlik9o

Beve Stuscemi fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Dec 30, 2020

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Learned something new today! That is definitely what's going on here but I imagine they would've been using an automated process to make it, which just raises further questions.

Anywho the benelli 500 I can categorically say is a terrible Chinese bike fitted with the cheapest combo brembo/marzocci could throw together for bling. I try to find something good about every bike but I really, really struggled with those things. Crap handling, crap engine, crap finish, just crap.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
Huh today I learned that a topic is not the only thing one can broach.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Slavvy posted:

Learned something new today! That is definitely what's going on here but I imagine they would've been using an automated process to make it, which just raises further questions.

Yeah the guy in the video is clearly making some high dollar bolts that are probably made to some crazy spec.

Normal bolts would be done with an automated machine but those still need to be aligned and calibrated on regular intervals

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Regular bolts are made entirely with cold-forming processes, no cutting whatsoever (broaching is cutting). The heads are usually stamped or swaged into shape (internal or external, hex or robertson or philips, whatever) by progressive dies. The threads are also rolled on, deforming the stock without removing any of it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HJBuMZaKWRs

The bolt that Slavvy posted is large (and presumably old) enough that it's possible it was made poorly by hand with a tool like what Jim Silly-Balls posted, but I also wouldn't put it past an Italian factory to just have the line set up wrong and crank out ten thousand off-center bolts before they noticed, then shrug and box them up anyway

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Dec 31, 2020

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

*YouTube thumbnail with shocked face*

IS ITALY THE NEW CHINA?!?!?!?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

which is worse: chinese motorcycles made in italy, or italian motorcycles made in china??