Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
am I reading this wrong? how are my numbers so far off what i see in the reviews? I know there is the thing going on where components are being replaced without telling people but this seems way off compared to the crystaldiskmark numbers here https://www.tweaktown.com/reviews/9447/adata-xpg-sx8200-pro-2tb-2-ssd/index.html.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy
You must have some ram cache on, pcie3 x4 maxes out at 3.5GB/s

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Perplx posted:

You must have some ram cache on, pcie3 x4 maxes out at 3.5GB/s

yeah thats it, thanks. ill retest

here we are

Just based on the #s would you say this ssd is similar to the review copies in spec, or is it one of the negatively affected ones? It was purchased a couple months ago

Fauxtool fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Dec 10, 2020

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Close, those RND4K are way way over the top. (what hell you got goin on there?!)

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Im on an asus b-550e and 3800xt.
i turned off ramcache. I've no idea what else could be causing that.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Fauxtool posted:

Im on an asus b-550e and 3800xt.
i turned off ramcache. I've no idea what else could be causing that.

Whats 'ramcache'?

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
its a utility on some asus MOBOs that lets you use extra ram as a scratch disk sort of like intel optane.

Fauxtool fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Dec 10, 2020

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Fauxtool posted:

its a utility on some asus MOBOs that lets you use extra ram as a scratch disk sort of like intel optane.

Oh! Makes sense.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Fauxtool posted:

yeah thats it, thanks. ill retest

here we are

Just based on the #s would you say this ssd is similar to the review copies in spec, or is it one of the negatively affected ones? It was purchased a couple months ago

Your random 4k test is using a different queue depth than the test they ran in the review you linked, so the results are not directly comparable. Queue depth changes results a lot.

The change in controller and nand is really not worth being super concerned about for average desktop apps and games users. Basically it's enough of a difference to be annoyed at Adata for stealth changes to components, but not enough to make it a poor performer. You would never be able to tell in normal use without benchmarks.

(If you are using it for high-performance work, the major drop in sustained 4k IO is bad. This is IMO a reason for people to start avoiding Adata, especially professional users, because it's a bush league move.)

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
thats a relief, thanks

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I mean if thats real IOPs, thats some chad poo poo right there. badass drive!.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
There's nothing too magical about those IOPs given the 4K random..

Just divide 851MB/s by 4096 and you get 207k. IOPS = IOs (at 4k) per second given the 851MB/s

It's good tho!

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

Why does crystal disk mark have an underage looking anime girl

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

The "Shizuku" edition does, but guessing from Fauxtool's avatar it doesn't bother him

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

The "Shizuku" edition does, but guessing from Fauxtool's avatar it doesn't bother him

Its a japanese dev and the anime versions are the "real versions."
That's right versions. There is also the kurei kei one and each has many many skins built in

Shes the company mascot and has been for almost a decade

Fauxtool fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Dec 11, 2020

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

redeyes posted:

I mean if thats real IOPs, thats some chad poo poo right there. badass drive!.

priznat posted:

There's nothing too magical about those IOPs given the 4K random..

And that's why I said that queue depth is important. Increasing queue depth allows the controller to pick which order it handles requests; at high queue depth the controller has lots of room to find the most optimal order for performance. OTOH you also get increased latency per command, since read command #1 might not be responded to until much later.

Unfortunately there aren't many real-world things modeled by 4k random / QD32. It's the type of test a drive maker will claim IOPS for their paper spec. Real-world use of highly random reads tends to have low queue depth (though possibly multiple threads). So if you're looking at IOPS as measured by review websites. which tend to use either low queue depth or are doing real-world performance capture for their benchmarks, no that 200k result isn't "real".

(And none of this matters for home users since the average desktop use pattern in no way resembles a 4k random test. If you need a fast drive for video games, you care about sequential read and not much else.)

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

All this means is that you should buy Optane and lots of it

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

My motherboard's m.2 slot pretty much gets at least half covered up by my dual-slot-width gpu. Would it be a bad idea to use an m.2 drive in this scenario, heat-wise?

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

Also when doing random write tests on NAND SSDs you ideally want to fill up the drive beforehand, then start doing random writes for some time and THEN actually check the performance. The results with/without garbage collection in the drive can be pretty big as your writes are going to be contending with internal read/write/erases, or just going straight to the media when the drive is mostly empty, or not really internally 'defragmented'. Not that it really should matter for your average use case, you don't do enough 4k random writes to really notice the shift in performance.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

taiyoko posted:

My motherboard's m.2 slot pretty much gets at least half covered up by my dual-slot-width gpu. Would it be a bad idea to use an m.2 drive in this scenario, heat-wise?

SSDs don't generate much heat and are perfectly happy running a little warm. Coming at it from another perspective, your airflow isn't worse then the standard laptop M.2 slot and nobody has ever complained about their SSD overheating there.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
Yeah, NAND is actually quite happy when it's hot - the only thing that could use some extra cooling on the drive itself is the controller chip. The DRAM cache too, maybe.

The only time I've ever been :hmmno: about any kind of memory is when I ran 4x4GB on my last build. The stick in DIMM0 always went bad after a few months' time and I figured it had to be the fact that it was in a heat trap under my big Silver Arrow HSF. Switched to 2x8 in DIMM1 and 3 and never had a problem from then on.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

New Optane around the corner
https://www.zdnet.com/google-amp/article/intel-claims-fastest-data-centre-storage-title-with-optane-charged-p5800x/

quote:

According to the spec sheet, the P5800X is capable of hitting 7.2GB per second on sequential reads, 6.2GB per second on sequential writes, up to 1.5 million IOPS of random 4k reads and writes, which can increase to 1.8 million IOPS for mixed workloads of 70% reads and 30% writes.

Compared to its previous generation of Optane storage, the PCIe 3-powered P4800X which was unveiled in 2017, the new product delivers three times better performance in mixed workloads, 67% more writes per day, 40% quality of service, Intel said.

https://www.anandtech.com/show/16318/intel-announces-new-wave-of-optane-and-3d-nand-ssds

quote:

Intel has also made optimizations for single-sector 512-byte random reads, which can hit 4.6M IOPS

The new P5800X further increases write endurance to 100 DWPD

WhyteRyce fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Dec 16, 2020

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
hey WTF are these: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/products/memory-storage/optane-memory/optane-memory-h10-solid-state-storage.html

Anyone know anything?

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Desperation to unload optane 16/32GB ICs most likely :haw:

Actuarial Fables
Jul 29, 2014

Taco Defender
As far as I can tell, they're just a 16/32GB optane module and QLC SSD on the same m.2 stick. Presumably the optane is used in place of a more traditional DRAM or SLC cache.

https://www.pcworld.com/article/3389742/intel-optane-memory-h10-ssd-review.html

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

It's that Optane based software caching Intel pushed out awhile ago but now on a single M.2 device instead of requiring two separate drives. Basically throw a QLC nvme drive and an Optane nvme drive together and have the Intel RST software handle managing it

Putting it on a single device makes it a slightly better value proposition to OEMs. I don't know if it's worth it for most people unless the real world performance is significantly better than just buying an equivalent size TLC drive or if the price is competitive with equivalent QLC sized drives. Or both.

WhyteRyce fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Dec 16, 2020

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull
Does it actually enumerate as two NVME devices which have to be managed by Intel RST, or is it a single NVME device whose own firmware manages where blocks are stored?

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

BobHoward posted:

Does it actually enumerate as two NVME devices which have to be managed by Intel RST, or is it a single NVME device whose own firmware manages where blocks are stored?

I believe it should appear as two separate NVMe devices if you don't have the RST muckery installed or turned on.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Yep that PC World article says they show up as two drives, each controller is wired to two lanes of the m.2 slot

TIL motherboards just let you bifurcate m.2 slots like that

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

repiv posted:

Yep that PC World article says they show up as two drives, each controller is wired to two lanes of the m.2 slot

TIL motherboards just let you bifurcate m.2 slots like that

If that's the case, while the Optane-backed portion might have real good latency performance, bulk transfer rates are gonna be considerably lower than normal SSDs. Might make sense if you've got a database or something that you can get real high hit % with within the Optane size, but otherwise it makes it a pretty weird device.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

AT reviewed it when they came out last year:

https://www.anandtech.com/show/14249/the-intel-optane-memory-h10-review-two-ssds-in-one

The last sentence:

quote:

The combination of QLC and Optane might still be able to produce an impressive consumer product, but it will take more work from Intel than this relatively low-effort product.

Ouch.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Wow I had figured it was going to be like a dram replacement on the ssd, that’s very odd it is its own x2 device. Gotta be for OEMs/Laptops only because this would be a recipe for disaster if people are just buying it off newegg then wondering why they only get 16GB storage on their m.2 slot that doesn’t bifurcate.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

BobHoward posted:

It's two devices sharing one PCIe bus and has to be managed by a PCIe controller that can bifrucate x4 to 2x2. It's usable only with recent Intel southbridge chips, which they seem to have designed with this type of job in mind. The RST software is required to use it as a unified drive.

And the software caching doesn't do as good a job melding Optane and QLC as conventional SLC-TLC drives. It's not a good drive and was probably only appealing to OEMs who were getting it at discount (and using the optane to fluff up their system specs by adding it to system memory).

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Needing some Intel software running seems like a sure fire way to have it blow up in your face and lose data

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

DrDork posted:

If that's the case, while the Optane-backed portion might have real good latency performance, bulk transfer rates are gonna be considerably lower than normal SSDs. Might make sense if you've got a database or something that you can get real high hit % with within the Optane size, but otherwise it makes it a pretty weird device.

Continuous bulk transfer isn't really good use case with this because you'll probably blow through the Optane cache pretty easily and the data isn't going to stay there. If I remember the first batches of reviews for Optane Accelerators, the initial first time load for games was slow NAND speeds and once there then you got the acceleration benefits.

priznat posted:

Wow I had figured it was going to be like a dram replacement on the ssd, that’s very odd it is its own x2 device. Gotta be for OEMs/Laptops only because this would be a recipe for disaster if people are just buying it off newegg then wondering why they only get 16GB storage on their m.2 slot that doesn’t bifurcate.

Yeah they just grafted together some stuff to quickly get something out the door from the look and feel of it.

Designing a brand new type of controller to work with a giant Optane cache in harmony with a giant block of NAND probably isn't a quick job and probably not something they want to dump a ton of resources in for a razor thin margin market.

WhyteRyce fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Dec 17, 2020

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Thanks Ants posted:

Needing some Intel software running seems like a sure fire way to have it blow up in your face and lose data

I bought a 16GB drive for $9 off Ebay to mess around with. You have to enable something in BIOS to get some hooks in the driver to load (setting is part of some overloaded option from what I remember on my board, although that probably depends on the vendor) but I couldn't get it to detect with the RST software. After blindly and continuously messing around with the settings I think I might have got the first stage to kick in but then I wasn't able to boot Windows. I'm assuming it goes smoother if it's some OEM system where everything is pre-configured, or if you are doing it yourself from scratch and don't have to worry about blowing away your Windows install.

WhyteRyce fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Dec 17, 2020

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull
Man that is just the laziest way of doing it. In order of decreasing :effort:, here's their options IMO

- single x4 NVMe controller, controller manages data placement

- single x4 NVMe controller, controller provides two NVMe namespaces, one for the QLC and one for the Optane. (NVMe namespaces are somewhat similar to SCSI Logical Unit Numbers, if anyone remembers that poo poo.)

- just throw two preexisting SSD designs onto a single PCB layout through bifurcation and call it a day

Ironically, from a technological point of view, the match made in heaven for this device is Apple's Fusion Drive. It was originally designed to accelerate off the shelf standard HDDs with a much smaller off the shelf standard SSD, and would do fine doing the same if the "HDD" was a slow QLC SSD and the "SSD" was a fast Optane SSD. Too bad for Intel that Apple's been designing their own SSD controllers for years and probably has negative interest in Optane until it's a real mass market product.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

A single controller to control both is actually really difficult. I think Intel doesn't even have a consumer level in-house built NAND controller they could tweak. The Optane and NAND controller are different enough that you can't just glob on some extra logic to do both and the FW would probably be a nightmare. Optane was bleeding NSG enough I doubt they wanted to spin up another ASIC and FW team and all that a new product entails.

A single controller is the more compelling product and maybe what they should have went in on first in the consumer market but hey it's a new tech trying to build a new market so I can empathize with taking a couple of smaller bets. They still are on first generation controllers after all and I don't think they wanted to bite off more than they could chew.

WhyteRyce fucked around with this message at 08:38 on Dec 17, 2020

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

WhyteRyce posted:

They still are on first generation controllers after all

Exclusive look at the next generation:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

I don't even know if there will be a hybid Optane drive in the future. I always thought the client business at Intel NSG was primarily to find some kind of use for all those NAND wafers their factories were spitting out that couldn't be sold in a much more lucrative enterprise product. Once the acquisition completes they'll have to go out and buy someone else's NAND in order to throw together a product and at that point why bother.