Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Stringent posted:

Nice codpiece.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hurt Whitey Maybe
Jun 26, 2008

I mean maybe not. Or maybe. Definitely don't kill anyone.
Looks awful, you should have brought it to me to dispose of in my mouth

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

That's a high quality avatar right there.
God dammit how did a miss the codpiece pun? :suicide:

Dimloep
Nov 5, 2011

Yes, please.

Cheese Thief
Oct 30, 2020

Bloodfart McCoy posted:

Steamed mussels with a nice piece of cod tonight. Woke up in a seriously mood for sea food.

Very nice, I hear you have to be very careful in how you prepare mussels, because they can be poisoinous? I'm a little afraid of them.

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

Cheese Thief posted:

Very nice, I hear you have to be very careful in how you prepare mussels, because they can be poisoinous? I'm a little afraid of them.

As long as they aren’t open when you buy them and aren’t still closed when you finish cooking them, you shouldn’t get diarrhea :hfive:

This is actually the only batch of mussels I’ve ever bought where I didn’t have to toss a few. You usually always have to throw away a couple.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Speaking of mussels I've made this recipe for steak and mussels with cream from Six Seasons a bunch of times recently (although I didn't actually make it tonight) and it's really easy and good:

quote:

Sautéed Mushrooms and Mussels in Cream on Sliced Steak
Servings: » Serves 4

INGREDIENTS
1 pound rib-eye or New York strip steak, preferably grass-fed but as nicely marbled as you can get
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
3 tablespoons unsalted butter
2 garlic cloves, roughly sliced
Extra-virgin olive oil
1 small handful mixed hearty herb sprigs, such as sage, thyme, rosemary, and savory
1 pound wild mushrooms, such as maitake, chanterelle, black trumpet (or a mix of creminis and wild), wiped clean and dry, cut into chunks if large
½ teaspoon dried chile flakes
1 pound mussels, rinsed well and debearded
¾ cup heavy cream
1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice

DESCRIPTION
My version of surf and turf. The mushrooms and mussels alone are delicious—double the recipe and skip the steak to make this pescatarian.

DIRECTIONS
Generously season all sides of your steak with salt and black pepper. Do this as far ahead as you can, up to a day in advance, keeping the steak in the fridge.

Take the steak out of the refrigerator about 30 minutes before cooking. When you’re ready to cook, blot the steak dry with paper towels.

Heat a heavy skillet over high heat until it’s very hot. Add the steak—don’t use any oil. Turn the heat down to medium-high or medium, so that the steak is browning nicely but not getting too crusty or dark. Cook until it’s about half done, 3 to 4 minutes depending on the thickness and temperature of your steak.

Add the butter, garlic, and 1 tablespoon olive oil to the pan. Cook, basting the steak by spooning the hot butter and juices over the top. After another minute or so, flip the steak, add the herbs, and keep basting away, letting the herbs and butter get all flavorful together.

When the steak is medium-rare, 8 to 10 minutes total for a 1-inch-thick steak, transfer it to a cutting board and let it rest while you cook the mushrooms.

Take the herbs out of the pan (but keep the fat)and discard or compost them. Bring the heat back up to medium-high. Add the mushrooms and chile flakes and sauté until the mushrooms are slightly wilted and crispy, about 8 minutes, shaking the pan a bit.

Add the mussels (yes, in their shells). Cook, shaking and tossing the pan so the mushrooms don’t burn and the mussels get even heat, until the mussels open, about 10 minutes, then pour in the cream. Fold the mussels and mushrooms together until they are nicely cloaked in cream. If there are mussels that just won’t open, toss them out.

Add the lemon juice. Taste a mushroom and adjust the seasoning with more salt, black pepper, or chile flakes as needed.

Slice the steak, arrange it on a platter, and pour the mushrooms and mussels over the top. Serve right away, with a bowl for discarded mussel shells.

NOTES
In the kitchen Mussels are easy to cook with because they don’t need much prep. Just give them a rinse and then scrape or cut away the small tangle of fibers, called the beard, that attaches them to their home.

ogarza
Feb 25, 2009

Home made chorizo with eggs and chiltepín, side of refried beans.

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

ogarza posted:

Home made chorizo with eggs and chiltepín, side of refried beans.

I miss beans. My wife can’t eat them :(

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

Having trouble with beans eh BLOODFART MCCOY?

ogarza
Feb 25, 2009
Still on the chorizo train, since we made another 17lb yesterday of the most expensive spicy Mexican sausage I've ever had with ground up red chiltepín (and arbol).

Used 2/3 pork belly and 1/3 shoulder.

Tried it out this morning before packing after leaving it to dry out a bit overnight.

It was excellent.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Bloodfart McCoy posted:

I miss beans. My wife can’t eat them :(

Like she becomes explosive or something? Can she eat peas and chickpeas?

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Wife's (late) birthday dinner! Turkey and pork meatball spaghetti and focaccia!

ogarza posted:

Still on the chorizo train, since we made another 17lb yesterday of the most expensive spicy Mexican sausage I've ever had with ground up red chiltepín (and arbol).

Used 2/3 pork belly and 1/3 shoulder.

Tried it out this morning before packing after leaving it to dry out a bit overnight.

It was excellent.

That looks phenomenal

Hurt Whitey Maybe
Jun 26, 2008

I mean maybe not. Or maybe. Definitely don't kill anyone.

BrianBoitano posted:

Wife's (late) birthday dinner! Turkey and pork meatball spaghetti and focaccia!

As you say,

BrianBoitano posted:

That looks phenomenal
The meatballs look good, but that focaccia looks (even more) mouthwatering, I’m just sitting here dreaming of sopping up the sauce on the meatballs.

ogarza
Feb 25, 2009
I'm craving meatballs now

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

It somehow was worth the trouble, given that about a third a cup of oil spilled out of the baking sheet, scorching on the bottom of the oven, setting off the smoke alarms (all four appear to trigger each other), waking the baby and requiring an hour of cleanup :negative:

Here's a very active bulk rise shot!

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007
Happy Hanukkah!

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

To you too! I was just thinking "why is apple sauce called a sauce?" and then I remembered yummy latkes. Those look great!

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

BrianBoitano posted:

To you too! I was just thinking "why is apple sauce called a sauce?" and then I remembered yummy latkes. Those look great!

Not pictured was the apple sauce I made, I shred a bunch of apples in the food processor, add sugar, lemon juice and bourbon for a real apple flavor without the cinnamon I find unpleasant in latkes.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

Picture is unflattering but the food was good. Ribs, homemade coleslaw and cornbread with a coffee ipa.

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

Tezcatlipoca posted:

Like she becomes explosive or something? Can she eat peas and chickpeas?

Peas and chickpeas yes... but that’s about it for legumes.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Margarita

Prime rib, caramelized onion and mushroom, and gruyere

Apple, kalamata, and half goat cheese, half triple cream

Spicy salami

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

sounds delicious tho

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
rice bowls and fried snapper nuggets and a few bits of fried salmon skin

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

kumba posted:

rice bowls and fried snapper nuggets and a few bits of fried salmon skin

Nice! What sauce is drizzled on those bowls? Spicy mayo?

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy

Bloodfart McCoy posted:

Nice! What sauce is drizzled on those bowls? Spicy mayo?

yup!

1 part tomato paste
5 parts kewpie mayo
1/3ish part rayu (hot sesame oil)
splash of soy sauce

that's the recipe I learned and we always make it with a bit more rayu than it calls for cause we like it spicy

Olpainless
Jun 30, 2003
... Insert something brilliantly witty here.

Comfort food/using up stuff in the fridge and pantry.

Southern fried pork, butter-sauteed asparagus and king oyster mushroom, and a poached egg.

ogarza
Feb 25, 2009
Sous vide and seared filet mignon, salsa is fried serrano, garlic, chicken stock, and lime juice.

Fresh made corn tortillas.

Olpainless
Jun 30, 2003
... Insert something brilliantly witty here.

ogarza posted:

Sous vide and seared filet mignon, salsa is fried serrano, garlic, chicken stock, and lime juice.

Fresh made corn tortillas.

gently caress me.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

PBUC

Totally Reasonable
Jan 8, 2008

aaag mirrors

pepperoni be upon cheese?

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Praise Be Unto Costco. (Salad too)

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Totally Reasonable posted:

pepperoni be upon cheese?

*nods sagely in reply* And also upon you.

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

Made a tomato basil risotto last night.

Next time I’m going to add a little tomato paste so the rice takes on a bit of color.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Looks good! Sweet paprika or saffron would both help the color and I think would fit the flavor profile too!

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

Cobb salad with green goddess dressing, because I’m a loving goddess.

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

Made cassoulet yesterday for the first time and it's unbelievable.

ogarza
Feb 25, 2009
having a party tonight, freshly squeezed sangrita, dinner will be 80% tequila

orange juice
grapefruit juice
lime juice that had onion soaking in it
4 dried chiltepins (or could be 2 chile de arbol)
granadine syrup
worcestershire sauce
tabasco sauce
cholula sauce
maggi sauce
tajin powder
salt

optionally throw in some olive juice in there, I didn't though

serve 2 oz sangrita, 2 oz white tequila, 2 oz lime juice... each on its own shot glass

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waterbed Wendy
Jan 29, 2009

ogarza posted:

having a party tonight, freshly squeezed sangrita, dinner will be 80% tequila

orange juice
grapefruit juice
lime juice that had onion soaking in it
4 dried chiltepins (or could be 2 chile de arbol)
granadine syrup
worcestershire sauce
tabasco sauce
cholula sauce
maggi sauce
tajin powder
salt

optionally throw in some olive juice in there, I didn't though

serve 2 oz sangrita, 2 oz white tequila, 2 oz lime juice... each on its own shot glass

i remember parties, maybe some day we all will get to have parties again