Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Eimi posted:

I feel the exact opposite. I think siege weapons do weird things to siege timers, where it's too fast with them, but way too slow without, while CK2 sieges were evenly paced, better than EU4's. I mean I guess if you just want it to be fast, fine, but I think a lot is lost in the translation. I actually feel less in control of an actual army because I'm just stacking one ungodly powerful thing. Also they can teleport instantly and ignore the map. And knights just feel like superheroes in a weird way. I will agree that CK2 is opaque but...I liked that? It felt neat that different cultures had different tactics and weighting and I liked that retinues just played into levies instead of replacing them. (unless you were suitably large) And I guess I never enjoyed mutual exclusivity, I want to build all the things. :v:

Well, when I say "control", I more meant that since my vassals only contribute levies, I have direct control over which MAA/knights will be in the army, I am the only factor in how they will be buffed, I can place them wherever I want, and I know the timeframe it will take them to respond. Teleporting is a bit of an unbalancing issue, I get that. But I am more than willing to accept that if it means I don't have to deal with gathering all my levies together and march them halfway across the map for the third consecutive war I need to declare to finally get that kingdom title. And while I know some people oppose the idea of blobbing being easy, I don't think making warfare more tedious is the way to deal with that particular problem.

And drat, the post-battle report screen is so much better in 3 than 2 (at least, from what I remember of 2). It's so much more clear about what did what in each phase of battle and why, so you could, in theory, adjust your tactics/unit composition accordingly. It's still a lot to digest and most of the time it doesn't matter, but at least it's there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME

Godherja's out on the 18th!

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist
Yeah, CK3 warfare is much better. It's as complex as it needs to be. You get battle advantage and special units countering each other. You can see why you win or lose even before the battle. CK2 had so many troop types in every army and so much stuff happened that eall those modifiers cancelled each other out and you just cared about bringing a bigger army, preferably fighting in a good terrain and with OK commanders.

Also commander death rates were too high making a military career bad for everyone who doesn't go to Warrior Lodge.

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

Argh I wasn't thinking and I messed up.

For some bizarre reason I married my son to some daughter of the King of England (was I thinking she had claims or I could kill enough people to make her heir? I have no idea why I did this) and the impact of this though is that now I have an alliance with the King of England which is TERRIBLE because literally everything I want to do right now is about invading England.

How can I break this alliance? Is murdering the King the only way? I have woeful intregue and it's like a 5% chance lol.

Just occurred to me maybe can force my son to get a divorce? I dunno.

A God Damn Ghost
Nov 25, 2007

booyah!

Femtosecond posted:

For some bizarre reason I married my son to some daughter of the King of England (was I thinking she had claims or I could kill enough people to make her heir? I have no idea why I did this) and the impact of this though is that now I have an alliance with the King of England which is TERRIBLE because literally everything I want to do right now is about invading England.

How can I break this alliance? Is murdering the King the only way? I have woeful intregue and it's like a 5% chance lol.

Murder your son.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Femtosecond posted:

Murder the daughter?

Questions about vassal politics and chain of command: Vassal A went to war against another vassal in my kingdom, and is going to take a county in another duchy with no duke: those counties just report up to me, the King. How does the hierarchy work regarding duchy ownership?
Does the external county become part of the Duchy Vassal A calls home, and fall under his Duke?
Does Vassal A become both my vassal and his duke's vassal simultaneously, since one of his counties is under his Duke and one is under me?

Also, Vassal A is ambitious, soon will have two counties, and has a claim on his Duke's county. Can he attack his Duke? Could I (King) intervene if it's a rebellion or something? Can he usurp the Duke title without the Kings permission?

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

So, just to make sure I'm reading this correctly, Vassal A is a count under a duke attacking a count that answers directly to you, correct?

If Vassal A wins, both counties will come under his control, which means both counties will fall under the control of the duke.

Yes, Vassal A can attack his duke for his claim. You will not be able to intervene because it's a normal vassal on vassal war.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Hellioning posted:

So, just to make sure I'm reading this correctly, Vassal A is a count under a duke attacking a count that answers directly to you, correct?

If Vassal A wins, both counties will come under his control, which means both counties will fall under the control of the duke.

Yes, Vassal A can attack his duke for his claim. You will not be able to intervene because it's a normal vassal on vassal war.

Thanks! And correct: specifically talking about Ireland. Vassal A is the count of Ossory, in Leinster duchy, and is attacking Athlone, which sits in the neighboring duchy of Meath (I haven't created that Duke title).

If Vassal A turns and takes his Duke's County, does he get the Duke title by default, or can he re-make it himself? Or will there be a landless powerless Duke? Vassal A has a claim to Leinster County but not the Duchy title, as I just made that title and gave it out a year ago.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

If he has a claim on the duke title, he will get the duke title if he wins the war pressing his ducal claim. If he just has a claim on the county title, he will just take the county title and have to usurp or create the ducal title.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Hellioning posted:

If he has a claim on the duke title, he will get the duke title if he wins the war pressing his ducal claim. If he just has a claim on the county title, he will just take the county title and have to usurp or create the ducal title.

Gotcha, thanks!

I get why it happens, but it's kinda weird seeing my vassals fight and just shrugging it off. At the same time it feels like I've officially made the big time now.

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

What have I become, my Swedish friend?

When are you allowed to revoke the title of an imprisoned vassal? I’ve got a lot of familial murderers locked up lately but I can’t strip them of their title without the tyrant hit. The only one I could do was the guy who rebelled and I quashed first.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

Femtosecond posted:

If either the daughter or the son dies it'll break your alliance. Possibly also the King, but less likely since whoever inherits from him will likely still trigger an alliance, unless it's like a grandson or more distant relative. Otherwise you're stuck with it.

Tender Bender posted:

Thanks! And correct: specifically talking about Ireland. Vassal A is the count of Ossory, in Leinster duchy, and is attacking Athlone, which sits in the neighboring duchy of Meath (I haven't created that Duke title).

If Vassal A turns and takes his Duke's County, does he get the Duke title by default, or can he re-make it himself? Or will there be a landless powerless Duke? Vassal A has a claim to Leinster County but not the Duchy title, as I just made that title and gave it out a year ago.

The only thing I'd add to this is that if Vassal A seizes his duke's only county, one of two things can happen:

1) If the duke has any other vassals (since it's Leinster with two counties, I assume he doesn't) he can seize their land, since a duke has to hold at least one county (there are some exceptions to this but they aren't relevant here)

2) if he doesn't have any other vassals to seize land from, he loses the title. Like Hellioning says, Vassal A won't get it automatically since his claim was only for the county, he'll have to remake it himself (and pay the required gold) - or alternatively you as the King could pay to remake the title and then give it to him if you have gold to burn and want to get on his good side.

Trevor Hale posted:

When are you allowed to revoke the title of an imprisoned vassal? I’ve got a lot of familial murderers locked up lately but I can’t strip them of their title without the tyrant hit. The only one I could do was the guy who rebelled and I quashed first.

Only certain crimes allow revoking titles without tyranny. (the wiki has a list here) Kinslaying is not one of them. (Declaring war on you, rebelling against you, refusing certain demands if you have high CA, or certain religious crimes if your religion makes them crimes will do it, though.)

Dallan Invictus fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Dec 16, 2020

Spikes32
Jul 25, 2013

Happy trees
I still see a surprising amount of armies in my tier 3 control empire, in the middle of it. Is this just peasant rabble quelling?

I wish my vassals would expand the edges of my empire for me already...

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Trevor Hale posted:

Certain crimes have different punishments, you can check the little ball-and-chain icon next to their 3D model to see what punishments you can use against a particular character without penalty. Typically, kinslaying doesn't allow title stripping afaik, but you can imprison/banish them. You can strip titles for other crimes like refusing to convert (if righteous or fundamentalist), or rebellion. I don't know a full list, but those are the two most common things I see during my normal gameplay giving you a valid reason to strip titles.

Edit: The wiki list posted above is better

Spikes32 posted:

I still see a surprising amount of armies in my tier 3 control empire, in the middle of it. Is this just peasant rabble quelling?

Could be that, could also be vassal tyranny rebellions (rebellion against the tyranny of x).

Magil Zeal fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Dec 16, 2020

A God Damn Ghost
Nov 25, 2007

booyah!
Hah. I only had a 5% chance of getting caught but I'm now known as the murderer of the Khan. How about a trophy, rest of the world?

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

A God drat Ghost posted:

Murder your son.

:(

This seems very cruel!

Also btw I tried to get some more kids via a mistress because earlier on I was concerned about my bloodline dying out, and I couldn't romance anyone because this ruler is gay! (No wonder he went super deep into the theology tech tree...!)

So then I tried to see if I could romance any boys but apparently that doesn't work since "homosexuality is shunned."

As Ireland doesn't seem like there's any easy religions to pivot into to make it so that my character can get gay married.

Save up piety and start my own religion?

I did convert to insular christianity so I should get the benefits of the christian sites in scotland. The net benefit is that now polygamy is allowed so I've also been getting more wives which could yield more claims. I've married the 6 year old daughter of the duke of cornwall and will try to murder him.

Femtosecond fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Dec 16, 2020

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

You cannot 'romance' people as a gay man if homosexuality is shunned, but you can 'seduce' them. They're functionally the same thing, one is just public.

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

Dallan Invictus posted:

If either the daughter or the son dies it'll break your alliance. Possibly also the King, but less likely since whoever inherits from him will likely still trigger an alliance, unless it's like a grandson or more distant relative. Otherwise you're stuck with it.

The only thing I'd add to this is that if Vassal A seizes his duke's only county, one of two things can happen:

1) If the duke has any other vassals (since it's Leinster with two counties, I assume he doesn't) he can seize their land, since a duke has to hold at least one county (there are some exceptions to this but they aren't relevant here)

2) if he doesn't have any other vassals to seize land from, he loses the title. Like Hellioning says, Vassal A won't get it automatically since his claim was only for the county, he'll have to remake it himself (and pay the required gold) - or alternatively you as the King could pay to remake the title and then give it to him if you have gold to burn and want to get on his good side.

Only certain crimes allow revoking titles without tyranny. (the wiki has a list here) Kinslaying is not one of them. (Declaring war on you, rebelling against you, refusing certain demands if you have high CA, or certain religious crimes if your religion makes them crimes will do it, though.)

Ah! That list is very helpful!

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

every problem in CK can solved through murder , incest, or both

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

Hellioning posted:

You cannot 'romance' people as a gay man if homosexuality is shunned, but you can 'seduce' them. They're functionally the same thing, one is just public.

I think I tried seduce too and it was the same.. hmm

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Femtosecond posted:

Just attack the King of England and eat the relationship hit

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

PittTheElder posted:

Just attack the King of England and eat the relationship hit

Huh isn't there more significant hits to fame and prestige? I'll have to double check. Can't find anything googling this.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Yeah I think there's a fame level penalty but :shrug: that's what fame levels are for!

scaterry
Sep 12, 2012

Femtosecond posted:

Huh isn't there more significant hits to fame and prestige? I'll have to double check. Can't find anything googling this.

To be exact, you lose 250 prestige and 1 level of fame (unless you have the relevant perk), and 50 general opinion for 3 years.

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

How do I best organize my kingdom? I want all the counties in a duchy I control, but what if I am building towards forming the kingdom of Ireland? I end up with a patchwork of counties ans duchies.

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

Minenfeld! posted:

How do I best organize my kingdom? I want all the counties in a duchy I control, but what if I am building towards forming the kingdom of Ireland? I end up with a patchwork of counties and duchies.

You can let it happen for a bit and consolidate when your other heirs steal your stuff. I just keep conquering more, tbh. Started as wales and then took over Ireland and Scotland then England and France. I kept my home duchy in wales. Had my second duchy in Ireland until it became possible to grab one in Scotland. Lock down your home duchy and then just get fluid with your second

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

I married a woman with a pressed claim for the Dutchy of Flanders, and I've had two kids with her, but they don't have any of her Flanders claims? I would have thought they'd get at least unpressed claims?

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

Took over half of England and now I'm way above my holding limit and I need vassals I guess.

How do I get more?

I can do a search of people in the world to find good stats, but I can't offer them a title. I can ask them to come to my court but it's usually nope -50 base reluctance and then more on top of that. Come on folks I'm trying to make you a Lord.

I notice even trying to find people in my own Dynasty, if someone good is like a councillor of some other vassal I can't convince them to come to my court so I can make them a Lord. Good grief.

Edit:

lol I can't even give it back to the lord I won it from if I go back and look at who I got the title from.

Femtosecond fucked around with this message at 09:08 on Dec 17, 2020

megane
Jun 20, 2008

There’s a little button on the holding info page somewhere called “grant to low noble” or something like that. That will create a guy of your religion and culture out of thin air to hold the barony, after which you can give him more stuff if you need to.

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

As WIlliam the bastard what should my most accurate English capitol be?

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Itinerant capital, which the game doesn't do. Barring that, 8 years somewhere in England, then back to Normandy.

Femtosecond posted:

I married a woman with a pressed claim for the Dutchy of Flanders, and I've had two kids with her, but they don't have any of her Flanders claims? I would have thought they'd get at least unpressed claims?

They get the claims when she dies.

Femtosecond posted:

Took over half of England and now I'm way above my holding limit and I need vassals I guess.

How do I get more?

Limit your search to Top Realm, you will generally be able to grant titles to anyone within it.

If you need more courtiers period, invite knights or claimants, and just give titles to them.

PittTheElder fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Dec 17, 2020

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

Having switched from catholicism to insular christianity, polygamy feels a bit OP. Like yeah my 60 year old self can now just roll up and be like, "hey does your 6 year old heir wanna be my 4th wife? this totally isn't for pure alliance/claims reasons I swear...." and peeps are like SURE OK.

Maybe the fact that I'm King of Wales, Ireland, Scotland is the aspect that makes these marriage scenarios way to easy for me.

Maybe there's some looming issue that I'm not seeing lol.

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

In my first two games I got super annoyed with my insular neighbors so in my third game I made a beeline with my conquests and then immediately sent in my chaplain to wipe insular off the planet.

Play genocidal or gtfo, in my opinion

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Femtosecond posted:

Having switched from catholicism to insular christianity, polygamy feels a bit OP. Like yeah my 60 year old self can now just roll up and be like, "hey does your 6 year old heir wanna be my 4th wife? this totally isn't for pure alliance/claims reasons I swear...." and peeps are like SURE OK.

Maybe the fact that I'm King of Wales, Ireland, Scotland is the aspect that makes these marriage scenarios way to easy for me.

Maybe there's some looming issue that I'm not seeing lol.

the downside is having a million heirs to split confederate partition inheritance with

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Sooo, an interesting little Ruler Designer interaction I discovered on accident...
If you make a character, finalize them, and then make a new one in the same county, your other character will not get deleted, but simply be delegated to Wanderer when the game begins. This means you can make both your spouse and yourself.

Since you only use points for your main character, this means you can make your spouse into a superhuman, and go below the necessary points needed for your main character easily.

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

Wait you can make multiples?

BabyFur Denny
Mar 18, 2003

Trevor Hale posted:

Wait you can make multiples?

as many as you want. you can replace the French Karling king with an imbecile from a new dynasty, to make your run for the Capet achievement easier.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer

Broken Cog posted:

Sooo, an interesting little Ruler Designer interaction I discovered on accident...
If you make a character, finalize them, and then make a new one in the same county, your other character will not get deleted, but simply be delegated to Wanderer when the game begins. This means you can make both your spouse and yourself.

Since you only use points for your main character, this means you can make your spouse into a superhuman, and go below the necessary points needed for your main character easily.

Just did this and it does work lol

My first heir is going to be RoboNoble

VinylonUnderground
Dec 14, 2020

by Athanatos
Vigdis is about to become the most absurdly overpowered person ever. TBF: I'd usually boost her stats and make her immortal in CK2. Having an immortal witch-queen are my regent and broodmare for the first few generations rocked. She'd get herself killed eventually but until then it was sweet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sing Along
Feb 28, 2017

by Athanatos

Midgetskydiver posted:

Just did this and it does work lol

My first heir is going to be RoboNoble

I'm doing this but I'm seeing achievements listed as greyed on the Play screen out even though on my second character at the bottom of the creator they appear viable