Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best Splat
Vampire
Werewolf
Mage
Changeling
Promethean
Demon
Hunter
Sin Eater
Deviant
Mummy lol
beast?!
Goku
View Results

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
So I broke out my copy of the silver record to look up the glyphs they're using in the UI.

The out of combat rage meter seems to cycle between the glyphs for Safety and Danger, but the glyph they're using for Frenzy isn't the glyph for frenzy. I have no idea what it is. It looks like they tried to construct a glyph for 'thrall of the wyrm' which uhh.. isn't good I guess?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Kurieg posted:

So I broke out my copy of the silver record to look up the glyphs they're using in the UI.

The out of combat rage meter seems to cycle between the glyphs for Safety and Danger, but the glyph they're using for Frenzy isn't the glyph for frenzy. I have no idea what it is. It looks like they tried to construct a glyph for 'thrall of the wyrm' which uhh.. isn't good I guess?
To be fair the behavior of a player character in an action video game is gonna be basically the same as a regular Garou frenzy, wouldn't it? Like there's no real risk that you're going to go wolfshit on some innocent but annoying dude trying to sell you a chalupa.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Yeah, I was more just kind of commenting on the fact that they seem to be using the auspices and art design of the Thrall of the Wyrm to stand in for frenzy in the game (The weird tendrils, glowing purple poo poo, etc) where in the actual tabletop game that would mean you'd stop fighting to chow down on that guy you just killed, in that case we should just be very glad Cahal isn't metis. (also the glyph for Frenzy is the same as the glyph for Rage which is just the Werewolf standard 3 diagonal claw marks)

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Kavak posted:

I like how the exoskeleton's pilot is basically unarmored. It's like making a forklift your tough guy.

tbf that worked for Ripley :shrug:

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
I didn't watch the whole thing but it seems stupid that they give you two different stances in Gauru rather than letting you swap between Urshul for speed and Gauru for power. No I will not go look up what the forms were called back in Apocalypse.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Ferrinus posted:

I didn't watch the whole thing but it seems stupid that they give you two different stances in Gauru rather than letting you swap between Urshul for speed and Gauru for power. No I will not go look up what the forms were called back in Apocalypse.

Glabro and Crinos. And if they were really trying to replicate WTA combat you'd switch between Hispo and Crinos. Hispo was faster and more accurate, Crinos was stronger.

But that would require them to have wolf combat animations and considering how low effort their Lupus animations are I imagine their sole and lonely animator would run away given that order.

Crasical
Apr 22, 2014

GG!*
*GET GOOD

Kurieg posted:

Glabro and Crinos. And if they were really trying to replicate WTA combat you'd switch between Hispo and Crinos. Hispo was faster and more accurate, Crinos was stronger.

But that would require them to have wolf combat animations and considering how low effort their Lupus animations are I imagine their sole and lonely animator would run away given that order.

I was wondering why you transform back for the standard 'neck snap' takedown instead of properly wolf-savaging and crushing the throat.

GimpInBlack
Sep 27, 2012

That's right, kids, take lots of drugs, leave the universe behind, and pilot Enlightenment Voltron out into the cosmos to meet Alien Jesus.
Apparently the developers built the game almost entirely on the engine and mechanics of Styx: Shards of Darkness, which is a third-person stealth game about a little goblin thief dude in a fantasy setting. And, well, I think it shows.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Werewolf game seems…absolutely beige nothing unsurprising B-tier video game. I guess I hope it's nice enough for anyone who somehow manages to be hype for it in the first place. I think this transmedia empire is going to continue being mostly a flat "Walmart bargain shelf a month after release" kind of thing.

They could potentially tap two enormous captive audiences by turning out a CK vampire module, but that seems a pipe dream.

Anyway, I skimmed Geist 1e last night. I couldn't really immediately grasp any standout holy poo poo broken stuff, but what I wasn't expecting were the powers being quite so overwritten yet boring. Just loving solid pages of slight twists on the same effect over and over. Makes me appreciate 2e that much more.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

That Old Tree posted:

They could potentially tap two enormous captive audiences by turning out a CK vampire module, but that seems a pipe dream.

I think the plan is to keep leaving that to modders because it’d honestly be hard to do a better job.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
I have played quite a bit of Princes of Darkness for CK3, and it's not there yet

one of the big problems is the Hunt, you basically have to Hunt on cooldown if you want to gain anything Vampire related, and every Hunt is several clicks through a right-click menu (as opposed to the usual UI buttons for other CK3 actions)

also basically there is no real moral or systematic reason to not gorge yourself (high Blood Potency is good, Diablerie is fun and easy since every opponent's knight is a Vampire, and you imprison knights at random during battles), it's just role playing

but they are making progress, lets just hope the main game's patches and DLC don't break this too much

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

GimpInBlack posted:

Apparently the developers built the game almost entirely on the engine and mechanics of Styx: Shards of Darkness, which is a third-person stealth game about a little goblin thief dude in a fantasy setting. And, well, I think it shows.

Seriously?

Oh my loving god, we're screwed.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Cyanide is very mid-tier, but they actually complete and ship products, which currently puts them far above Hardsuit Labs in quality.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Kavak posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=abRj-BRKlv4

Earthbutt gameplay footage, featuring literal monster closets and a protagonist that looks like the aged version of one of those pictures where like a hundred people are combined into a single image except its protagonists of 7th Generation action games.

I'm determined to at least try this game, but man, I wish anything about it was even 2% more interesting. Stylized instead of realistic (Ron Spencer etc), character customization, a choice of breed, tribe, and/or auspice, just anything.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

Kurieg posted:

Urshul was the big dire wolf, which I think was Hispo in WtA, so we're on the same page here.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Kavak posted:

Cyanide is very mid-tier, but they actually complete and ship products, which currently puts them far above Hardsuit Labs in quality.

I just want Bloodlines 2 drat it :(

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

I really just can't help but be struck by how much better this would work if they chose to make a video game of the good version of Werewolf. You'd have Dalu form to use melee weapons and firearms in combat or do some sort of claw-fu and Urshul form to tear enemies' throats out, and different enemies could be vulnerable to different forms. Then Gauru would be your cooldown or resource-limited "Lon Cheney, your rage meter is full. Press L3 + R3..." special. This is so drat easy!!

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Ferrinus posted:

I really just can't help but be struck by how much better this would work if they chose to make a video game of the good version of Werewolf. You'd have Dalu form to use melee weapons and firearms in combat or do some sort of claw-fu and Urshul form to tear enemies' throats out, and different enemies could be vulnerable to different forms. Then Gauru would be your cooldown or resource-limited "Lon Cheney, your rage meter is full. Press L3 + R3..." special. This is so drat easy!!

Yeah definitely. Have gunfire warning animations for dalu, gauru, urshan, and urshul forms. Cool boss potential too. Fight everything from Predator Kings to Lost Boys to Frankenstiens. Maybe there'd be some kind of territory mechanic. Maybe different supernatural factions could be courted for missions.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

Ferrinus posted:

When you're right, you're right.

The spectrum of wolf forms in Forsaken are really cool, and the only problem with them is how clunky it can be to make that work fluidly on the tabletop. It would be fantastic in an action/stealth game, with all the forms from human to wolf providing specific tools even before you get to Gifts.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

I was thinking about disciplines in oWoD Vampire, and toying with the idea that there should be a pool of common disciplines available to all Vampires, but each clan would have one unique clan discipline, and one variation of thaumaturgy.

The common disciplines would be broken up into Primary and Secondary (maybe even Tertiary) disciplines, with increased XP/freebie costs as you move further from Primary. Each clan would have different combinations of disciplines in each category, so you'd keep the general theme and focus of the clans, but everyone would have access to things like Potence and Fortitude.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

I was thinking about disciplines in oWoD Vampire, and toying with the idea that there should be a pool of common disciplines available to all Vampires, but each clan would have one unique clan discipline, and one variation of thaumaturgy.

The common disciplines would be broken up into Primary and Secondary (maybe even Tertiary) disciplines, with increased XP/freebie costs as you move further from Primary. Each clan would have different combinations of disciplines in each category, so you'd keep the general theme and focus of the clans, but everyone would have access to things like Potence and Fortitude.

It does already work like this?

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Lord_Hambrose posted:

It does already work like this?

AFAIK the cost is prohibitively expensive for out-of-clan disciplines, and they're all treated the same (the last version I played was quite old though). There are also numerous clans that don't have a unique discipline. I think there should be a more granular system, and I think all clans should have a tradition of ritualised blood magic, though I'd put it at least a secondary discipline for everyone except the Tremere.

If it's changed in later versions then neat!

Octavo
Feb 11, 2019

Justin Achilli's new free masquerade companion is out and it seems pretty good? I'm more of a Requiem person so I can't judge the system changes, but the new clan write-ups look solid and the art is gorgeous.
Shockingly the Ravnos don't seem to be awful stereotypes, and their new doomed curse is pretty cool.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
The discipline spreada are kinda odd though, Salubri with dominate? Why?

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Okay, this companion rules.

From the bit about coteries:

quote:

Especially among young Kindred, groups of vampires are often described with a stylistic phrase to which they can relate: a gang of Brujah
and Ravnos; a burrow of Gangrel and Nosferatu; a goddammit of Tremere, Toreador, and Ventrue; and so on.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

IIRC the only nod VtM makes to some disciplines being more common than others is that you don't (according to at least some books) need a teacher to learn Potence, Celerity, or Fortitude, although they're bought at the same rates.

I had an idea a while ago for a create-a-clan mechanism in VtR where you'd pick one physical discipline (celerity, resilience, or vigor), one psychic discipline (dominate, majesty, or nightmare), and then one utility discipline (animalism, auspex, obfuscate, or protean). Of course, unless you file certain disciplines under multiple categories you can't then recreate several of the core clans.

Crasical
Apr 22, 2014

GG!*
*GET GOOD
EDIT: Nevermind, I'm illiterate

Veeta
Dec 23, 2011

... καὶ ὡς ὑπὸ βελῶν τοῖς σοῖς κατατρωθήσονται ῥήμασιν.
I really like how they've designed the Tzimisce bane and clan compulsion in the companion - the former in particular is open enough to fit all sorts of interesting character concepts. I'm not too sure about the Ravnos write-up though: the bane seems like it'd be either too restrictive or something that an obliging ST would just let you cheese. And the compulsion seems like a more generic form of their old clan flaw. Still an overall interesting read, though.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Octavo posted:

Justin Achilli's new free masquerade companion is out and it seems pretty good? I'm more of a Requiem person so I can't judge the system changes, but the new clan write-ups look solid and the art is gorgeous.
Shockingly the Ravnos don't seem to be awful stereotypes, and their new doomed curse is pretty cool.

The Ravnos curse is really cool lore-wise. I'm not sure how it would work in play though, seems pretty limiting. You either need to live in a van, be a hardcore couchsurfer, or be rich enough to just bounce between hotels.

DantetheK9
Feb 2, 2020

Just...so fucking tired.

joylessdivision posted:

Okay, this companion rules.

From the bit about coteries:

I'll be going out of my way to find an excuse to use this.

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president
So Ravnos can't go into torpor?

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Derek Fcking Carr posted:

They do but they just kind of spin around in circles the whole time.

Octavo
Feb 11, 2019

CottonWolf posted:

The Ravnos curse is really cool lore-wise. I'm not sure how it would work in play though, seems pretty limiting. You either need to live in a van, be a hardcore couchsurfer, or be rich enough to just bounce between hotels.

It occurs to me that it's (intentionally or not) another VTM touchpoint with the aesthetic of Near Dark where the vampires are constantly roving between motels and cities in their RV.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Veeta posted:

I really like how they've designed the Tzimisce bane and clan compulsion in the companion - the former in particular is open enough to fit all sorts of interesting character concepts. I'm not too sure about the Ravnos write-up though: the bane seems like it'd be either too restrictive or something that an obliging ST would just let you cheese. And the compulsion seems like a more generic form of their old clan flaw. Still an overall interesting read, though.

Yeah, I like the new Tzimisce style of making them more dragon like by making them covetous and very in line with being Eastern European nobles.

Due to the wonders of capitalism, living out of cars is all the rage these days too so it's not that uncommon and easy for a Ravnos to do. They only have to move a mile though so it's not that bad too.

Derek Fcking Carr posted:

That's something I didn't think of but it's fitting with the whole, elders being gone or dead development in V5.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Wasn't the V20 Dark Ages weakness of the Anda Gangrel also having to move for each naptime?

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

That's certainly an interesting design choice in having the new clans keep to the same Discipline spread and just folding in the trademark Disciplines into them.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Dawgstar posted:

That's certainly an interesting design choice in having the new clans keep to the same Discipline spread and just folding in the trademark Disciplines into them.

It's been a trend in V5 and thinking about it, V20 ending up being mostly disciplines lists like D&D spell lists seems contrary to the spirit of vampire.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

RocknRollaAyatollah posted:

It's been a trend in V5 and thinking about it, V20 ending up being mostly disciplines lists like D&D spell lists seems contrary to the spirit of vampire.
VtM has always been Brooding Antiheroes: the Game, except for the times when you play It's Never Sunny in Montreal. For all the books try to play up the idea of it being a game of subtle politics and maneuvering, the mechanics end up delivering a game of "look at all my cool powers!"

Not that there's anything wrong with that, mind you.

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

Tzimisce having in-clan access to Protean and all that comes with it is a fun consequence of the V5 Companion, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

Chernobyl Peace Prize posted:

Tzimisce having in-clan access to Protean and all that comes with it is a fun consequence of the V5 Companion, though.

Wait, oWoD Dracula can finally turn into a bat?