Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

rantmo posted:

What quest is this from? I've got WHM at 80 and did the 80 quest but I don't remember this at all.

It's the Conjurer questline, so you don't remember it because you did it eight million hours ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Thundarr posted:

Most people will say it's either The Maker's Ruin or Torn From The Heavens that serves as the WoL's theme but I agree that Ruin fits better. It's short and to the point, and the point is that you're a hero and you're here to punch some badguys.

Also if you don't have the two music boxes that play it in your private room / apartment / house you done messed up.
I've generally read Torn From The Heavens as a main theme for Final Fantasy XIV as a whole - it's a leitmotif in numerous songs (including at least one new one per expansion) and is generally at least part of the music selection for any crossovers.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

he looks like a handsome mii

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

CYBEReris posted:

no mmo i've played comes close to ffxiv's total package of gameplay, music, and cinematography that communicates a narrative that feels like a cohesive story but of them the closest are probably gw2 and sw: tor. wow mostly felt like a gameplay-centered open world with a story loosely bolted on through quest text but that might've changed since the last time i played.

FF14's package in that regard really is second to none. I wouldn't normally do things like the 24-man raids or Eden or the Weapons or what have you in an MMO, but FF14 nails the sheer spectacle of fights so hard I do this stuff I'd normally be very adverse to because I just plain want to see it.

What made me decide to buy the game originally was normal mode Ifrit, the very first big fight of any kind in the game, having a presentation on par with end-of-tier bosses in WoW.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

Edmond Dantes posted:

It's that one WHM quest dealing with The Taint.

also i have discovered the group pose camera

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Speaking of healers,

https://twitter.com/waraumannequin/status/1339186448235438081

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

That's chart is bullshit, superbolide almost never helps you AVOID death :v:

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

"Holy is a heal spell" is a joke that writes itself and should replace LB there.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

SettingSun posted:

"Holy is a heal spell" is a joke that writes itself and should replace LB there.

an ounce of holy is worth a pound of cure III

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

I'm a healer!

Gato
Feb 1, 2012

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

I'm not sure about that.

The Maker's Ruin motif is I think most of us recognize is 2 sets of 10 notes, followed by 2 sets of 11. Maker's Ruin (25s), Heartless (23s), and More than Truth (2s) all follow this pattern.

Ominous Prognosticks has a common motif (at ~70s) that sounds vaguely similar, built out of a generally rising scale of notes, but it's a set of 10 notes, followed by 8, and then repeated. This same arrangement appears in other Heavensward specific songs that deal with Ishgard, like Imagination (40s). Both songs then go into a similar set of 7 notes 3 times, before changing. Ominous Prognosticks loops from the start, while Imagination goes into the vocal section, whereas The Maker's Ruin and the others have no such comparison. This actually seems to be the Heavensward motif (142s), which contains both the first 2 pairs, as well as the trio.

Note that I have absolutely no musical training, so this is all from ear, and I have no idea how to describe it. I might be completely wrong.

The Maker's Ruin is a surprisingly short track but it has two distinct phrases. The theme as a whole becomes associated with Ardbert and ends up in Heartless (video has Omega spoilers) and More than Truth (ShB spoilers). Heartless also mixes in the WoL motif from Torn from the Heavens.

Where it gets trickier is that the second phrase specifically becomes a component of the main Heavensward theme, as heard in Ominous Prognosticks, Imagination and lots of other places. They diverge after the first 7 notes but boy do you hear those notes a lot.

The game's soundtrack is something else when it comes to motifs and callbacks, the only other franchise that I can think of which even comes close is Kingdom Hearts. One of these days I'm going to drive myself nuts trying to document them all.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Gato posted:

The Maker's Ruin is a surprisingly short track but it has two distinct phrases. The theme as a whole becomes associated with Ardbert and ends up in Heartless (video has Omega spoilers) and More than Truth (ShB spoilers). Heartless also mixes in the WoL motif from Torn from the Heavens.

Where it gets trickier is that the second phrase specifically becomes a component of the main Heavensward theme, as heard in Ominous Prognosticks, Imagination and lots of other places. They diverge after the first 7 notes but boy do you hear those notes a lot.

The game's soundtrack is something else when it comes to motifs and callbacks, the only other franchise that I can think of which even comes close is Kingdom Hearts. One of these days I'm going to drive myself nuts trying to document them all.

So I hear that now. The 7 note piece that's repeated (usually) 3 times in all of the Heavensward songs are the first 7 notes the 11 note pair that always show up in the other three.

Orcs and Ostriches fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Dec 17, 2020

Eox
Jun 20, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
The jingle that plays when you get the right door in Lyhe Ghiah sounds identical to the opening few notes of Freefall and I panic a little every time.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Blockhouse posted:

My favorite bit of music synch in this game is still how during Shinryu Ex the Stormblood main theme part of the Worm's Tail plays right when the Protostar fires and the lyrics kick in while you're running over Shinryu's tail dodging lasers

Mine is when the rocking Leviathan remix kicks into high gear just as Levi starts blasting you with massive laser beams in E3S.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

The entirety of Ravana Ex's second phase synching with the music is goddamn magical and it is a tragedy that few people get to experience this any more due to level sync and ilvl bloat causing you to push him too fast. Only really works with min ilvl now.

The actual best music sync is the world 2nd clear of Bahamut Prime though. Holy poo poo that was tense.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Eox posted:

The jingle that plays when you get the right door in Lyhe Ghiah sounds identical to the opening few notes of Freefall and I panic a little every time.

I think that's a normal state in Lyhe Ghiah. I've found I prefer the roulette wheel variant, just because there's no perception there that the inevitable bad result was your fault.

And my favorite musical moment in the game will always be Those Piano Notes coming in for the final boss of The Twinning.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Cleretic posted:

I think that's a normal state in Lyhe Ghiah. I've found I prefer the roulette wheel variant, just because there's no perception there that the inevitable bad result was your fault.

And my favorite musical moment in the game will always be Those Piano Notes coming in for the final boss of The Twinning.

If we're talking about best musical moment in general, the boss intro in the Twinning is right up there but still beaten by That Scene right before the climax of 5.0 and the intro to the Nidhogg fight in 3.3.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Locus is kinda a letdown after A Long Fall. I would have preferred Rise if nothing else.

The Faith in Her Fury - Primogenitor - Dragonsong - Freefall - Revenge of the Horde combo is solid gold though.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Almost forgot:
Thordan Ex when the screen shatters and Heroes starts playing and Thordan is 100% NOT on his last legs.. :magical:

Eox
Jun 20, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
I mean he doesn't get any new ones before we put him in the ground

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
So many of the posts are like you're discussing a game I haven't played, because for me the main quest so far is:

1. Pirates did something mysterious.
2. A mysterious masked man did something mysterious.
3. From time to time I float in front of a crystal while invisible Tilda Swinton says random words.

Eox
Jun 20, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Those are all recurring themes but it's a steady buildup to the things we're talking about. Two out of three of those things occur in this very patch, actually.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Dick Trauma posted:

So many of the posts are like you're discussing a game I haven't played, because for me the main quest so far is:

3. From time to time I float in front of a crystal while invisible Tilda Swinton says random words.

There is a fair amount of buildup but it is one of the few cases where you can say the buildup pays off, even if it takes a while.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

Dick Trauma posted:

I'm literally about to finish Stormblood and 90% of the story posts are like ???

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Deathlove posted:

I'm literally about to finish Stormblood and 90% of the story posts are like ???

Shadowbringers is a trip, man.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Begemot posted:

That's chart is bullshit, superbolide almost never helps you AVOID death :v:

I still think that in literally any other situation than if your health is cratering and the healer is obviously overwhelmed that superbolide is the very definition of "Weird Flex"

EDIT: I never forget the first time I heard the final phase of the Titan battle kick in. It was a magical moment where the music suddenly goes from very good to great.

Unlucky7 fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Dec 17, 2020

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

man I wish Tilda Swinton was in this game

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Imagine how much time you'd gain in MMOs if stuff was just closer together and it didn't take like a minute to get from the BSM guild to the nearest aetheryte.

Out of combat movement speed should just be, and look exactly like, Vanquish movement.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_tysaJyJ1hA

edit: actually in-combat should be Vanquish too. All action games should copy Vanquish

bewilderment fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Dec 17, 2020

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

bewilderment posted:

Imagine how much time you'd gain in MMOs if stuff was just closer together and it didn't take like a minute to get from the BSM guild to the nearest aetheryte.

Out of combat movement speed should just be, and look exactly like, Vanquish movement.

edit: actually in-combat should be Vanquish too. All action games should copy Vanquish

That's why dancer is the best class.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

Do Bojzan mobs not give XP anymore? I was on a freshly 71 AST and wasn't getting XP or Mettle for mobs, just for FATES. Didn't it all use to give XP and Mettle?

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

They've never given either XP or mettle.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

Well shows how much attention I was paying back when that first was a thing.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
I think one of the tutorials made it sound like you get a pitance of mettle from the Bozja fights?

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

It's probably more obvious now that the zone is not just jam-packed with roving gangs of skirmish doers, plus I haven't been in for probably a month or more.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x141 KERNEL PANIC

bewilderment posted:

This is someone who has never played FFXI. :v:

Though ffxi is slightly better now with HP warps. I've never felt that XIV needs faster travel.

Kazy fucked around with this message at 08:01 on Dec 17, 2020

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Kazy posted:

This is someone who has never played FFXI. :v:

Though ffxi is slightly better now with HP warps. I've never felt that XIV needs faster travel.

They're right though, any time your character stops for more than a few seconds they should take a smoke break

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

i just did the level 50 dark knight quest and i really just want to give my character a hug right now

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Kerrzhe posted:

i just did the level 50 dark knight quest and i really just want to give my character a hug right now

I like how that series of quests is basically about asking "Aren't you tired of playing the hero and always being nice?" and the WoL's canonical answer is "no, I would like to continue being nice, actually."

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Shadowbringers tank role quests.
"Sheesh, this guy's a bit intense, what's his deal?"
"I HAVE PLACED A SCAR ON MY BODY FOR EVERY ONE HE PUT ON MY SOUL!"
"Ok right, dark knight. Now I get it."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

broken pixel
Dec 16, 2011

I made a very specific image for anyone traversing Omegascape for the first time: