Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I'm against improv on a moral level.

Just read the script god damnit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Gargamel Gibson posted:

It's hosed up that QI has just 4 panelist spots and every week one of them is wasted on Alan Davies.

There it is, the worst possible QI take.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

What letter are they on now?

El Fideo
Jun 10, 2016

I trusted a rhino and deserve all that came to me

Are you guys making GBS threads on Top Gear??

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K7CnMQ4L9Pc

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Ok that dismount on 4:42 is obvious, but drat well done.

Stingwing
Mar 26, 2010

Thank you Mr President for Making America Great Again! USA #1! I shouldn't have to understand other cultures, I'm a god damn American hero.

El Fideo posted:

:lol: I wasn't expecting this to be this good

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

GoutPatrol posted:

There are a hundred long form improv podcasts that can offer good stuff. It is different from Whose Line, less structured, but it works better in a podcast format.

Yeah but that’s long form (which I do prefer but it’s a pretty different beast) I don’t know how many other options you have for short form

Gargamel Gibson
Apr 24, 2014

SiKboy posted:

The gently caress is this nonsense?

sweet geek swag posted:

There it is, the worst possible QI take.

Come at me! Alan Davies is lame as poo poo!

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...

Sweevo posted:

If I sit down to watch QI and see John Sessions, Rory McGrath, Rory Bremner, Gyles Brandreth, or Jeremy Clarkson then it's getting switched straight off regardless of who else is on. Not a great fan of Arthur Smith either (he's someone only funny to other comedians).

It's the natural lifecycle of the UK comedian to become low energy reactionary versions of themselves. Accompanied by writing a light comedic novel and having a column in the Guardian.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Best QI panelists are Sue Perkins and that old guy who has an anecdote for literally everything, don't @ me. :colbert:

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

I have to say that it's weird how it suddenly became so easier to have at least one female panelist for each episode after Sandi took over.

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
man the indiana jones films have not aged well

Kanine has a new favorite as of 13:48 on Dec 17, 2020

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Stingwing posted:

:lol: I wasn't expecting this to be this good

Stewart Lee's one of the greatest stand ups ever, check him out

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Gargamel Gibson posted:

Come at me! Alan Davies is lame as poo poo!

Alan Davies is the butt of the show. In the early seasons it was pretty much his job to set off the Obvious But Wrong Answer alarm at least once an episode. He mostly got the job because he was better known for playing an unwholesomely clever person on Jonathan Creek. He's good because he knows this and takes it in good part.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Jedit posted:

Alan Davies is the butt of the show. In the early seasons it was pretty much his job to set off the Obvious But Wrong Answer alarm at least once an episode. He mostly got the job because he was better known for playing an unwholesomely clever person on Jonathan Creek. He's good because he knows this and takes it in good part.

The original plan for QI was sort of a school motif, with Davies and Fry as team captains--Fry as the 'smart kid' and Davies as the class clown (I think Michael Palin was host). That wouldn't have had nearly the staying power of what we got, but they definitely made the right choice in deciding the big thing to retain about that structure was Davies as a class clown figure.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

nonathlon posted:

It's the natural lifecycle of the UK comedian to become low energy reactionary versions of themselves. Accompanied by writing a light comedic novel and having a column in the Guardian.

The Guardian if they were ever any good (I much prefer angry woke Frankie Boyle to lovely edgelord Frankie Boyle), some right-wing Sunday rag if they're 99% of BBC panel show fodder.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Kanine posted:

man the indian jones films have not aged well
https://scroll.in/reel/805944/temple-of-doom-is-the-indiana-jones-movie-that-indians-wont-forget-in-a-hurry

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

At least in Temple of Doom Indy gives the artifact back to its rightful owners. Last Crusade is probably the least problematic, and might be the best. Connery and Ford are great together, and it's just classic nazi punching.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Disco Pope posted:

The Guardian if they were ever any good (I much prefer angry woke Frankie Boyle to lovely edgelord Frankie Boyle), some right-wing Sunday rag if they're 99% of BBC panel show fodder.

He was such a gaping rear end in a top hat early in his career he’d have to end world hunger for me to pay attention to him now.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

Barry Foster posted:

Stewart Lee's one of the greatest stand ups ever, check him out

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TrkPNwSRxtM&t=180s

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

quote:

the menu includes snakes and spiders, which are slurped up with relish by the local gentry, and the piece de resistance, monkey brain soup.

:colbert:

C'mon, do your research, man!

It was eyeball soup that Willie had after she was grossed out by the snakes and spiders (to her credit, she did not think it would contain eyes), and the monkey brains were whole, albeit chilled, as dessert.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

quote:

Spielberg made two more Indiana Jones films, The Last Crusade (1989) and The Kingdom of the Crystal Skull (2008), which featured stereotyped Nazi and Russian agents, respectively. Nobody does franchises, or ethnic stereotyping, like Hollywood.
drat that Hollywood and it's bigotry towards the oppressed ethnicity of Nazi!

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

I know we talk about x-files a lot, but I barely made it ten minutes into the one about a haunted shaman skeleton that an archaeologist dug up in the grey and drizzly pine forest of vancouver ecuador because the main dudes accent was so fuckin bad

Fish of hemp
Apr 1, 2011

A friendly little mouse!

Ambitious Spider posted:

At least in Temple of Doom Indy gives the artifact back to its rightful owners. Last Crusade is probably the least problematic, and might be the best. Connery and Ford are great together, and it's just classic nazi punching.

The only woman character is a literal nazi whore.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

hawowanlawow posted:

I know we talk about x-files a lot, but I barely made it ten minutes into the one about a haunted shaman skeleton that an archaeologist dug up in the grey and drizzly pine forest of vancouver ecuador because the main dudes accent was so fuckin bad

My favorite Egregiously Vancouver moment in the X-Files was when they were in “my hometown,” and they didn’t even remotely try with any of the visual details.

Especially when there was an early 00s mecha anime I was watching at the time that did nail all the local flavor, somehow.

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

let's put the monkey brains dinner scene from temple of doom in the next movie but now indiana jones is hunting for artifacts in sweden, the willie scott analogue is a doctoral student from south asia, and the meal is surströmming

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer

Fish of hemp posted:

And still a better-realized, more well-rounded character than Willie in ToD.

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Fish of hemp posted:

least problematic. And she's a honey pot not a sex worker (not that there's anything wrong with sex work). At least she's an adult when she gets with Indy, and not a child.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Um, actually, there's also a different Nazi lady who yells "ALARM!"

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

The tank fight is still top-form 80s spectacle fighting

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Ambitious Spider posted:

least problematic. And she's a honey pot not a sex worker (not that there's anything wrong with sex work). At least she's an adult when she gets with Indy, and not a child.

Also she's a Nazi.

The thing that aged least well about Last Crusade is the model work. The plane that flies into the tunnel is an entirely different colour to the previous scene, and when the turret comes off the tank in the cliff scene you can clearly see there's no entrance beneath it - just the mount you'd find on a plastic kit.

Gargamel Gibson
Apr 24, 2014

Fish of hemp posted:

Wtf dude, why do you think she's a whore?

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Gargamel Gibson posted:

Wtf dude, why do you think she's a whore?

Because she sleeps with the Jones boys as part of her job as a spy.

But as has been pointed out, that makes her a honeypot, not a prostitute.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Dude wtf?!?!

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

El Fideo posted:

holy poo poo

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

muscles like this! posted:

A weird thing about Studio 60 was that Mark McKinney was supposed to help behind the scenes with some of the in universe sketches since he had experience on shows like Kids in the Hall and SNL. Either Sorkin didn't listen to him or the other Kids were the talented ones.

Know this is old but I'm catching up on this thread. Slings and Arrows AND Superstore should put a rest to the second question. Even without being an SNL for a bit hes easily had the most success post KiTH of any of the kids.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

Turpitude II posted:

i think you might be forgetting about this bit. the mask was on tv semi-recently and i was like, boy, i sure forgot that he sodomises a man with a car pipe. seems bad.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qBR0oNp9A7c

In the og comic that this scene is based on he sticks a muffler down the guys throat and hangs the other guy up with chains before sticking spanners, wrenches, and screwdrivers in his head.

londonarbuckle
Feb 23, 2017

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

Know this is old but I'm catching up on this thread. Slings and Arrows AND Superstore should put a rest to the second question. Even without being an SNL for a bit hes easily had the most success post KiTH of any of the kids.

I've never found him quite as funny as the other Kids but he's kind of the only one who was good at disappearing into lots of different characters instead of mostly playing variations on "themselves." It didn't always allow him to stand out within the group but it helps for maintaining a non-KITH career.

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Dirt Road Junglist posted:

Especially when there was an early 00s mecha anime I was watching at the time that did nail all the local flavor, somehow.

incredible goon sentence

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiaer
Oct 6, 2020

Dirt Road Junglist posted:

My favorite Egregiously Vancouver moment in the X-Files was when they were in “my hometown,” and they didn’t even remotely try with any of the visual details.

Well, what city HASN'T Vancouver played? I think every metro area in the country has been Vancouvered in a show.