Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Platystemon)

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,

T-man posted:

99% of the processing capacity is running a horrendously ineffective bitcoin miner and you have to rent it from musk if you want to use it for other purposes. (in addition to the 50k implant and the 20k he charges for installation)

remember that the original premise of The Matrix was not that the machines were harvesting living humans for their raw energy, which is silly if you think too much about it

but that they keep humans around because growing human beings and using their spare processing cycles was an insanely efficient way to create more computational power, which is cool but maybe you have to think about it too much for an action movie

my point is, the actual future is going to be enslaving human minds in a Matrix in order to harness their brain power to mine bitcoins

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pigz
Jul 12, 2004

Nearly as overlooked as Joe Mauer

gross. especially the way they write.. it's creepy.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

So basically the goal was to increase engagement through additional user input but the additional thought required (rather than pure stimulus + response) actually immediately decreased engagement numbers and they had to shut it down before it was too late because their entire business model is based on MORE ENGAGEMENTS MORE CLICKS MORE EYES and anything that runs contrary to this for any reason is poison to their stock valuation.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

Ruffian Price posted:

lmao at tech companies that talk big how agile they are, how quickly they respond to the changing market, only to yell "no! you're doing it wrong!" at the majority of their users

Maybe 15 years ago tech was about nimbly responding to new demands of users, now it's about consolidating power and manipulating people to monetize them better. Tech companies don't even pretend they care about what users want anymore, it's completely shifted the other way to the companies telling users they are doing it wrong until they change or leave.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

uber should add loot boxes in some way

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Every Uber is a loot crate when the last guy leaves his wallet in the back

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

i say swears online posted:

uber should add loot boxes in some way

If they ever get self-driving cars going every 100th or so fare should have a little gift box for the passenger (like a $10 gift card or maybe a hat or something) and every 10,000th or so fare should have a sweet ~$100 prize like a quality, fashionable jacket with Uber branding or some poo poo. The cool prizes will go viral and a small number of people with too much money and/or addictive personalities will start buying fares just for the chance of getting a prize, tapping into the same class of "whales" that game app developers now cash in on.

Uber, you can buy this original idea for a mere $200,000, please PM for details.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

other side too, if you pick up so many riders in a 24 hour period, they send you cosmetics for your car

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

Could just copy the entire gacha model, they already have a database of exaggerated characters with assigned star ratings

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

https://twitter.com/secmeme/status/1339231308128653314?s=20

Gods_Butthole
Aug 9, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

You can take my empty quotes from my cold dead hands

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Gods_Butthole posted:

You can take my empty quotes from my cold dead hands

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Gods_Butthole
Aug 9, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

https://twitter.com/ddddarby/status/1339387626780983301

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Why does facebook have thousands of gallons of drilling fluid anyway

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Milo and POTUS posted:

it's actually spent fuel for the zuck models before they integrated a toast -> fuel converter

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Milo and POTUS posted:

Sounds like a HDD operation that was just abandoned in place when it hit hard rock in a place where hard rock wasn't expected. Not actually a real IRL big deal IMO, but the permitting agencies probably hate it.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 213 days!

Jazerus posted:

it's actually spent fuel for the zuck models before they integrated a toast -> fuel converter

he had to process many humans in order to adapt enough to wear their skins like suits

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

pigz posted:

gross. especially the way they write.. it's creepy.

I can envision the Google docs, meetings, and weeks spent crafting this example of tweeting par excellence

Iverron
May 13, 2012

withak posted:

Sounds like a HDD operation that was just abandoned in place when it hit hard rock in a place where hard rock wasn't expected. Not actually a real IRL big deal IMO, but the permitting agencies probably hate it.

just read the article on this for the first time and I know that the current lines exist because of telecoms and all but something about the Facebook part of this made me :crackping: pretty good there

Iverron has issued a correction as of 08:14 on Dec 17, 2020

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Did someone say Facebook?

https://twitter.com/JohnPaczkowski/status/1339375939369615360

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
ah lovely, the corporate wars of cyberpunk 2077 will soon become reality

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013
Dueling ads doesn’t quite have the same panache as private security forces and strike teams.

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

i study the art of posthido and will therefore act as a rouge posting samurai for whichever master gets the most creds. i will effortpost FOR YOU

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

T-man posted:

i study the art of posthido and will therefore act as a rouge posting samurai for whichever master gets the most creds. i will effortpost FOR YOU

it's kinda funny Shadowrun missed out on having a Shitposter archetype considering their expansion books in the 90s were printed as if they had messageboard commentary on em, replete with flamewars, fuckers doxxing each other and hilarious shitposting.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Vox Nihili posted:

So basically the goal was to increase engagement through additional user input but the additional thought required (rather than pure stimulus + response) actually immediately decreased engagement numbers and they had to shut it down before it was too late because their entire business model is based on MORE ENGAGEMENTS MORE CLICKS MORE EYES and anything that runs contrary to this for any reason is poison to their stock valuation.

i mean, they changed their :emptyquote: function to not be emptyquote what were they expecting lmao

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

Jazerus posted:

it's actually spent fuel for the zuck models before they integrated a Sweet Baby Ray's -> fuel converter

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

https://twitter.com/jaapstronks/status/1336633995212304390

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Facebook was really pissing off the town with that landing station because they're known for pristine beachfront, the entire town is zoned residential and small enough that they don't have traffic lights, and they don't even have cell phone service. The two adjacent lots are also unoccupied and since it's a logistically ideal place for cable landings, it sets a precedent allowing tech companies to take over the place.

Leon Sumbitches posted:

Drone flamethrower? For what ends??
Because European honeybees (which are also the breed common in North America) don't have the gene that allows them to vibrate and cook murder hornets, the standard protocol in the US and Canada is to grab a few for study then burn the entire tree.
This gets even better now that we know what an incredibly massive breach this was, affecting 18,000 customers including the Federal Reserve, Treasury Department, every branch of the US military, National Labs including Los Alamos, and 18000-33000 others. The cause? The SolarWinds update software was compomised in March after the attacker discovered the password to the update server was "solardinws123" and no, I'm not joking. They're pointing against Russia and APT29, but every major government is constantly doing this stuff to anyone they can.

exmachina
Mar 12, 2006

Look Closer

chairface posted:

it's kinda funny Shadowrun missed out on having a Shitposter archetype considering their expansion books in the 90s were printed as if they had messageboard commentary on em, replete with flamewars, fuckers doxxing each other and hilarious shitposting.

Don't need rules for that. I mean deckers are the archetype, and the fluff for them does talk about this, but in general you shouldn't print rules you don't need in pen and paper RPGs.

Mage the Ascension had a rote for Big Red Titles (I think they called it Branding) in either the Virtual Adept tradbook or the Virtual Web sourcebooks

Marzzle
Dec 1, 2004

Bursting with flavor

GWBBQ posted:

Facebook was really pissing off the town with that landing station because they're known for pristine beachfront, the entire town is zoned residential and small enough that they don't have traffic lights, and they don't even have cell phone service. The two adjacent lots are also unoccupied and since it's a logistically ideal place for cable landings, it sets a precedent allowing tech companies to take over the place.

Because European honeybees (which are also the breed common in North America) don't have the gene that allows them to vibrate and cook murder hornets, the standard protocol in the US and Canada is to grab a few for study then burn the entire tree.

This gets even better now that we know what an incredibly massive breach this was, affecting 18,000 customers including the Federal Reserve, Treasury Department, every branch of the US military, National Labs including Los Alamos, and 18000-33000 others. The cause? The SolarWinds update software was compomised in March after the attacker discovered the password to the update server was "solardinws123" and no, I'm not joking. They're pointing against Russia and APT29, but every major government is constantly doing this stuff to anyone they can.

particularly embarrassing because the media is like "THIS IS STATE LEVEL ACTOR CYBERWAR" and it's actually just someone guessing their lovely password as if you'd need billions poured into R+D to do that. like drat, solarwinds couldn't even use public/private keys or anything? just a 13 character password protecting our critical national CYBERINFRASTRUCTURE?

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

If my email is secured better than your critical infrastructure you have a huge problem.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
https://twitter.com/advertisedtwit/status/1339326110375563264?s=20

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

the SolarWinds password wasn't even guessed, it was posted in plaintext on GitHub

strange feelings re Daisy
Aug 2, 2000

GWBBQ posted:

Holy poo poo that is way worse than I initially thought.

Ruffian Price posted:

the SolarWinds password wasn't even guessed, it was posted in plaintext on GitHub
I couldn't tell if you were joking so I had to look this up and roflmao
https://www.theregister.com/2020/12/16/solarwinds_github_password/

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

https://twitter.com/tomgara/status/1339747034375593984

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

the birth of a nation but its an apple ad

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

https://twitter.com/pelhambluefund/status/1339762264920879104

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DragQueenofAngmar
Dec 29, 2009

You shall not pass!

...what? is this story actually just “pictograms can communicate information” or am I being dumb?