Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

A general awareness that Ireland is not part of the UK suggests you’re better informed than much of the government

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aeble
Oct 21, 2010

Lord of the Llamas posted:

I'm starting a new business right now and I'm terrified to offer sales to EU countries because I don't have the faintest idea what I'm supposed to do or how to do it with Brexit.

Panic, according to those ads on the radio with a ticking clock in the background.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
https://twitter.com/dansabbagh/status/1339551750894870532

lol I missed this one being given out

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde

Aeble posted:

Panic, according to those ads on the radio with a ticking clock in the background.

They should use the Sonic drowning music.

radmonger
Jun 6, 2011

WTO exit? In case anyone else wondered:

quote:

Only 14 countries are not WTO members. These nations do not wish to become members. They are Aruba, Eritrea, Kiribati, Kosovo, Marshall Islands, Micronesia, Monaco, Nauru, North Korea, Palau, the Palestinian Territories, San Marino, Sint Maarten, and Tuvalu.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

I'm starting a new business right now and I'm terrified to offer sales to EU countries because I don't have the faintest idea what I'm supposed to do or how to do it with Brexit.
I'm assuming that HMRC are going to do gently caress all and so you just need to be ready for bounced items.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
It owns how no deal has probably always been Boris preferred choice but he couldn't even be bothered to do basic prep for it

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

radmonger posted:

WTO exit? In case anyone else wondered:

It means exiting the EU on WTO terms, not exiting the WTO.

Tindalos
May 1, 2008

notaspy posted:

That was loving amazing. The ultimate guilt by association.

Charles Dickens had written an anti-Semitic character in another book thus you gift is the hight of anti-Semitism.

Guess we removed Dickens from all gcse reading lists after that did we?

Yeah, you can really see how important Corbyn is.

All these things suddenly getting called out as antisemitic because he mentioned them. It's like "Imperialism: A Study," where newspapers were happy praising it until it was pointed out Corbyn had written a foreword for one edition.

If there wasn't a Corbyn around, how would people ever notice these antisemitic things?

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

"If there is no hungry kids, who will run along my car like in the old days with hands outstretched for the crumbs I throw at them?"

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/politics/breaking-keir-starmer-sets-out-23182124

quote:

Keir Starmer sets out plan to tackle anti-Semitism after Labour EHRC probe
The party's "Action Plan for Driving Out Anti-Semitism" has been approved by the Equality and Human Rights Commission

Keir Starmer has set out his plan to drive anti-Semitism out of the Labour party.

The party's "Action Plan for Driving Out Anti-Semitism" has been approved by the Equality and Human Rights Commission (EHRC), after a probe found unlawful acts of harassment and breaches of the Equality Act.

In a joint statement, Mr Starmer and Deputy Leader Angela Rayner said they had made rooting out anti-Semitism in the party had been their number one priority.

They said: “The Equality and Human Rights Commission report on antisemitism in the Labour Party is incredibly difficult reading for everyone who loves our party and wants it be a force for good.

"But its findings were clear and stark: the Labour Party breached the Equality Act in terms of unlawful harassment and indirect discrimination towards our Jewish members.

“We failed the Jewish community, our members, our supporters and the country. That is why we must act to drive antisemitism out of our party and change the processes, structures and the culture of the party to ensure Jewish people feel safe to return to their political home.

How about those Jewish people who are on the left feeling safe in the party? Or don't they count?

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

Darth Walrus posted:

https://twitter.com/siennamarla/status/1339558835548254208?s=21

Yeah, nobody's going to be riding in to save us at the last minute.

There is a rapidly vanishing chance that this is propaganda doomsaying so people are relieved when a deal is signed at 11:59 on Dec 31st, but that would ignore that Boris and his chums have wanted this from the start.

I would not be surprised if the real battle was going on inside the Tory party between the ERG and more moderate* Tories.

* I.e, we can't starve all the people, who would work in our factories!

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

like lets work on the assumption that no deal brexit and a US trade deal was always the biggest driver behind brexit other than make tons of money. Destroying workers rights all that lot. SUrely you want to make sure the UK can actually survive a no deal brexit without too much disruption for too long while that gets finalised. Instead they've done gently caress all so they're going to have to accept whatever the EU offer

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

EULER'VE TO SEE IT VENN SOMEONE CALLS IT THE WRONG THING AND PROVOKES MY WRATH

Guavanaut posted:

I'm assuming that HMRC are going to do gently caress all and so you just need to be ready for bounced items.

I've read helpful guidance like sending items to the EU countries will be considered exports so you probably have to do stuff.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Grey Hunter posted:

* I.e, we can't starve all the people, who would work in our factories! rent our houses!
updated for modern economy

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

its ridiculous that the jewish chronicle gets treated as a legitimate media organisation

https://skwawkbox.org/2020/12/17/ex...litany-of-lies/

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Yeah, I’m pretty pissed off at ads like this targeted to my business accounts:

Yeah, like loving what?

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Grey Hunter posted:

* I.e, we can't starve all the people, who would work in our factories!
Just lol at the idea of there being factories still in Britain, or British people working in the few sweatshops that are still here.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Red Oktober posted:

Yeah, like loving what?

I think it's consciously trying to shift blame to businesses if their operations are interrupted in the new year - "we told you to get ready so it's your fault". Pretty much like saying "watch your head" after someone has already smashed it on the doorframe

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

Grey Hunter posted:

There is a rapidly vanishing chance that this is propaganda doomsaying so people are relieved when a deal is signed at 11:59 on Dec 31st,
Comedy option, this happens, everyone breathes a sigh of relief, and the EU tells us it's too late since we Brexited 59 minutes ago :v:

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

notaspy posted:

That was loving amazing. The ultimate guilt by association.

Charles Dickens had written an anti-Semitic character in another book thus you gift is the hight of anti-Semitism.

Guess we removed Dickens from all gcse reading lists after that did we?

I'm taking my daughter to the cinema to see A Muppet's Christmas Carol on Saturday, the most antisemitic day to do a thing.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Can't help noticing that there's a new film or something out or going to be on tv over xmas of Beatrix Potter (played by Dawn French) meeting with a young boy, noted anti-semite, one Roald Dahl.
I'm sure this is bad for Criminy Jorbyn.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Jose posted:

like lets work on the assumption that no deal brexit and a US trade deal was always the biggest driver behind brexit other than make tons of money. Destroying workers rights all that lot. SUrely you want to make sure the UK can actually survive a no deal brexit without too much disruption for too long while that gets finalised. Instead they've done gently caress all so they're going to have to accept whatever the EU offer

I feel like the idea that there's some grand master plan behind this may be a bit of a just-world fallacy, assuming competence and intelligence from a political system that demonstrably does not select for it. We should be more open to the alternative possibility, that Alexander Boris de Pfeffel Johnson is a lazy, coddled idiot with delusions of invincibility who really does believe his own hype about Britannia unchained straddling the world like a mighty colossus.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Just lol at the idea of there being factories still in Britain, or British people working in the few sweatshops that are still here.

I was sticking with the outdated conservative world view thank you very much!

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Darth Walrus posted:

I feel like the idea that there's some grand master plan behind this may be a bit of a just-world fallacy, assuming competence and intelligence from a political system that demonstrably does not select for it. We should be more open to the alternative possibility, that Alexander Boris de Pfeffel Johnson is a lazy, coddled idiot with delusions of invincibility who really does believe his own hype about Britannia unchained straddling the world like a mighty colossus.

Johnson is the only one I haven't seen doing the 'power stance' so how can he even begin to imagine he can straddle the world like a mighty colossus:

Oh, I found one!

Just look at that (but not while eating). And people had the nerve to say they wouldn't vote for Corbs because he was scruffy!

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Dec 17, 2020

domhal
Dec 30, 2008

0.000% of Communism has been built. Evil child-murdering billionaires still rule the world with a shit-eating grin. All he has managed to do is make himself *sad*. It has, however, made him into a very, very smart boy with something like a university degree in Truth. Instead of building Communism, he now builds a precise model of this grotesque, duplicitous world.

happyhippy posted:

"If there is no hungry kids, who will run along my car like in the old days with hands outstretched for the crumbs I throw at them?"

Its £25,000. How many could it feed, six children?

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Grey Hunter posted:

There is a rapidly vanishing chance that this is propaganda doomsaying so people are relieved when a deal is signed at 11:59 on Dec 31st

loving lol if you think any of Boris's lot are going to be working on NYE

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

Julio Cruz posted:

loving lol if you think any of Boris's lot are going to be working on NYE

Imagine a very private party where everyone knows how much to bribe the journalists tip the waiters, so that news of it never reaches the two newspapers who'd actually report on a bunch of posh cunts breaking the rules.

gh0stpinballa
Mar 5, 2019

labour want more BAME and LGBTQ people to share responsibility for the brexit catastrophe.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2020/dec/17/liz-truss-record-picking-trade-advisers-white-male-equalities-shift

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/politics/breaking-keir-starmer-sets-out-23182124

How about those Jewish people who are on the left feeling safe in the party? Or don't they count?
Expect the word "kapo" to be used a lot in the twitter discourse.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

Ah, a fun time of year in the pandemic.

"Hello, here's the bill for the coming year of the thing you're not using and forgot about due to the pandemic"

Aah, cancel, cancel!

"Ok you can cancel, you'll just have to pay the coming month where you're not going to use it"

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Convex posted:

I think it's consciously trying to shift blame to businesses if their operations are interrupted in the new year - "we told you to get ready so it's your fault". Pretty much like saying "watch your head" after someone has already smashed it on the doorframe

It's more like saying 'prepare to fall off a destructive cliff edge' as you push someone off a loving cliff.

(Reminder that Teresa May used exactly those loving words to describe Brexit in 2016...)

RBA-Wintrow
Nov 4, 2009

Clapping Larry

Rappaport posted:

Gravlax is fantastic, but may I direct your attention to the wonders of lutefisk? If you weren't sold at "fish soaked in lye", you should try smelling the stuff, it will wake the dead. Which I suppose is sort of Christmassy?

This looks, smells and tastes like soap.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

You couldn't make it up:

https://www.plymouthherald.co.uk/news/uk-world-news/french-firm-wins-royal-navy-3817922

quote:

French firm wins Royal Navy Type 31 frigates contract
Thales will supply new warships' 'digital heart'

A French defence contractor has announced it will deliver the "digital heart" that powers the Royal Navy's next generation Type 31 Frigates.

Thales - a French multinational company that designs and builds electrical systems and provides services for the aerospace, defence, transportation and security markets - says it will provide the RN "with the most advanced mission systems to protect UK maritime interests globally".

A spokesperson for Thales said: "Thales, as part of Babcock Team 31, has been selected to deliver the digital heart of the UK’s next generation frigates.

"Thales will be the mission systems integrator for the Type 31 programme, delivering the combat system, communications systems and the navigation and bridge system. The T31 general purpose frigate programme will provide the UK Government with a fleet of five ships, at an average production cost of £250 million per ship.

"Following a comprehensive competitive process, T31, a capable, adaptable and technology-enabled global frigate will be the UK Royal Navy’s newest class of warships, with the first ship scheduled in the water in 2023.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

That's normally called a computer.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Bobstar posted:

Ah, a fun time of year in the pandemic.

"Hello, here's the bill for the coming year of the thing you're not using and forgot about due to the pandemic"

Aah, cancel, cancel!

"Ok you can cancel, you'll just have to pay the coming month where you're not going to use it"
Be very generous with cancelling direct debits, contesting charges, and chargebacks IMO

If you are in the position to threaten a chargeback on something it's phenomenal how fast poo poo gets sorted

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

OwlFancier posted:

That's normally called a computer.

From hell's digital heart, I stab at Thee

Genuinely just looks like he's unsticking his Colossal bollocks from his leg there. (Based on his demeanor I'm assuming he has huge balls and a tiny knob)

Red Oktober posted:

Yeah, like loving what?

While you were toiling to prevent your business from dying during lockdown, Sabrina the Millipede was studying the ActBlade

Failed Imagineer fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Dec 17, 2020

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

International arms company builds arms for country, read all about it

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I think "malpede" would be "bad feet"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
As opposed to malpaed which would be the rest of the government advisors.