Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

CharlestheHammer posted:

I feel like the goggly eyes is a bit much

Yeah, they also need the shaking like those avatars lots of goons had for a while.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

romo gets slimed if he doesn't know if it's a catch

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
See now that would be fun.

This honestly feels lazy

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
Classic Fencing Response...BUT FUN!

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Simulcast the NFL in Fortnite.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://twitter.com/AndrewMarchand/status/1339383600953831425

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
The god at work

https://twitter.com/oliviadekker/status/1339086454903943168?s=21

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
wait is kevin harlan sam dekkker's father in law

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

MourningView posted:

Apparently so!

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

ESPN will just be SAS doing every show by June

Coco13
Jun 6, 2004

My advice to you is to start drinking heavily.

MourningView posted:

Can confirm.

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

FlamingLiberal posted:

ESPN will just be SAS doing every show by June

nah, SAS only does half their shows. the other half is Greeny.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

willing to gel up my hair and make this face as stephen a owns me with sports knowledge for a pittance

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
Stephen A. Smith DESTROYS Max Kellerman with logic and reason

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://twitter.com/notthefakeSVP/status/1339669127867330574

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Richard Deitsch has a good read about how Tom Rinaldi moved over to Fox Sports. It'll probably only be interesting if you have the specific interest in the backstage dealings of the broadcast world, but does include the most perfect detail for a story about Tom Rinaldi:

quote:

But Zager kept in touch with CAA just to see what was going on and as the months went on, Rinaldi remained unsigned. As it got closer to the fall and into an open (negotiating) window for Rinaldi, Zager met with Rinaldi in that most 2020 way — via Zoom.

“I loved those meetings, and I was going to be extremely disappointed if he didn’t come to us,” Zager said. “But I really enjoyed just getting to know him so much. I felt like I was going to be able to stay in touch with him even if he didn’t come to pass.”

Zager joked that he has never been in the same room with Rinaldi but through the multiple Zoom sessions and from what he knew from people who had worked with Rinaldi in the business, he was convinced it would be a great signing for Fox Sports. He answered Rinaldi’s many questions on why Fox was the right fit. (There was no piano music during the conversations.)

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Other than money, why would Rinaldi move to Fox? Does he think he's going to become their Jimmy Roberts or something?

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Josh Lyman posted:

Other than money, why would Rinaldi move to Fox? Does he think he's going to become their Jimmy Roberts or something?

His contract at ESPN ends as of 12/31/2020 and ESPN apparently wasn't going to re-sign or extend him. Seems like Fox is going to use him on a ton of stuff that they had the rights to, and Rinaldi wanted to roll with that.

quote:

Fox made an offer on the first day Rinaldi could receive contractual offers from others. “We wanted to show him that this was more than just a conversation and just getting to know him,” Zager said. “We wanted him to be here and felt like he could be a huge part of all of our events.”

Rinaldi accepted Fox’s deal at the end of November. He starts Jan. 2, with the Rose Bowl scheduled to be his last assignment for ESPN. He will be involved in Fox’s NFL coverage at a high level, appearing on the sidelines of NFL games and doing features. The same goes with college football, including a presence on Fox’s “Big Noon Kickoff.” Rinaldi will also have a role in Daytona 500 coverage as well as MLB Postseason coverage, He will also be heavily involved in Fox’s coverage of the 2022 World Cup.

On the issue of whether ESPN made an attempt to keep him, Rinaldi said he would not get into the financial aspects of the contract. It is a multi-year deal. “The financial piece of it, I’ll keep that private,” Rinaldi said. “All I can say is everything on the ESPN side has been fantastic. I’m not throwing that out as some trope. The opportunities ESPN has given me, the spots that it put me in, the stories I had a chance to tell, the events I had a chance to cover, the people I had an opportunity to meet, the memories I made, and the bonds built there, are incredible. They are a lifelong gift. ESPN handled everything on their end beautifully. But it was just an opportunity, a once in a lifetime opportunity to contribute to these events and these properties I’ve never had the chance to contribute to — the NFL, the World Cup, the World Series.”

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

James Andrew Miller (wrote that ESPN oral history book) said that Rinaldi specifically asked them not to match the offer so I don’t know that ESPN was entirely willing to cut him loose.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
maybe he wants to do something other than talk about family members with cancer while sad piano music plays for once in his career

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

MourningView posted:

maybe he wants to do something other than talk about family members with cancer while sad piano music plays for once in his career

This is a very distinct possibility, tbh

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

MourningView posted:

we’ll get an 8 minute piece in 2024 about how diabetes took Tony Stewart’s foot or something

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I don't watch NFL Live but I feel I should because they always seem to be having such a good time

https://twitter.com/minakimes/status/1340067504882913285?s=19

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

algebra testes posted:

I don't watch NFL Live but I feel I should because they always seem to be having such a good time

https://twitter.com/minakimes/status/1340067504882913285?s=19

I've been meaning to catch it ever since I saw this tweet. I need to know what the hell is going on over there

https://twitter.com/minakimes/status/1336440261946249223?s=19

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
I haven't watched it a ton but when I do it's usually about as good as one of those shows can be. Mina is obviously great and Marcus Spears is the best player turned studio guy in a long time. Orlovsky sucks though. He was fun as a guy on Twitter just doing random QB breakdown videos but once he got to TV he immediately jumped onto the obnoxious hot take path.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

https://twitter.com/MySportsUpdate/status/1341081081982947329

https://twitter.com/AndrewMarchand/status/1341078057671602176

gently caress yeah

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

The Athletic has a good breakdown on what the bowl cancellations cost ESPN (and Fox and CBS to lesser extents).

The Athletic posted:

Thus far, an estimated $21 million in TV advertising revenue alone has been lost from 14 canceled bowls, based on last year’s spending data provided by Chicago-based Standard Media Index that tracks ad spending. Most of the lost bowls are aired by ESPN or its family of networks, and the total includes the $1.29 million for the Celebration Bowl that’s functionally the national title game for historically Black colleges and universities.

While the Rose Bowl has been shifted from Pasadena, Calif., to AT&T Stadium in Arlington, Texas because of COVID-19 health safety measures, that’s not expected to have much of an effect on the TV broadcast or advertising as long as it airs. The game had the biggest TV ad revenue haul of all non-playoff bowls: $33.9 million last year and likely even more in 2020-21 as a playoff semifinal game.

Unsurprisingly, the fattest TV ad paydays for the networks are the CFP games. Combined, the three games generated an estimated $176.3 million in TV ad spending last season, per Standard Media Index’s data.

The LSU-Clemson title game’s advertising total was $84.5 million for ESPN, which aired the game Jan. 13. The semifinals were also big money-makers for the network: The LSU-Oklahoma Peach Bowl saw $45.2 million in TV ad spending while the Fiesta Bowl between Ohio State and Clemson had $46.5 million in broadcast ads.

quote:

Bowls are a nice payday under normal circumstances for ESPN, but they’re far from the network’s primary revenue driver.

Bowl money is dwarfed by the $9 monthly affiliate fees that ESPN collects from every household that subscribes to the network via cable and satellite providers, said Lee Berke, a veteran sports media consultant who runs LHB Sports, Entertainment & Media Inc.

“ESPN is generating approximately $8.4 billion annually before they sell a single ad,” he said. “So the bowls, CFP games, NBA, MLB, NFL and every other event on the network justify themselves financially by profitably generating viewership that meet the needs of media distributors and affiliates.”

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
how is college football legal? lmao

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

how is college football legal? lmao
America

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Should have been a Scott Van Pelt muppet.

Robnoxious
Feb 17, 2004

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

Should have been a Scott Van Pelt muppet.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Chicago broadcasting veteran Jack Rosenberg has passed away at 94

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

The ESPN Megacasts for the CFP games will not have a coaches film room this year. This is all the alternate channel stuff:

ESPN posted:

Command Center (ESPN2): A multi-angle presentation, which includes up to four different vantage points at any one time, with statistics and real-time drive charts supplementing the game action.

Skycast (ESPNU): The popular view from above the action and behind the offense on most plays. This unique angle has long been one of ESPN’s alternate viewing options and is readily available on multiple games every week. New this year, replays will be shown regularly throughout the presentation.

DataCenter (ESPNEWS): A perfect catch-all viewing option, as ESPN’s main telecast will be surrounded by real-time stats, analytics, social media commentary and player information.

All-22 (ESPN App): Watch the game the same way players and coaches study film, with a vantage point high above the field of play. The angle allows for the 22 players on the field to be seen at all times, providing the ability to distinguish how plays develop.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

the all-22 is cool but i’d rather have the coaches’ room than datacenter; if i wanted to look at statistics and twitter i could just... have twitter open

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Declan MacManus posted:

the all-22 is cool but i’d rather have the coaches’ room than datacenter; if i wanted to look at statistics and twitter i could just... have twitter open

I liked film room too, but I'm guessing the reason was somewhere between between Covid protocols and probably a general lack of interest or desire to all fly in somewhere, especially with the risk that one or both games could be delayed if teams pop positive.

Then again on re-reading it they're only specifying this for the semifinal games, so it could be different for the finals.

E: Oh also:

quote:

the main broadcast feeds will feature Sean McDonough, Todd Blackledge, Todd McShay and Allison Williams for the relocated Rose Bowl and Chris Fowler, Kirk Herbstreit and Maria Taylor and Tom Rinaldi for the Sugar Bowl, but there will also be the ESPN Radio call (Joe Tessitore, Greg McElroy and Holly Rowe for the relocated Rose Bowl, Sean Kelley and Barrett Jones for the Sugar Bowl) and teams’ hometown radio feeds synced up with the game on ACC Network (Clemson and Notre Dame), SEC Network (Alabama) and the ESPN app (Ohio State).

Additionally, Herbstreit will still be on color but calling it remotely as he tested positive a couple days ago.

DJExile fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Dec 30, 2020

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://twitter.com/awfulannouncing/status/1344313055966949376

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Declan MacManus posted:

asking a bunch of old guys to sit in a room together bellowing about football is probably not a great idea at the moment.

Also they should go back to doing it once a year anyway, there aren't enough coaches who are good at being on TV to justify doing a bunch of them and it had been getting worse every year.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

MourningView posted:

asking a bunch of old guys to sit in a room together bellowing about football is probably not a great idea at the moment.

Also they should go back to doing it once a year anyway, there aren't enough coaches who are good at being on TV to justify doing a bunch of them and it had been getting worse every year.

Yeah the concept is awesome, but it depends super heavily on who's in there and how well they get along.

nice

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

DJExile posted:

Yeah the concept is awesome, but it depends super heavily on who's in there and how well they get along.

I went from having no opinion on gary patterson to wanting TCU to lose every game forever in like 30 minutes because he just does not shut the gently caress up