Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Zero VGS posted:

Police then told landlord that the tenant has to be the one to get a restraining/no-trespass order, as "the tenant might tell the landlord that the abuser was unwelcome when in fact the tenant keeps inviting the abuser back and is embarrassed to admit it".

I guess the question now is, can the landlord get a no-trespass if they have it in writing from the tenant that the abuser is unwelcome (or ban him regardless on justification of the constant noise complains from other tenants)? The tenant doesn't exactly have her poo poo together in general and I don't see her navigating the courts to do this herself, especially in this pandemic backlog.

The landlord should pony up the few hundred dollars for a local attorney to ask them, "will I really get sued if I prohibit this junkie person from coming on the property again? If I file a no-trespass on my own, without the tenant's help, will I have enough evidence to get one from just my testimony about all the problems he's causing? Will I have any recourse other than terminating the tenant's lease if she invites him back?

Do I need to find a friendly intervenor to force this young lady to contact some domestic violence assistance programs rather than try to self-help this situation?"

Edit: the landlord should also google "Legal Aid [My City/County]" and call them for additional resources.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Nonexistence posted:

I wonder how often criminal defense firms get paid up front by something other than crime money or a concerned relative

Middle class DUIs are pretty much the only time that it isn't dirty or family money. I was going to say white collar crime as well, but all of their money is loving dirty, too.

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020
Ah yes, the mythical "clean" american currency. Just your average Joe working for the government / fortune 500 / whoever, earning an honest buck. The crooked systems that fill my checkbook are beyond reproach!

Captain von Trapp
Jan 23, 2006

I don't like it, and I'm sorry I ever had anything to do with it.

Nonexistence posted:

I wonder how often criminal defense firms get paid up front by something other than crime money or a concerned relative

Money from web forums and Patreon? :ironicat:

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

Mr. Nice! posted:

Middle class DUIs are pretty much the only time that it isn't dirty or family money. I was going to say white collar crime as well, but all of their money is loving dirty, too.
Wouldn't a lot of non-money crimes be like that? Like OJ paid his lawyers with football money, not murder money

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

SCALIA: Stephen, I've heard that speed has something to do with it.

BREYER: Speed has everything to do with it.

Mr. Nice! posted:

That seems like a gross over estimate of how much criminal defense is paid in “dirty” money or family money

I know several people who paid crim lawyers for other crimes from whatever job they were working at the time

EwokEntourage fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Dec 16, 2020

thehoodie
Feb 8, 2011

"Eat something made with love and joy - and be forgiven"
Yeah as a criminal defence lawyer most of my non-legal aid clients work construction or some other trade and they are well capable of paying me with what I presume is legit money.

Most of them...

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
There's a lot of mom mortgaging the house for crim too though.

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.
So do you guys have some extra layer of protection against fraud or money laundering accusations? Of course intent matters, but it seems like there's a fairly obvious connection between "bank robber steals $1m" and "bank robber hires expensive defense lawyer."

What if your client is dumb enough to straight up tell you, "I'm using the money I stole to pay you?" Do you have some legal/ethical obligation to say something, or are you protected?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

EwokEntourage posted:

That seems like a gross over estimate of how much criminal defense is paid in “dirty” money or family money

I know several people who paid crim lawyers for other crimes from whatever job they were working at the time

you're right. I was a bit harsh. There's definitely an income band of people that pay out of pocket for offenses where the money isn't necessarily dirty. I was just joking saying that most of the crime committed in that pay range is DUI but I guess I should have included DV as well.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

DaveSauce posted:

So do you guys have some extra layer of protection against fraud or money laundering accusations? Of course intent matters, but it seems like there's a fairly obvious connection between "bank robber steals $1m" and "bank robber hires expensive defense lawyer."

What if your client is dumb enough to straight up tell you, "I'm using the money I stole to pay you?" Do you have some legal/ethical obligation to say something, or are you protected?

If your client is dumb enough to say that, you're supposed to tell him, "no."

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

blarzgh posted:

If your client is dumb enough to say that, you're supposed to tell him, "no."

Yeah, when you're talking $1M in stolen funds, you have to cut the lawyer in as an equity partner to the crime, it's not fee for service any more

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Devor posted:

Yeah, when you're talking $1M in stolen funds, you have to cut the lawyer in as an equity partner to the crime, it's not fee for service any more

I came across a lawyer on a case once who had a 12 year gap in his employment history.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

blarzgh posted:

I came across a lawyer on a case once who had a 12 year gap in his employment history.

I hope you kept his contact information.

Toona the Cat
Jun 9, 2004

The Greatest

blarzgh posted:

I didn't have a full time job between March 2011 and December 2018.

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

SCALIA: Stephen, I've heard that speed has something to do with it.

BREYER: Speed has everything to do with it.

blarzgh posted:

I know a lawyer that did federal time for some union shenanigans

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

blarzgh posted:

'Client outreach and networking'

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

DaveSauce posted:

No, and in fact the DOJ has been known to be total dicks to lawyers fighting crimes with what the DOJ asserts is dirty money.

https://www.natlawreview.com/article/use-tainted-assets-to-pay-attorney-fees-primer-pitfalls

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.

ulmont posted:

No, and in fact the DOJ has been known to be total dicks to lawyers fighting crimes with what the DOJ asserts is dirty money.

https://www.natlawreview.com/article/use-tainted-assets-to-pay-attorney-fees-primer-pitfalls

So that's the exact answer to my question, and it's shittier than I thought. Looks like the intent was there, but if I'm reading that right then the amendment was worded poorly and didn't offer any meaningful protection?

Seems like this would have a chilling effect on the willingness of lawyers to take on clients where this would be a risk. Is there any effort to find a solution, or is this not a big enough problem? I mean, the obvious counterpoint here is that any legal protection could be exploited by a lawyer who was willingly laundering money via legal fees, but I feel like that could be addressed without putting someone's livelihood on the line just for doing their job.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
Would it be lovely of me to post a link to the opinion from his reinstatement proceedings?

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Please do?

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
How about just the good stuff:

quote:

Background

Appellant was licensed to practice law in Texas in May 1978.   In October 1990, appellant was privately reprimanded by the State Bar of Texas (the Bar) for failing to timely respond to a grievance filed against appellant by one of his clients.   In December 1990, the Bar publicly reprimanded appellant for failing to timely respond to a grievance filed against appellant by another client.   In October 1991, appellant entered into an agreed judgment of suspension with the Bar in which appellant's license to practice law was suspended for thirty days and appellant was placed on probation for three years following the active suspension.   The suspension was based on findings appellant neglected the legal matters of four different clients.

In December 1993, appellant was convicted in federal court of being a conspirator in a scheme to commit mail fraud, wire fraud, and money laundering.   Appellant essentially agreed to hold fraudulently obtained funds for a client in appellant's attorney trust account until appellant prepared the necessary documents to transfer the funds to another entity.   Although appellant was not “completely aware” these were sham transactions, he admittedly learned in April 1991 that his client was engaged in conduct that might violate securities laws or federal criminal laws.   Even though appellant advised his client to change his behavior, appellant learned five months later the client's practices were continuing.   Appellant continued to represent the client for another year before terminating the relationship.   Appellant testified he made a bad choice because he was trying to develop a substantial oil and gas practice.

Appellant was sentenced to 134 months in prison and his license to practice law was suspended by the Bar. In 1994, the Fifth Circuit Court of Appeals reversed appellant's conviction because of trial errors by the federal district court.   Appellant was then released from prison, and the Bar reinstated his license to practice law.   Due to the death of his trial attorney, appellant was required to obtain new counsel to represent him in a second trial on the criminal charges.   Appellant's new counsel reviewed the conspiracy laws with appellant and appellant, for the first time, realized he might have violated those laws.   Appellant entered into a plea bargain agreement and, on April 17, 1998, was sentenced to sixty months in prison and a $10,000 fine and, upon release from prison, was placed on supervised release for a period of three years.

When appellant was released from prison, his probation officer told him he needed to resign his license to practice law.   On August 22, 2000, the Texas Supreme Court accepted appellant's resignation.   Because appellant agreed to assist the federal government in its prosecution of appellant's former client, appellant was discharged from supervised release early.

In 2006, appellant filed a petition seeking reinstatement of his license to practice law.   At the hearing on his petition, appellant testified he had worked as a paralegal, a tutor, and a tax preparer since being released from prison.   He spends a significant amount of time participating in activities and services at his temple and in volunteering for charitable causes.   His past experiences have deepened his faith and he now understands what is required to lead a moral life.   He is “older and wiser” and does not believe he will repeat his mistakes.   He believes his reinstatement is in the interest of the public because he can make an impact on the legal landscape and is in the interest of the legal profession because he can mentor other lawyers and help them avoid the problems he has encountered.   He also believes it is in the interest of justice to afford him a second chance.

(I guess anyone who wants to can just google some of this and figure him out, and even though this is public record and he's actually a pretty bad lawyer, he was a very nice guy, so everybody be cool, ok?)

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
For the benefit of goons who aren't hot poo poo lawyers, could you dumb that down so we they can understand that?

Particularly the bit where his attorney died. Was that something other than natural causes?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I'm interested in this bit: "Because appellant agreed to assist the federal government in its prosecution of appellant's former client,"

I realize attorney/client privilege isn't absolute, but I would have thought it at least extended far enough to not permit this.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Leperflesh posted:

I'm interested in this bit: "Because appellant agreed to assist the federal government in its prosecution of appellant's former client,"

I realize attorney/client privilege isn't absolute, but I would have thought it at least extended far enough to not permit this.
Really? It seems pretty obvious that the duty of confidence a lawyer owes their client does not and was never intended to cover conspiring with the client to commit crimes.

https://www.justia.com/criminal/working-with-a-criminal-lawyer/the-crime-fraud-exception/

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

quote:

Appellant was licensed to practice law in Texas

Appellant testified he made a bad choice because he was trying to develop a substantial oil and gas practice.

Wars have been waged for less, not a bad plan exactly.

quote:

Due to the death of his trial attorney, appellant was required to obtain new counsel to represent him in a second trial on the criminal charges.   Appellant's new counsel reviewed the conspiracy laws with appellant and appellant, for the first time, realized he might have violated those laws

This is the funniest poo poo. It took 2 lawyers to properly convince a lawyer he broke the law.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

On stories of evidencing intent to supply:

https://twitter.com/WillardFoxton/status/1339501338997235722

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp
Lmao loving bulk discount. What did he go to the Costco of coke? Cokestco?

There's only one group of people I know that get "bulk discounts" for illegal drugs and those people are organized drug dealers.

E: loving juries. Glad we got rid of them.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Could someone explain why they seized the guy's cutlery and coffee mugs?

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
Costcoke

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

They were probably nice.

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.

Nice piece of fish posted:

There's only one group of people I know that get "bulk discounts" for illegal drugs and those people are organized drug dealers.

If you're not buying your non-perishable drugs in bulk, then you're just throwing money away. Glad you can afford to do that, but some people have to find ways to save money in this economy!

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Nice piece of fish posted:

Exactly how much experience do you have purchasing large quantities of illegal drugs?

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Outrail posted:

For the benefit of goons who aren't hot poo poo lawyers, could you dumb that down so we they can understand that?

Particularly the bit where his attorney died. Was that something other than natural causes?

He used his client trust account to help launder money for some undisclosed, large-scale criminal enterprise. He maintained his innocence throughout the initial trial because he thought maybe he could hide behind the attorney-client relationship to protect him, legally.

Once he got a new lawyer, they talked him out of it, and told him he was an idiot and he needed to take the plea deal. His first lawyer dying was likely nothing more than a convenient way to frame his reversal of position.

Leperflesh posted:

Any information exchanged between a lawyer and a client as part of, or in anticipation of the lawyer's representation of the client in a legal matter is privileged.

A lawyer may reveal attorney-client privileged information to defend themselves in a malpractice case, or to prevent the commission of a future crime.

Information obtained by the lawyer, during the commission of a crime in which they participated is not, "part of, or in anticipation of the lawyer's representation of the client" so its not even privileged to begin with.

HisMajestyBOB
Oct 21, 2010

College Slice

blarzgh posted:

He used his client trust account to help launder money for some undisclosed, large-scale criminal enterprise. He maintained his innocence throughout the initial trial because he thought maybe he could hide behind the attorney-client relationship to protect him, legally.

Once he got a new lawyer, they talked him out of it, and told him he was an idiot and he needed to take the plea deal. His first lawyer dying was likely nothing more than a convenient way to frame his reversal of position.

drat, his first lawyer was really dedicated to his client's case.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

HisMajestyBOB posted:

drat, his first lawyer was really dedicated to his client's case.

No kidding. I wouldn't even answer my phone on a Saturday for my clients, let alone go and die for them.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Time has no meaning, so i'm pretty sure this may have come up but can't recall:

Unless specifically made part of a new contract, the new contract doesn't include any terms made to the old one, right?

IE: You cant own a house, lease the house to bob for 99 years for $1, then sell the house and automatically the buyer has to honor the lease to bob

In my head/logic, the lease is with you, not the property, so if bob wants to stay there the next 98 ears, he'll need to get a new lease with the new owner right?
Unless you sold the property with "already has a lease terms, please accept these as part of the sale" at which point a buyer could see the lease and go "gently caress no i ain't buying with that attached"

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

bird with big dick posted:

Exactly how much experience do you have purchasing large quantities of illegal drugs?

Nice try, officer.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

toplitzin posted:

Time has no meaning, so i'm pretty sure this may have come up but can't recall:

Unless specifically made part of a new contract, the new contract doesn't include any terms made to the old one, right?

IE: You cant own a house, lease the house to bob for 99 years for $1, then sell the house and automatically the buyer has to honor the lease to bob

In my head/logic, the lease is with you, not the property, so if bob wants to stay there the next 98 ears, he'll need to get a new lease with the new owner right?
Unless you sold the property with "already has a lease terms, please accept these as part of the sale" at which point a buyer could see the lease and go "gently caress no i ain't buying with that attached"

The answer is, as always, “it depends.” Locally, a lease doesn’t run with the sale of a piece of property unless the lease has been recorded with the Land Records Division against the property. Costs $100 for 1-5 pages, $200 for 6-25, $300 for 26-50, and then $5 for every page after 50 you want recorded.

Most residential renters don’t bother to record a lease, but it is definitely something that can be done.

This is exactly the same as how a bank records a mortgage so it doesn’t get screwed when the house is sold.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

toplitzin posted:

So a lease is a contract where the owner sells the right to possess the premises, temporarily, to the tenant. The right to possess real property is one of the parts of ownership of real property. Other such rights include alienation (the right to sell), modification, use and enjoyment, etc.

If I, the seller, fail to disclose that I have temporarily sold one of my rights to someone else, then at closing of the sale I have not brought the entirety of the property to the table. I brought the truck to the dealership to sell it, but I took the engine out and left it at home.

So, I would not be tendering the bargained-for property, in full. I would be in breach of my sales contract to the buyer, because I sold them a truck that was represented as having 100% of its parts, but was in fact missing its engine, which I've temporarily rented to someone else.

The responsibility to record this lease agreement varies from state to state, and is a prophylactic measure against these circumstances. Every state has plenty of rules that deal with this situation in different ways, but if you addressed the issue from a pure old-timey common law perspective, the tenant would still own the right to possess the property for the extent of the lease (so long as the tenant continued to perform, i.e. pay rent), even after the sale. If the new buyer did not like this, they could sue to unwind the sales contract for the property, since the "engine" of the truck is currently out on loan, even though they paid for it to be delivered immediately.

The buyer would lose a suit to evict the tenant because the legal question in an eviction case (forcible entry and detainer) is, "who owns the legal right to possess the premises." which, here, would still be the tenant, having previously purchased that right, temporarily.