Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
Sun roofs / moon roofs are nice and all, but seems like no matter how premium the car, it'll still have rattles and squeaks in many cars.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

Dang, I actually like the Mach-E (mocky?) I wish it didn't have that fishbowl roof. It's hot as gently caress in Houston and my wife's mini has that stupid panoramic moonroof and it just makes it into a hot glass box. It'll kill mileage having to AC the cabin that much more because of it. Other than that, I bet the mocky will be a lot easier to live with than say a tesla 3 for not having every single control in that screen.

E: looks like the base model has a steel roof.

BloodBag fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Dec 17, 2020

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

FBS posted:

Sunroofs are bad because they reduce headroom :colbert:

Only if you're some sort of ogre.

antimatt
Sep 12, 2007

ultima ratio regum

Rhyno posted:

Only if you're some sort of ogre.

6'4" tall. Sunroofs suck.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

:siren: Mazda is reproducing a bunch of NLA RX-7 parts :siren:

https://www.mazda.co.jp/globalasset...ZJwCvHSVPllTwVo

Only FD and FC for now sadly.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

FBS posted:

Sunroofs are bad because they reduce headroom :colbert:

And they will always eventually leak. And break.

Never again :negative:

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Knock on wood - always has never happened to me

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice
I assume that's more a problem with older cars? I've always had a moonroof until my current stinger, which is only because I couldn't get one in this configuration. I've never had one leak and I miss how much light it lets in, especially since this is my first all black interior.

Grakkus
Sep 4, 2011

Sunroofs are the best and it is a great source of pain to me that my forever-BX doesn't have one. Oh well, will have to weld one in someday

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

davebo posted:

I assume that's more a problem with older cars? I've always had a moonroof until my current stinger, which is only because I couldn't get one in this configuration. I've never had one leak and I miss how much light it lets in, especially since this is my first all black interior.

Maybe but the 2000 4Runner I had which leaked and eventually broke and my wife's old 2005 Escape (which froze several times and we were able to get free again and closed before it was totaled) leaked into the headliner spoiled it for us.

I'm tall anyway and the headroom got a little tight in both. It's definitely possible that they are much better and more secure now.

It's a shame, because I do like them. Just not willing to risk it again.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

McTinkerson posted:

Paging the spyder.....He's probably going to jump for joy with that news.

[e] looks like mostly vacuum tubes for the FD's rat's nest :v:

Applebees Appetizer fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Dec 17, 2020

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

McTinkerson posted:

Didn't they do the same for the NA Miata? Pretty cool.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

opengl128 posted:

Didn't they do the same for the NA Miata? Pretty cool.

They did. Roadster restore was the name of it.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

BloodBag posted:

They did. Roadster restore was the name of it.

except you can only get the car restored if it is completely unmodified and all original, never had an accident and a bunch of other extremely dumb, counter intuitive rules.

like isnt the point of 'restoring' to restore it to original condition? why should a modified car (within reason, of course) negate that?

Also Nissan is doing $500K nut and bolt restorations on R32 GTRs. so now you can really overpay for an 80s nissan.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Laserface posted:

except you can only get the car restored if it is completely unmodified and all original, never had an accident and a bunch of other extremely dumb, counter intuitive rules.

Welcome to Japan.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

antimatt posted:

6'4" tall. Sunroofs suck.

Same.

My wife really wanted a Honda Odyssey a few years ago. The drivers seat had no vertical adjustment. Total dealbreaker (that and the wheel well intrusion on the drivers side meant my left food was two feet closer to me than my right. But having the roof be at aproximatly ear level and the top of the windshield at my Adam’s apple was a bit of an issue as well.

I wonder if my wife will figure out the ‘but I’m tall’ ploy might apply to cars other than the M5....

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

The wheel well intrusion seems to be an across-the-board issue with modern Hondas. It sucks because I had hip surgery on my left hip and not being able to stretch that leg out really makes it ache.

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

I'm tempted to tear out the air suspension in mine and put those "sport" shocks in. That'd be one less headache to deal with.

New Car News: The Wrangler Rubicon 392's out. https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a34671109/2021-jeep-wrangler-rubicon-392-specs-revealed/ Took them long enough.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
I think they get me.

I very much doubt I'd buy one, but it's sure fun to think about.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018

It's a Twin Throttle Body Injection setup that was notoriously unreliable - one of the few Small-Block V8s I'd slap that label on.

It lasted a single year in the C4 Corvette (1984) - a car that was excellent, but had it's reliability image damaged by the Crossfire, the Early Electronics, Build Quality, and that 4+3 Borg Warner/Doug Nash contraption (Basically a Automatic Overdrive bolted to the back of an otherwise dead reliable Borg-Warner T-18 4 Speed Manual) which was likely the worst aspect of the car. The 4+3, especially the first years, were horrendous. The added "bonus" that GM outsourced this project to some hotrodder guy who couldn't actually keep up with demand for frequent replacements so customers were left waiting for ages to repair this impossible to service transmission. Then the factory got hit by a Tornado, further aggravating parts supply.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!

Frond posted:

It's a Twin Throttle Body Injection setup that was notoriously unreliable - one of the few Small-Block V8s I'd slap that label on.

I'm sure you know, but the actual origins of the Crossfire setup are kind of cool. They took the over-the-counter cross-ram intake for the 67-69 Z/28s 302 V8 and built a FI setup out of it. Crossfire small blocks do sound loving awesome though. A couple years ago I accidentally stumbled on a whole subculture of Crossfire fanboys online.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Sab669 posted:

Throttle House made it sound really nice, but I'm looking forward to watching Doug's video soon.

I understand why it hasn't been a priority for manufacturers -- and won't be any time soon -- but man can I just get like an Electric Miata please?

No but I think there are rumors the next one will be hybrid. No torque needed down low but revs to the moon please.

Laserface posted:

like isnt the point of 'restoring' to restore it to original condition? why should a modified car (within reason, of course) negate that?

Also Nissan is doing $500K nut and bolt restorations on R32 GTRs. so now you can really overpay for an 80s nissan.
Sell it cost some ridiculous amount anyway, the good thing was that you could get individual new parts which otherwise could be a problem to get.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Only now am I reading the articles from the past few months which speculate that the new Ford Maverick will have a three or four foot bed. Ffs offer me a variant with no rear seats.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Jack B Nimble posted:

Only now am I reading the articles from the past few months which speculate that the new Ford Maverick will have a three or four foot bed. Ffs offer me a variant with no rear seats.

It's not for your, or for fleets or landscapers. This is a truck for America, land of the 5ft bed on full size trucks.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
In my heart I know the truth: the modern truck is actually the Ford Transit Connect. Looks like the even the short wheel base model has 100+ inches of cargo length without rear seats and would fit my bike, assuming the height is OK.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Jack B Nimble posted:

In my heart I know the truth: the modern truck is actually the Ford Transit Connect. Looks like the even the short wheel base model has 100+ inches of cargo length without rear seats and would fit my bike, assuming the height is OK.

I really want to like the Transit Connect, but they're just painfully cost-cut all around. They're worse vehicles than any of the minivans, without being cheaper enough to make up for it. If you're getting something smaller, less comfortable, about half the horsepower it needs to be either significantly cheaper, more efficient or both, and the Transit Connect just isn't.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Those are all very good points, but the Transit Connect would still do the thing I needed it to do, even if I was unhappy with how much it cost for what it is. Somehow, in comparison with my truck options, this is a high mark.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice
The McLaren Sabre is the kind of ridiculous looking video game supercar I can get behind. I think 15 units is the appropriate number to build of this. If you could make it as affordable and common as a civic type r I'd probably give it poo poo for being so over the top.

https://www.autoblog.com/2020/12/22/mclaren-sabre-revealed/#slide-2285847

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

Jack B Nimble posted:

The pictures I see make it look like an explorer sport-trac. I'm sure someone will buy it just like people bought the sport-trac and the Baja and the ridgeline.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Jack B Nimble posted:

Bike as in motorcycle? Because why would you need a van or truck for a bicycle?

Virgil Vox
Dec 8, 2009

Jack B Nimble posted:

If you mean motorcycles the current gen transit connect is too short for most dual sports and dirt bikes. The first gen is tall enough for most everything, you’ll have to put them in at an angle though.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Yeah a buddy of mine just uses a full size transit for his motorcycles, it's either that or a covered trailer if you want to keep them locked up and out of the elements.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

Virgil Vox posted:

If you mean motorcycles the current gen transit connect is too short for most dual sports and dirt bikes. The first gen is tall enough for most everything, you’ll have to put them in at an angle though.

I think I mean that motorcycle, is that a Dr650? And like I buy cars new anyway, I'm only interested in the Maverick as a used 2023 purchase.

EnergizerFellow
Oct 11, 2005

More drunk than a barrel of monkeys
Low/no-option Chrysler Voyager or Pacifica? You can lay 4'x8' sheets flat in the back of one with the hatch closed. Throw a heavy-duty 4'x8' rubber floor mat in the back and call it good. FCA has OEM factory rubber mats, but the Northridge line of rubber mats from Lloyd Mats is good too.

EnergizerFellow fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Dec 23, 2020

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
Orthodoxy demands a clapped out Dodge B-Van with panel sides for transporting motorcycles.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Orthodoxy demands a clapped out Dodge B-Van with panel sides for transporting motorcycles.

:hmmyes:

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
I've done it in my Odyssey, but the FZ didn't fit. :P
I never tried with the gixxer bc I ended up getting a trailer.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
When I took my bike to the track I just pulled it on a rental trailer behind my Mustang GT. Easier to load and unload too.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

captainOrbital posted:

I've done it in my Odyssey, but the FZ didn't fit. :P
I never tried with the gixxer bc I ended up getting a trailer.

A 1986 750 gixxer was my last cool motorcycle :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

That Copen concept is perfect. :3:

https://twitter.com/DarraghMcKenna/status/1343968419729825792?s=19