Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

admiraldennis
Jul 22, 2003

I am the stone that builder refused
I am the visual
The inspiration
That made lady sing the blues
Is it true that Rocket Lake mainstream CPUs will have 20 CPU PCIe lanes instead of 16, with the extra 4 being intended for NVME?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VorpalFish
Mar 22, 2007
reasonably awesometm

Arzachel posted:

The overclockable/higher turbo models maybe, but the 10400 is locked at 2666 MHz memory so a 3600 with a half decent memory kit ends up sweeping both gaming and all core benches. Really hoping Intel doesn't kneecap their mid-range chipsets again with Rocket Lake.

Ahh it's the i7s that will do 2933 on h470. That's irritating.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

admiraldennis posted:

Is it true that Rocket Lake mainstream CPUs will have 20 CPU PCIe lanes instead of 16, with the extra 4 being intended for NVME?

Yeah

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

admiraldennis posted:

Isn't Rocket Lake PCIe 4 anyway, so PCIe bandwidth shouldn't be an issue in any sane situation?

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Twerk from Home posted:

Isn't Rocket Lake PCIe 4 anyway, so PCIe bandwidth shouldn't be an issue in any sane situation?

Only the 20 lanes from the CPU are PCIe 4, all the lanes from the PCH are PCIe 3. So that Rocket Lake has 16 to give to the PCIe slot and 4 to give to an M.2 is important, even if there isnt much that can saturate them.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

Cygni posted:

Only the 20 lanes from the CPU are PCIe 4, all the lanes from the PCH are PCIe 3. So that Rocket Lake has 16 to give to the PCIe slot and 4 to give to an M.2 is important, even if there isnt much that can saturate them.

They're also doubling (at least) the bandwidth to the PCH, which should give plenty of headroom for attaching additional NVMe 3.0 drives off the PCH.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

how much latency do you cut out by attaching an nvme device directly to cpu traces instead of running through dmi/pch?

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Potato Salad posted:

how much latency do you cut out by attaching an nvme device directly to cpu traces instead of running through dmi/pch?
Not much, compared to the latencies to main memory and cpu caches, respectively.
It's all just market segmentation bullshit.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://wccftech.com/intel-discontinues-9th-gen-coffee-lake-desktop-cpus/

Intel has announced discontinuing its 9th gen CPUs - no more orders after June 2021, and last shipments to go out on Dec 2021.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Uhhhh, any pre-2011 employees here? Yowzers.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Uhhhh, any pre-2011 employees here? Yowzers.

Socket or year? XD

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

https://twitter.com/videocardz/status/1339187127993708545

I imagine this will be the announcement of both Z590 and Rocket Lake. Availability still rumored for late Feb early March.

Otakufag
Aug 23, 2004
I will be pissed if rocket lake rapes zen 3, this 5600x was a bit expensive.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Otakufag posted:

it'll probably beat it by a moderate amount in gaming, but it's still going to be hotter and slower in productivity and probably more expensive.

although it is the first mainstream desktop CPU with AVX-512, which is cool for some stuff.

basically this is the CPU that Intel needed to release a year to 18 months ago when Zen2 was new on the market to maintain their lead. Against Zen3, eh, it's OK but not really a massive winner anymore, too late.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Otakufag posted:

still no ARM chip

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Otakufag posted:

Rocket Lake will probably be competitive and might force minor price cuts for the AMD stuff.

I'm guessing that availability for it will suck too, and AMD won't need to discount at all until availability for both platforms is better.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Otakufag posted:

Hi. Please choose a different way of describing this. Thank you.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Cygni posted:

https://twitter.com/videocardz/status/1339187127993708545

I imagine this will be the announcement of both Z590 and Rocket Lake. Availability still rumored for late Feb early March.

Interesting and the last platform to use DDR4. Looking at Alder Lake, does this have anything that's significant outside of minor speed gains?

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Gabriel S. posted:

Interesting and the last platform to use DDR4. Looking at Alder Lake, does this have anything that's significant outside of minor speed gains?

Alder Lake is arguably the biggest change that Intel has made in a single product since the move to Core in 2006, which is both a statement on the product itself and how little Intel has really changed lately. Moves to a big-little CPU design with 4 big fast cores and 4 small energy efficient cores, moves to 10nm on the desktop, moves to DDR5, moves to PCIe 5.0, changes how the south bridge is connected and works, etc.

Whether any of that is enough is another question tho!

Encrypted
Feb 25, 2016

Wow, rocket lake is still going to be on 14nm.

Also I just checked, their first 14nm came out in... 2014 :pwn:

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

AVX-512 on 14nm at gamer clocks is going to be a spicy meatball

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

repiv posted:

AVX-512 on 14nm at gamer clocks is going to be a spicy meatball

depends on how much the AVX-512 offset is. That's been a tidbit that hasn't leaked so far. Ice Lake doesn't have barely any at all but obviously that's 10nm and not 14nm.

It probably won't be quite as bad an offset as Skylake-X though, as it's just a single 512b unit instead of a pair of 512b units. That architectural feature made Skylake-X extra spicy (and probably didn't help the need for voltage rampup latency either). They must have been going hard for some HPC contracts or something.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Dec 17, 2020

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

It doesn't matter what they put I'm going to turn the offsets off. :colbert:

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord

Encrypted posted:

Wow, rocket lake is still going to be on 14nm.

Also I just checked, their first 14nm came out in... 2014 :pwn:

what the heck, intel?

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

AARP LARPer posted:

what the heck, intel?

10nm has been a total shitshow.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Yeah but when was 14nm supposed to have first launched smart guy....oh....

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

At the time, the 14nm launch (with the mythical Broadwell parts like the 5775C) was considered a "disaster", lol

if only they knew what was to come

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
Yet Intel can continue to eat poo poo because they have 15 fabs (8 major ones): https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000015142/programs.html

Prescription Combs
Apr 20, 2005

Cygni posted:

At the time, the 14nm launch (with the mythical Broadwell parts like the 5775C) was considered a "disaster", lol

if only they knew what was to come

I had one of those and it was a fantastic processor at the time. I gave it to a friend...

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
if you still have a Z97 rig that you want to upgrade for nostalgia's sake, 5775Cs actually got really cheap, they're down to about $100 on ebay (cheaper than 4790K/4770K, even). You can sell your old chip to make up a bit of the difference (4690Ks still go for like 75 bucks on ebay, so you should be able to get $50 out of it after fees/shipping), and basically have the 5775C and hyperthreading for $50 or whatever, which I think is justifable as a "cause it's cool" toy. I also think will probably appreciate over time due to scarcity / the cool factor. They never sold that many and they are best-in-platform, after this little bump of surplus chips runs out I think price may bounce up.

(I have no idea, however, what user would have stockpiled a large number of surplus 5775Cs, that's a weird one. But someone in China is getting rid of a lot of them, and they're legit non-ES 5775Cs.)

3.7 GHz 5775C outperforms a 4.2 GHz 4790K by 15% in average 720p fps (with 3090) and 20% in 1% lows in PCGH's CP2077 benchmarks (43fps vs 50 fps average), both with 1600 speed memory. Not sure I'd trust the AMD results because of the threading thing, but the 3300X performs about like the 4790K there and even if it gets like a 10-20% bump the 5775C is matching it on DDR3. Pretty impressive imo for the age, it's Intel's own "shitloads of cache" design.

https://www.pcgameshardware.de/Cyberpunk-2077-Spiel-20697/Specials/Cyberpunk-2077-Benchmarks-GPU-CPU-Raytracing-1363331/

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 08:42 on Dec 17, 2020

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

My 8700K at 6 cores is toasty 70C with HR-02 macho cooler, kryonaut, and delid with conductonaut when playing Cyberpunk. I understand it uses AVX so uh yes the new intel cpu's will probably be quite hot.

Before delidding my cpu went to like 85-90C with prime95.. delid helped temps by 15-20C.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
I just want Intel to admit defeat and launch a direct die cooling enthusiast-specific chip. The IHS is preventing them from going full inferno.

A direct die waterblock or direct die support for AIO is one of those crazy dream rigs I'd like to try building someday. There's no reason it doesn't work, it's just fiddly and delicate (normally you remove the IHS clamp frame and you have to tension the waterblock correctly to replace the mounting pressure the clamp frame was providing).

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

In my Athlon days I bought a "spacer" for like 5€ for my XP2100+. It was the same height as the core, so I could clamp down the cooler without any worries about crushing the core. Intel should do the same and void warranty if the user tries to warranty CPU's with crushed dies.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Paul MaudDib posted:

I just want Intel to admit defeat and launch a direct die cooling enthusiast-specific chip. The IHS is preventing them from going full inferno.

A direct die waterblock or direct die support for AIO is one of those crazy dream rigs I'd like to try building someday. There's no reason it doesn't work, it's just fiddly and delicate (normally you remove the IHS clamp frame and you have to tension the waterblock correctly to replace the mounting pressure the clamp frame was providing).

Yeah, I'd be all in for them bringing back the "Extreme Edition" with a precisely-machined shim. I somehow managed to not chip a damned 950Mhz Copper T-Bird ~back in the day~ and all those had for cushioning were four felt dots.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
this NUC case from HDPlex is wild, full passive and they use a M.2 to PCIe riser to give you a 1 slot expansion slot.

https://hdplex.com/hdplex-fanless-nuc-kit.html

Not sure what you'd put in 1 slot that's slim and puts out little enough power that it doesn't melt in a passive case, but that's a cool design. I'd love to see a version of this for the Asus PN50.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 09:51 on Dec 17, 2020

wet_goods
Jun 21, 2004

I'M BAAD!

Paul MaudDib posted:

this NUC case from HDPlex is wild, full passive and they use a M.2 to PCIe riser to give you a 1 slot expansion slot.

https://hdplex.com/hdplex-fanless-nuc-kit.html

Not sure what you'd put in 1 slot that's slim and puts out little enough power that it doesn't melt in a passive case, but that's a cool design. I'd love to see a version of this for the Asus PN50.

I use an HD plex hd5 for my GAMING PC. It works well with a 1060 6gb but the problem is no one is making cards in the 125 watt TDP range anymore so I won't be able to stay fanless if it breaks.

No issues on the cpu side with an i7 8700k

VorpalFish
Mar 22, 2007
reasonably awesometm

wet_goods posted:

I use an HD plex hd5 for my GAMING PC. It works well with a 1060 6gb but the problem is no one is making cards in the 125 watt TDP range anymore so I won't be able to stay fanless if it breaks.

No issues on the cpu side with an i7 8700k

The 1660 through 1660ti are all in that power envelope and I'd be shocked if those didn't get ampere based replacements some time in the next year.

wet_goods
Jun 21, 2004

I'M BAAD!

VorpalFish posted:

The 1660 through 1660ti are all in that power envelope and I'd be shocked if those didn't get ampere based replacements some time in the next year.

Yeah I was hoping there would be a 3600? series that was a half step but included RTX. Not sure what is feasible. But that's good to know at least I won't be sol

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

wet_goods posted:

Yeah I was hoping there would be a 3600? series that was a half step but included RTX. Not sure what is feasible. But that's good to know at least I won't be sol

You might be looking more at a 3050, whenever those come out. The 3060 Ti has a 200W TDP, so I'd bet the eventual 3060 will be in the 150+ range. Might be able to slide that down to 125W by undervolting, though, but it seems like the 3050 (of some sort, maybe Ti/S/??) will probably be where you get down to legit 125W.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VorpalFish
Mar 22, 2007
reasonably awesometm

DrDork posted:

You might be looking more at a 3050, whenever those come out. The 3060 Ti has a 200W TDP, so I'd bet the eventual 3060 will be in the 150+ range. Might be able to slide that down to 125W by undervolting, though, but it seems like the 3050 (of some sort, maybe Ti/S/??) will probably be where you get down to legit 125W.

The real question is how far down the stack they push the rtx and tensor cores this time, or is it going to be the whole stack? Is there going to be a 3050, or will it be a 17x0 instead?