Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

BrigadierSensible posted:

This is appropos of nothing. And sorry if it should go in the social media thread.

But I have watched a few KANAchan youtube videos recently, and also watching Shayna Bazzler playing video games on UpUpDownDown and am noticing how much of an adorable dorky cutiepie they both are. I also notice Nick Gage, and how nice a man he seems to be, and Minoru Suzuki in his silly fedoras.

All four of these people could and would kick the poo poo out of me. All four of these people are angry, intimidating monsters in the ring, yet snugglebunnies outside of it.

My question is, do any of you like me, love the fact that some of the meannest, most violent wrestlers are so wholesome and sweet in real life?

Also who are the sweetest most wholesome wrestlers in real life? I don't mean cool, or even nice. I mean like Asuka, daggy middle aged mums trying and failing to build computer chairs style wholesome.

Have you heard of Gatoh Move

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Takuan
May 6, 2007

BrigadierSensible posted:

Also who are the sweetest most wholesome wrestlers in real life? I don't mean cool, or even nice. I mean like Asuka, daggy middle aged mums trying and failing to build computer chairs style wholesome.

Satoshi Kojima. Bread Club 4 Lyfe.

Karma Tornado
Dec 21, 2007

The worst kind of tornado.

I like Miz because I find it charming that he was a dumb little goofus on the Real World who said his dream was to be a wrestler and then he actually went and did it

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Hat or not, I don't know that I'd call Suzuki a snugglebunny. Don Callis thinks the hat makes him even more intimidating.

edit: The Butcher and the Blade are very weirdly wholesome men who are good friends outside the ring; their AEW Unrestricted interview is great.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

So, listening to the latest Retro show, and I thought of something during all the talk of "WCW referees" during the Invasion.

Did ECW not have any notable referees? Refs were (at least sometimes) big characters in WWF and WCW. But obviously ECW had a fraction of their budget so maybe not.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

NikkolasKing posted:

So, listening to the latest Retro show, and I thought of something during all the talk of "WCW referees" during the Invasion.

Did ECW not have any notable referees? Refs were (at least sometimes) big characters in WWF and WCW. But obviously ECW had a fraction of their budget so maybe not.

Bill Alfonso!

finalcake
Oct 5, 2002

CHESTO~!!

NikkolasKing posted:

Bill Alfonso and Jeff Jones come to mind. The latter managed Mike Awesome and I want to say Sid when he had that brief stint in ECW.

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

I remember John Finnegan and Jim Molineux enough to recall their names but not much else. I think maybe Judge Jeff Jones was a ref before he started managing Mike Awesome but don't particularly care enough to check.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

SG Bamboo posted:

I remember John Finnegan and Jim Molineux enough to recall their names but not much else. I think maybe Judge Jeff Jones was a ref before he started managing Mike Awesome but don't particularly care enough to check.

Yeah, Finnegan, Molineux, were your more straight down the middle refs, Fonzie was the stooge of the commission who was a heel ref because he tried to stop people hitting each other in the head with steel chairs & feuded with Tod Gordon, including a very memorable awkward male catfight

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Jim Molineaux is definitely the quintessential ECW ref. Followed by John Finnegan and Pee Wee Moore. How long was Alfonso actually a ref in ECW? I remember him more as a ref in WWF than ECW. Same kind of thing with Jeff Jones where I associate him with being a manager more than being a ref.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Tato posted:

Someone posted that Bray Wyatt threatened The Miz’s wife and child, and The Miz came out for that match and did his same stupid rear end Hollywood entrance and locked up as usual. That really hammered it home. How could you ever loving care about these WWE baby faces. They don’t even care if you threaten to hurt their kid. Just absolute total losers.
I remember seeing something about how that kind of thing is mandated by WWE--like, babyfaces aren't supposed to sell an injury, or even a loss, because that might make the kids sad. Is there any truth to that?

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

the poor bastard

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

Goto was very nice when I met him in San Jose last year

Procrastinator
Aug 16, 2009

what?

Pinche Rudo posted:

Goto was very nice when I met him in San Jose last year

who could dislike the patron of the goto photo

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Halloween Jack posted:

I remember seeing something about how that kind of thing is mandated by WWE--like, babyfaces aren't supposed to sell an injury, or even a loss, because that might make the kids sad. Is there any truth to that?

This was definitely the rumor back when Super Cena was a thing. It was the period where Cena would catch these incredible beatdowns, then get up and literally exclaim "I'm okay folks!"

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

DeathChicken posted:

This was definitely the rumor back when Super Cena was a thing. It was the period where Cena would catch these incredible beatdowns, then get up and literally exclaim "I'm okay folks!"

Especially after that SummerSlam match with Brock. The night after, he beat up the Wyatt Family by himself to the point that Bray was crying for mercy.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Dave has reported that at various times Vince has not wanted babyfaces to sell long term or sell in their entrances even when their storyline says they are injured because it looks weak. He of course has also wanted the opposite!

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

I forget, where did the, "wins and losses don't matter" line come from? Was it some interview, or an investors call?

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Tweak posted:

I forget, where did the, "wins and losses don't matter" line come from? Was it some interview, or an investors call?
Road Dogg has trotted it out a few times (“it’s the overall story that matters”) but Im 99% certain he’s not the first

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

MassRafTer posted:

Dave has reported that at various times Vince has not wanted babyfaces to sell long term or sell in their entrances even when their storyline says they are injured because it looks weak. He of course has also wanted the opposite!

Seth Rollins sold his knee for like 3 years and only stopped when he turned heel.

It's almost as if everything Vince does is arbitrary.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Yes, wins and losses don't matter, which I guess explains why the New Age Outlaws got over despite winning every single match against the Legion of Doom in '97-'98.

Gambit from the X-Men
May 12, 2001

a war boy standing alone in the desert blasting his mouth with cum from a dildo
Tbh the NAO push still confounds me even tho I basically understand all the component piece. I was definitely the demographic and the LOD were significantly cooler. I wish I had more essential reasons to leave the house

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

LOD: Old and busted
NAO: The new hotness. Also Russo's idea and he had the book.

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values
Let's not pretend the tag division was exactly on fire either. Old LOD, The Godwinns, The Headbangers, DOA, Los Boricuas, Furnas & Lafon, The New Blackjacks, etc. The Outlaws were a breath of fresh air and were also lucky they came along when they did, doubt they would have risen to such heights in the era of Hardy Boyz/The Dudleys/Edge & Christian.

Also they wore South Park T-shirts right when it started. Kind of hard to explain just how much that helped with the demographic.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Tato posted:

Let's not pretend the tag division was exactly on fire either. Old LOD, The Godwinns, The Headbangers, DOA, Los Boricuas, Furnas & Lafon, The New Blackjacks, etc. The Outlaws were a breath of fresh air and were also lucky they came along when they did, doubt they would have risen to such heights in the era of Hardy Boyz/The Dudleys/Edge & Christian.

Also they wore South Park T-shirts right when it started. Kind of hard to explain just how much that helped with the demographic.

It also helped that Road Dogg knew how to sell and time his comebacks/hot tags properly, and Gunn was a really good hot tag guy. Individually they sucked, but they had good tag team instincts that none of those other teams had except maybe Furnas and Lafon.

Jetfire
Apr 29, 2008

Lamuella posted:

Meltzer's obviously not the be-all and end-all, but it is notable that very few of Triple H's four star and above matches are just straightforward matches. Matches he has that are four stars and above without an additional gimmick:

Chris Benoit & Triple H vs. Chris Jericho & The Rock, WWF Raw April 26 2000
Chris Benoit vs Triple H, WWF No Mercy 2000
Chris Benoit & Chris Jericho vs. Steve Austin & Triple H, WWF RAW May 21 2001
Shawn Michaels vs. Triple H, WWE RAW 29 December 2003
Chris Benoit vs. Shawn Michaels vs. Triple H, Wrestlemania XX, 2004
Jeff Hardy vs. Triple H, WWE No Mercy 2008
Daniel Bryan vs. Triple H, Wrestlemania XXX, 2014
Dean Ambrose vs. Triple H, WWE Roadblock 2016

Everything else above four stars was a gimmick match or a huge multi-man.

LTTP on this one but I was at Roadblock and that HHH/Ambrose match was fuckin' fire, especially considering it was essentially a house show.

Procrastinator
Aug 16, 2009

what?

Jetfire posted:

LTTP on this one but I was at Roadblock and that HHH/Ambrose match was fuckin' fire, especially considering it was essentially a house show.

i greatly enjoyed the false finish. it was telegraphed, but happens just sparingly enough that it was a fun surprise for a few seconds.

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

Tato posted:

It's this. They were over with 14-year-old boys. They sold shirts.
Itt didn't matter if they could wrestle, people were watching to see them say "suck it" and "doggy style."

Also yeah, they both knew how to do a solid tag match, their limitations weren't as obvious until they split and had to work solo matches.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

at my school you weren’t cool unless you could do road dogg’s spiel word for word

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

I believe at one point my school banned the suck it crotch chop

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

14 year old me always got so mad when the NAO cheated or got results overturned, like when Mankind and Chainsaw Charlie beat them for the titles but it didn't count because they used the wrong dumpster.

I sure as hell kept watching so I guess it worked.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Jetfire posted:

I think it was good BECAUSE it was a house show. Because of that, HHH didn't feel compelled to do his 45 minute EPIC BATTLE playbook and instead had an 18 minute good main event match, and he even sold for Mox because he knew he was going over in the end.

Tweak posted:

The bit I always remember is Shawn Michaels pulling someone aside and explaining that the real secret is that wins and losses DO matter.

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Wow, Bix. First K.Rool, then Steve and now SEPHIROTH? Your dream game is real!

Gaz-L posted:

I think it was good BECAUSE it was a house show. Because of that, HHH didn't feel compelled to do his 45 minute EPIC BATTLE playbook and instead had an 18 minute good main event match, and he even sold for Mox because he knew he was going over in the end.
Post quad tear, he was always MUCH better on house shows, cutting loose and having fun.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib
I never bought the NAO as a credible thread to the LOD, then they won the titles, and they chucked Cactus Jack and Chainsaw Charlie off the stage in a dumpster, and I thought they were the coolest guys ever.

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Question for someone with a better knowledge of wrestling mechanics...
https://twitter.com/davidbix/status/1339758547874312192
Did Princess Victoria break her neck because Leilani Kai was holding her head as she was taking a sunset flip from Velvet McIntyre? Victoria seemed fine up until the pin, looks like she's in terrible pain after, and also noticeably loosens up on Despina Montaga's leg right after that happens. Even if it was aggravating something else, SOMETHING happens there, right?

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

It looks like Velvet managed to hit her head with Victoria's on that sunset flip.

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

DeathChicken posted:

It looks like Velvet managed to hit her head with Victoria's on that sunset flip.
Yeah, a few people pointed that out pretty quickly. I somehow missed it several times in a row.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Halloween Jack posted:

That is correct. His work is the precise mix of competent, bland, and derivative that makes you wish you were watching something as entertaining as Sid vs. the Nightstalker or a random Khali match. Everything about his persona is an affront to the senses and the people defending him at any point should be ashamed. I know in my heart that wrestling is bad because it is the reason I know who he is.

Jeff Jarrett could be a decent worker, but we'll never know, because he can't stop himself from doing poo poo that interrupts the flow of the match. I never used to mind stalling that much until Jarrett came along. A lot of people might say his IYH match with Shawn Michaels was great, but that match was great in spite of Jeff.

Memento posted:

What's the best match The Miz was ever in?

Miz, as a character, was at least interesting before his main event push. His tag team with Morrison, his style, and his look (jorts and a red-dye rooster haircut) was goofy, but fit what he was going for - a reality star doofus who wanted to be a wrestler. He was a perfectly good wrestler who had his own stuff, and I really dug his running seated corner clothesline thingy. Once he got a push, for some reason, he got a generic outfit/look, and started working and talking like everyone else. His tag matches alongside Morrison are, from what I remember, mostly pretty good.

Gambit from the X-Men posted:

Tbh the NAO push still confounds me even tho I basically understand all the component piece. I was definitely the demographic and the LOD were significantly cooler. I wish I had more essential reasons to leave the house

The Outlaws got over for a couple of reasons:

- Road Dog was/is really, really, really good on the microphone; not in doing promos, necessarily, but just at talking. He came up with a schtick the audience could mimic, and that was enough to get, at the very least, the appearance of heat. Dogg was good enough he could cover how hideously bad Billy was on the mic.
- There was literally nothing else exciting in the tag scene at the time. LOD was kind of dead in the water, the Gang Warz stuff wasn't particularly interesting, and whoever else was left (Too Much, New Blackjacks, Headbangers, Godwinns/Southern Justice? I think Furnas and LaFon were gone) wasn't drawing anyone in.
- The NAO won, which made them look like winners. They won a lot over LOD, and IIRC, got the last laugh over Cactus/Funk.
- As singles guys, they weren't great, but they were pretty effective as a team, and Dogg knew how to work the crowd, while Billy did the rest. Oddly enough, Dogg had a pretty decent run of hardcore singles matches a year or two later.
- Otherwise, they benefitted from being part of the overall WWF Attitude thing - using swears, referencing pop culture, using weapons, etc. Being associated with a cool stable (DX) helped, too.

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

I'll ask here what I just asked on Twitter as well:

Is Hillbilly Jim the most high profile wrestler to succeed mostly (behind the scenes & his appeal to fans) on the basis of being a genuinely nice person?

He was super over before he ever said a word or had a match. Then, when he got hurt, Vince went out of his way to fit him in. First, he got a whole hillbilly family stable to manage so they could try to keep him over and on TV while he recovered from blowing out his knee. Then, when he got hurt again, they arranged for him to run sales for Coliseum Home Video. When they broke things off with ColVid, he was hired for a similar role in WWE at the new WWF Home Video subsidiary. All this after being a guy who, while largely a green unknown, was tapped to be Hulk Hogan's tag team partner and on-screen protege as things got rolling with the expansion in 1984. It's not something that you normally think about as being a big deal, but...that's a huge deal! It's not like anyone would have expected that of the Jim Morris who had short runs in Memphis and Calgary, some of which was as a heel. (You can see Hillbilly Jim shine through in the promo in Memphis where he "admits" that he took a generic-sounding name like Jim Morris because he was "embarrassed" by his "real name" of Harley Davidson, though)

How many people in wrestling, much less entertainment in general, have stories like that? He clearly made an impression on people everywhere he went in a very special way. And while there are others like Bryan Danielson and Mick Foley whose extreme personal niceness became part of their appeal as big name pro wrestlers, it didn't fuel their careers the way that it did with Hillbilly Jim.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
What was the general consensus on Tony Schiavone, pre-AEW? For the longest time I mostly saw people talking about how he was this miserly buzzkill in WCW, but I dunno, WCW was a trash fire. Makes sense he'd get irritated with all the stupid bullshit they pulled. Plus he and Heenan supposedly hated each other so I can't imagine that helped.