Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Semi-Protato
Sep 11, 2001

There's an additional dialog mod, Stardew Valley Dialog Expansion, that adds a bunch more lines for everyone. I've used it my entire run this time around, and well into year 3 I haven't found anyone saying anything too out of character and nothing cringey. The most obvious change is festival dialog - everyone has new lines from year to year and villagers acknowledge things that happened in previous years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

willing to settle
Apr 13, 2011

Semi-Protato posted:

There's an additional dialog mod, Stardew Valley Dialog Expansion, that adds a bunch more lines for everyone. I've used it my entire run this time around, and well into year 3 I haven't found anyone saying anything too out of character and nothing cringey. The most obvious change is festival dialog - everyone has new lines from year to year and villagers acknowledge things that happened in previous years.

Yeah, I understand people being wary of dialogue mods (with good reason), but this one is hugely inoffensive and generally well done. Great for breaking up the sameyness a bit.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

I'm playing SoS:FoM on the pc to pass the time until the next SV update.

Does star level effect the relationship increase from giving gifts? Saibara, the smith, likes turnips so is there any benefit to giving 2+ star turnips vs 1 star turnips?

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Yup! See the wiki for details. https://stardewvalleywiki.com/Friendship#Gifts

Wups, missed that your question was about Song of Seasons.

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

Every time I see a new post I get really excited that it might be announcing 1.5 and thus I can play SDV with my wife on the couch.

Alas.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Saxophone posted:

Every time I see a new post I get really excited that it might be announcing 1.5 and thus I can play SDV with my wife on the couch.

Alas.

I have a big project I need to finish before I can play video games, so I'm in a race against time to get all my work done before it drops so I can just kick back and do some major farming over the holidays.

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

LLSix posted:

I'm playing SoS:FoM on the pc to pass the time until the next SV update.

Does star level effect the relationship increase from giving gifts? Saibara, the smith, likes turnips so is there any benefit to giving 2+ star turnips vs 1 star turnips?

doesn't seem to matter, but i can't get more than 1* with any sort of frequency anyway so v:v:v

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

oldskool posted:

doesn't seem to matter, but i can't get more than 1* with any sort of frequency anyway so v:v:v

each year you can ask gotz to upgrade your fields, which increase the likelihood of getting higher quality crops, so you have to be at, like, year 5 if you want to consistently get 5 star quality crops. it's not a great system and only exists to try and pad the content of this GBA game remake, even though 5 years is well beyond the amount of time you'd spend on this game

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

TurnipFritter posted:

each year you can ask gotz to upgrade your fields, which increase the likelihood of getting higher quality crops, so you have to be at, like, year 5 if you want to consistently get 5 star quality crops. it's not a great system and only exists to try and pad the content of this GBA game remake, even though 5 years is well beyond the amount of time you'd spend on this game

There's been poo poo like this in a lot of harvest moon games, where you need to play for an absurd number of years to unlock everything.

One thing I really like about Sakuna (it's not really a farming game, though you do grow rice) is that each season is 3 days, so you actually go through a number of years fairly quickly. Granted, each day consists of doing side scrolling platforming/combat, and adjusting the rice fields in a few different ways based on what stat you want to boost. The pacing ends up working well, and by the end of the game I'd gone through about 13 years or so.

ohnobugs
Feb 22, 2003

The GBA version of Friends of Mineral Town had a vacation cabin you unlock after 50 years of marriage.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

ohnobugs posted:

The GBA version of Friends of Mineral Town had a vacation cabin you unlock after 50 years of marriage.

it's funnier than that, you have to unlock the cabin to get one of the gems of truth, which, when fully assembled, will create an item that lets you check your current stamina.

friends of mineral town is full of stuff that sounds like fake school yard rumors but are actually true, like marrying the goddess/kappa (mandatory 5 year time commitment, but probably more in the remake because you have to get the top tier animal products) cooking contest judge (minimum, like, 20 year time commitment), or the anniversary cabin or the jewel of truth both minimum 50 year commitments).

TurnipFritter fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Dec 4, 2020

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

My guys are still fighting the hard fight!
(weapons, shields and drones are still online!)

Saxophone posted:

Alas.

Every drat time

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

Semi-Protato posted:

Is this the mod you're talking about?
https://www.nexusmods.com/stardewvalley/mods/2544

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Ha! Ha! I think I just broke this game.

In SoS:FoMT there's a horse race in Spring. The brooches you can buy with medals for betting on the horses sell for 1800 but you can buy them for ~400 if you get one of the race sets where all the horses have 10+ odds. My crops are bringing in only like 1-2k a week but the horse race made me 20k. I've got all my early game expenses covered now and can buy all the flour I need to enslave befriend the nature sprites so they water my crops.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
Hm64's horse race bug where you can just set the bets, hit b to back out, and the bets still go through. Max bet on each horse and never worry about money or lumber again

Semi-Protato
Sep 11, 2001

Yup, that's the one.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
https://twitter.com/ConcernedApe/status/1339328033220542464?s=19

"Might" is doing some heavy lifting in this tweet, but it's pretty late in the year to say "this year" without it being a possibility!

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
I'm just glad he's got his dream job.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

drat, I might buy it on pc just to be able to play 1.5 this year, unless Android follows soon after.

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

My wife and I are home with covid and I was really hoping this would have been out before Christmas so we could sit on the couch, build a farm, and cough together. Harumph and such.

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

Saxophone posted:

My wife and I are home with covid and I was really hoping this would have been out before Christmas so we could sit on the couch, build a farm, and cough together. Harumph and such.

Just move the PC in front of the couch or the couch in front of the PC. Problem solved.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Has anyone tried Farm Together? I've been thinking about trying it as a co-op game but haven't tried it yet.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?

cakesmith handyman posted:

drat, I might buy it on pc just to be able to play 1.5 this year, unless Android follows soon after.

lol if you haven't bought it on every possible platform.

Unclouded
Jul 14, 2012

Guildenstern Mother posted:

I don't have it on Vita....

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Guildenstern Mother posted:

look at this poster who bought a Tesla

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?
Sure it was a terrible decision that will ruin myself and my spouses future financially, but now I can scythes whiles I drives and that's what life is really all about.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

https://twitter.com/ConcernedApe/status/1340712716265132033

He's also replying to a bunch of tweets.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Well poo poo now I need to make another save file to have all the farms.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
I mean I guess if you're doing a gimmick run where you don't actually grow any crops it might be OK, but otherwise LOL at living without sprinklers.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Upgraded watering can is not that bad

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Eric the Mauve posted:

I mean I guess if you're doing a gimmick run where you don't actually grow any crops it might be OK, but otherwise LOL at living without sprinklers.

no poo poo. i took one look at that and immediately noped out. i don't want to imagine the amount of labor i save with sprinklers. i mean that literally. i don't want to think about it.

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

Yeah I've only used sprinklers fairly sparingly in the past because I really don't like dealing with the mines very much until the first winter or later and it's really not so bad y'all. Then again, I've never really got the complaints about fishing or animals either. Beach farm might be my niche.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
Holy poo poo, a bundle remixer that can guarantee year one compatible means that it's likely a randomizer rather than just a remixer and I'm extremely here for Stardew Year One Any% races.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

There's nowhere outside the farm that crops will grow right?

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Coolguye posted:

no poo poo. i took one look at that and immediately noped out. i don't want to imagine the amount of labor i save with sprinklers. i mean that literally. i don't want to think about it.

What does one even do in this game other than beelining for sprinklers?

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

cakesmith handyman posted:

There's nowhere outside the farm that crops will grow right?

Tapper trees grow most places outside the farm. Has anyone tried planting anything else?

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Holy poo poo, a bundle remixer that can guarantee year one compatible means that it's likely a randomizer rather than just a remixer and I'm extremely here for Stardew Year One Any% races.

For further details. He also confirms there is -some- normal soil so you may be able to have some sprinkler crops running, just not most of your land.
https://twitter.com/ConcernedApe/status/1340723710609608705
https://twitter.com/ConcernedApe/status/1340724723177541632

Edit: He also confirmed that the sand works completely normally otherwise, so grass/truffles and everything work fine. Just no sprinklers on sand. I'm also pretty interested in being able to change mine rewards, I'm not a huge fan of that part of the game so it'd be nice to skip some of that grind.

Zeron fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Dec 20, 2020

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Crops won't grow outside the farm in any circumstances, nor wild seeds. Just trees, as far as I know.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

I really wonder what changed mine rewards will mean.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Hopefully, it means you don't just get lovely shoe rewards and more slingshots to throw in a chest and ignore.