Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

My Geo fix would be to have Geo be the best shieldbreaking element. Doesn't impact DPS as much as other reactions, but it would have a universal place in most comps since, well, you'd have someone who can reliably break shields, rather than having to restart your run because Klee died to an ice cloud that has terrible visual design around it and looks like the same ice cloud that normally comes up when you hit any ice with fire. But I digress on this purely hypothetical situation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Fatui shields are the only way comp changing is strongly enforced so I'm against that. Running level 1 Kaeya is funny, I want more of that.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe
I agree that Zhong needs work. He's a support that needs support, which is pretty stupid for a 5*. The poor energy gen from placing his stele is only available if you avoid using his shield, so he absolutely has to have someone else stuffing energy into his face if you want to use his excellent burst.

That being said, I've been getting good use out of him as a burst support now that I've tinkered with my team (Ning, ZL, Mona, Diona) to help with energy gen. Diona in 4 piece Exile with an offset crit chance hat and a lvl 70 Favonius Warbow has been huge (and getting more intentional about swapping to catch particles). It's less normal/charged attack spam from Ning most of the time now and lot more chain swapping for Es and Qs, but it's working well for all the 60 resin boss fights and artifact/skill domains I've been grinding. A non-obvious perk of dropping the rock is that it does significant damage to all mage shields, regardless of element, and also petrifies enemies through shields (including fatui, though it doesnt damage their shields off-element at all from what I've seen). Consistent 45k crits on unshielded mobs is nice as well (geo team bonus with shield up, curtain bonus, mona ult bonus, no food) - and I still have 4 levels left to go on most of his artifacts (a couple of which are a pretty meh on substats). It is at least nice that HP is a useful substat on him for both his burst and his shield.

The big downside is that it's a lot harder to make him work in Abyss teams given how many demands elemental shield breaking and reaction damage places on your team comp. But I'm getting there. I'll look forward to whatever buff they want to hand him or geo users in general, but it's keeping me interested in this game between content drops to figure out how to make him work.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:
Rather than slapping damage on crystals like the Abyss buff did, I'd like to see crystallize shields have unique effects depending on the element. Maybe model them after the resonance bonus. Pyro shield gives +ATK%, Cryo gives CRIT%, Electro generates energy particles, and Hydro does, uh, something better than extra heal. Or maybe give it heal, so a Geo/Hydro combo can get away without running a dedicated healer.

Also, make Petra not overwrite itself since it's already weaker than VV and more awkward to use.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

aparmenideanmonad posted:

I agree that Zhong needs work. He's a support that needs support, which is pretty stupid for a 5*. The poor energy gen from placing his stele is only available if you avoid using his shield, so he absolutely has to have someone else stuffing energy into his face if you want to use his excellent burst.

That being said, I've been getting good use out of him as a burst support now that I've tinkered with my team (Ning, ZL, Mona, Diona) to help with energy gen. Diona in 4 piece Exile with an offset crit chance hat and a lvl 70 Favonius Warbow has been huge (and getting more intentional about swapping to catch particles). It's less normal/charged attack spam from Ning most of the time now and lot more chain swapping for Es and Qs, but it's working well for all the 60 resin boss fights and artifact/skill domains I've been grinding. A non-obvious perk of dropping the rock is that it does significant damage to all mage shields, regardless of element, and also petrifies enemies through shields (including fatui, though it doesnt damage their shields off-element at all from what I've seen). Consistent 45k crits on unshielded mobs is nice as well (geo team bonus with shield up, curtain bonus, mona ult bonus, no food) - and I still have 4 levels left to go on most of his artifacts (a couple of which are a pretty meh on substats). It is at least nice that HP is a useful substat on him for both his burst and his shield.

The big downside is that it's a lot harder to make him work in Abyss teams given how many demands elemental shield breaking and reaction damage places on your team comp. But I'm getting there. I'll look forward to whatever buff they want to hand him or geo users in general, but it's keeping me interested in this game between content drops to figure out how to make him work.

If it helps, if you have Ning leveled up and a decently refined Favonius she generates insane energy. Her energy regen is better than Bennet's (And she has synergy with him too for the purposes of getting his attack boosting and healing burst charged faster.) and she generates geo particles on top of regularly producing three orbs from crits.

Granted, you need a favonius with at least 7.5s recharge on the energy gen to really get the most out of it. But each of her projectiles counts for proccing effects. Which means that every charge attack has a good chance of producing the orbs and every burst is almost guaranteed too with a bit of crit. Likewise, I suspect that if her Favonius is refined enough her burst may be able to apply the orb proc twice due to the two waves of attacks if you have her screen out. Which is huge for the long run when it comes to building energy.

The combination of the geo particles and the neutral orbs means that you can recharge Zhongli's burst before it even goes off recharge if you have the right build for Ning. Unfortunately this is an extremely heavy investment for most people. Since you're relying on farming artifacts (and levels. Which is bad since events only give so much and the current rate on leylines is low. Meaning you've got to devote resources to two characters just to get Zhongli's burst to where it can be regularly used.) to get her there. And never mind the gacha of getting enough Favonius Codex's.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Fun Shoe

Archonex posted:

If it helps, if you have Ning leveled up and a decently refined Favonius she generates insane energy. Her energy regen is better than Bennet's (And she has synergy with him too for the purposes of getting his attack boosting and healing burst charged faster.) and she generates geo particles on top of regularly producing three orbs from crits.

Granted, you need a favonius with at least 7.5s recharge on the energy gen to really get the most out of it. But each of her projectiles counts for proccing effects. Which means that every charge attack has a good chance of producing the orbs and every burst is almost guaranteed too with a bit of crit. Likewise, I suspect that if her Favonius is refined enough her burst may be able to apply the orb proc twice due to the two waves of attacks if you have her screen out. Which is huge for the long run when it comes to building energy.

The combination of the geo particles and the neutral orbs means that you can recharge Zhongli's burst before it even goes off recharge if you have the right build for Ning. Unfortunately this is an extremely heavy investment for most people. Since you're relying on farming artifacts (and levels. Which is bad since events only give so much and the current rate on leylines is low. Meaning you've got to devote resources to two characters just to get Zhongli's burst to where it can be regularly used.) to get her there. And never mind the gacha of getting enough Favonius Codex's.
Diona is solving the problem at this point, but this is good info for sure for future team comp tweaking. As Ning is still my main DPS in this lineup, I'd have to get significantly better artifact substats on her to replace the crit rate and excellent bonus damage effect on Solar Pearl. While spamming abilities is doing a lot of work, there are plenty of occasions where she still needs to normal+charged attack spam to kill things.

Definitely something to think about once I'm resource rich in (hopefuly) a few months. Being able to have multiple builds on hand would be a lot of fun, and I hope they add support for artifact profiles eventually. I'd enjoy trying her out as a hybrid DPS/heal support too with the Prototype Malice burst spam builds I've seen some people run.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Upon looking at my artifacts I realized that I actually somehow don't have a single one with both crit rate and crit damage as the sub-stats (like ones you get 4 of, not the big one), at least on a 5*. I have something like ~40 5*s now. Some had Crit damage/rate as the main sub-stat and the other crit stat among the 4 other sub-stats.

Not really a big deal, since a lot of those are still quite good and have good main sub-stats, but I was surprised upon looking at it because I thought at least a few had them.

Regarding Zhongli, I'm guessing it's ideal to build him with a lot of HP (since both his shield and burst scale off of it)? Obviously you probably want geo damage or something on the goblet and there's probably some point where you're better off investing in attack or something, but it seems like it might be better than something like crit for him.

gandlethorpe posted:

Rather than slapping damage on crystals like the Abyss buff did, I'd like to see crystallize shields have unique effects depending on the element. Maybe model them after the resonance bonus. Pyro shield gives +ATK%, Cryo gives CRIT%, Electro generates energy particles, and Hydro does, uh, something better than extra heal. Or maybe give it heal, so a Geo/Hydro combo can get away without running a dedicated healer.

Also, make Petra not overwrite itself since it's already weaker than VV and more awkward to use.

I like this idea a lot.

Small heal or party heal on being hit for hydro might make sense.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Dec 17, 2020

Batigh
Dec 21, 2009

aparmenideanmonad posted:

Diona is solving the problem at this point, but this is good info for sure for future team comp tweaking. As Ning is still my main DPS in this lineup, I'd have to get significantly better artifact substats on her to replace the crit rate and excellent bonus damage effect on Solar Pearl. While spamming abilities is doing a lot of work, there are plenty of occasions where she still needs to normal+charged attack spam to kill things.

Definitely something to think about once I'm resource rich in (hopefuly) a few months. Being able to have multiple builds on hand would be a lot of fun, and I hope they add support for artifact profiles eventually. I'd enjoy trying her out as a hybrid DPS/heal support too with the Prototype Malice burst spam builds I've seen some people run.

Malice Ning is great - definitely sacrifices damage, but it's enough healing + shielding that she can act as one side's healer through the whole abyss... except maybe floor 12 with the huge grabby ice damage.

Bloody Emissary
Mar 31, 2014

Powawa~n

Archonex posted:

(Prior to the allegedly now fired manager that had Zhongli nerfed a month before launch and then ignored all internal feedback from the design team, art team, and even sound team on top of all of the beta testers saying he was busted.)

Where'd you hear that? I've been keeping up on most of the rumors around this whole Zhongli debacle, but I haven't heard that one before.

quote:

Or how his E was supposed to be able to do heavy damage to mobs that were petrified when held, hence the reason why his hold-e secretly actually applies two hits to geo element aspected objects (And the second hit is definitely a doozy. Take a look at how much it hacks off of the pillars in the geo boss fight or against geo shield enemies.) and only one hit to other elements and neutral aspected things. Likewise, he apparently was around the chef girl's auto DPS originally according to some leaked beta reports. None of this made it to release. And some of it didn't even make it to beta.

It was pretty obvious from minute one that they had stripped out some existing Petrify synergy from his E. Petrify doesn't do anything with the rest of his kit, and since it's just a crappier version of freeze in its current state, it sticks out like a sore thumb. At first, I figured the missing mechanic was related to resonance in some way and maybe Petrified enemies used to resonate with the pillars....but they don't actually turn into Geo constructs according to elemental sight, which nixed that theory.

Extra damage on the hold-E makes more sense. It also explains why he doesn't get invulnerability during the hold-E, even though that seems like something you'd want for a stand-still-and-put-up-shield ability—you would have been primarily using it during Petrify when there's no risk of him taking damage.

Clarste posted:

Not getting into conspiracy theories, but it seems to me like a simple buff to Geo would be to just have Crystallize reactions do a bit of damage in addition to creating the shield. It doesn't even have to be a lot of damage, just enough to encourage some interactivity.

One of the loading screen tips implies that this was in the game at some point in development, but later got removed. Maybe some dumb-dumb decided it would be better as an occasional Abyss buff?

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Fun Shoe

Ytlaya posted:

Regarding Zhongli, I'm guessing it's ideal to build him with a lot of HP (since both his shield and burst scale off of it)? Obviously you probably want geo damage or something on the goblet and there's probably some point where you're better off investing in attack or something, but it seems like it might be better than something like crit for him.

If you want number to go up as much as possible on his burst, you are still going to want ATK sands, geo dmg cup, and crit dmg hat. You could argue for HP sands, but the others are not really negotiable unless you're only using him as a shield bot. In any case, HP substats are not something to be mad about on him, for example, this is suboptimal to poor rolls for most characters but it's a great piece on him:

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

supports with some differing scaling in their kit are kinda nice that way, at least when you're aware they exist ahead of your artifact farming (rip all the hypothetically good fodder)

getting HP% rolls still sucks but i can at least know it's giving some benefit to XQ or Zhongli, same as getting def subs makes some artifacts marginally better for Xinyan, etc

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

Ytlaya posted:

I like this idea a lot.

Small heal or party heal on being hit for hydro might make sense.

Something to keep in mind is that critting with his burst can double or more the damage. And at first glance, with a bit of attack and a geo damage artifact it seems like that HP talent can really boost the damage to obscene amounts. At the moment I have about 75% crit damage on him and he hits for 11-15k per burst in normal damage depending on artifact loadout. If it crits that rockets up to anywhere 20+-35k depending on food. And that's with some fairly subpar substats since I have terrible luck with the artifact grind. Dude's designed to be a monster if you invest heavily in him. It's just that his other aspects are so subpar it's questionable if it's worth it to run him.

Bloody Emissary posted:

Where'd you hear that? I've been keeping up on most of the rumors around this whole Zhongli debacle, but I haven't heard that one before.

It got buried in all the drama so I can't find all the threads anymore (And they may have been deleted since MiHoYo has been fairly on point about dealing with leaks.) but a bunch of stuff got leaked by employees of MiHoYo and other companies employees that were ragging on the employee in charge of the fiasco with Zhongli. Most of it was in chinese, though at least one thread on reddit tried to translate for folks that can't read it.

The TL;DR: was that there were a number of chat logs where what is allegedly one of the MiHoYo employees involved with the release of Zhongli was trying to run PR and damage control on the feedback he was getting only to end up repeatedly making all the people in the (again, chinese, so good loving luck translating all of it. Especially now that I can't find the threads on it) chat point out how he was just saying increasingly scummy things that were going to piss people off even more if they actually made it to release. At least one of these chat logs involved some chat app where a bunch of other mobile game devs hang out in. I wish I could remember the finer details of what app it was, since that would maybe let me find some of them.

Notably, some of these chat logs were released prior to the official statement by MiHoYo. The remarks by said employee actually directly coincided with their official statement on the character. And given what little I could get out of the chinese community it seems like the consensus is that they were in fact real. So it seems like said person really stepped in it.

Between that, the increasingly reliability of leaks that were ticking up in number, the allegedly extremely poor sales on the banner once word got around about Zhongli's usefulness, and the chinese, japanese, and english communities absolutely losing their goddamn minds over how crappy Zhongli is it seems that someone higher up perked up and has intervened. Hence the "We're putting Zhongli back into testing in 1.3" image that got posted by MiHoYo. The weird epic drama/vengeance plot Reddit has gone with is obviously bonkers, but it does appear that someone higher up has put their foot down for financial and PR reasons.

As for the employee, nothing's been out and out said yet (and given the conduct of companies it won't ever be. Announcing you straight up fired someone for their gently caress up tends to get bad PR from a certain sort of group of people.) but from the sound of what little has been released it's almost certain that the manager/employee that ignored the testing feedback they received for about a month straight was either told to make some changes to their policy on the characcter, was reassigned, or "resigned". And by resigned I mean resigned in the way that people in companies and governments suddenly resign to avoid having their employment with the company look bad on their resume. Naturally, reddit being reddit the latter is what they've chosen to go with as their preferred theory.

Mostly people are waiting for another leak to see if that's true or not. Though it may not actually come since it seems like the outrage has died down since MiHoYo posted the whole buffing Zhongli in 1.3 thing.

That being said, I suspect the assumption that he was fired is because there's been a fairly massive tonal change all of a sudden from MiHoYo about Zhongli. Their prior remarks to the chinese and english community seemed to infer that they considered him acceptable for a 5 star as is. So some sort of shake up appears to have occurred.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Dec 17, 2020

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

My favorite detail was the writer who threatened to quit unless the manager who was responsible for toning Zhong down got fired, which absolutely happened I'm sure. It's like QAnon, but for gacha games.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

No Wave posted:

It's like QAnon, but for gacha games.

Except there's some real concerns there that are getting drowned out by all the bullshit dumbass hoaxers and shitposters who keep trying to muddy a fact based community response.

It's honestly tedious enough to try and source and verify rumors that i've just kind of given up following the drama around Zhongli's release. The chat log thing and the animation thing were pretty much the last things I looked into and verified to see if they were true.

It's unfortunate, since reddit is the primary location for people translating stuff from chinese and a small but very vocal portion of that community lost their poo poo when Zhongli was released. Unfortunately, that small but vocal minority makes it really loving obnoxious to actually verify things that are posted about Zhongli. Especially since i'm like 95% certain some of them are deliberately making things up to try and stir up more drama for laughs.

I pity the people actually trying to drop hard statistics and data mined data to show that there is something wrong with Zhongli. Half the time they post some megapost showing proof that he needs a buff only to get thread bombed by people who have apparently declared a blood feud with MiHoYo. At which point the whole thing gets derailed into a circle jerky bitch fest that accomplishes nothing.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Dec 17, 2020

Dom is Here
Nov 11, 2016

Lipstick Apathy

gandlethorpe posted:

5th Razor pull from the banner :shepface:

For the record:
  • Xinyans: 9
  • Razors: 5
  • Zhonglis: 3
  • Qiqis: 1
  • Fischls: 1
  • 4* weapons: 5

• Chongyuns: 0

welcome...to a world of gacha *thunderclap*

YES bread
Jun 16, 2006

No Wave posted:

My favorite detail was the writer who threatened to quit unless the manager who was responsible for toning Zhong down got fired, which absolutely happened I'm sure. It's like QAnon, but for gacha games.

people see reddit and CN forums being spammed with dozens of threads about the topic with thousand of upvotes and desperately want there to be some kind of corresponding real life drama. in reality it's just normal boring office poo poo.

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

Archonex posted:

Unfortunately, that small but vocal minority makes it really loving obnoxious to actually verify things [...]. Especially since i'm like 95% certain some of them are deliberately making things up to try and stir up more drama for laughs.
so its like QAnon, but for gatcha games

Archonex
May 2, 2012

awesmoe posted:

so its like QAnon, but for gatcha games

You know, if anything, i'd say it's worse than QAnon. QAnon is crazy bowling green type nonsense. It's the culmination of decades of Republican propaganda to try and estrange people from the reality of the country coupled with and amplified by the echo chambers that developed around social media. Meaning if you read actual QAnon posts it's blatantly obvious to anyone without a mental illness (or deep into the Fox News media sphere) that it's completely bullshit and made up.

The people on reddit going full qanon with Zhongli are actually either smart enough (I...have my doubts about this.) or more likely attentive enough to work actual real, honest to god data people have posted that proves he's a badly designed character that needs a buff or rework into their theories. Whereas QAnon is clearly bullshit this is some folks basically going full Fox News with a gacha game and mixing a little truth with lies to verify their biases.

This makes it hard for people that aren't keeping up on their weird rolling zeitgeist to differentiate between what is correct and what isn't. Since they have to go through every. loving. detail. with a fine toothed comb to discern what is true (and to be fair, there is a fair bit of verifiable stuff there that shows that he's desperately underpowered for a 5 star.) and what is people playing a very deceptive version of whisper down the line to get to the reality they want to believe in.

It's why I just kind of threw my hands up and said the gently caress with following the leaks and rumors after looking into the last two things I mentioned. I don't mind digging deep into the lore and posting massive :words: posts for the people on here that enjoy the backstory and where it might go. But I really just do not have the time to deal with the extra layer of rolling bullshit that gets tacked onto this drama fest.

Edit: I should add that I don't know why the folks trying to stir poo poo up are doing this. This isn't politics. Making things up is not going to get you the result you want when the issue of numbers and hard statistics is involved. If MiHoYo is in fact tracking the major communities and their response then having a bunch of people mad about things that are obviously untrue isn't going to make them cave. It's just going to make them think the community can't be trusted to give reliable feedback.

Meanwhile, there's plenty of hard data to suggest that he really does need a buff, which could have been used to actually push MiHoYo to buff Zhongli sooner or later. Thankfully it seems they actually listened to that rather than the epic story of Zhongli's betrayal by the coward MiHoYo or whatever the heck it is they're on about.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Dec 17, 2020

kater
Nov 16, 2010

Stop trying to talk me out of Albedo he is maximum dreamy I must have.

Also that 1.2 preview makes me want to level Amber so I can have a suitable explorer to climb the mountains with.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

No Wave posted:

Fatui shields are the only way comp changing is strongly enforced so I'm against that. Running level 1 Kaeya is funny, I want more of that.

Shields are such a binary (i.e., you either have the right counter or you don't) coupled with the fact that you can just get stunlocked to death, especially against domain fatui comps, that I'm okay with not having to rely on one and only one character to be able to do a level. You can give the Fatui an elemental weakness and that would still encouraging having different comps/elements without hardlocking you out of a level/domain if your dude dies because you got caught in an ice prison and then electrohammered.

It would also make overworld much easier in the absence of a swifter team change mechanism.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

Paying attention to Zhongli drama is such a waste of time and energy. Just have low expectations to start with, be pleasantly surprised when he's actually pretty fun and unique when you bother to use him, and cross your fingers that they eventually buff Geo because that's the real design issue.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I've probably rolled a dozen worse SSR/5 stars in other gacha games more recently for games running much longer than Zhong Li, and those have a worse pity rate than Genshin.

Sometimes you wait 5 years for a buff to your favorite character only to it being poo poo like Okita Souji.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

I want crystallize to damage nearby shields. Like it’s chipping off the element or something.

Also they are going to have to find a way for enemies to use geo reactions and that makes sense while also maybe keeping the billions of shield characters they want to make in check.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

reach acceptance, and be glad simply to fill out your roster with another man who nicely fills out a pair of pants

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Make Zhongli normal attacks do an extra percentage of geo damage :getin:

kater
Nov 16, 2010

Make zhong autos throw one mora from your inventory for a damage.

Ashenai
Oct 5, 2005

You taught me language;
and my profit on't
Is, I know how to curse.

kater posted:

Make zhong autos throw one mora from your inventory for a damage.

I want him to throw my primogems like shuriken

Archonex
May 2, 2012

S.J. posted:

Make Zhongli normal attacks do an extra percentage of geo damage :getin:

While it hasn't been confirmed and is currently just a theory there is some pretty credible evidence that he was supposed to do this at some point. Probably in the design/pre beta stage since I haven't heard of it making it to beta.

There was a thread that points out that his auto attacks glow like an elemental skill or elemental damage being applied. That's a clear thematic art direction with the rest of the characters that he doesn't follow. The art team clearly figured that something was going to happen there that never did.

An excerpt from the person that did a once over on his design --- specifically how elemental vision and visual effects interact with characters posted:

His weapon turns Geo Yellow during his auto chain at hit number 1, 4, 5, charged attack

Under elemental vision: weapons are observed as grey if the wielder does physical damage, and will turn the color of corresponding element if the autos are doing elemental damage

Diluc's weapon is grey before ulting, and red after ulting, Keqing's weapon is grey before casting E, and purple after casting E

Zhongli's weapon turns Geo Yellow (identical to Ningguang and Noelle's autos after Q) at hit 1, 4, 5 in his auto chain, and his charged attack

(Skipping ahead in the post a bit.)

Test 1: Zhongli's 1,4,5 and charge attack is the same category as Tartaglia's E (melee form) autos, which is elemental (hydro) damage

Setup: Go to Settings > Graphics > Co-Op Teammates Effects > Off

When you use elemental vision to observe your teammate Tartaglia perform melee autoattacks under this setup, the hydro elemental daggers will not appear on your screen

This effect is shared with Zhongli, but his weapon only disappears on attacks 1, 4, 5 and charged attacks

https://www.reddit.com/r/Genshin_Impact/comments/kebty0/reverse_engineering_zhongli_his_autoattacks_did/

I didn't even think to check to see if characters lit up like that until I read that post. Heck, given how quick elemental vision disables on attacking I didn't even think it was possible until that post pointed this out. Turns out that not only is it possible but upon looking at Zhongli in game it does appear that that thread is right about him having the same visual theme as characters that do elemental damage in their attacks. Most likely the art team was acting under orders to add in a visual feature that was a part of his kit that didn't make it to release.

It'd also coincide with his old design. Which allegedly had a geo res debuff in his burst and a hold-e that was supposedly going to do damage to petrified characters similar to how his hold-e currently does a secret second heavy damage extra attack to rock shields, pillars, and other geo aspected objects. All of which would have made him a useful character (and highly desirable to boot) due to him being the first character with an official finisher move. It also probably could have opened up a way to make geo not actually suck. That is, assuming they stuck with that theme of setting up enemies to hit with a high damage finisher skill in designing new geo characters.

There's a lot of other stuff there that shows how he clearly had some sort of elemental auto attack stripped out. He even uses Chongyun (A character in his banner no less.) to show how there's something very hinky going on there that suggests yet another crucial part of his character was stripped out. But I figured that'd be a good intro to it. :shrug:

Edit:

dogsicle posted:

he doesn't even use your equipped spear for those animations which is the real "giveaway" tbh

Yeah, I didn't mention that in that quote (I think it gets pointed out in that thread.) but that's the other thing. He's using art assets that are completely out of line with the design of the rest of the game in multiple ways.

Dude's just broken all around, unfortunately. Still has a good burst if you can find a way to rapidly charge it though.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Dec 17, 2020

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

he doesn't even use your equipped spear for those animations which is the real "giveaway" tbh

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

kater posted:

Stop trying to talk me out of Albedo he is maximum dreamy
this is the most important factor. for all the crying I'm happy with my C2 Zhongli because he is my beautiful meteor-dropping husbando and nothing can take that away from me. if you wanna ride Elevator Boy all the way to the top then godspeed young voyageur

ExtrudeAlongCurve
Oct 21, 2010

Lambert is my Homeboy

Soothing Vapors posted:

he is my beautiful meteor-dropping husbando and nothing can take that away from me

This. I'll be happy if he is stronger someday but I can't say I have any regrets.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

dogsicle posted:

reach acceptance, and be glad simply to fill out your roster with another man who nicely fills out a pair of pants

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

Unless there's beta footage with Geo-colored damage numbers from his attacks, that's just another conspiracy theory to me. Releasing a melee character that deals elemental damage every other hit as a baseline trait not tied to cooldowns would be plain broken.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

What’s the difference between melee and range? Does Klee even count as ranged she throws like a six year old.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Even if he did have elemental attacks at some point during development I'm not sure what that proves. I assume a lot of characters go through a lot of different revisions during development. Gyouba had 100% uptime during CBT and was broken but it's not like the Xiangling we're currently playing with is a fake.

(I don't think having half geo elemental attacks would even do a whole lot for him.)

No Wave fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Dec 17, 2020

Archonex
May 2, 2012

gandlethorpe posted:

Unless there's beta footage with Geo-colored damage numbers from his attacks, that's just another conspiracy theory to me. Releasing a melee character that deals elemental damage every other hit as a baseline trait not tied to cooldowns would be plain broken.

Sorry to tell you this, but unless they've dropped the established theme (and even the code for the game, since the application of weapon buffs via characters like Chongyun is included in the visual layout and is all sorts of fucky for Zhongli) on how the visuals for each character work it does seem like it's correct. Most likely the art team was told to make animations for his older design and they never updated them. Likewise, the coding team didn't (and realistically speaking couldn't be expected to in such a short amount of time) update the code for when special elemental attacks were applied to account for this. Meaning he still keeps the geo visual theme for geo elemental attacks even when he doesn't have them or when it should be overwritten by another element.

It's hard to say why they did this. Maybe because it was too late in development to literally reanimate an entire character's attack sequence to be more mundane like Xiangliang's attack sequence? Or, failing that, they didn't want to recode the entire chunk of the game that shows how visual effects for elements work? Heck, maybe they didn't change it to reflect how it currently works because it was cooler than a natural spear attack, even if it didn't do anything any more. Who knows. :shrug:

There's clearly some junk in there though that, barring some hitherto unknown data, all but says his auto attack worked far differently at an earlier stage in development. His auto just never got updated to where it visually reflected how it currently works. It's just a bit of old visuals left over from his older design that the current code can't account for.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Dec 17, 2020

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

cmon guys, you know they nerfed Zhongli and chose to run Albedo after so their end of year numbers would look lovely and they could immediately show growth with the Ganyu and Xiao banners

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
I'm totally reserving judgment on Albedo until he's out and tested. Factors like energy generation, whether the pillar resonates or the entire field when a Zhongli stele is down, whether his A4 grants EM to switched allies and not just himself and coop allies, and how badly he fucks up reactions are too uncertain at the moment. I'm also not clear on how his C2 actually works as the way it's written on datamining sites makes no sense; "increases DMG by 30% of Albedo's DEF" isn't how DMG increases work, unless it means that each hit deals an extra hit (akin to the Crescent Pike) equal to 30% of his DEF, and then what type of damage is that (usually when not said it's Physical) and how, if at all, can it be boosted?

To illustrate what I mean, if he has 1k DEF then each stack of the C2 buff would cause his attacks to either do 300 more damage each or do an extra hit with a base power of 300. Usually after enemy mitigation it'll be around half that. If he also has 1.5k ATK and lv6 autos he'd be doing around 800 base power on his first swing, which again is often halved. Maxed out at 4 stacks, he'd do 400ish with the swing and 600ish from C2, which if also phys and subject to boosting would be like having a multiplier of 71% instead of 53.4%. That's on the level of Jean, who ain't terrible at melee, and he'd be doing like 1800 damage every 6s, worse than Gale Blade but without yeeting things into the next county. If the C2 bonus is Geo damage, then you can literally let his Geo melee carry him because it outdamages his swings until extremely high skill levels. And if each Transient Blossom procs a Geo particle, that plus his C1 will result in him cycling his Burst very quickly. And that's not factoring in more DEF and ATK; with Aquila Favonia I could easily see him hitting 2k in both with decent Crit too.

What I'm saying is basically that his C2 is either a disappointingly small DPS gain compared to what it sounds like, or a batshit insane constellation that could very well turn him into a tanky primary DPS, and possibly a Physical Geo DPS. This would mitigate a LOT of Geo awkwardness, because you don't need to proc Superconduct that often, and AF is just a bullshit good phys carry weapon so being Sword would be huge upside. (Consider Kaeya and C6 Fischl as supports; Crystallize or not, Superconduct is happening.)

Because this could vary wildly on what certain wordings actually mean, do NOT roll on him for mechanics reasons until that's all tested. If you just want him then go for it and enjoy, but I think he's either going to be kinda lovely or secretly what people expected Zhongli to be and folks are going to be pissed if it's the latter.

Nakar fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Dec 17, 2020

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

Those videos don't prove anything. The conjured spears look the same in normal and elemental vision, so if anything they're just special models exempt from elemental vision. There's no other character with special models in their attack animation, so there's nothing to compare to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
Oh also if his Blossoms can proc Shatter that might be really funny since he can give himself an EM buff and while EM does very little for Crystallize it does scale the damage of Shatter. Pop a field, get your Freeze team out, repeat. Likely to be bad but again it will be super dependent on testing and the way Albedo fits together (or doesn't).

Seriously do not touch this banner until some math-loving whale goes first and be very skeptical of early use reports.