Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Partial Octopus
Feb 4, 2006

Called in sick and went to Vail today. They under reported by a lot. They got a good foot overnight. Decent pow for the first hour or so of the day and the lines weren't too bad either.

I took a core shot riding in the the trees. so I guess I have a rock board now. A bit too early in the season to be where I was I suppose.

Also I was really surprised by the amount of foreigners I kept encountering. I assumed there would be more travel restrictions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UZR IS BULLSHIT
Jan 25, 2004
Thanks guys, it's my first time buying new gear in over 10 years, so I wasn't sure how meticulous I should be with cleaning that kind of stuff up

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Partial Octopus posted:

Called in sick and went to Vail today. They under reported by a lot. They got a good foot overnight. Decent pow for the first hour or so of the day and the lines weren't too bad either.

I took a core shot riding in the the trees. so I guess I have a rock board now. A bit too early in the season to be where I was I suppose.

Also I was really surprised by the amount of foreigners I kept encountering. I assumed there would be more travel restrictions.

Vail reports the 5am to 5am off the snow stick on the front side of the mountain. Vail is huge though so you get a lot of variation. Also between 5am - 9am you can sometime get a bunch of snow. So I wouldn't say they under reported per say. Plus they keep opening more terrain which will ride nice a deep.

Pics of core shot please.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

MacPac posted:

Got some frost in the mustache the other day!

First trip of the season and we got amazingly lucky with the weather. Sunny, nearly windless and -7c.

Oh hey groon buddy! Have some fellow Norge skiers getting their free ski on:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_qlpvz4xd5o

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

WHERE MY HAT IS AT posted:

Sunshine this weekend was nuts, we showed up Sunday morning around 8:30 (gondola starts at 8, first chair 9) and the line was winding its way through three rows of parked cars with loads more people streaming in. Turned around and we're going back this afternoon instead.

Stole this from one of the local facebook groups, Saturday morning: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1GTSFUr2bjI

what the ever loving Christ

stratdax
Sep 14, 2006

Bilirubin posted:

Oh hey groon buddy! Have some fellow Norge skiers getting their free ski on:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_qlpvz4xd5o

I've been watching a lot of Schirmer's vids recently. They're fairly refreshing I think. Lots of pros put stuff out but it's tough to find a good pro with charisma or at least a personality that isn't exhausting. He has a good crew, his editing is pretty unique in where he starts or ends a scene, and he's a beast.

I would go to the theater every year for the latest TGR movie they would tour through town but the formula was getting pretty stale. I remember enjoying Matchstick's movies more but I don't think I've seen one in a while. Although they did just blow up Mt Cain so gently caress 'em.

WHERE MY HAT IS AT
Jan 7, 2011

Bilirubin posted:

what the ever loving Christ

A friend waited 40 minutes today at 9am. On a Wednesday! I know we got a decent dumping but goddamn do I miss non-covid times.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

stratdax posted:

I've been watching a lot of Schirmer's vids recently. They're fairly refreshing I think. Lots of pros put stuff out but it's tough to find a good pro with charisma or at least a personality that isn't exhausting. He has a good crew, his editing is pretty unique in where he starts or ends a scene, and he's a beast.

I would go to the theater every year for the latest TGR movie they would tour through town but the formula was getting pretty stale. I remember enjoying Matchstick's movies more but I don't think I've seen one in a while. Although they did just blow up Mt Cain so gently caress 'em.

the editing on that was pretty incredible I thought, the first skier blew down the couloir obviously concerned about the (discussed, wow educational aspects in a skibro flick?!?) avvy concerns, the next took a more leisurely time down, but the third's gopro really showed the speed those dudes were building in cheek clenching fashion. Plus I loved the drone hand off and those distanced shots, holy hell.

Also a righteous dude doing fundraising and discussing charity administrative fee levels.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

WHERE MY HAT IS AT posted:

A friend waited 40 minutes today at 9am. On a Wednesday! I know we got a decent dumping but goddamn do I miss non-covid times.

Yeah no.

Mind I did wait that for the gondola at Louise when I forgot that the midweek day we picked was Family Day :facepalm: so its not terrible but still, given my lack of condition maintenance this summer, ugh, this season is probably not happening for me

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

marjorie posted:

I'm in a women's 7 (and starting with a men's regular board) so should be no worries there. But thanks for the tip!

You are (as you’ve already been informed) 100% fine there. What board did you get to pair those with?

highme
May 25, 2001

denereal visease posted:

What's the state of snowboard movies in 2020, have they gone to fully digital platform-agnostic (ie, don't need iTunes or w/e) distribution? What are some good videos from the last couple years?

I always loved Airblaster and Think Thank videos, but all of my videos are like a decade old at this point and I sadly have no idea how the sport has progressed over the past ten years :(

e: and Car Danchi, gently caress I love Car Danchi

So while Absinthe still puts out a new movie every year, thanks to social media most things have moved to shorter films, episodic content, or just IG edits. With that said, there’s some fun poo poo to get caught up on. And AB is definitely still putting out fun poo poo.

First up, Yaw Goons. 5 dudes from tiny spot in Rhode Island.
https://vimeo.com/476612282

Beyond Medals has been putting out some of my favorite “high production” movies of late. All of their riders are great, but Kevin Backstrom is on some poo poo.
https://youtu.be/dy6NAoq1iXI

Turns out rad dads might spend more money on themselves if there was a niche catering directly to them and now you have brands like Korua making directional free ride boards and content to match. Their latest from their Yearning for Turning series is PNW focused, so it’s my favorite.
https://youtu.be/oo-Jk2-w74Y

Jess Kimura got hurt a few years ago and used her filming budget to produce a movie of other women called The Uninvited and it was amazing. The Uninvited 2 just dropped.
https://youtu.be/yIgcYSQyrSk

Arthur Longo boosts off side hits in ways that make no sense.
https://youtu.be/-p_Nu4AHM6Q

Oh yeah, Nico Mueller came out as full Q moron and lost all his sponsors.

marjorie
May 4, 2014

highme posted:

You are (as you’ve already been informed) 100% fine there. What board did you get to pair those with?

I got a Flow Merc 156 from 2018. I was going for cheap but still good for beginner\progression as I'm definitely very new to everything. I'm hoping I didn't mess up too badly with that choice! It seemed to have a good enough reputation that I could probably offload it if I find it doesn't work for me. My choice for a women's board would've probably been a K2 Bright Lite, but it was hard to find in my size.

I've dipped a toe in snowboarding a few times spread out over a couple seasons, and gotta say I'm actually really stoked to give it a solid go this year.

denereal visease
Nov 27, 2002

"Research your own experience. Absorb what is useful, reject what is useless, add what is essentially your own."

highme posted:

QAnon?

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Big John Delancey fan

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.

highme posted:

To the best if my knowledge, Mueller's stuff isn't him expressing a political opinion per se. When I read his posts, it seems pretty much like a descent into schizophrenia which typically starts in adulthood. I've had a very close friend and an acquaintance who've suffered the same and dismissing Muller as a QAnon guy ignores the possibility that he's really sick. I don't think he's a QAnon guy as much as QAnon conspiracy theories ratify his delusions.

quote:

the Best is yet to come 🙌 may Nesara free mankind and the planet from the satanic Hijackers, release the hidden technologies and lead us into Nikola Tesla free energy future *18* Chi 1+8=9 GOD where oil will be reduced to a lubricant. We’ve been indoctrinated to believe we need to explode, burn to gain energy when in fact magnetism, 8, is infinite! This and much more was purposely hidden, absent from our school books and these days... 1 minute before midnight, you have the Satanists puppet promoting their scientists. Funded by them since 100‘s of years, shouting all their CO2 lies, calling for reducing it while they burn rainforets to further destroy bio diversity through their poison crop, and promote ☢️ powered green tech bullshit where they want us in SMART homes controlled and served by AI! Let me help you to connect the dots... After bringing back all the „miracle weapons technologies“ after WW2, John D Trump was in office and the only one who saw the original Tesla documents. Long story short, the reason why they need to get rid of Donald J Trump so bad is cause his Alliance is ending their lies, crimes against humanity and all their horrific acts against Mother Earth and their children by releasing what JFK already wanted. Plus the Gold and Silver backed Financial System that will replace the current Fiat Dollar aka Monopoly money infiltrated System controlled by... let’s just say all roads lead to Rome to a place that’s not part of Italy. And by the way the 2. time they were gonna activate Nesara 9/11 happened... Corona would be the third and final time. There’s no stopping this! Please connect the dots and know that all the money they have been stealing from us will be granted back to us. Funds are already in place and every country will be part of the Future planning agencies with the sole mission to end poverty and restore Earths ecosystem 🙏🕯💜 GOD wins

Yuns fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Dec 17, 2020

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

can't believe the new Dr Bronners label leaked already

Moot .1415926535
Mar 24, 2006

Yep, that's pretty much it.

Spime Wrangler posted:

lmao dead on

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.

Spime Wrangler posted:

That's an amazingly accurate summary.

huhu
Feb 24, 2006
I tried out my new split board today in my neighborhood on flat ground. I am very out of shape.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

highme posted:

This is just the saddest thing though. Arguably one of the best, most stylish big mountain riders ever. His Methods just pure beauty. When the movie Fruition came out about his it was pretty evident that he was really changing, I can't speculate on the cause though.

highme
May 25, 2001

Yeah, Fruition was a pretty good preview of what's to come.

Also denereal visease here's almost 100 pages of posts pretty much dedicated to posting and talking about video clips. Was going to link it last night but was on my phone and ezloungin sucks to navigate on a phone (somebody should really look into fixing that but oh well).

https://ezloungin.com/ezlounge/the-lounge/the-official-teaser-edit-and-video-thread/

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

hey how the gently caress am I supposed to get a goggle tan wearing a mask all winter

Macnult
Jul 7, 2013

I snowboarded a mtb singletrack for the first time ever yesterday at Wisp and I think my life has been changed forever. Nonstop berms and jumps had me feeling like I was on a pump track

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Steve French posted:

hey how the gently caress am I supposed to get a goggle tan wearing a mask all winter
goggle tans were becoming too mainstream, now they will signify significant backcountry days on snow

Master_Odin
Apr 15, 2010

My spear never misses its mark...

ladies
Waking up to a fresh 3" on what's been a terrible season so far. :bubblewoop:

Seeing the report that the mountain 40 miles south is reporting 16". :negative:

Stupid nor'easter swinging too far south. :argh:

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

yeah man all those jerks are getting slammed and I'm sitting here in the ostensible snowiest city in the country and we don't even have enough to run the xc groomers yet

at least the ski hill will open on manmade this weekend and there's finally some lake effect in the forecast

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

California still dry as a loving bone.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Macnult posted:

I snowboarded a mtb singletrack for the first time ever yesterday at Wisp and I think my life has been changed forever. Nonstop berms and jumps had me feeling like I was on a pump track

Basically a hand dug banked slalom kind a feel I am guessing.

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

Spime Wrangler posted:

yeah man all those jerks are getting slammed and I'm sitting here in the ostensible snowiest city in the country and we don't even have enough to run the xc groomers yet

at least the ski hill will open on manmade this weekend and there's finally some lake effect in the forecast

Where are you looking that says the snowiest city in the country isn't one of [Rochester, Syracuse, Buffalo]?

bawfuls posted:

California still dry as a loving bone.

I mean, it's below average for the year by a good bit so far here, but dry as a bone didn't feel apt this morning

Varg
Jan 13, 2007

A friendly face.

December 17 might be the earliest I've ever rode actual powder in Pennsylvania. Blue Mountain got about a foot, I got 5 runs in before the lift lines got stupidly long and left. They way over sold tickets with 2 lifts and 5 trails open.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Steve French posted:

Where are you looking that says the snowiest city in the country isn't one of [Rochester, Syracuse, Buffalo]?

I mean, it's below average for the year by a good bit so far here, but dry as a bone didn't feel apt this morning

the recent weather looked like it caught more of Tahoe than Mammoth, the latter hasn't had enough to make it worth going up yet for me.

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

bawfuls posted:

the recent weather looked like it caught more of Tahoe than Mammoth, the latter hasn't had enough to make it worth going up yet for me.

yeah, the trend so far up here has for sure been that we've been on the very southern edge of pretty much all the storms that have hit (... like 3, all pretty small)

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Its also a balancing act this year, since ikon will let you apply this year's pass payment towards next year if you don't use it. So with a slow start to the season, I have to weigh when its good enough to be worth using the pass this year or calling this winter a wash and saving it for next.

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

bawfuls posted:

Its also a balancing act this year, since ikon will let you apply this year's pass payment towards next year if you don't use it. So with a slow start to the season, I have to weigh when its good enough to be worth using the pass this year or calling this winter a wash and saving it for next.

Yeah, I gave at least a little bit of thought to that. But the balance is much different for me; I'm only ever going midweek for the most part any way because of toddlers on the weekends, so I'm less concerned about lift lines and safety (wild hearing about huge midweek lines elsewhere; I have yet to wait in a line with more than 20 - 30 other people in the whole corral yet, even today with fresh snow) and being 20 minutes from the resort makes me more confident I'll get good use out of the pass. It won't take much more for it to already be a better season for me than last year... when I got (lost) my first opportunity at storm skiing literally the same day everything shut down.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

Steve French posted:

I think ‘city’ is probably the sticking point here.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

Opening day at Mountain Creek and we got about a foot+ of snow. I couldn't go because of work but apparently despite all the training of employees and new rules (including a new mandatory course on dealing with people who refuse to wear a mask), the reports on social media are that the valued guests were not wearing masks or wearing them improperly and weren't social distancing and that the new lift procedures resulted in an hour long wait. I'm one of the point people for COVID safety compliance for the race team so despite all our work and planning I expect that we're going to get hosed.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Yuns posted:

Opening day at Mountain Creek and we got about a foot+ of snow. I couldn't go because of work but apparently despite all the training of employees and new rules (including a new mandatory course on dealing with people who refuse to wear a mask), the reports on social media are that the valued guests were not wearing masks or wearing them improperly and weren't social distancing and that the new lift procedures resulted in an hour long wait. I'm one of the point people for COVID safety compliance for the race team so despite all our work and planning I expect that we're going to get hosed.

Anecdotally, from what I have seen on my mountain, is that there are just too many people refusing to wear mask properly or at all and even though the resort staff keeps asking people to mask up they don't, and there is only so much a liftie is going to go through. I mean, they still have a job that requires them to be paying a lot of attention to what's going on with the lift, and my mountain doesn't seem to have supplemented their numbers to help with enforcement, so the whole situation is just lovely.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

My favorite snowboarding film is one from Airblaster and its just 70s rock tunes with groups of friends doing happy laps in resorts - side hits, butters, slashes and sprays. Its extremely fun and relatable to watch.

Like i love watching trice drop crazy alaskan spines and stuff but its hard to get the feeling watching something like that when you've never actually experienced it.

the shredbots guys are pretty fun too, some of their earlier videos featuring little skits and comedy bits are pretty fun, although there was a while there where they were putting a looooot of the apres footage in that was getting a bit misogynistic (lookin at you Torstein)

highme
May 25, 2001

IncredibleIgloo posted:

Anecdotally, from what I have seen on my mountain, is that there are just too many people refusing to wear mask properly or at all and even though the resort staff keeps asking people to mask up they don't, and there is only so much a liftie is going to go through. I mean, they still have a job that requires them to be paying a lot of attention to what's going on with the lift, and my mountain doesn't seem to have supplemented their numbers to help with enforcement, so the whole situation is just lovely.

My intent was to go up tomorrow and every time I open SkiHood.com I see "No Mask, No Lift Access" how did I know that was not true?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

Steve French posted:

It's this

PCjr sidecar posted:

I think ‘city’ is probably the sticking point here.

I'm in Houghton, MI - our pop is only ~7k, or ~14k when the university is in session, but our average yearly snowfall is double any of those places at 200+". Apparently Valdez, AK gets more but we top the lists in the lower 48.

In other news I pulled my bindings off and helicoiled them tonight - didn't even gently caress it up too bad! Going to feel a lot better about pushing the tele turns now.